• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Naked Lunch

There was alot of honest straight talk in today's Halo livestream directly from Joe Staten.
Its pretty clear Infinite had a shitshow of a dev time. It is crazy so many leads jumped ship or were fired. That last GAF post about Infinite initially rumored to be Hero shooter is insane and awful - luckily the goof who came up with that is gone too.

Just trying to think positive with this post - but I think we're pretty lucky Joe Staten joined 343 when he did. He obviously cares about the franchise and hes jumped into a mess and is trying to salvage it. From the livestream I trust what hes saying.

One cool thing I did not know is there is a story theme for each season. There are new characters and your spartan shows up in the cutscenes. Im not sure when or how these cutscenes will play - but it seems like Joe Staten himself worked on the overall narrative and this will have connected story bits for each season and will continue for (what they said) years. For example Season 2 is about 2 new spartans who work in the field behind enemy lines as lone wolves - they find something of importance and return to the academy on the run, injured - opening Season 2.

Heres the bigger stuff I heard in the livestream:
-Seems like they are going for bug fixes and quality of life issues first.
-4 Player Online Campaign co-op in August.
-Forge flights for insiders in Summer.
-Forge Beta in September for all users (they say Forge has been in private non dev user testing for 2 years at this point.)
-Once they get their shit together - content drops will hit monthly and not have to be tethered to Seasons.

I hope they can turn it around - Halo deserves so much better.

Last edited:
There was alot of honest straight talk in today's Halo livestream directly from Joe Staten.
Its pretty clear Infinite had a shitshow of a dev time. It is crazy so many leads jumped ship or were fired. That last GAF post about Infinite initially rumored to be Hero shooter is insane and awful - luckily the goof who came up with that is gone too.

Just trying to think positive with this post - but I think we're pretty lucky Joe Staten joined 343 when he did. He obviously cares about the franchise and hes jumped into a mess and is trying to salvage it. From the livestream I trust what hes saying.

One cool thing I did not know is there is a story theme for each season. There are new characters and your spartan shows up in the cutscenes. Im not sure when or how these cutscenes will play - but it seems like Joe Staten himself worked on the overall narrative and this will have connected story bits for each season and will continue for (what they said) years. For example Season 2 is about 2 new spartans who work in the field behind enemy lines as lone wolves - they find something of importance and return to the academy on the run, injured - opening Season 2.

-Forge Beta in September for all users (they say Forge has been in private non dev user testing for 2 years at this point.)
-Once they get their shit together - content drops will hit monthly and not have to be tethered to Seasons.

I want to be positive. I want to love Halo again. I still have to ask the questions about why are these things planned and actioned so late in the dev cycle or post release? Was it so hard some 5 years ago to look and say "Max/CA knows multiplayer" then expand on that. Was it so hard to look and say "Staten created Halo 2 story and grunts humour etc" then expand on that. Was it so hard to understand the metrics of Halo 4 & 5 to see population dies over time with just arena vs BTB? Was it so hard to understand the trends of Battle Royale games over the last 5 years? It's not rocket science to look at what and more specifically who has been super successful in terms of Halo games, lore, personality, map design etc and just push further in those directions.

Where has Sparth's art ended up in terms of the final game? The concept art under 343 has always exceeded what was actually delivered in game. The game should exceed the art, not the other way around. Infinite's key art is everything I ever wanted out of Halo. The actual game does not look like that, the colour isn't there, the Chief being alone isn't there, the mystery of the ring isn't there etc.

Where has Max's cornerstone of multiplayer gone? H2A was fucking awesome, then 343 went out and pushed H5 and Infinite with internal teams from my understanding. The maps and mechanics and systems are nowhere near as good as 2/3/H2A etc under Max and this is a huge part of what makes Halo great. It's so easily the difference between Infinite's BTB chaos vs say Halo 2/3's brilliance on foot or in a vehicle with 4v4 or 8v8.

Where has Staten's universe been taken since Halo 2/3 in terms of major game releases? Halo 4 was awesome with the terminals in this regard, unfortunately 343 treated this as wiping the slate clean and pushed Halo 5 and Infinite campaigns with directionless and disparate stories. The humour is missing, the mystery doesn't feel the same and it just takes itself too seriously. There is also far too much "character drama" in Halo combined with exposition through dialogue instead of showing it in game or cutscenes or in the actions the players take themselves.

In terms of positivity I would say the musical aspects have been pretty amazing with Sydney orchestra, Infinite's OST and a few key songs from H4/5. Marty is still topping them all though. Why he wasn't brought back to helm a Halo game is beyond me. Why he wasn't involved with the TV show is a huge misstep.

