• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

I dunno - im kinda loving the new Infinite Quick Match.
Jumping from CTF, to Slayer, to King of the Hill, to Attrition, to Oddball - theres a ton of variety there now.

I play Halo, one: because its the best FPS gameplay to me (guns/grenades/melee), and two: for the competition to test my skills. This new Quick Match has been delivering that big time. So many great matches recently.

Im seeing alot about the removal of some quick jumps - but the quick jumps I used in Season 1 still work so Im good. Im not a super uber leet so I wasnt even aware of the ones these pro geeks seem to have beef with. The shortcut jumps I use are simply turning off Auto-Clamber and using crouch jumping to reach certain higher platforms without the slower Clamber animation. Gives just a slight edge in certain encounters.

I've always like a mixed playlist. Historically they haven't done well long term e.g. slayer only fanatics quit out of a lot of games. I'm glad 343 are pushing more objective games in matchmaking, even if it's not 100% to my liking of Flag/Bomb. I'm still yet to play attrition or oddball. I'll have to give Infinite another session with some buds. One friends is playing semi-regularly so there's that.

As for quick jumps the "hidden away bullshit" ones pros find don't really bother me if they're patched. It's when a clear skill jump is there and on show to learn or see others use then it's taken away I have issue with. I also take issue with things that don't really need to be fixed over more pressing matters. 343 could have better spent that time on other things.

Anyone know what caused that? ^

really sick and worth the watch ^

Those fireworks. I think I read a report of a bug where the effect repeated 10 times or something, looks like that bug was triggered here and I think 343 are already aware of it. Kinds of cool to see chained explosion back in Halo though.

Holy hell that second clip is nuts. That's a great example of a skill jump baked in to the map for anyone to see or figure out. The play to take the win is just perfection. Great clip.

I dunno - im kinda loving the new Infinite Quick Match.
Jumping from CTF, to Slayer, to King of the Hill, to Attrition, to Oddball - theres a ton of variety there now.

I play Halo, one: because its the best FPS gameplay to me (guns/grenades/melee), and two: for the competition to test my skills. This new Quick Match has been delivering that big time. So many great matches recently.

Im seeing alot about the removal of some quick jumps - but the quick jumps I used in Season 1 still work so Im good. Im not a super uber leet so I wasnt even aware of the ones these pro geeks seem to have beef with. The shortcut jumps I use are simply turning off Auto-Clamber and using crouch jumping to reach certain higher platforms without the slower Clamber animation. Gives just a slight edge in certain encounters.
I'm probably in a similar boat. I actually enjoy jumping online to play games. Last man standing is fun for what it is but the danger zone needs to come in much sooner and faster as the map is too big. By the time it gets down to 3-4 players everything takes so much longer. But my go to playlist is fiesta. I never cared for fiesta in other halo games but for some reason i enjoy it in Infinite. I like the practice i get using the precision weapons. I also enjoy trying to take out or defend myself from sword and hammer users while not using sword and hammers myself. i do still get annoyed that each fiesta game is essentially a bunch of players running around with swords or hammers and grapple hooks. If there was a version of fiesta with no sword, hammer or cindershot i'd be in heaven. I consider all 3 of those weapons to be complete bull shit weapons in infinite rofl. The cindershot is way too strong with a ridiculous amount of ammo for a power weapon. The hammer and sword have no helpful counter weapon outside of other power weapons, but sprint and the grapple hook, plus the lousy radar make them just stupid imo.
Those fireworks. I think I read a report of a bug where the effect repeated 10 times or something, looks like that bug was triggered here and I think 343 are already aware of it. Kinds of cool to see chained explosion back in Halo though.

Holy hell that second clip is nuts. That's a great example of a skill jump baked in to the map for anyone to see or figure out. The play to take the win is just perfection. Great clip.
I don't think that CE jump is new. It's only worth trying to do with active camo. Otherwise you're a sitting duck.

Last edited:
2 thing: a) in last man standing the danger zone needs to be sped up like ten times faster. b) you shouldn't have to sit and stare at a screen once out of lives for another 10 minutes just to get credit for the game. Actually 3 things: the AR is shit and I hate it. No skill, kills across map, clip is way too big. SHIT SHIT SHIT

Edit:

Last edited:
I love suffering through all the last man standing challenges only to get a "hey kill 50 more people in last man standing" challenge. Fucking stupid. Also tired of the game giving credit for my kills to other people. I'm either getting triple teamed or running around the entire map not seeing a single person only to immediately get shot in the back after 5 minutes of running around the entire map. Pistol could definitely use a boost too.

