• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 25 years I am finally gaming on PC, And its glorious.

0racle

Guys, I really do not know why it took me this long to finally make the switch but after numerous attempts I think I am in it for the long run.

I have had this PC for the better part of a year, I never really used it as it was in the basement, so it probably had under 20 hrs total for a year and it was used primarily for web browsing.

1 x i7 6700K Skylake processer 4.0ghz (Can be OC much further)

1 x GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming GT (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1 x 250g SSD on top of that one.

1 x Windows 10 Home - Full Version (32 & 64-bit) / USB Flash Drive

3 x Corsair Air Series AF140 140mm Red LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan

1 x Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm

1 x EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD 1000W Fully Modular

1 x G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

1 x CASE ROSEWILL NIGHTHAWK 117 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case, Supports up to 420mm Long VGA Card.

1 x LG 34UM67-P 34" Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS FreeSync Gaming Monitor 5ms 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1 Contrast

For my entire life I have been playing on console. It feels like second nature, its simple, controllers are easy and the ecosystem is as simple as it gets. I really just didn't want to be bothered to even learn about gaming on PC. I wanted things SIMPLE and pick up and play. I also game on a 106 projector screen so giving that up is a huge hurdle for me. But this weekend I finally did it, I turned on the computer, ordered up a month of origin access to try some games. and WOW its amazing. I think the main thing that is impressing me is simply the resolution and gaming on a 21x9 monitor. Why have these not taken off? IMO it is the biggest step up I have seen with gaming in ...well ....decades.

How long has it taken for you to switch to PC gaming? from now on all my multi plat will be PC. i will use consoles for exclusives here on out.

DocSeuss

Welcome to the family.

The only complaint I have about PC gaming after all my years in it is: I can't get Bulletstorm to run. Everything else is awesome.

Hip Hop

Yeah, I made the switch back when last gen was taking too long to end. Games that could barely run on consoles as a poor experience, I couldn't take it anymore.

so around the late 2012. and it's been amazing.

I dont have a single game on a list as of yet. I will be starting fresh with AAA titles on PC rather than xbox/ps4 pro.

I am probably doing it wrong.

Since it's a relatively new game, if you haven't already, go play Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain with Infinite Heaven installed. It's a mod that "fixes" a lot of problems the game had.

AzaK

I went back to PC gaming earlier this year after about a decade away and I'm loving it. The sheer number of games there are to play and super cheap prices will keep me busy for the rest of my life. There's a few niggles with all the setup with non steam games and controllers (I use a Steam controller) but once I got all that sorted it's pretty smooth sailing. My PC is also an emulator machine so I can launch all my emulated games (CEMU, Dolphin and classic arcade machines) from one interface and use one controller.

Even my mid range PC runs better than current consoles so far (I've heard XBX will be about same as my PC) and I get options in games to choose res or quality etc.

I'll throw in the odd Nintendo game now I have a Switch, but I haven't touched my PS4 since getting the PC and I don't regret it. The money I save on PS+ will pay a lot of my games on PC if I choose wisely.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
PC gaming is almost overwhelming when you consider the library. Backwards compatible with over 30 years of gaming. No other platform can say that.

Bigger price of entry I suppose, but cheaper in the long run. I seem to fall out of PC gaming when new consoles hit (not counting Nintendo, they don't launch with powerful specs to compete with PCs) but crawl my way back a couple years into a console's release. Now I'm back with a beefy PC and I haven't touched a console in months as a result.

Ganado

The biggest factor for me is that I'm able to play most old games one way or another and future games without being bound by a new system.

LordKasual

Banned
I made the transition a year ago.

Newly bought PS4Pro just kinda collects dust most of the time.

I dont think i can go back.

Alt+Tab is just too good

Volume Mixer + Youtube music is unbeatable

Hip Hop

Yeah, I bought an X1 recently too.

It just sits there as well. When you have better options/graphics/performance, it's hard to go back.

Grief.exe

Alt+Tab is just too good

Volume Mixer + Youtube music is unbeatable

Yeah, I bought an X1 recently too.

It just sits there as well. When you have better options/graphics/performance, it's hard to go back.

That's been my experience. You play the few compelling console exclusives that come out, then the rest of the time is on PC.

Exentryk

I switched to PC gaming with the release of Witcher 3. I wanted to play that game in the best quality possible and so built a beefy rig. And since then, what an amazing experience it has been. It honestly is no different from playing on console, since I've connected my PC to the TV and play with a controller. Now I buy all multiplats on PC. The choice of resolutions, fps, mods, controllers and configurations (macros), emulators, backwards compatibility, DRM free GOG, etc., all make it the best place to play.