Great things like Hunt the Truth are out there but not really pushed into the games we love to play, same goes from some brilliant marketing with Halo 4/5. As for Infinite I don't think I recall very much marketing at all. I've seen more from the TV show in terms of marketing in Australia but that's just poster/billboard spend.

Coop will likely get one play through from me with friends on legendary and we're done. There isn't enough in the campaign for me to want to play it that much. Destiny style PvE content makes far more sense over coop these days.

Forge maps will need to go well beyond making the game visually go back a generation, as previous Forge versions have, to bring players back let alone bring in new players. It would need to be more like modding than just forge. Hopefully the scripting and tools will enable Forgers to basically build mini coop missions akin to Spartan Ops on steroids or custom games that harken back to Halo 3 days of parties and a custom games browser meaning huge populations and creativity. If it's just esports maps and poorly lit or tested maps it's not going to be something to return to for me. Hard to be positive here when it's behind but also not talking about modding support at all.

Content drops monthly sound good but I have little interest in cosmetics or rehashed modes of old if the game isn't what I/friends want to play. Networking settings that enabled Australian to enjoy local games with fairer games is paramount, if whatever is delivered doesn't enable that this game can get fucked. I've had enough US host for a lifetime. Story content drops need to be more than just a little cutscene, it needs to be lore levels of Destiny/Apex season drops with new characters, new strikes, new world events etc.

The pickups such as grappleshot, repulsor and threat sensor are solid additions. Kudos there.

After the success of Halo 5's firefight why is that completely missing from Infinite and missing from the roadmap too?

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Forge maps will need to go well beyond making the game visually go back a generation, as previous Forge versions have, to bring players back let alone bring in new players. It would need to be more like modding than just forge. Hopefully the scripting and tools will enable Forgers to basically build mini coop missions akin to Spartan Ops on steroids or custom games that harken back to Halo 3 days of parties and a custom games browser meaning huge populations and creativity. If it's just esports maps and poorly lit or tested maps it's not going to be something to return to for me. Hard to be positive here when it's behind but also not talking about modding support at all.
Yeah im most worried about Forge still looking like ass and then force feeding all those maps into matchmaking. Its better than nothing though I guess. I simply hate the forge maps in H2A and 5. I really hope this forge graphically looks better - textures and lighting especially.

I really like the core developer made maps and gameplay of H2A multiplayer. Wasnt Certain Affinity incharge of that game? I remember a H2a interview distinctly of a dev talking about how clear and clean the maps were - no unnecessary clutter or confusing details - taking all its cues from Halo 2. Something the newer Halos still struggle with for some reason.

I agree with the concept art far exceeding the game. Even something like the concept art of the Live Fire map looks better than the game. Maybe its down to shoehorning it onto the XB1 console line? Who knows?

As for your points about what they were doing all this time - to me it really sounds like started from scratch really really recently - and even in that time had another shuffle and reboot of campaign when Staten showed up. Just a mess. Looks like its going to be the MCC all over again waiting waiting waiting. I do like the core gameplay and movement of Infinite though - more than any 343 Halo.

I'm just now watching this. Don't know if I'll get through the first 1.5 hours lol, but I'll try.

Naked Lunch

I'm just now watching this. Don't know if I'll get through the first 1.5 hours lol, but I'll try.
Ah dont do that dog. Just watch the Staten stuff towards the beginning and turn it off.
Ive actually avoided any info about the measly 2 Season Two maps. I got to have something to look forward to and be surprised about for Infinite. Going to be a long wait afterwards.

Last edited:
Ah dont do that dog. Just watch the Staten stuff towards the beginning and turn it off.
Ive actually avoided any info about the measly 2 Season Two maps. I got to have something to look forward to and be surprised about for Infinite. Going to be a long wait afterwards.
Cool I've gotten through about 35 minutes so far. They really do seem to grasp that the game right now is not in good shape. Wanting to get the quality of life fixes done asap is a good sign. Interesting that Forge has been in test mode for 2 years internally. Wouldn't it be crazy if forge was the thing that saved Infinite? If the toolset is really impressive, as we're led to believe, and the talented forge creators can pump out some near dev-quality maps or better, that would go a long way in helping the unsatisfyingly small map count. I enjoyed the partial clip of the season 2 cinematic. The spartan chip tease was interesting. Any chance that could contain a new AI character? Staten is talking about the story right now and how your spartan should be front and center of that story. BYOG (bring your own gun) in CE becomes BYOA (bring your own armor) in Infinite.