EDIT: Imagine Last Man Standing where there are different weapon progressions. Where one game everyone starts out with (disruptor/pistol -> mauler -> AR -> commando - BR) but other games you start out with a (heatwave -> needler -> etc..) Or just make the order random each game but the same for all players each game. I also like the idea of forcing a weaker weapon on the players doing better. If you start out poorly you shouldn't be punished by everyone else having a better weapon. It should actually be harder to get kills the closer you are to winning. But i guess that would require different variations of Last Man Standing. But I'd be down for variety within the Last Man Standing playlist itself.

Right now I'm typing this while waiting for a stupid last man standing game to end... 6 kills 6 deaths and was one of the first people out... I shouldn't have to wait 5 extra minutes just for the game to end to get credit, which I've stated before.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Actually 3 things: the AR is shit and I hate it. No skill, kills across map, clip is way too big. SHIT SHIT SHIT
I with you on the AR. So op its not even funny. Whats funny, in the GAF Gaming Forum Inifinite thread there are some posters there saying the AR is too weak and needs buffed, heh. I have some non-Halo fan friends who say the same thing too. The AR has never had this kind of range.
I love suffering through all the last man standing challenges only to get a "hey kill 50 more people in last man standing" challenge. Fucking stupid. Also tired of the game giving credit for my kills to other people. I'm either getting triple teamed or running around the entire map not seeing a single person only to immediately get shot in the back after 5 minutes of running around the entire map. Pistol could definitely use a boost too.

Right now I'm typing this while waiting for a stupid last man standing game to end... 6 kills 6 deaths and was one of the first people out... I shouldn't have to wait 5 extra minutes just for the game to end to get credit, which I've stated before.
Ah come on man the 50 kill thing isnt bad. Should take an hour tops. Its basically just a 'play the game' challenge.
Also you dont have to wait for the game to end - you can exit. It just doesnt give your credit until that particular round is over. Just exit and start a new one - by the time youre done with the 2nd round youll get your credit for the first.

Last man standing is broken in my eyes because you can just farm the OS/camo powerups and they drop too frequently. So you can stack 2 at a time. Just use the scan for items button and you can see exactly where they land. The mode needs some reworks for sure.

I with you on the AR. So op its not even funny. Whats funny, in the GAF Gaming Forum Inifinite thread there are some posters there saying the AR is too weak and needs buffed, heh. I have some non-Halo fan friends who say the same thing too. The AR has never had this kind of range.

Ah come on man the 50 kill thing isnt bad. Should take an hour tops. Its basically just a 'play the game' challenge.
Also you dont have to wait for the game to end - you can exit. It just doesnt give your credit until that particular round is over. Just exit and start a new one - by the time youre done with the 2nd round youll get your credit for the first.

Last man standing is broken in my eyes because you can just farm the OS/camo powerups and they drop too frequently. So you can stack 2 at a time. Just use the scan for items button and you can see exactly where they land. The mode needs some reworks for sure.
Well this is news to me lol. But it makes sense because I finished a game and thought I was around 30-35 kills and all of a sudden the challenge was done. And I completely forgot about the scanning ability. I'm so dumb.

EDIT: one thing i absolutely hate is that I can't gather extra xp without leveling up beforehand. I've been shit on so many times for accidentally trying to get xp only to have it switch out my weapons and then by the time i do try to get the xp someone is shooting me in the back already.

Also I'm not getting any credit for battlepass if I quit out of Last Man Standing, which is annoying. I think maybe I was getting credit for challenge stuff though.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Well this is news to me lol. But it makes sense because I finished a game and thought I was around 30-35 kills and all of a sudden the challenge was done. And I completely forgot about the scanning ability. I'm so dumb.

EDIT: one thing i absolutely hate is that I can't gather extra xp without leveling up beforehand. I've been shit on so many times for accidentally trying to get xp only to have it switch out my weapons and then by the time i do try to get the xp someone is shooting me in the back already.

