• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Super Robot Wars Primer - English Release Next Week, Oh Me, Oh My

Bebpo

Banned
Awesome and very detailed OP! I have to say I disagree with this argument, though:

It hardly seems fair to compare a game for a series that started on the PS2, with one using the newer PS3-PS4 engine. SRWV is a licensed game and it looks pretty much the same as OG2 and Moon Dwellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Op-lrDU1A

Z3 has nothing to do with Z1, I don't think there's a single sprite or animation that's from PS2 (I might be wrong on that).

And V is running on the same engine as Z3 and is likely going to look pretty much the same as Z3. Like Z3, some animations will stick out like Zeta Gundam, while other stuff will probably be pretty choppy still.

Shadow780

I wonder if the English release of MD will have recap mode for OGS and 2nd OG. I have the Chinese-subbed version and apparently they cut the recap mode.

I wonder if the English release of MD will have recap mode for OGS and 2nd OG. I have the Chinese-subbed version and apparently they cut the recap mode.
I've been looking for it in the library section and couldn't find anything. Is this where it was supposed to be?
I didn't go through the guidance scenario FWIW.

cj_iwakura

Oh dear...

This is wonderful. "OT | All You Need Is Fire and Pierce".

Hate to say I called it...

CpErkI8VUAETzng.jpg

CpEri7UUMAA8LBP.jpg

CpErkI3UIAEtIYZ.jpg

CpErkJQUIAAy3YS.jpg

Teknoman

Lets positive thinking indeed.

lol I wonder if they'll release an update patch. Didnt they do that for Sword Art Online?

Loona

Lets positive thinking indeed.

lol I wonder if they'll release an update patch. Didnt they do that for Sword Art Online?

Would that work for a physical copy meant for another region?... I get the impression it wouldn't, but who knows...

Y'all can complain or be happy we are getting SRW in a somewhat legible form!

Would that work for a physical copy meant for another region?... I get the impression it wouldn't, but who knows...

Yeah, I get patches for games I'm not in the region for all the time. Recently got one for Gundam Breaker 3 on my English account.

Y'all can complain or be happy we are getting SRW in a somewhat legible form!

Yeah, I get patches for games I'm not in the region for all the time. Recently got one for Gundam Breaker 3 on my English account.

Yup, patches are available regardless of the region of your account. It's DLC that can only be gotten using a matching account.

The End

Argh, left this in my cart last night and didn't check out.

Does PA still bundle those $5 off coupons in with purchases?

Anyone want to help a brother out?

Guys it came today!

Guys I AM PLAYING A SUPER ROBOT WARS GAME IN ENGLISH!!

I am so happy right now, I'll try to stream some tonight if I can. So far the translation has been pretty spot on for the story (just finished the first chapter though so its still early) not even a lot of typeos the index of info has errors but I've seen maybe a few mispellings at most so far, really surpised how good it is so far!

Guys it came today!

I am so happy right now, I'll try to stream some tonight if I can. So far the translation has been pretty spot on for the story (just finished the first chapter though so its still early) not even a lot of typeos the index of info has errors but I've seen maybe a few mispellings at most so far, really surpised how good it is so far!

He card, read good.

Sorry =P. Glad you're enjoying it.

My copy is going to be shipped along with Sengoku Basara: Sanada.

The bad translations not going to bother me much, I'm just happy we actually getting this in English.

Teknoman

Guys it came today!

To be fair, there were two other games released in English already and a few fan translations...but yup im really glad to finally have a way to play the modern series on current consoles!

To be fair, there were two other games released in English already and a few fan translations...but yup im really glad to finally have a way to play the modern series on current consoles!
Speaking of modern, it's the first SRW game to support surround sound, and... it's not great : it's basically stereo until a pilot levels up, and then the level up jingle blares through the back speakers. Super weird.

Still, one QoL improvement for importers with a western system : on PS4, the confirm/cancel buttons don't switch back and forth between O and X all the time like they did on PS3. I hated selecting "save" ingame with O but then on the PS3 system menu having to confirm writing my save with X. here, everything uses O to confirm.

Does that mean that the game has a poor localization? I'm sad.

It's a bit like a rollercoaster with many dips and highs.

There's parts that are well written and quite a few parts that are pretty wonky. It's serviceable in that even with the wonky lines you can kind of understand what they're trying to say.

I wouldn't let it deter you from buying the game.

The translation is mostly fine, much better then the SAO Vita game a few years back with very minor errors nothing that actively hurts your understanding of the plot at all. I've noticed maybe 1 or 2 errors per chapter in terms of the story (and this is SRW there is a ton of fucking text) its much much much better then I thought it would be. Oddest thing so far is Hagane being spelled Hagwane. Battle quotes are hard to tell since theres a lot of characters I'm not fimiliar with (Only played OG1 and 2 and the remake of those two on PS2 although in Japanese) but theres a few errors such as the 'Dry' in Twin Bird Strike.

