• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Super Robot Wars Primer - English Release Next Week, Oh Me, Oh My

I am planning to go the same route. I'm just wondering if there's any confirmation that beginner unlocks EX-HARD upon completion.

Yeah, EX-Hard unlocks after beginner mode.
source: me.

the only thing you have to be aware of is that beginner mode skips chapter 1 and 2 of Earth Route.

My run plans are:
Beginner (Earth Route, A Route, A Route)
EX-Hard (Moon Route, B Route, B Route)
SP Mode (Earth Route <- to get SR for chapter 1 and 2, whatever ->)

Bebpo

Banned
At the earliest,
7th Moon...........route (Forgive me, I want to make that pun.) or Chapter 10.

They are...lackluster this time around though.

Yeah, Kyosuke & Excellen are the only main characters I never used in MD.

One of the minor problems with MD is that some of the older characters that don't have any real story presence are nerfed stat/damage-wise. Though I think if you really like a character like Kyosuke/Excellen and upgrade the heck out of it, it'll probably be a good unit. I'm min-maxy in my games so I only upgrade the units that are already the best units to make them even better. The female J protag with her upgrade's map attack hit & away & continuous movement totally dominated my late game for usefulness. Though surprisingly on counter attacks I feel like my strongest grunt killer unit ended up being Exexbein. Just stick him out front and everything dies. My supers were good boss killers though.

Yeah, Kyosuke & Excellen are the only main characters I never used in MD.

One of the minor problems with MD is that some of the older characters that don't have any real story presence are nerfed stat/damage-wise. Though I think if you really like a character like Kyosuke/Excellen and upgrade the heck out of it, it'll probably be a good unit. I'm min-maxy in my games so I only upgrade the units that are already the best units to make them even better. The female J protag with her upgrade's map attack hit & away & continuous movement totally dominated my late game for usefulness. Though surprisingly on counter attacks I feel like my strongest grunt killer unit ended up being Exexbein. Just stick him out front and everything dies. My supers were good boss killers though.

Exexbein is agreed to be the best real robot for the game.

My surprised favorite/black horse unit for the game has to go to Einst Alfimi (Personlichkeit). Alfimi has 140SP+ at level 50, SP regen (s) = 10 SP regen every turn, 50+ aim adjusted attacks, 15 SP Attune (Kannou), 60 SP Enable (Saidou). She and the 15SP attune saved my ass so many times in EXHARD it's not even funny.

Yeah, EX-Hard unlocks after beginner mode.
source: me.

the only thing you have to be aware of is that beginner mode skips chapter 1 and 2 of Earth Route.

My run plans are:
Beginner (Earth Route, A Route, A Route)
EX-Hard (Moon Route, B Route, B Route)
SP Mode (Earth Route <- to get SR for chapter 1 and 2, whatever ->)

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks!

Bebpo

Banned
Only ever played the first two OG games on GBA. If I was to get this would I be ok storywise?

Sure, you've basically missed like 1.25x game's worth of story between OG2 and MD (OG Gaiden & 2nd OGs), but they'll recap things and there's not a ton of new characters since OG2.

Beth Cyra

I really hope this does well.

Honestly though I won't be buying it at full price. SrW lives and dies on cast list and none of my full Price series are apart of V damn it.

Still hoping for the best as the OG games doing well can only mean good things for V and beyond.

Orayn

Play-Asia just says "August 2016" for release date. Any idea when I might get it in the US after shipping?

Shipping speed seems strange to me. Even on the fastest method it shows I wont get it until at least September 1st in TX. They backlogged on orders/inventory? End of August seems very slow for Play-Asia.

Teknoman

I've got some good and bad news for you then.

Hes...only on moon route? I dunno if I just got lucky with SRT OG 1 (GBA) or what, but I went with Ryusei and ended up getting Masaki.

I kinda want to be spoiled just because lol...but maybe not.

They really outdid themselves with the animation for some of the new units this time around.

It just keeps getting better and better imo.

Really nice to finally see the J originals added to the OG series.

I'm hoping they managed to fit in at least W and K originals for the next game.

squall23

Hes...only on moon route? I dunno if I just got lucky with SRT OG 1 (GBA) or what, but I went with Ryusei and ended up getting Masaki.

I kinda want to be spoiled just because lol...but maybe not.
He's not route exclusive, but he's one of the last few people you get.

Yeah going to have email support and cancel the order. Now sure why it's showing it won't arrive until September 20th. 45 days seems ridiculous for $20 express shipping to the US.

My status just changed to "order received"
Also, the main page of the game now says "expected to ship Aug 05, 2016" on the top next to the box art.

Seems like something is happening now and everything will be fine :)

Edit: "Preparing Order"

Fuck Yes!

FroobMcGuffin

Neo Member
It came out a little while ago on the Singapore PSN. Total size is 6.31gb according to my ps4.

Took a few screenshots from the first mission and...The translation actually doesn't seem to be too bad so far. Certainly nothing that seems to be on the level of the original PSVita Sword Art Online yet.

So I need to make a Singapore account to download this... Annoying but oh well. Not sure why it isn't available on the Hong Kong store but, eh.