Also I'm not getting any credit for battlepass if I quit out of Last Man Standing, which is annoying. I think maybe I was getting credit for challenge stuff though.
The weapon scanning button is useful in regular multiplayer too in situations when someone with rockets dies and the rockets go flying. When you scan, the power weapons glow a bright yellow. Then, if you cant make it to the rockets you can even highlight them with the mark button to notify your team exactly where they are. Some minor but cool things they added to the gameplay. I always appreciated communication options in games without being forced to use a mic - for one thing, not everyone speaks english.

I think the last man standing mode only gives credit for the orange last man standing challenges. They dont share challenges.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I wish (somewhat) there was a no comm option for loners like me lol =P Went 45 15 lat night in. "Pre rank" mode. Getting so much bad deaths cuz of calling me out bleh

Oh I won last man standing twice and done with it's challenges. Yeah!

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The weapon scanning button is useful in regular multiplayer too in situations when someone with rockets dies and the rockets go flying. When you scan, the power weapons glow a bright yellow. Then, if you cant make it to the rockets you can even highlight them with the mark button to notify your team exactly where they are. Some minor but cool things they added to the gameplay. I always appreciated communication options in games without being forced to use a mic - for one thing, not everyone speaks english.

I think the last man standing mode only gives credit for the orange last man standing challenges. They dont share challenges.

Yeah the ones with the icons in front

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I never use vehicles expect for back in the days in CE

Getting some bad and good matches lately. Bad is like getting 1 shot + melee is dead. Good ones are where the rules work as intended lol

61kZtVE.jpg

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also, when you see a sword bearer killing your TM and obviously already close to red bar (and 2 shots should kill him or her) and while shooting 3 to 4 times while he aiming for you his minute lockon gives him the advantage. Fuck that

Oh and fuck AR starts on KOTH on Valhalla

Last edited:
I'd have to check. I had my aim acceleration all the way up to 10 and my other settings were at or below 5. It would be really nice if 343 could throw some armor love for the Mark V... Went all the way through the season 1 battle pass and have almost no choices for gloves, knee pads, etc... Everything is always Mark VII or the new armor for season 2.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'd have to check. I had my aim acceleration all the way up to 10 and my other settings were at or below 5. It would be really nice if 343 could throw some armor love for the Mark V... Went all the way through the season 1 battle pass and have almost no choices for gloves, knee pads, etc... Everything is always Mark VII and the new armor for season 2.

Agree with the armor part.

With Aim Acceleration you mean the one below the Move settings right?

What's your guys sense

Mine is

Move at 10?

Acceleration 4 or 6 (???)

I don't recall but I do remember wanting the level of control Apex Legends has in their advanced controls. You can tweak aiming, ADS versions, and so much more. I spent weeks learning how to adjust those controls to maximise my old man aim. Halo's customisations isn't anywhere close to as good as Apex.

Agree with the armor part.

With Aim Acceleration you mean the one below the Move settings right?
I think so. I'm not sure how it works. I always assumed putting aim acceleration to 10 results in instant response time when I'm trying to aim. Which is what I want. That may or may not be how it actually works though.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think that first option just ups your general sense speed. That other acceleration determines like how further you turn the stick the acceleration will speed up.

01011001 01011001 can explain this better and have in the past

Anyways had some nice matches last night
.really liked strongholds on live fire, streets, recharged. Lots of ctf on bazaar last night

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't recall but I do remember wanting the level of control Apex Legends has in their advanced controls. You can tweak aiming, ADS versions, and so much more. I spent weeks learning how to adjust those controls to maximise my old man aim. Halo's customisations isn't anywhere close to as good as Apex.

Yeah I really loved that about titanfall as well...

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh btw they added a shit ton of new bot behavioral options. You can choose their starting and secondary weapon. Movement speed etc. Super dope for warming up.

Old news maybe

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
4 more fiesta bullshit matches to fulfill it's challange

Omg PP and Needler start

What do you'll think about Less Sword and GHammer spawns in fiesta?

