• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 25 years I am finally gaming on PC, And its glorious.

Quonny

Then it definitely can't handle console gaming. So why are you here? To talk about mobile gaming?
People often talk about PC saving money, but honestly, the only reason I haven't jumped on the PC gaming wagon is because for me, it would much more expensive.

GameFly is $12/month for 2 games out. Until I can get all $60 PC games for $6 or less it's way more expensive than console gaming, even if you throw in PS+ or XBL. $150/year to play every physical game at launch is a value PC gaming can't touch.

So yeah, PC gaming isn't always this heaven of money saving some people make it out to be.

To really get the most out of PC gaming and to keep up with current releases it IS more expensive as a front-end investment to buy a PC.

You eventually pay it back with cheaper games and piecemeal updates but the up front cost (in time and money) is brutal.

I look at it as getting the most out of a PC period. Gaming is just one aspect of it, my PC also functions as my primary means of web browsing and media center, as well as other basic PC functions ( like documents, excel, etc). Guess it's a mileage may vary thing but if you're someone who needs a PC in your home.... and you're interested in gaming...... throwing a few hundred more into a beefier CPU/GPU as an 'upfront cost' IMHO is a bit more tolerable and then once you get to the multiple storefronts( steam, GOG, Greenman, CD keys, etc) keeping prices low and free online it pays itself off pretty quickly. If it wasn't for my love of a handful of Sony and Nintendo IPs I wouldn't even bother with a console.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i moved to PC in 2015 after 2 decades of playing on Playstation. i still have my PS4 which i love and will most likely buy a PS5 when it's out but now i'd say PC is my main platform. i don't think i could ever go back to playing on just a console.

it does cost a lot more to build a PC. my first one i spent about £1,000 on it completely and spent another £1,000 upgrading it. my next build will probably be <£3,000 but i feel it's so worth it especially because not only does it play games but it's my main system in the house for everyday use. i just can't use a smartphone/tablet for internet browsing etc i still prefer a keyboard/mouse. i used to buy Macs but just cant justify the price anymore when i know i can build a way better system for cheaper.

SomTervo

I look at it as getting the most out of a PC period. Gaming is just one aspect of it, my PC also functions as my primary means of web browsing and media center, as well as other basic PC functions ( like documents, excel, etc). Guess it's a mileage may vary thing but if you're someone who needs a PC in your home.... and you're interested in gaming...... throwing a few hundred more into a beefier CPU/GPU as an 'upfront cost' IMHO is a bit more tolerable and then once you get to the multiple storefronts( steam, GOG, Greenman, CD keys, etc) keeping prices low and free online it pays itself off pretty quickly. If it wasn't for my love of a handful of Sony and Nintendo IPs I wouldn't even bother with a console.

Yep it's absolutely a better value proposition in the long run - i just mean the actual initial purchase is a nasty hit if you want a future-proof and capable machine, which is the wisest option.

What GPU does OP have? I dont see it
1080, said on first page

Yep it's absolutely a better value proposition in the long run - i just mean the actual initial purchase is a nasty hit if you want a future-proof and capable machine, which is the wisest option.

Well that's why I was saying its a YMMV thing. When I got my gaming PC back in 2015, I actually needed a new PC period. My laptop needed to be put out to pasture, so the choice for me wasn't whether or not to buy a PC. It was whether or not I wanted to make the extra investment in better hardware that could run games well. Since then I've routinely been able to save lots of money on games I want thru the various PC storefronts, and I haven't forked out my usual $100 or so annually for PSN/Xbox live in a few years, so at least in my own situation, that extra money I put into a gaming worthy CPU and GPU has already paid itself off.

Actually minor correction to my prior post when I said I wouldn't bother with a console.... I would still get a Switch( which I do own now). I just love the 'play anywhere' concept behind it.

sotojuan

Would love to get a PC for gaming someday - just need to justify the price and find space for it. I dislike Windows for anything but gaming so I probably would not use it for any other purpose, but since I mostly play old games it shouldn't be too expensive.

karnage10

Banned
People often talk about PC saving money, but honestly, the only reason I haven't jumped on the PC gaming wagon is because for me, it would much more expensive.

GameFly is $12/month for 2 games out. Until I can get all $60 PC games for $6 or less it's way more expensive than console gaming, even if you throw in PS+ or XBL. $150/year to play every physical game at launch is a value PC gaming can't touch.

So yeah, PC gaming isn't always this heaven of money saving some people make it out to be.