EDIT: Yeech, nevermind. It'd cost too much to get PSN cards. I'll just get another disc and not pay for fast shipping.

Dio

Banned
OYcah4a.png

Menthuss

...How? They got "Zwei" right so they must've figured out that they were using German words yet they couldn't be bothered to look up how to spell the other words correctly?
I just don't understand how you can work as a translator and make mistakes such as these...

squall23

It came out a little while ago on the Singapore PSN. Total size is 6.31gb according to my ps4.

Took a few screenshots from the first mission and...The translation actually doesn't seem to be too bad so far. Certainly nothing that seems to be on the level of the original PSVita Sword Art Online yet.
lol, they didn't translate "Gyokuza Ki"? Something that could've easily been translated as "Throne Machine"?

EDIT: WHA-WHA-WHAT
j4qhtcX.jpg

Leezard

I'm interested in the game but I don't have a PS4 so I'm not sure if it's worth. Maybe I'll buy it later and see if I can borrow a PS4 from a friend.

Shipped and should arrive on the 8th. Man next week is going to be busy as fuck between this, No Man's Sky, and Demon Hunters in WoW.

I don't care if they fuck up here or there, I'm just gald to be able to play it in english, hell some of that is hilarious.

...How? They got "Zwei" right so they must've figured out that they were using German words yet they couldn't be bothered to look up how to spell the other words correctly?
I just don't understand how you can work as a translator and make mistakes such as these...

The translators who handle these Southeast Asia English localizations seem to have a very tenuous grasp on English and not much interest or ability to check their work, so I assume the same is true for any other foreign language.

Pulled the trigger without even looking into whether or not this game is good by SRW standards. The thought of playing a SRW game in English was too good to pass up.

Bebpo

Banned
Pulled the trigger without even looking into whether or not this game is good by SRW standards. The thought of playing a SRW game in English was too good to pass up.

It's very solid. Not amazing or a standout or anything, but a good solid SRW. You should enjoy it!

Awesome and very detailed OP! I have to say I disagree with this argument, though:

Also it's worth mentioning that the OGs games have way better sprites and animations in motion (especially with bosses) than the licensed games because there's fewer characters to animate (licensed games can have 100+ characters in your party; which you deploy about 20 per stage; OG games are more like 40 characters in your party, also about 1/2 the amount of bosses). This is readily apparent from videos rather than screenshots so:

Latest licensed SRW game (Z3 Tengoku-hen):
Heroes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ageIiU9punM
Bosses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwvKdiQA8o
v.

Latest OG SRW game (OGs Moon Dwellers)
Heroes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifda7jwWA_w
Bosses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-IFmbFxHQE

It hardly seems fair to compare a game for a series that started on the PS2, with one using the newer PS3-PS4 engine. SRWV is a licensed game and it looks pretty much the same as OG2 and Moon Dwellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Op-lrDU1A

Ilvocare

I want to get this game for obvious reasons that are apparent if you look at my avatar. Yet I don't own a PS4 and I'm not gonna have the money to snag this for a fucking while. What's the guess on availablility for this like 6 months from now?

(Also seeing the translation being as bad as everyone feared stabs me in my soul. One of the best things about EF and PXZ2 were their fantastic localizations...)

Also also aren't weapons upgraded in OG games by individual weapon? Not by an all-encompassing Weapon stat?

Oh dear...

Welp, that confirms it. This will be deep into so bad it's good territory.

I want to get this game for obvious reasons that are apparent if you look at my avatar. Yet I don't own a PS4 and I'm not gonna have the money to snag this for a fucking while. What's the guess on availablility for this like 6 months from now?

(Also seeing the translation being as bad as everyone feared stabs me in my soul. One of the best things about EF and PXZ2 were their fantastic localizations...)

Also also aren't weapons upgraded in OG games by individual weapon? Not by an all-encompassing Weapon stat?

Weapon upgrading has changed in the more recent games. Equipable weapons are upgraded separately. A unit's built-in weapons are upgraded all at once.

Ilvocare

Welp, that confirms it. This will be deep into so bad it's good territory.

Weapon upgrading has changed in the more recent games. Equipable weapons are upgraded separately. A unit's built-in weapons are upgraded all at once.

I can only pray that the slightly bigger demand from the West will maybe make future translations better? Hopefully?

And hey, that Hollow Fragment translation got a patch to be better, r-right? Crazier things could happen.
NO HOPE

Also thanks for the clarification! That does make things way easier!

Having played 4 episodes so far, I'd say there were apparently two streams of translation :
- the regular mission / intermission / combat dialogue, that oscillates between perfectly readable and bad fantranslation levels. You can always understand what's going on and it mostly makes sense, but it often lacks fluency and there are grammar mistakes every now and then. Definitely not Engrish in my book. If anything, this wasn't edited / proofread enough but it's mostly serviceable, weird romanizations aside.
- the library / encyclopedia entries where I suspect they saw the sheer volume of text, said "fuck it" and threw it all to machine translation.

Edit: bear also in mind that the original writing can also be at fault sometimes. Throwing you in media res with a shitload of in-universe technical terms is a thing SRW does.

Top Bottom