• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A news report about the severity of Bungie employees’ harassment from the playerbase.

Draugoth

Gold Member

An innocent tweet about a wildly popular online multiplayer game led to a terrifying real-life campaign of doxxing and death threats against employees of game company Bungie Inc.

Two employees of Bungie, the American company behind “Destiny 2” — a first-person shooter with 40 million users — recently convinced an Ontario judge to order Waterloo-based TextNow Inc. to name its customers who made “racist and serious physical threats” against them.

TextNow offers users anonymous phone service. On June 2 a Bungie employee in the U.S. tweeted an advertisement for “Destiny 2” with two videos of a gamer who uses the online name Uhmaayyze. The ads called him a hero.

Yeah, it's easy to shrig off death threats because so many public figures use that card to gain unwarranted sympathy so often.

Actual, real death threats that are taken to this level is a completely different thing. Huge difference from someone saying something rude to you online and someone saying that legitimately makes you concerned about you or your family's safety.

Last edited:
Insane that this was sparked by someone simply sharing a video of a black guy playing Destiny. Like how fucking whacked in the head do you have to be to get triggered by someone simply playing a game??

Last edited:
How are Bungie employees on social media? Do they invite any sort of negativity? I assume these people are just crazy and happen to be Destiny players but I figured I’d ask.

Thabass

Fucking racist losers. Get a life, please. It's only video games.

How are Bungie employees on social media? Do they invite any sort of negativity? I assume these people are just crazy and happen to be Destiny players but I figured I’d ask.

One of my good friends works for Bungie posts occasionally. He posts light memes and light-hearted stuff and genuinely loves the community and interacts with them as much as he can. I don't see any post from my Bungie friends being negative or trying to bring negative shit to the light of the people that occupy the Twitter space.

These people who act like this have, LITERALLY, no life and are fucking useless to society.

Last edited:
Damn what a piece of shit that person is. They sound insane too so it’s a good thing the info is ordered for release.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
“The similarity of the name ‘Inkcel’ to the term ‘incel’ makes the threats more frightening to the (employees) as well,” the judge said. “The term ‘incel’ stands for ‘involuntary celibate’ and refers to a violent misogynist ideology espoused by some who identify themselves with that term.”

Laughing Man Lol GIF

DeaDPo0L84

They are absolutely the best example of thin skin when engaging in conversation and opposing views come into play. They love to virtue signal when it comes to literally any cause that'll get them attention/money even if certain ones conflict with one another.

But if you dare ask a question about their views or suggest in a respectful manner that you disagree you'll typically be met with a ban hammer, I speak from experience.

With that said all of this is bullshit and I don't condone this type of behavior. But Bungie can absolutely fuck right off, and Destiny is one of my favorite games of all time that I've stopped playing full stop due to how they treat people on social media.

Also I'm not talking about the people saying blatantly racist or hateful things, they can fuck off as well, I'm talking about people who would just say anything that opposed whatever typical virtue signaling bs they were spouting any given day, it got tiring.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Bungie person's experience is nothing.

My brother got his name and home address posted online in a YT video by some eco-friendly warrior who got the names mixed up. It was another person with the same name and I'll assume they found my brother's house maybe in the whitepages or something.

The video did one of those big anti-pollution or anti-meat rants (I forget what it was), and at the end they showed a picture of the guy (not my bro), and his name and home address (which were correct) saying go get him.

I forget how my bro found this out his name and address had a target on his head.

He didnt give a shit. Nothing happened.

Ozriel

M$FT
Imagine reading about death threats sent to spouses, full on death threats and rabid racism and thinking this is the right time to wail about Bungie employees having ‘thin skins’

Dafuq?!

Anyway, I hope they catch the pricks behind this.

Last edited:

Dorago

"Look at why we need to remove quality of life features and institute a draconian ban system that will not effect cheaters or scammers in any way."

Video game companies need to be run by autistic Irish and Mexican high school dropouts again and not these generational wealth creatures.

Esca

So pathetic and sad that people act like this. They weren't taught to be respectful of others that's for sue

My brother got his name and home address posted online in a YT video by some eco-friendly warrior who got the names mixed up. It was another person with the same name and I'll assume they found my brother's house maybe in the whitepages or something.

The video did one of those big anti-pollution or anti-meat rants (I forget what it was), and at the end they showed a picture of the guy (not my bro), and his name and home address (which were correct) saying go get him.

I forget how my bro found this out his name and address had a target on his head.

Ah right yeah I forgot this became a competition

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Imagine reading about death threats sent to spouses, full on death threats and rabid racism and thinking this is the right time to wail about Bungie employees having ‘thin skins’

Dafuq?!