Depends on the games you play. By that i mean that if you aren't too picky it is much cheaper to buy on PC. You have every month a humble month 12$ which normally brings 1 "AAA title" +4 great indie titles; there are several bundles every month in which you could get great games for 1$.

A few years ago you could waste 1$ and get Dead Space 3, Dead Space, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Medal of Honor, and Mirror's Edge for origin (this is one of the bundles i'm talking about). A few weeks ago you could get for 1$ Steam keys for Strider, Umbrella Corps and DmC: Devil May Cry. for 6$ you would get Umbrella Corps: Deluxe Edition Upgrade Pack, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil HD Remaster, and Resident Evil 0 HD Remaster. There is nothing on console that offers that value.

Also on PC you have strategy games like total war warhammer and europa universalis which after release get FREE content. Crusader kings 2 has been getting DLC and free content for over 5 years, hero siege has been going for 3 years and prison architect still gets some updates. Above all of this you also have mods which for many games will give more content to your favorite games. On console you,normally, buy a game and that is it.

PS+ and XBOX live gold are actually really bad value when compared to PC because of the bundles i mentioned above. They also are needed to play online, on which the PC is free.

Objectively consoles are more expensive than PC unless you play a few select games like call of duty, battlefield, exclusives, etc. If you only play those mainstream AAA games then yes console is better but if you enjoy exploring the medium of the video game industry; the PC gives more games for less money and allows you to interact more with the games you like.

I plan on finally investing in a proper gaming PC next year, especially for that glorious emulation of my rather extensive PS2/Gamecube era library, and I'm already psyched for it.

Durante

Welcome OP!
Playing console games at higher fidelity, with more control, and more options is nice, but do check out some PC exclusives too. If you have any interest in 4X games, I'd say that's a good place to start, the genre is basically entirely nonexistent on consoles.

Consoles have basically no strategy games, and not many CRPGs.
I've long realized that for some, for these types of comparisons, the only relevant games are "AAA" cinematic action romps.

T-Rex.

Banned
I made the switch last year, and for the most part it's great, but I can't play multiplayer games on PC cos I just can't get used to kb&m controls. So for shooters etc I go back to PS4, but for everything else PC is fantastic.

Quonny

Objectively consoles are more expensive than PC unless you play a few select games like call of duty, battlefield, exclusives, etc. If you only play those mainstream AAA games then yes console is better but if you enjoy exploring the medium of the video game industry; the PC gives more games for less money and allows you to interact more with the games you like.

But this just isn't true. PC gaming isn't this factual money saving platform some people proclaim. Forget exclusives, forget franchises, just straight up dollar dollar bills, I save more playing AAA games at launch on console than I would on PC. You cannot play FarCry 5 for $6 at launch on PC. That is a fact. You cannot play Fallout 4 at launch for $6 on PC. You could not play Nier at launch for $6 on PC. Again, facts.

Does this make PC a ripoff, or bad value? Of course not. Does PC offer experiences and options consoles do not? Absolutely. But for the gamer I am (I enjoy playing games at launch then I pretty much never touch them again), who I don't think is that much of a snowflake, console is much cheaper than PC as a renter. That's all. Of course it has drawbacks and limitations. But the point I'm making is that PC is not always cheaper and in fact can be much more expensive.

karnage10

Banned
I made the switch last year, and for the most part it's great, but I can't play multiplayer games on PC cos I just can't get used to kb&m controls. So for shooters etc I go back to PS4, but for everything else PC is fantastic.

Steam has native support for DS4, just plug the DS4 on the PC and you are good to go.

karnage10

Banned
But this just isn't true. PC gaming isn't this factual money saving platform some people proclaim. Forget exclusives, forget franchises, just straight up dollar dollar bills, I save more playing AAA games at launch on console than I would on PC. You cannot play FarCry 5 for $6 at launch on PC. That is a fact. You cannot play Fallout 4 at launch for $6 on PC. You could not play Nier at launch for $6 on PC. Again, facts.

Does this make PC a ripoff, or bad value? Of course not. Does PC offer experiences and options consoles do not? Absolutely. But for the gamer I am (I enjoy playing games at launch then I pretty much never touch them again), who I don't think is that much of a snowflake, console is much cheaper than PC as a renter. That's all. Of course it has drawbacks and limitations. But the point I'm making is that PC is not always cheaper and in fact can be much more expensive.

You are precisely playing the types of games i'm talking about. They are very specific, very mainstream.