Really liking it so far although some things are hard to keep up with since theres what 2 or 3 games in between OG2 and this game? I know I'm reading a lot about those other games in the in game index so its easy enough to figure things out but its like any game series where you haven't experienced the plot first hand after skipping a few games in said series.

Also minior mech spoiler
They just give you Vysaga, no idea if its because I'm playing on Begininer and you have to unlock it otherwise but I got that and what I'm guessing is a Super Robot version of Hugo/Aqua's mech which is also awesome.

Also yeah I know about OG1/2 being in english I should have said first game in english on console XD I played the fan translation of J so its nice having first hand knowlege of that game to understand some of the plot for this game since its OG's version of it.

Bebpo

Banned
The translation is mostly fine, much better then the SAO Vita game a few years back with very minor errors nothing that actively hurts your understanding of the plot at all. I've noticed maybe 1 or 2 errors per chapter in terms of the story (and this is SRW there is a ton of fucking text) its much much much better then I thought it would be. Oddest thing so far is Hagane being spelled Hagwane. Battle quotes are hard to tell since theres a lot of characters I'm not fimiliar with (Only played OG1 and 2 and the remake of those two on PS2 although in Japanese) but theres a few errors such as the 'Dry' in Twin Bird Strike.

Really liking it so far although some things are hard to keep up with since theres what 2 or 3 games in between OG2 and this game? I know I'm reading a lot about those other games in the in game index so its easy enough to figure things out but its like any game series where you haven't experienced the plot first hand after skipping a few games in said series.

Also minior mech spoiler
They just give you Vysaga, no idea if its because I'm playing on Begininer and you have to unlock it otherwise but I got that and what I'm guessing is a Super Robot version of Hugo/Aqua's mech which is also awesome.

Also yeah I know about OG1/2 being in english I should have said first game in english on console XD I played the fan translation of J so its nice having first hand knowlege of that game to understand some of the plot for this game since its OG's version of it.

Yeah, for older units on some they give you their original unit + upgrade unit or alternate unit like MX's unit. Wish they did for Exexbein since Exbein looks way cooler.

Bebpo

Banned
To be fair, even the Japanese script has a bunch of bullshit technical jargon at times in these games, hell in most sci-if anime in general.

How do I tell the difference between a real robot and a super one? Does it say on the mech status screen?

Super robots are big and bulky and look like Voltron
Real robots look like human sized mechs, like gundam Macross. Also anything that is like a jet fighter.

Another way is in the upgrade menu look at their evade stat. If they start out close to 100 evade then their a super robot, close to 120-130 evade starting is usually a real robot. This helps for some that look kind of down the middle like Cybuster which is fast and you'd think it'd be a real robot but it's actually a slower super robot that runs on magic spirit elements.

That's the other more story thing, if a unit runs on magic it's a super, on real world tech it's a real robot usually.

From the starting units Soul Saber, Granteed and Compatible Kaiser are super robots. Belleze, Exexbein and R-Gun Powered are real robots. SRX is a super robot made up of real robots combined.

...How? They got "Zwei" right so they must've figured out that they were using German words yet they couldn't be bothered to look up how to spell the other words correctly?
I just don't understand how you can work as a translator and make mistakes such as these...
The Einst were an alien race in OGII so could be part of a translation bible (if say, they were called Eins in Japanese). As for Dry it could also just be Arado just has really bad German pronunciation
I doubt it but without seeing the Japanese original it is hard to tell, not that it would do me any good

I'm personally hoping for a term to slip through a net and get nuked by a spell checker ala Tales of Phantasia GBA (Ragnarok wasn't included in the custom dictionary so when a spellcheck was run on the script it got changed to Kangaroo...resulting in a war called Kangaroo with is hilarious).

Loona

For a SRW primer topic, this is lacking in music:

Makenaize! - it's from Z so it'll take a while to get to the OGs, but it works pretty well despite its simplicity

Trombe! - saddled with an ugly mech, but heavily tied to a memorable oversight that made it override boss music.

Is anyone recording gameplay footage from the localized PS4 version? I'm dying to see this in action.

I've been peeking at two youtube channels for it while I'm waiting for my copy to arrive (which I think I'm just going to give away when it arrives since I bought it to support localization efforts, not to play).

Nickioh
Shiun Touya

Might be more but that's what I'm watching at the moment.