Last edited:
MCC can be so good when the maps and modes selection is on point, I wish whoever was in charge of 2/3/H2A had more variety outside of isolation, midship, lockout and those remakes. If there was somewhere to look up what map I played in my history over the last 6 months it would highlight how shite that pool selection has been.

When you get a good game loading the feeling as you solo take your team from 32 v 32 to the final win with sweet map movement and power weapon/pickup control is like no other game. Apex can do this in final end gameplay quite often, I suppose warzone and fortnite also have those killer moments.

Even when losing/tied due to quitters and crap teammates MCC can be so good, whereas in Infinite 3v4 is a death sentence far more often IMO. Power weapon/equipment control, map movement and back to back triples with no scopes FTW baby.

Sadly even on USA host the balance on teams is pretty skewed these days, matchmaking or the population just doesn't support the dead even teams/skilled players like it used to back in the day. There is a ton of smurf accounts and some of the old cheats still going on but nothing unbearable.

I'd like to see a real crackdown on the ability to create a new email address right in the Xbox gamertag registration process so people just make an unlimited number of smurf accounts. It's really rampant these days in online competitive games.

One other thing I didn't pick up on during that Livestream is that 343 intends to do away with the core armor system. Who knows how long it will take but at some point down the road armors will be usable across cores. The exception being the yoroi armor as it has notably difference dimensions. I can get behind this change.

Last edited:
I'd take a third person style game spin off. An action RPG rather than heavy RPG would be great. Something like Destiny getting on a sparrow and just cruising around a planet of your choice experiencing the incredible world through game art simulation and systems. Expand that to include space travel and space exploration/battles, having a ship of your own, maybe coop getting a crew and larger ships or travel in a convoy etc. Players share loot and can drop in/out etc. There could be some shared world stuff so you come across other players in the world often enough but can avoid that mostly just the same. Some areas are no battle zones, form mini alliances as a presentation layer/LFG system being slick as hell to dive back into exploration or battle or trading. A procedural system enabling discovery/hunts for loot, artefacts and story beats could be well done, trick is you have to work to figure them out and beat other players there or wait and steal/trap etc. There's some cool elements from Sea of Thieves a Halo RPG game could adapt.

I'd really like to see Halo be a gaming industry leader and push an incredibly persistent single universe for players to share, filled to the brim with players and AI. Given MS/Azure/XBL all being part of the same beast I'd like a passing of the torch from Halo 2 creating XBL basically to seeing Azure/Halo pushing into a new game experience with the cloud/server tech. Trading of loot, content streaming in (not just weapons but story beats/mini boses/location shifting and developing, perhaps they are shared somehow e.g. a space tavern trading stories to then trade goods from that expedition or group vote on the mission. The game should contain areas where it's PvE or solo only and other areas where PvEvP is possible anytime. There should always be various AI/factions doing what they do in game, constantly e.g. battling each other, establishing bases, taking resources to their strongholds which you could stealth track and steal or all out attack. You see a real time map of the whole thing and choose where and what to engage in. All player behaviours factor into the single world e.g. alliance build ups trigger Covenant AI to en masse attack and take over, causing the players to unite and fend them off or retake what was once theirs. Some events could be quick and others take days to play out.

Some light Halo Wars type stuff would be cool for some top down mods/character roles where you establish bases, research facilities and perhaps build your own AI/NPC/weapons/vehicles to develop forces and send them out into that sector of the world. This sort of mechanic would be akin to Eve Online just with far less boring and analytical mechanics. Keep it quick and light with a focus on action, sharing experiences and universe change.

Just spit balling.

*you take something like Halo 5 and all the REQ variants and sync the above game with Infinite one and the same. Your character, your achievements, your stats, your weapon skins etc. Earn them here, use them there too sort of thing with a dash of trade them thrown in. Same goes for all the multiplayer data pushing back to that single universe. Keep the story rolling tight between the two too.

Havoc2049

I would like a series of mini FPS adventures following various teams in the Halo universe or other Spartan variants like the Spartan IIIs, etc. Call it Halo Adventures, or something like that and have them be like 5-6 hour long games. Have a game about Team Black or Grey Team and have a noir vibe like Halo 3 ODST with secret ONI missions behind enemy lines. Or have one of the large scale Spartan III suicide missions where hundreds of Spartan IIIs are sent deep into Covenant territory and sent to destroy a military industrial factory, where the chance of survival is slim, but if you do succeed and make it out a stealth ONI Prowler will extract you at a rally point. Or maybe some of the crazy alternate reality stuff that the Spartan IIIs went through in Ghosts of Onyx. There is sooo much material out there for all kinds of cool adventures.

