• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 25 years I am finally gaming on PC, And its glorious.

MoogleMan

Weird. I tried a PS4 controller. Worked in Big Picture mode but it stopped working once a game opened. I had to go back to my computer to turn the game off.

The Wireless Xbox controller didn't have this problem. I don't know what went wrong.

It might have been a config setting; sometimes I'd have to set the controller up for a game the first time running it.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs, except they are closed platforms. Imagine owning just one platform someday, but the ecosystems are DRM providers like Steam/Origin/etc instead of separate hardware. Basically the same thing and that's all a PC is now. The PC field is also unfortunately fractured too, with AMD/Nvidia and Geforce/Freesync but I almost would prefer that to owning 4+ separate platforms. Hardware could still come in the form of peripherals or something.

Right now I own a PC and all of the consoles. I'd rather just own one piece of hardware (Sony and Microsoft are essentially the same except for the specs) and just have to worry about where I buy my software. Maybe someday as everything becomes more homogeneous.

PC has been in its prime since ~2009. I feel like it might have peaked along the way though. Current day hardware seems almost console-warrior-meme-level expensive (probably due people catching on how good PC gaming is atm). I can't afford an upgrade to my GTX 970 even if I sold the thing first.

But nah, it's still really good so congratulations. Don't forget to check out kickass games like Dead Cells even though it might not exactly push your hardware to the limit.

AgeEighty

I'm happy that you're happy, but I hate that you're feeding the PC ego trip. This is basically the same reason why PC gamers think all console gamers don't play on PC: they're simply ignorant and haven't been indoctrinated.

Im making the switch (no pun intended) to just having my pc and switch around. Ive enjoyed alot of playstation games, but i felt fine selling my ps4 pro to help fund my pc. I like many people bought a pro hoping for improved frame rates and while i didnt get those i enjoyed the considerable resolution jump and hdr support, but then i realized that its stupid for me to continue buying consoles for marginal improvements when i can just build a pc that will be as powerful as i want it to be. Also im just kind of tired of 30 fps. I know some people have a hard time discerininf frame rates but i definitely can and i know that a 30 fps experience is 9/10 inferior to a 60 plus one. For me anyway. And id rather not have to trade off resolution and detail for that anymore like we typically do on consoles, at least on a beefy rig i should be able to hit at least 60 with ultra settings on a lot of titles.

I'm happy that you're happy, but I hate that you're feeding the PC ego trip. This is basically the same reason why PC gamers think all console gamers don't play on PC: they're simply ignorant and haven't been indoctrinated.

Pretty big generalisation there.

No kidding, that one hell of a blanket statement.

Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs, except they are closed platforms. Imagine owning just one platform someday, but the ecosystems are DRM providers like Steam/Origin/etc instead of separate hardware. Basically the same thing and that's all a PC is now. The PC field is also unfortunately fractured too, with AMD/Nvidia and Geforce/Freesync but I almost would prefer that to owning 4+ separate platforms. Hardware could still come in the form of peripherals or something.

Right now I own a PC and all of the consoles. I'd rather just own one piece of hardware (Sony and Microsoft are essentially the same except for the specs) and just have to worry about where I buy my software. Maybe someday as everything becomes more homogeneous.

Platform agnosticism has certainly been the drive and something I want. People warn it will kill more artsitic titles that are meant to be system sellers (exclusive level titles) but honestly from what I've seen in the last few years from multiplat I don't really think we have to worry. We may lose some of the exclusive IP's we love from Sony as they seem to be the most resistant to the overall changing lanscape. Quality titles won't go away, life finds a way.

As far as fracturing I think HDMI 2.1 and eventually TV adoption of Adaptive Sync will go a long way to those ends. Nvidia has already lost the battle on the standard for adaptive sync technologies. Gsync is better, but it will simply never be a mainstream feature people can use, it's priced too prohibitively. Freesync on the other hand continues to pop up everywhere because of how easy it is to integrate and more importantly cheap. Nvidia will eventually cave. I'm they should still offer Gsync as some people like this feature sets. But intentially blocking benefits for their user base go try and force ecosystem lock-in is really shitty and does nothing to benefit the majority of their userbase.