Last edited:
4 more fiesta bullshit matches to fulfill it's challange

Omg PP and Needler start

What do you'll think about Less Sword and GHammer spawns in fiesta?
Is that a real thing? I've been playing fiesta but hadn't noticed. If true I love it lol. Harking back to my post about lack of customization for the Mark V kit, 343 could just make the grenadier helmet wearable on the Mark VII. That would make a huge difference. Not sure why a helmet of all things is core specific. That's just dumb.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah they're quite common. Nothing more infuriating then getting hammered a mile away by billyboysoks8762t14

Never pick that shit up. The swore occasionally tho. I just give them markers for my TM to pick up

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ugh 343 put the commando rifle in tactical slayer. What an awful idea. It's not even fun. Might as well make it a freaking assault rifle...

I like the commando, very precise on long distances. Use bursts or git gud with its recoil. Then again I dislike TS because it's a matter of who spots who first. IMO ofcourse Oh, and lots of camping

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
People need to really take note of their team mates icons, they display when shooting or getting shot at. Great info indicator. Super helpful

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Love dying from single AR burst and melee. Those US servers surely made a fun game

I mean I'm far from ggoodbut come one

Last edited:
I played all night to keep my night schedule intact and had awful game after awful game after awful game... It's one of those sessions where I seriously start to wonder if I've just gotten really really bad all of a sudden. Nothing was working for me. I couldn't get any kills with grenades but I was dying to every single grenade thrown at me. I couldn't finish kills but was dying after getting around a corner every single time. TLDR - it was frustrating.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Very recognizable man, just bad host after bad host. Random "God" nades that insta kill. Also sometimes you run consecutively into 12 year olds that are very try hard and hopped up on game fuel that call out constantly your location/spawn so they always know your location. I mostly quite those matches because you're just easy cannon fodder. Sometimes I'll try beast mode and try to get them checked but yeah..

Oh how about the rockets. Sigh don't want to talk about it even

If I have a few I just want to make some sick plays here and there nothing special

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I finally got my 2022 Halo Encyclopedia in the mail.
The book is beautiful - and it seems its over twice the size of the 2009 DK Books Encyclopedia. The book is freaking huge.
Layouts seem better than the older one with more information on each page.
Tons of Spartan stuff - even things from the Halo Legends anime which is awesome. The Hrunting/Yggdrasil Mark 1 suit in particular.
Reading thru this with the Infinite soundtrack playing in the background was quite a thing.

Ill be thumbing thru this thing for a long long time.

The book is beautiful - and it seems its over twice the size of the 2009 DK Books Encyclopedia. The book is freaking huge.
Tons of Spartan stuff - even things from the Halo Legends anime which is awesome. The Hrunting/Yggdrasil Mark 1 suit in particular.
Reading thru this with the Infinite soundtrack playing in the background was quite a thing.

Nice, I forgot about this one. Might just have to check it out and have on the coffee table for some time.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Am I missing something here (BXB - BXR) because after a simultaneous melee exchange my opponent gets his shot off much faster Same goes for melees. Is this a server advantage thing or what?

Sigh. I love the game but these exchanges are bullshit

All I saw on YT where those pre patch ninja cancels

Also I feel my nades do like 70% less damage

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I do not care about Halo"s lore but it must be a great looking book I'm happy you're happy.

Enjoy

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Am I missing something here (BXB - BXR) because after a simultaneous melee exchange my opponent gets his shot off much faster Same goes for melees. Is this a server advantage thing or what?

I dunno. Works great on LAN ,(academy)

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw I reverted back to (semi) default settings atm with grenades on L, Melee on RB and zoom on R3. Felt R3 for melee felt to slow

TIL ultra random flanking helps a lot (I'm to much going straight to the hot spot type of player)

Last edited:

Yes mate on both counts. There are plenty of cheats out there, including the old classics like double melee, fast/cancel switch, modded controllers etc. Also what you see on screen isn't what the server is deciding for the outcomes. Being from Australia and forced on US servers due to settings and population I've seen all manner of shit. Grenade damage rejected, network prediction gets my position wrong, BR exchanges I'm slower than the enemy in the firing cadence, pickup overshield when walking in front only for it to go to the teammate behind me etc. The list is huge, the more latency the more profound it is in any given game or encounter.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes mate on both counts. There are plenty of cheats out there, including the old classics like double melee, fast/cancel switch, modded controllers etc. Also what you see on screen isn't what the server is deciding for the outcomes. Being from Australia and forced on US servers due to settings and population I've seen all manner of shit. Grenade damage rejected, network prediction gets my position wrong, BR exchanges I'm slower than the enemy in the firing cadence, pickup overshield when walking in front only for it to go to the teammate behind me etc. The list is huge, the more latency the more profound it is in any given game or encounter.