If they wanted to stick with the Master Chief, a series of Halo Adventures following the events of Operation Silent Storm and the 21st Space Assault Battalion, which included Blue, Green and Gold Spartan II teams and a Battalion of ODSTs could be really cool.

As a fan of military and space flight sims, I also would love a space flight sim game with a story and mission progression like the old Star Wars X-Wing space sim game. All kinds of cool UNSC spacecraft to fly on various types of missions.

I would like a series of mini FPS adventures following various teams in the Halo universe or other Spartan variants like the Spartan IIIs, etc. Call it Halo Adventures, or something like that and have them be like 5-6 hour long games. Have a game about Team Black or Grey Team and have a noir vibe like Halo 3 ODST with secret ONI missions behind enemy lines. Or have one of the large scale Spartan III suicide missions where hundreds of Spartan IIIs are sent deep into Covenant territory and sent to destroy a military industrial factory, where the chance of survival is slim, but if you do succeed and make it out a stealth ONI Prowler will extract you at a rally point. Or maybe some of the crazy alternate reality stuff that the Spartan IIIs went through in Ghosts of Onyx. There is sooo much material out there for all kinds of cool adventures.

If they wanted to stick with the Master Chief, a series of Halo Adventures following the events of Operation Silent Storm and the 21st Space Assault Battalion, which included Blue, Green and Gold Spartan II teams and a Battalion of ODSTs could be really cool.

As a fan of military and space flight sims, I also would love a space flight sim game with a story and mission progression like the old Star Wars X-Wing space sim game. All kinds of cool UNSC spacecraft to fly on various types of missions.

Yes to all of that.

It would be an interesting take to sort of jump between Spartans mission to mission and have disparate experiences which culminate in the final level(s) where they're all together for the final push and you in real time jump between them and sort of leave lasting instructions as you jump between to gain the win. Give it an AI flavour for story or something.

Havoc2049 Havoc2049 It's weird to me the basically reinvent the wheel every game release. I really like your mini-series of games way more. They get to go off book, be creative and hit a few different genres or story notes all at the same time. Stop with the engine, redesigning everything and all that and just get core teams focusing on smaller games. If they hit big time then invest in them year after year or big redevelopments as GaaS etc.

I've posted so many times about this 343 problem of all their eggs in one basket and when it has poor quality assurance or misses the story landing or multiplayer doesn't please the masses they're shit out of luck for years at a time. Imagine 3 teams of 25 just purely focused on creating mini-series games as you say. A steady flow of Gamepass content and wildly different stories or experiences.

Again another avenue 343 could have really set themselves apart from Bungie's methods with Halo and bog standard game development pipelines but just lack that management decision making to green light something different. The rise and rise of Indies, B/AA titles, Gamepass, crossplay and backwards compatibility in recent years have shown us all just how popular great games can be; completely irrespective of their engine, graphics or odd glitches/mechanics. If 343 were pushing to be the pinnacle of graphics they're a ways off, if they were pushing for the most narrative emotion driven story they're a ways off and the list goes on.

Mini-series would have been far cooler and honestly the more I think about it the freedom it would have afforded the studio could have been a real epiphany for 343.

Even a team taking Halo 5 firefight and turning that into 4-8 player coop teams having story driven moments could have output 4-12 brilliantly crafted mini games over the course of the last 6.5 years.

Again I find myself pissed off at what could have been under 343.

*In case it's not clear I really like your idea.1

ElRenoRaven

So I just have to say that Just for the impovements to vehicles this update is a winner. I actually want to drive my Warthog again. I was going all over the place in campaign and it wouldn't topple over at the tiniest thing. Drove around a few of the multiplayer maps and again it wouldn't topple over at the smallest thing. It actually feels like driving a Warthog again and not a childs matchbox car.

So I just have to say that Just for the impovements to vehicles this update is a winner. I actually want to drive my Warthog again. I was going all over the place in campaign and it wouldn't topple over at the tiniest thing. Drove around a few of the multiplayer maps and again it wouldn't topple over at the smallest thing. It actually feels like driving a Warthog again and not a childs matchbox car.
Sean seems to be enjoying it too.

h00ters

Hearing there are STACK of issues with the update.

Big nerfs on ramp sliding, removed a lot of really cool jump shortcuts, BR will occasionally freeze and not shoot......

Big nerfs on ramp sliding, removed a lot of really cool jump shortcuts, BR will occasionally freeze and not shoot......