Frozone

Gaming period is fun (doesn't matter the system)! I got a PC system similar to yours with Oculus VR + PS4 Pro and loving them both!

ViolentP

Speaking of ignorant...

beastlove

Got a PC last year after being a console games for the last 20 years. My last PC was a 486. I have mixed views on the PC. The 3rd party games are miles better. Playing the Witcher 3 at 60fps on ultra blows the PS4 pro away. But I prefer playing with a controller rather than a keyboard as I play on the sofa. I think that is the only negative for me. It is difficult to compete with the KB&M and most games don't fully support a controller. Steam is really good but the BPM needs some work.

beastlove

I also think platforms are becoming less important as discussed earlier. Games as a service are becoming more prevalent as the cost of development increase. PC are becoming more like consoles and consoles are becoming more like PCs. The lines are so blurred.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've been single and lonely and read the sweetest romance threads, and it hurt, but it never matches the pain of being a console gamer reading threads like these.

Fml.

I've been single and lonely and read the sweetest romance threads, and it hurt, but it never matches the pain of being a console gamer reading threads like these.

Fml.

Check slick deals occasionally for Desktop deals. You'd be amazed at what you can get pre-built. Or just use as a launching point. You can get a PC that's competitive with consoles and has the scalibility of being a modular open platform for not too much more than a console. Look into refurbished ones too and basically strip the components and put into a new case/build. There's just so many deals you can find to make it an easier transition.

To go really cheap you have to be a bit of a tinkerer, only as far as putting together a PC which if you just watch a video and follow along you'll be fine. But it's worth it. Especially if you're not someone who resells games alot. I honestly can't say I'd even have a console if I couldn't resell the games. That's the only real caveat for me about PC gaming. But the deals are good, and honestly who to say how much longer we'll have physical media to resell anyway. Any chance the industry gets to do away with it, they probably will.

Zakalwe

Banned
Check slick deals occasionally for Desktop deals. You'd be amazed at what you can get pre-built. Or just use as a launching point. You can get a PC that's competitive with consoles and has the scalibility of being a modular open platform for not too much more than a console. Look into refurbished ones too and basically strip the components and put into a new case/build. There's just so many deals you can find to make it an easier transition.

To go really cheap you have to be a bit of a tinkerer, only as far as putting together a PC which if you just watch a video and follow along you'll be fine. But it's worth it. Especially if you're not someone who resells games alot. I honestly can't say I'd even have a console if I couldn't resell the games. That's the only real caveat for me about PC gaming. But the deals are good, and honestly who to say how much longer we'll have physical media to resell anyway. Any chance the industry gets to do away with it, they probably will.

I know, I've been a PC gamer for most of my adult life, which is why it stings even more...

Can't justify even a cheap build right now, and I never like going lower end with PC builds.

In time....

ViolentP

I know, I've been a PC gamer for most of my adult life, which is why it stings even more...

Can't justify even a cheap build right now, and I never like going lower end with PC builds.

In time....

Embrace the cheap build while you have it. GoG has more than enough for you to do. High-budget new releases are always fun, but they're only part of the fun. Go play some Sins of the Fathers.

Zakalwe

Banned
Embrace the cheap build while you have it. GoG has more than enough for you to do. High-budget new releases are always fun, but they're only part of the fun. Go play some Sins of the Fathers.

Ah, I have my ps4 until the time comes. Destiny 2 will eat my time, I don't need anything else to do offer temptation. :p

Corpsepyre

Banned
Got a PC last year after being a console games for the last 20 years. My last PC was a 486. I have mixed views on the PC. The 3rd party games are miles better. Playing the Witcher 3 at 60fps on ultra blows the PS4 pro away. But I prefer playing with a controller rather than a keyboard as I play on the sofa. I think that is the only negative for me. It is difficult to compete with the KB&M and most games don't fully support a controller. Steam is really good but the BPM needs some work.