Thought as much. Thanks for your feed back. Appreciated

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Not sure why, made some minor sense changes but I'm really (really) fucking up folks with the pistol.... feels so good

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ozzy Onya A2Z Ozzy Onya A2Z

Yes mate on both counts. There are plenty of cheats out there, including the old classics like double melee, fast/cancel switch

Dont want be lazy but YT is full of bullshit videos that include 90% ass farts and perhaps if lucky that which what you're looking for that's mostly not explained clearly and in detail

× including the old classics like double melee, fast/cancel switch×

Is what I'm looking for

Any good vid/site you remember perhaps?

Last edited:
Ozzy Onya A2Z Ozzy Onya A2Z

Dont want be lazy but YT is full of bullshit videos that include 90% ass farts and perhaps if lucky that which what you're looking for that's mostly not explained clearly and in detail

× including the old classics like double melee, fast/cancel switch×

Is what I'm looking for

Any good vid/site you remember perhaps?

It's been a to and fro of cheats/glitches found, updates patch, new version found. I don't keep up with it all mate, sorry if you're looking to learn. I just don't follow it to that degree.

The classics were BXR/BXB type stuff. I've seen double shotters and quad shotters around still. The double melee/faster melee with cancel animation is definitely still around too.

These are the sorts of the channels I'm aware of -

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A fuck lot of BS last night

Made it a short session.

Currently just practicing nade placements and BR from afar lmao

Naked Lunch

They added Team Snipers to Infinite today. You can also pick Land Grab individually.
There's a pretty nice variety of game modes now. Its getting there.
Just needs more maps now.

Im not a huge fan of the mode, but I feel like Tactical Slayer (SWAT) is better balanced now. Not exactly sure what they changed but its no longer instant head shots or bust. I was seeing tons more body damage compared to when I played it a month or 2 back.

Im not sure how or why but I seem to be wrecking folk recently. Maybe normal people are still sticking around and the freaks arent flooding the servers. I even got some messages saying 'well played' which is a rarity in this 'insults or nothing' gaming era.

I just cannot turn Infinite on anymore. I don't enjoy the maps or modes. I hate the divide down the middle from 343; get a sweaty job with your team or do nothing in BTB chaos. I'll try it again when the new CA mode/spin off drops.

I went back to MCC recently and the map selection in filtering Halo 2/2A/3 is still shite. I don't understand how they're still pushing the same exact maps for the last 6-12 months. Driving me nuts. There is also an epidemic of quitters, griefers, mismatches, blowouts and generally just shit games going on in MCC. Well I should expand that to most competitive FPS games online at the moment. The matchmaking and ranking/hidden ranking systems are really troublesome these days. Developers would do so well to just tackle their UI, free accounts, smurf accounts, in game mechanics and all that to be far more punishing than they do. It's a total joke out there.

Had a fun start to Snowbound, I sort of enjoy the map at times. Skip to 1.53s. Some take away points from one clip even -

Previous game, quitter on our team early on. Skewed skill match up. Still US host, like always. Go big while 3v4 just to lose, basically me vs 2 other competent buddy'd up players. Cannot quit without penalty from a shit game and return to matchmaking pools quickly. Move on to the 1.53s Snowbound game starting and US again. Game starts and we take advantage, I get some solid kills to take down their sniper from the opening and my team mate purposely shoots me in the back to gain the sniper (2.10s) I spot him and he stops then an enemy quits before any team even reaches 10 kills total. It just shows how shit the current state of online FPS games are. The developers need to spend more time curating mechanics and systems in game and overlaid around the game or platform controls to deal with this, harshly. It's a never ending battle that has raged for years but one that is sorely destroying online gaming more recently for me and I hear it all the time in randos chatting or team party chats too.

We're seeing the same from Season 13 with Apex Legends too. Too skewed to esports and streamers with a ranking system that drives smurf accounts and sweatville squads turning players off the core game.

Top Bottom