I realise bugs, cuts, changes and all that are part of any software release but it's bloody annoying to have Halo on hiatus for over 6 years under the premise they wanted to remove tech debt and build their own engine. Sounds like they've got a litany of issues anyhow.

Against my better judgement I'll update Infinite and give some modes a run with some Halo buds. Hopefully it's fun and not a shit tier experience. Honestly I'm still expecting 95% USA host later tonight when I jump on, doubt 343 can do much to really entice the Aussie market post launch.

This hit Snoop Dogg pretty hard.

Apparently the BR and stickies/collision is seeing a fair amount of bugs/gltiches e.g. BR freezes and cannot shoot, stickies going through character models. I'm mentally preparing my rage meter for playing later tonight.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

New modes are fun - nice twist on King of the Hill scoring changing it up from purely time/seconds scoring of the past games.

I pretty much hate anything resembling BR so im not a huge fan of Last Spartan standing - but I already won over 5 games in it just trying to unlock the stuff.
Last Spartan Standing Protip: just keep using the stock pistol and never upgrade till you get to the commando or even BR level.
The airdrop spam of overshield/invis drops needs toned down bigtime. By endgame I have a stock pile of overshields which is pure dumb.
Still the mode is fun and a cool addition.

Seems the playlists got some remixes. Slayer BRs is now in Team Slayer. BR starts on the launch pad map was different for sure since that maps is not in ranked. I hope the BR starts isnt weighed too heavy in normal Team Slayer - thats what ranked is for.

I like the Breaker map - open areas is what this game needs badly.

Not a huge fan of the new arena map at the moment. 343 sure loves their cramped levels - gameplay seemed campy and not many people moved around. Its a remix is Epitaph it seems and im pretty sure no one liked that map in Halo 3. I would rather have a Citadel remix. The verticality of the new arena map is cool though - maybe ill like it with more playtime.

The noobs have definitely returned - if only temporary. I was pulling off some insane plays that I havent be able to do since launch time.
Its a start - we knew it would be underwhelming. Game is going to really shine with lots more maps.

New modes are fun - nice twist on King of the Hill scoring changing it up from purely time/seconds scoring of the past games.

I pretty much hate anything resembling BR so im not a huge fan of Last Spartan standing - but I already won over 5 games in it just trying to unlock the stuff.
Last Spartan Standing Protip: just keep using the stock pistol and never upgrade till you get to the commando or even BR level.
The airdrop spam of overshield/invis drops needs toned down bigtime. By endgame I have a stock pile of overshields which is pure dumb.
Still the mode is fun and a cool addition.

Seems the playlists got some remixes. Slayer BRs is now in Team Slayer. BR starts on the launch pad map was different for sure since that maps is not in ranked. I hope the BR starts isnt weighed too heavy in normal Team Slayer - thats what ranked is for.

I like the Breaker map - open areas is what this game needs badly.

Not a huge fan of the new arena map at the moment. 343 sure loves their cramped levels - gameplay seemed campy and not many people moved around. Its a remix is Epitaph it seems and im pretty sure no one liked that map in Halo 3. I would rather have a Citadel remix. The verticality of the new arena map is cool though - maybe ill like it with more playtime.

The noobs have definitely returned - if only temporary. I was pulling off some insane plays that I havent be able to do since launch time.
Its a start - we knew it would be underwhelming. Game is going to really shine with lots more maps.

Played a dozen or so games with 2 buddies last night and 1 game of LSS.

King of the Hill is an interesting change, seems designed around blowout type game to sustain players not quitting matches and staging comebacks. I'm not huge fan of any modes where you stand in a box and fight but this feels like a good change.

I'm the opposite, I want a full blown Apex Legends but Halo based and with vehicles and full sandbox from all games or Halo 5 weapon variants. It would be so good if done right. I played only one solo game of LSS and I'm really not a fan of this mode as FFA, I've never liked FFA. I have no idea why 343 doesn't have a second playlist or just went with fireteams of 3 or 4. Literally a new mode on new maps and you cannot play with your friends, it makes zero sense in that respect. So many issues I saw in that one game e.g. camping, third/fourth/fifth partying a fight, overshield saturation etc could be mitigated by squads fighting it out. You can have your back covered, comms, team shoot an OS enemy etc. Oh and actually play with your friends. I really won't play FFA LSS. I wait with baited breath in my helmet to see what Max and CA are cooking up though, perhaps a squad based version of LSS I'd jump back in for too.

The breaker map feels like classic BTB coming back. A far better designed map in terms of vehicles vs on foot and getting around with speed while having sightlines to actually dish out damage etc. Actually really like this one and with updates to symmetrical weapon spawns etc it should really shine. The changes to vehicles and being able to get up to speed and get around a map without catching every little edge etc is very welcomed and finally executed in map design and sandbox mechanics well.