Shizuka

Just beat mission 4 and got a ton of new mechs. F-32V Scwert Custom, Garmraid Blaze, and Vaisaga. Am I supposed to be putting certain people in them or can it be whoever I want? Game doesn't really give you much detail regarding that.

Just beat mission 4 and got a ton of new mechs. F-32V Scwert Custom, Garmraid Blaze, and Vaisaga. Am I supposed to be putting certain people in them or can it be whoever I want? Game doesn't really give you much detail regarding that.

Some of them anyone can go in, some of them are character specific. The F-32 is a jet, right? So bench that garbage but anyone can go in it. The Garmraid is Hugo/Aqua's alternate mech. The Cerberus is better at long range & Aqua's better mech while Garmraid is better at close range and is Hugo's better mech. Both can transform into modes that the alternate pilot can use but it isn't as effective I've found.

Vaisaga is just Lamia, Axel, and Haken. This is because the Vaisaga is a secret Shadow Mirror mech so only Shadow Mirror members can use it.

Unfortunately this is something that assumes players have played past games.

Shouta

Some units only have specific pilots. Garmraid Blaze is Hugo and Aqua because it's their other mech from Super Robot Wars MX. THe Vaisaga is for Lamia. The F-32V is for anyone you want but it's a fighter plane soooooo.

Also on Super Robot/Real Robot differences. It's easier to tell by looking at the sprite and size in the menus. If it looks bulky, has animal parts, has drills, or looks like it sends its fists flying, then it's a Super Robot. lol Most Super Robots are also L or larger with a few M ones here and there.

Real Robots are the reverse, sleek, usually has lots of guns/firepower etc. They're also typically M or lower because they're small.

There are outliers where they're a real robot but are super slow or melee like a Super Robot like the Wild Wurger which can't really dodge at all, lol.

Some of them anyone can go in, some of them are character specific. The F-32 is a jet, right? So bench that garbage but anyone can go in it. The Garmraid is Hugo/Aqua's alternate mech. The Cerberus is better at long range & Aqua's better mech while Garmraid is better at close range and is Hugo's better mech. Both can transform into modes that the alternate pilot can use but it isn't as effective I've found.

Vaisaga is just Lamia, Axel, and Haken. This is because the Vaisaga is a secret Shadow Mirror mech so only Shadow Mirror members can use it.

Unfortunately this is something that assumes players have played past games.

Both alternate forms for the Garmraid and Cerberus are quite nice and totally useful for their other pilot. Aqua's Garmraid form is a grunt killing unit that can tank like crazy while Hugo's form of the Cerberus is a super dodgy powerhouse for a real robot.

Welp I do understand how Kyosuke (and to a lesser extent Excellen) were nerfed, no post move for Trump card and no Accel (aka quicken) baseline hurts him a looot. Also Bunkers damage seems oddly low, hope he gets an upgrade... That said Rampage Ghost was sick as shit.

Bebpo

Banned
Welp I do understand how Kyosuke (and to a lesser extent Excellen) were nerfed, no post move for Trump card and no Accel (aka quicken) baseline hurts him a looot. Also Bunkers damage seems oddly low, hope he gets an upgrade... That said Rampage Ghost was sick as shit.

Pump enough money into mechs or PP into stats and any unit can be good. Especially with the right equip items.

Teknoman

For a SRW primer topic, this is lacking in music:

Makenaize! - it's from Z so it'll take a while to get to the OGs, but it works pretty well despite its simplicity

Trombe! - saddled with an ugly mech, but heavily tied to a memorable oversight that made it override boss music.

Too bad Gunleon doesnt show up anywhere else. I havent had the chance to play any Z titles...imported Z for PS2, but was holding out in hopes of a translation patch. Whats Masaki / Cybuster's theme called? Because its one of the most hype from OG imo.

PlayAsia still uses USPS for NA right?

squall23

How do I tell the difference between a real robot and a super one? Does it say on the mech status screen?
Here's a fun one. You just got Cerberus Ignite and Garmraid Blaze right? Find out which one blasts a hole straight through the Earth! That's the super.
Too bad Gunleon doesnt show up anywhere else. Whats Masaki / Cybuster's theme called? Because its one of the most hype.
Neppu! Shippu! Cybuster!

I paired him with Ariel who has Accel and gave Kyosuke three Melee+ ability parts. Ariel gives him a relationship bonus, keeping Excellen in proximity gives him another bonus, and the ability parts boosts him even more. He's not a monster with the "All S terrain" bonus like in the past but he's still amazing.

And he's one of the best pilots that has MB Activate skill by default plus his Continuous Attack twin command helped me with a bunch of turn restricted SR points.

So is this another SEA English exclusive or will it be on the NA store too. Was thinking about graving this and being supportive of the localized versions

Top Bottom