Umm. I play most of my games on the couch, with a controller. Nothing is stopping you from setting your PC up to double as a console.

Weevilone

Amazon my friend. Only take you a minute or two. Or five to create a seller account if you don't have one. Or do you do so well it's not worth a few minutes ;)

Yeah it's a blending of threads. but many years ago Amazon closed my account because I returned 2 TV's for obvious issues. They also banned me from creating another account.

Always pisses me off when I read the Amazon praise. There are tons and tons of stories like mine.

Edit: It's a long story but I actually only returned 1 TV. They banned me so I still have the second defective one. Don't return expensive stuff to Amazon kids. I about shit myself when they bought Comixology. I have far more invested there than I did in TVs. So far so good.

Anyone needs a vintage 4790K, I have tens of thousands of dollars of references.

I have always meant to got into PC gaming, but never has the money. Now that I have saved enough, I have built one with the key components:

- i7 7700k
- Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC
- 32GB Ram

Man, that smoothness. Even though I love gaming on my Switch (have both PS3 and X360, never interested in PS4 and XB1), this is indeed something else. Pretty crazy.

GametimeUK

Pros and cons to both PC and Console. If you are serious about your gaming and want to customise all your games to your taste whilst having your library available to play forever whilst upgrading the visuals and performance too (for the most part)... then PC gaming is the way forward. It's absolutely glorious and makes the consoles look like toys...

I may come across like a PC fanboy, but truth be told the PS Pro is my most played system.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
These threads always make me feel a bit awkward because (at 25, no less) I briefly tried to switch to PC gaming and sold the thing less than a year later.

It's just not for me and I've never been able pinpoint why. Theoretically, anything I dislike can be altered to suit my taste, but...

These threads always make me feel a bit awkward because (at 25, no less) I briefly tried to switch to PC gaming and sold the thing less than a year later.

It's just not for me and I've never been able pinpoint why. Theoretically, anything I dislike can be altered to suit my taste, but...

Typical purple!

Overwhelming amount of options? Many people prefer the streamlined simplicity of consoles.

I got into PC gaming in 2013, due to wanting to get into indie games besides flash games and freeware stuff. Before that, I had been consoles only for my entire life. For some years after that, my consoles just gathered dust because I got hooked on PC gaming; getting into PC was the best gaming decision I've ever made

Nowadays, my gaming habits are like 50% PC, 30% PS4, 20% mobile

Budi

I started with NES, but got C64 and then Amiga 500 shortly after. I've pretty much always had a computer and some consoles, it's not until this gen that I've been PC only. Looking into getting a Switch though. The best thing to compliment a PC these days.

tumblr_o2lpr7iFcd1ukyi98o1_400.gif

I use mine for PC exclusive stuff and digital-only games. Most of my gaming time is still spent with consoles/handhelds.

IndustryX

Made the switch last year. Never looking back. Still have the PS4 for exclusives but much prefer playing on PC. Framerate and 144Hz monitors >>>>

Made the switch last year. Never looking back. Still have the PS4 for exclusives but much prefer playing on PC. Framerate and 144Hz monitors >>>>
Agreed, though going from 120+fps back to a 30fps console game is so fucking hard though. I struggled to finish Horizon coming off of playing Doom at high fps.

I have always meant to got into PC gaming, but never has the money. Now that I have saved enough, I have built one with the key components:

- i7 7700k
- Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC
- 32GB Ram

Man, that smoothness.
Congrats! In general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

I have over 1000 steam games so I probably won't buy any games for a long ass time. My PC was built for around $600 or so and it'll get me through to the major releases for the rest of the generation, perhaps a bit past that. Even plays games at 4K pretty well.

I still play the PS4 sometimes. It's not a bad system, is just be a fool to spend the same amount of money for a worse experience. I considered selling the PS4 but it's worth the blu ray 3d player functionality at least. Plus maybe someday I'll get Horizon and Persona.

Top Bottom