MazeHaze

Banned
happened for me about a year and half ago. Used to be balls deep in Sony (still love their stuff though) but now I play 98 percent on PC. It just makes more sense, my PC is the center of my living room now.

Indelible

I recently returned to PC gaming and it really is amazing, the amount of money I have saved through steam sales and humble bundles makes it all worth it.

Coolade

I think the main thing that is impressing me is simply the resolution and gaming on a 21x9 monitor. Why have these not taken off? IMO it is the biggest step up I have seen with gaming in ...well ....decades.

The last steam survey if I'm not mistaken put ultrawide monitors at about 2% of the user base. It should become the new standard for gaming over 4K. Once you experience it you'll never go back to a regular monitor. They are slowly picking up in popularity as we've recently seen gears of war 4 and destiny 2 make a point to mention the aspect ratio is supported and at AMD and Nvidia showcase events, they put ultrawides on display.

Rizific

transitioned in 09 in the middle of the 360/ps3 gen. I think the difference back then was a lot more dramatic because of all the sub HD shit on consoles. now days IQ is really good but what keeps pc my main platform is performance. 30fps in this day and age is shit. plain and simple. ESPECIALLY when compared to 100+fps/hz gaming.

Anyway yeah, I was a PC gamer in the early 00's on the family computer, but didn't get my own dedicated PC until about 2007, and then I didn't get a solid gaming rig until about 2011. That was the perfect time to get back into the full swing of it, since that was when basically every console game was coming out on PC again.

You had a 1080 in a PC meant for web browsing?

I think it was meant for gaming, but ended up being used for web browsing. It sounds like he has tried to dip his toes in PC gaming before.

0racle

The last steam survey if I'm not mistaken put ultrawide monitors at about 2% of the user base. It should become the new standard for gaming over 4K. Once you experience it you'll never go back to a regular monitor. They are slowly picking up in popularity as we've recently seen gears of war 4 and destiny 2 make a point to mention the aspect ratio is supported and at AMD and Nvidia showcase events, they put ultrawides on display.

Is 21x9 that new ? I thought they have been around for a while.

I've pretty much ditched my PS4 since building a new PC recently.

R5 1600, ASrock Pro4 B350 board, Corsair LPX 8Gb 2933mhz RAM, GTX 1050Ti in the Thermaltake Core v21 case.

It's big for a mATX case, but the space is more of a utility for me. I've got room to upgrade inside it. I also bought a 27inch 1080p/144hz monitor to replace my old as fuck 1366x768 TV that I had been playing on since 2007.
Got a GTX 1080 coming tomorrow, but even on the 1050Ti, the graphical fidelity and overall smoothness has been truly amazing.

I play a lot of Siege on PS4, and switching to PC on a 144hz monitor is a huge difference. Hitting 120-144fps, consistent 40 ping and native mouse aiming is huge jump up from the locked 59fps on consoles with limited FoV and worse overall ping (average 60 on PS4, both on wired connections).

Other than that, MGSV is truly a beautiful game when maxed out. Though I don't think it looked bad on PS4 either.
Haven't checked out Crysis 3 yet, but Ryse: Son of Rome is honestly the best graohical show case I have ever seen.

tumblr_ogx1uaTwBD1vf6iono1_400.gif

Izuna

Banned
Now do what you can to lower input latency and you will never play on console again XD

High refresh rates, no vsync (+gsync ftw) etc.

ViolentP

Remember, having a high-end PC makes it easy to want to play all the glitziest games out there. Never forget the huge catalog available to you.

My recommendation for a starter:

41Q3KDVH69L._AC_.jpg

JayBabay

I scanned the OP line by line, 5 times, thinking I kept missing it.

I did the same thing lol, didn't want to sound dumb asking because it's one of the first things you would associate with PC gaming.

Nice rig OP, time to finally enjoy it! I've always had a PC to coincide with my consoles, update every couple years, and buy a new one every 4-5.

Coolade

Is 21x9 that new ? I thought they have been around for a while.

I only recently discovered them about a year and a half a go. About 95% of my steam library supports the aspect ratio so it's really great now. Because you have a 1080, when you get a chance, upgrade to a monitor that supports 3440x1440 for your resolution. Your experience will be even greater. (http://imgur.com/a/9SDi8)

Theswweet

PC gaming is great. I took a step back from it for a little while since I originally didn't want to upgrade to Windows 10, but recently I've been dragged back since I needed Windows 10 for work. It's been nice to just slip back into things, and finally tackle some of that Steam backlog.

Nicolada

I know that feel, it took me 25 years to do it too. Dunno how I went so long without a dedicated gaming PC, it feels like the options are limitless.

Top Bottom