What is the cheapest place to play rocket league, overwatch, inside, stardew valley, abzu, cosmic star heroine, the escapists and overcooked?

Compare my choice of games with yours, you are big known games, are shooters and have similar art styles while mine has a diverse type of genres, design and are also "well" known.

You can pirate games on PC. Checkmate!

But really many of us like to own our games. I haven't rented a game since the PS2 era.

Don't forget to test it later.
https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

I OC'd my display to 75Hz once and didn't notice any improvement, in fact, it was stuttering more. Then I found out about this test and noticed that my display was skipping every 5th frame.

Already did mate, no frameskips. :)

EDIT: remember this panel is rated to work at 75hz because is freesync, and this is the only way for nvidia users to use such refreshrate. So, technically, it's not even overclocking.

It's great, but don't make the mistake I did and try to treat my PC like it's a console by using a controller whenever possible. It's a battle that cannot be won.

MaDKaT

Built a desktop early last year in anticipation for VR. First desktop I had built for myself in something like 15 years. Been a console gamer since pretty much the Atari, and even when I had a PC, it was mostly for work/utility. When I ditched the desktop I went mobile. UMPC's, small laptops and the like. Aside from some retro emulation they were far from gaming devices and my gaming was still primarily on consoles. Time went on and the PS4 launched. This time the spark just wasn't really there and it really felt I was just in waiting mode. The heavily rumored mid gen update PS4 NEO was the push for me to ditch the PS4. Figured if there was going to be iterative consoles I may as well put that money towards a new PC and look to VR. While I can't say I have saved any money making the switch, I can say VR has rekindled the gaming spark for me.

Voidwolf

Since you have Origin Access be sure to download Star Wars Battlefront and max out all the settings and be amazed at one of the greatest looking games ever made!

And it's fun too.
Except when you run into the hackers :(

I pretty much had the exact opposite reaction when I initially entered PC gaming (mainly because I was totally ignorant of it and assumed PC would have its own versions of AAA exclusives like Gears and Uncharted, only to find out it basically just makes 3rd party games run better and the exclusives they did have weren't the type of games i was really into) My expectations were probably too high.

LordRaptor

Welcome OP!

I've long realized that for some, for these types of comparisons, the only relevant games are "AAA" cinematic action romps.

Sometimes you can trick those people into looking at games by calling "Turn based strategy" SRPG (which they do recognise as Actual Games)

jdmonmou

How long has it taken for you to switch to PC gaming? from now on all my multi plat will be PC. i will use consoles for exclusives here on out.

When I first built my PC during the 360/PS3 generation it didn't take long for it to become my preferred platform. Back then I had a Radeon HD 4850 as my GPU and the graphics looked way better than consoles. But at that time my friends were still on console and there were still a lot of multiplatform games that were not releasing on PC.

This generation things are a lot different. It's rare for multiplatform games to not release on PC because Sony and Microsoft moved their consoles to the x86 architecture. Microsoft is putting all their exclusives on Windows 10. And my friends opted to go PC rather than console this gen. Last gen was the best time to be a console gamer, but this gen is the best time to be a PC gamer. I don't see that changing anytime soon or with future console generations.

I still have a PS4 and Switch for the exclusives and the ability to rent games that I want to try before buying. But PC is my favorite way to play games and the platform I spend the most time with. Once you go PC you don't really want to go back to console.

nynt9

I mean, if you want to rent and play games, maybe that's true, but on PC you can own games for cheaper definitely. And for AAA games, you can usually find good deals even on launch. DIshonored 2 was $35, and that's ridiculous for buying the game day 1.

Personally, I think the second hand market is harmful to the industry so I try not to rent/sell games if I support the developers.

If you haven't decked out your setup in RGB lighting, then you haven't realized the true potential of PC Gaming. They also add 10% more performance in everything.

Patch13

How is Gamefly nowadays for actually getting new games in a timely manner? When I was subscribed to the service, the new games were in heavy rotation, and it was pretty difficult to get them shipped in the launch window. Combine that with relatively slow shipping times, and it just wasn't worth it to me. That was years ago, though. Has the service significantly improved?

Mifec

If you haven't decked out your setup in RGB lighting, then you haven't realized the true potential of PC Gaming. They also add 10% more performance in everything.

and also makes you more attractive to whatever gender you're into. it's foolproof tbh.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd say the placebo effect of the hardware itself on top of what it does for gaming has you on a high that it's pretty thorough and consistent as long as you keep investing in PC games.