The new arena map was fun, because we got two flag, only got to play it once. It felt a lot less random than the launch maps and I/we enjoyed that, it's still feels a bit Epitaph rather than say Standoff or Zanzibar. I far prefer rolling fight maps with only 1 to 2 levels of verticality being maps like The Pit, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Standoff, Coag, Battle Creek etc. It could have done with a mix of indoor and outdoor stuff. The 343 split between arena and BTB continues to kill what I consider the best parts of Halo 4v4 rolling maps based play from such brilliant maps. Totally agree with the campiness of 343 designed arena maps, they also promote really McDonalds style play even without camping e.g. quick random engagements. The previous game version maps I mention have more deliberate map movements and engagements based on the terrain or choosing to head indoors vs outdoors or having a light vehicle at the right time.

We got an Aussie based game about 60-65% of the time, which is better than it has been. Unfortunately without hard and fast player/party based filters to lock and load just Australia, when we want to search that, the localised population influx isn't going to be sustained. It will drop off and Mint Blitz and I will both be shaking our fists at the 343/Azure cloud again.

The new campaign weapons in the hacked rooms in BTB need to find their way into arena modes and be opened up to play with. Halo 5 had a few too many variants perhaps in the one game but the current BTB locked rooms and giving those weapons chances to spawn in Arena on incoming displayed drops/known timers and locations would be welcomed in some modes. A good differentiator over say ranked vs social. We played with those weapons in customs and they're quite fun and fresh, it's a shame 343 didn't bring them out to play more. I'm also hoping CA's new mode has plenty to do with weapon variants and fighting for control of them.

Overall it's not something that's going to replace Apex Legends for my daily go to game still. Infinite is not polished enough, the matchmaking systems are still too controlled by 343 and the networking is still questionable even when an Aussie local game is being played. I found at least once, if not multiple times, in our matches I'd still die behind walls a good quarter and half second behind my actual gameplay. I still had some rubberbanding in games, players that appear to walk off pistol headshots and all those usual suspects we've come to expect from a buggy 343 game. They really need to work on player choice being a higher priority over 343/matchmaking systems, they need to improve quality assurance and generally their management choices around sustain. I still found myself on maps like Behemoth looking for a BR only to find Commando spawns.

For example we have new maps and in Team Slayer you have 2 out of 12 game list options for the new map to come up. We didn't get it in that playlist, who knows what the weighting percentages of those options are. We had to play two USA hosted games on maps our 3 man fireteam didn't want to jump into. If you look at it from the player/party perspective it should enable us to define Australia only on new content launch as we'd wait for those quality games with the peaks of population, we'd select the new maps and modes we want so we would likely play for another 1-2+ hours more. The UI still has shite scoreboards and post game reports that are still ordered at random. It makes no sense in slayer to show rounds on the team summary TAB, you don't even see a kill count for example in a quick datagrid of all players in game. These sorts of QoL improvements should never have been required but they're still not a priority for 343.

This sort of lack of player focus and party control permeates many systems and experience elements derived from 343's management decisions in game. It downgrades the game experience and actually shortens your own and your party's time playing the game.

*Never got to play attrition despite our party wanting to. Didn't want to play BTB as we just wouldn't get Aussie games and we cannot force it.

Last edited:
We had a ton of fun with that in a custom game. It should stay for a week or so and those locked weapons should rotate in and out.
I haven't played Infinite in a while. I'm currently loading some updates on my laptop and then I'm going to try out the new stuff for season 2.

EDIT: Did anyone upgrade to the season 2 battle pass? I just finished my first event challenge only to realize I don't get credit for it without the battle pass. but now if i upgrade it's not gonna remember that I completed one of the challenges. Lame...

QUICK EDIT 2: Color me surprised. I upgraded and it remembered that I had completed one event challenge. Hooray! But I have to play through steam. When I use the gamepass app on my computer it is agonizingly slow to load.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I haven't played Infinite in a while. I'm currently loading some updates on my laptop and then I'm going to try out the new stuff for season 2.

EDIT: Did anyone upgrade to the season 2 battle pass? I just finished my first event challenge only to realize I don't get credit for it without the battle pass. but now if i upgrade it's not gonna remember that I completed one of the challenges. Lame...

QUICK EDIT 2: Color me surprised. I upgraded and it remembered that I had completed one event challenge. Hooray! But I have to play through steam. When I use the gamepass app on my computer it is agonizingly slow to load.
Looks like its a no brainer to buy the pass in season 2 because you now get 1000 credits in the course of the pass. So if the Season Passes stay at 1000 for each new one - youll only pay for it once - just play the game and it will pay for the next.