It's obvious you're responding to my post. I was directly replying to someone asking how Bungie employees are on Twitter to which I've had a very negative experience with. I also condemned the obvious terrible actions of the people involved in the OP's article. Sorry your reading comprehension can't juggle multiple points at the same time, I'll dumb it down for you next time.

graywolf323

two wrongs don’t make a right

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
“Shortly after, several employees of Bungie began receiving voice mails and text messages on personal, unpublished telephone numbers repeatedly using the racial slur referred to colloquially as the ‘N-word,’ ” the judge said.
Might be a disgruntled employee.

spawn

These have to be stupid kids. What adult out there is going to make childish threats like these

Dial back the gaslighting in the other direction.
Insane that this was sparked by someone simply sharing a video of a black guy playing Destiny. Like how fucking whacked in the head do you have to be to get triggered by someone simply playing a game??

Have you looked on these forums lately. Literally any time a character is not a straight white guy the place goes into meltdown with the word "woke" and "agenda pushing" thrown around.

So yes... I'm not suprised that this happened simply because a black guy was playing a game.

Last edited:
self-Identifying incels is the most cringe shit. Basically nu-misogyny.

Sad dumbfucks.
There was a serial killer who self-proclaimed the incel king or something like that. People can be so stupid.

This is the dipshit

Guy suffered from some hard God Complex.

Last edited:
Have you looked on these forums lately. Literally any time a character is not a straight white guy the place goes into meltdown with the word "woke" and "agenda pushing" thrown around.

So yes... I'm not suprised that this happened simply because a black guy was playing a game.

Wow.... I got a warning for this comment??!!

NickFire

Wow.... I got a warning for this comment??!!
Well, extremism is frowned upon here (see bans page). And in your case you made a sweeping general claim about the people here that was rather hyperbolic and off base. Then you suggested that because of your opinion of people here, you aren't shocked a bad person(s) made threats to a company unrelated to the forum. Anyone would have gotten a warning for that.

Kilau

Really sick behavior, making threats and other forms of intimidation is disgusting and never justified.

I know from my time playing the first Destiny, the players including me were always complaining about bungie being the fun police but everyone was good natured about it.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Dafuq?!

They probably will, these people usually are not smart enough to make untreaceable threats.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Outside of people being harassed, the most annoying thing that comes with these stories are the calls for "less toxic behavior" and "we really need to examine ourselves as a community"

There are always going to be unhinged jackoffs, they exist is any community you can think of and no amount of self-reflection is going to make them go away.

The authorities need to be involved when necessary and outside of that, idiots just need to be muted/blocked. Too many journalists and grifters jump on these stories to gain more influence, like crabs in a bucket.

Fucking racist losers. Get a life, please. It's only video games.

One of my good friends works for Bungie posts occasionally. He posts light memes and light-hearted stuff and genuinely loves the community and interacts with them as much as he can. I don't see any post from my Bungie friends being negative or trying to bring negative shit to the light of the people that occupy the Twitter space.

These people who act like this have, LITERALLY, no life and are fucking useless to society.

These type of people have been around forever, but doxxing in general with social media has made it so these mentally ill people can go after a lot of people in very personal ways, and it’s the one’s that aren’t dumb but just intent on something very stupid that are the scariest.

Doxxing can be scarily easy, even with what you think are adequate precautions, if you leave enough trace through social it can still happen.

In the case of even a minor employee of a major game studio for a popular game and tying yourself to that on social, the person doxxing already knows what city you live in and your name, likely your contacts and if it’s a personal account can likely easily find your family, friends and anything you posted to them…even deleted stuff.

This is likely to be a reoccurring thing and I can’t blame them at all for cutting back contact...It’s a jungle out there.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Outside of people being harassed, the most annoying thing that comes with these stories are the calls for "less toxic behavior" and "we really need to examine ourselves as a community"

There are always going to be unhinged jackoffs, they exist is any community you can think of and no amount of self-reflection is going to make them go away.

The authorities need to be involved when necessary and outside of that, idiots just need to be muted/blocked. Too many journalists and grifters jump on these stories to gain more influence, like crabs in a bucket.

The problem is they find communities that encourage these thoughts and actions. Notice how they mention the fringe social media network. Places like that churn out these kinds of people regularly.

As a comparison, bullying in schools is far reduced from how things were before the early 2010's, when school administrators, teachers, and most especially students themselves worked hard to dissuade people from that behavior. When that behavior isn't tolerated within a specific setting it invariably declines in frequency and severity. So if enough peer pressure is placed on these kinds of unsavory people and their behavior on say Xbox Live and PSN, and those platform owners become serious about working with the communities to stamp it out, it should have a noticeable effect upon those communities.

That's why there's always the outreach to the community at large to "do better". Normal, well-adjusted folk know the deal. It's just trying to spread awareness and encourage more people not to put up with it.

theclaw135

Banned

Quoted for truth. Have a cookie for the timely, immensely relevant statement.

Top Bottom