I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am an advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusives. something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but at somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am in advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusive. Something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but as somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never stand against or not recommend somebody to get into PC gaming because it really is a fantastic investment.

the often neglected part because we are gaming forum, is the fact that you're going to build a monster PC and it's going to be able to destroy and Tackle not just gaming but multimedia and other things which will enrich your life so it's pretty awesome to have all that power at your disposal to do pretty much anything you want concurrently. So the whole presentation aspect the graphics on top of the multitasking abilities and pretty much unhinged gaming, multimedia, and anything in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

in general is possible on your shiny new gaming PC.

I'm already amazed by what you can do on smart phones and you imagine the power on a monster rig and what it could do for you and you just grow a custom to that level of performance and refused to have anything less.

EDIT - I just realized that the voice recognition on my phone did something there that it wasn't supposed to. But let the record note that I'm having coffee in the morning and I must go to work so I will own up to whatever Google decided to do with it cryptic voice recognition.

P.S.

FML

Personally, I think the second hand market is harmful to the industry so I try not to rent/sell games if I support the developers.

So much of that money recycles back into buying other games though. There are millions of gamers out there, and I'd imagine a good portion of them would be unable to support the hobby and by extension the industry if they could not resell their games in order to put towards something new. I mean when I sell off a game, I put that money aside and 90% of the time it's going towards a new game or buying a PSN/steam card, not something else.

jdmonmou

I agree with this which is why I still have consoles to complement my PC. But Gamefly does have its drawbacks. I'm a subscriber and the new launch games are often hard to get when they come out. You pretty much have to strategically time when you mail in your games to get that new launch title in your queue. Otherwise, you will be waiting for quite some time before it is available.

If you're disciplined enough to wait and are OK with only having two games to play at a time then this is the way. But if you are looking to acquire a digital library of video games then PC is the best way - not console. There are multiple marketplaces where you can find good deals on a good number of titles at launch.

My theory is that physical media is the only thing that is really keeping consoles relevant which is why I don't get people that want future consoles to be digital only. Those people are pretty much calling for death of consoles.

I'd say the placebo effect of the hardware itself on top of what it does for gaming has you on a high that it's pretty thorough and consistent as long as you keep investing in PC games.

I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am an advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusives. something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but at somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never I definitely see the investment paying off as a primary platform but at the same time I still am in advocate for at least one good console that has most of the same releases and its own exclusive. Something like a PlayStation 4 is a good primary but as somebody who has been PC since I was a kid I can never stand against or not recommend somebody to get into PC gaming because it really is a fantastic investment.

the often neglected part because we are gaming forum, is the fact that you're going to build a monster PC and it's going to be able to destroy and Tackle not just gaming but multimedia and other things which will enrich your life so it's pretty awesome to have all that power at your disposal to do pretty much anything you want concurrently. So the whole presentation aspect the graphics on top of the multitasking abilities and pretty much unhinged gaming, multimedia, and anything in general is possible on your Chinese new gaming PC.

I'm already amazed by what you can do on smart phones and you imagine the power on a monster rig and what it could do for you and you just grow a custom to that level of performance and refused to have anything less.

EDIT - I just realized that the voice recognition on my phone did something there that it wasn't supposed to. But let the record note that I'm having coffee in the morning and I must go to work so I will own up to whatever Google decided to do with it cryptic voice recognition.

P.S.

FML
Lol my new gaming PC is from China :)

vixlar

In Mexico, Steam gives good prices (not all, but sometimes I got surprised). For example, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is at $700 MXN (like 35-40 US dollars) And many games are cheaper. I remember I bought Civilization 6 at $600 MXN new. (like 30 US dollars). Origin was that cool at first, when they used mexican pesos, but they changed the currency to US dollars on all Latin America and now is expensive.

I

I love GAF in the morning. I had a hard time drinking coffee when I realized what had happened before you mentioned what had happened.

Unai

P.S.

FML

Ok, this literally made me laugh out loud.

Linkark07

Banned
In Mexico, Steam gives good prices (not all, but sometimes I got surprised). For example, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite is at $700 MXN (like 35-40 US dollars) And many games are cheaper. I remember I bought Civilization 6 at $600 MXN new. (like 30 US dollars). Origin was that cool at first, when they used mexican pesos, but they changed the currency to US dollars on all Latin America and now is expensive.

I think that was because people were abusing it with VPNs. EA obviously caught that and removed regional pricing.