Last edited:
Nothing beats rumble pit oddball... The game that takes 30 years to end lol. And I freaking hate the backsmack challenges. Finish one only to get another one that says do it 3 times instead of 1. Brilliant!

Welp that was depressing. After 6 months of having only 3 choices of knee pads i was hoping the new ones with the last man standing event would be universal. Nope. They're core specific.

4 kills 5 deaths shouldn't equal last man standing but i'll take it.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Nothing beats rumble pit oddball... The game that takes 30 years to end lol. And I freaking hate the backsmack challenges. Finish one only to get another one that says do it 3 times instead of 1. Brilliant!

Welp that was depressing. After 6 months of having only 3 choices of knee pads i was hoping the new ones with the last man standing event would be universal. Nope. They're core specific.

4 kills 5 deaths shouldn't equal last man standing but i'll take it.
hah 4 and 5 thats awesome - attrition.
I won a Last man standing when the other dude jumped into the pit for the last death. Classic.

hah 4 and 5 thats awesome - attrition.
I won a Last man standing when the other dude jumped into the pit for the last death. Classic.
Not gonna lie it could have been me. I've fallen into lava right after the showdown has started. Is it just me or does this Halo have the worst hit/fire indicator of any Halo? I never have a flippin clue where I'm getting shot from. Completely useless. hit indicator... Another thing, the game crashes on me every 5-7 games :( Probably because on an outdated laptop but all my settings are down. No difference.

Last edited:
Interference event and weekly challenge completed. I think I have had enough of last man standing for a bit. Might switch over to quick play games.

Really bummed by how they destroyed KotH. Why can’t they just stick with what people love, rather than trying too hard to change things up.
I appreciate a new take but not one where they completely scrap the original and more popular mode. Why not have both? Sorry mate. I don't play a lot of KotH, so the change doesn't impact me as much. Though I know there has to be a lot of upset people out there due to the change.

93xfan

Banned
Interference event and weekly challenge completed. I think I have had enough of last man standing for a bit. Might switch over to quick play games.

I appreciate a new take but not one where they completely scrap the original and more popular mode. Why not have both? Sorry mate. I don't play a lot of KotH, so the change doesn't impact me as much. Though I know there has to be a lot of upset people out there due to the change.
I keep going back to MCC anyway. Can’t get enough of that collection. Everything feels so great in it (minus Halo 4).

I'm kind of wondering what the incentive is to keep progressing through the battle pass. I have the armor I like and not a single piece of the new season armor is compatible. So like, okay I guess I'm done? lol

93xfan

Banned
I know I’m late to this, but the last MCC update makes the menus feel so much better.

MCC beats Reach for my all time favorite/most functional game menu. Especially love the social games section- letting you pick what you’re willing to play.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Sheesh, I saw some disgusting Halo Infinite desync/lag tonight. Im normally not one to complain about that stuff but Ive seen some ridiculous stuff on multiple occasions. Full AR clip, pistol, reload, even more AR, punched by teammates, and no dead. Or my favorite of the night - 2 point blank rockets and no kill.

Ive also been on the benefit side of it - killing people when they reach the corner or wall over and over. Even times it looks on my screen like I shot thru a wall, heh. They gotta sort this stuff out.

Whats really crazy is Ive tried to use theater to spectate those rounds to see what the hell happened - and the theater wont work on those specific rounds. Lagged up rounds?

I'm kind of wondering what the incentive is to keep progressing through the battle pass. I have the armor I like and not a single piece of the new season armor is compatible. So like, okay I guess I'm done? lol
I think I saw they plan on allowing cross armor core customization "eventually" - whenever that is.

Last edited:
Not sure I totally agree with this sentiment. There are a million things wrong with the game currently, so I understand the frustration and annoyance. But I saw the master chief collection make a full comeback after people said it was dead in the water for years. I'll rant my grievances whenever I play Infinite but we are all just in a sad waiting game for now. I play Infinite when the mood strikes me and at some point if Infinite does turn around I'll be the first in line to play some more, as if I didnt spend hours going through content yesterday lol. The weapons locking up and not firing is uber frustrating though. I should have had many more br kills but was punished by the rando powers that be. I also spent time playing KotH yesterday. I noticed that quitters were replaced by bots but more often than not Infinite didn't put in new players to replace the bots. Had 2-3 games in a row with 2 bots on my team and knew it was a hopeless cause at that point.

Last edited:
Not sure I totally agree with this sentiment. There are a million things wrong with the game currently, so I understand the frustration and annoyance. But I saw the master chief collection make a full comeback after people said it was dead in the water for years. I'll rant my grievances whenever I play Infinite but we are all just in a sad waiting game for now. I play Infinite when the mood strikes me and at some point if Infinite does turn around I'll be the first in line to play some more, as if I didnt spend hours going through content yesterday lol. The weapons locking up and not firing is uber frustrating though. I should have had many more br kills but was punished by the rando powers that be. I also spent time playing KotH yesterday. I noticed that quitters were replaced by bots but more often than not Infinite didn't put in new players to replace the bots. Had 2-3 games in a row with 2 bots on my team and knew it was a hopeless cause at that point.
Any game can become great and comeback. Do I think 343 can do that? Not so sure. Do I think they'd spend the marketing dollars even if they struck gold enough? Probably.

I'm waiting on the CA BR style mode and hoping for the best at the moment.

Personally I think Infinite's core and map design gets stale quickly e.g. a couple of games and I don't really want to play anymore. Great maps and modes could change that.

I really don't think 343 get the silent majority of Halo 2 or 3 maps and modes over their arena vs BTB split. They haven't learnt.

93xfan

Banned
Side note about MCC:

MCC made me realize how truly amazing Halo 3 is. Conversely, I find it harder to go back to Reach.

Back in the day, hitscan in Reach helped alleviate how bad the PvP network was registering hits. With MCC, it now feels like I’m playing on a LAN network when playing Halo 3

Last edited:
Side note about MCC:

MCC made me realize how truly amazing Halo 3 is. Conversely, I find it harder to go back to Reach.

Back in the day, hitscan in Reach helped alleviate how bad the PvP network was registering hits. With MCC, it now feels like I’m playing on a LAN network when playing Halo 3
They did some BR updates in Halo 3 MCC and it registers better than ever.

Naked Lunch

Mad respect to 343 for bringing MCC out of the depths of hell and the updates it gets. I have forgiven the launch years of issues but not forgotten.
The initial state of the MCC was so poor - that it made my core group of Halo friends leave not just the MCC but Xbox as a brand forever. I mean these people were diehard, daily playing Halo fans. Its a shame too because eventually their beefs got fixed (years later) - but it pissed them off so much I dont think theyll ever be back.

I just remember MCC used to crash almost every single round - and we came up with a raindance of enter this menu, wait, entire this menu, wait - reboot console, unplug console - all that nonsense just to play a round. Really dark days, heh.

MCC has pulled a full 180 from those days - its now probably the best overall game/package ive ever owned - ill be playing it for as long as I can hold a controller. The match composer they added to the MCC years later is something all Halo games should have had going forward - but its still not in Halo 5 or Infinite for some reason.

Last edited:
It's rather a sad day if even Hidden Xperia is disappointed with season 2. I agree with almost everything he mentions.
  • Changes to KotH not good - though he did like changes to oddball
  • Last man standing is fun but could have been a lot better - he doesn't like no radar, thinks the last weapon should have been something more difficult and unique to get kills, and more weapon options needed, map too large
  • Removing the trick jumps and jump slide stuff was strange given 343 is strained for time to fix things
  • The cut scene was underwhelming - refers to Marty's philosophy of showing players more and telling/explaining less, but cut scene is listening to spartans and not showing a whole lot
  • The academy map shouldn't be stashed away solely in academy
  • searching for rumble pit game types can only be done solo when it should be something you can do with friends
  • A lot of season 1 armor/coatings should not be vaulted away forever, especially certain ones that were only for purchase and never ended up being in the store (probably a mistake in the current description of items)
  • The progression system is still glaringly awful when the only way to progress is solely through doing weekly challenges and buying the battle pass

Naked Lunch

I dunno - im kinda loving the new Infinite Quick Match.
Jumping from CTF, to Slayer, to King of the Hill, to Attrition, to Oddball - theres a ton of variety there now.

I play Halo, one: because its the best FPS gameplay to me (guns/grenades/melee), and two: for the competition to test my skills. This new Quick Match has been delivering that big time. So many great matches recently.

Im seeing alot about the removal of some quick jumps - but the quick jumps I used in Season 1 still work so Im good. Im not a super uber leet so I wasnt even aware of the ones these pro geeks seem to have beef with. The shortcut jumps I use are simply turning off Auto-Clamber and using crouch jumping to reach certain higher platforms without the slower Clamber animation. Gives just a slight edge in certain encounters.

Top Bottom