In my case, it is GOG which gives us awesome prices. Trails of Cold Steel for $20 on release, that was awesome.

Steam, not so much. I know GTA V and Valve games apply that, but all other games are still the same as the US. Which sucks.

iswasdoes

PC gaming is great

Except when you spend $1000 on your new 1080 Ti, choose tomb raider to try it out, and are getting min frames of 9fps in the benchmark due to I DONT KNOW WHAT.

Tried every setting combo. The bench gives me weird pop up of all things.

The simplicity trade off of consoles is nice sometimes. Does this mean I am not PCMR?

Really was the best decision I ever made. I switched in 2012, which was probably after 20 years of gaming on consoles. I honestly think it's worth it just for shorter load times and better FPS. That doesn't even get into the dozens, maybe hundreds of other benefits.

You really should try out some strategy games, since outside of XCOM that genre basically didn't exist on consoles. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them.

Welcome to the PC gaming world, you're in for a treat.

By the way, since you got an LG 21:9 monitor and a 1080, check if you can do this trick:

Open nvidia panel, do two custom resolutions:

- 2560*1080 @ 75hz
- 3440*1440 @ 75hz

You need to enable custom resolution support, then create one. In the window were you put the custom resolution details, don't touch anything, just the pixels and the refresh rate and test it.

Basically alot of those LG monitors works natively even at 3440*1440p at Max Freesync refresh rate (75hz).
If you got a success, those two resolution will be available in games.

Basically you could get a nice resolution upgrade using merely a custom resolution.

I did this on the same monitor but 29" version, it works fine. I game almost entirely in 3440*1440@75hz now. You don't even need DSR.

If in case you get a black screen when testing don't hit any button, the screen will come back itself.

Are you sure the 3440x1440 resolution is working natively? I ask because this is the exact same method we used to use for downsampling before DSR was introduced into the NVIDIA drivers. As such it was a manual option, per se.

I have an LG 29" ultrawide (2560x1080 @75hz native) and while I can create the above custom resolution and use it, it looks anything but like a native resolution.

Edit: Now I don't know what to think as I just used the 1440 res again and I think I might just not be used to the text being so small but it is clearly legible.

- 2560*1080 @ 75hz
- 3440*1440 @ 75hz

You need to enable custom resolution support, then create one. In the window were you put the custom resolution details, don't touch anything, just the pixels and the refresh rate and test it.

Just in case you didn't know, those 2 resolutions are not the same aspect ratio and you'd get small black bars as a result.

2560x1080 = 2.37:1

3440x1440 = 2.39:1

It'd be easier to just use DSR and choose an option that gets you close. No need to worry about the custom resolution working or not.

Are you sure the 3440x1440 resolution is working natively? I ask because this is the exact same method we used to use for downsampling before DSR was introduced into the NVIDIA drivers. As such it was a manual option, per se.

I have an LG 29" ultrawide (2560x1080 @75hz native) and while I can create the above custom resolution and use it, it looks anything but like a native resolution.

It's generally used for games and not desktop use. I never use anything other than my native resolution in Windows.

Sami+

Dude I'm feeling the exact same thing. Was actually gonna make a similar thread (maybe later when I've used the PC some more) but it really is crazy how much... better it is. &#128556; The price of entry is steep but it's gonna be so hard to go back to 1080p/30fps lol.

sikkinixx

I got back into things a few months ago after about 6 years. I only reused the case and the hard drive in the end, so it was expensive especially given the state of theCanadian dollar but I'm now on a Ryzen 1600/RX580 combo (which is odd since I haven't both AMD stuff since my 9600 all in wonder and Athalon)

I still get annoyed with shit that simply doesn't work or needing to dick around with drivers etc but Humble Bundle Monthtly is awesome, cheap keys are abound for games that I wanna try, indie stuff is everywhere and cheaper and updated more frequently than on PS4. Its pretty cool to be back into it.

mario_O

PC gaming is the future. Why buy an underpowered and closed ecosystem? And consoles are also more expensive in the long run.
Sure you get exclusive games, but PC also has its exclusives, and there are a lot more.
If you have cash to spend, I guess it might makes sense to also buy a console for its exclusives titles. But third-party games should be played on a PC: free online, much better performance and visuals, and cheaper copies to buy. It's a no brainer.

Still getting my head around the idea of building a monster gaming PC and letting it sit in the basement for a year before deciding to play a game on it.

Top Bottom