• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

So you think to yourself. Ok I've had a day to relax, I actually want to play classic MCC Bungie style Halo. You jump back into MCC and you get this shit in the first two matches you try to play. Again and again -

Skip to 1.30s -

USA host again, fun map with Edge and go classic Halo for the sniper power weapon and to also fight for the rockets too. Get a headshot kill on an enemy rushing us and keeping fighting their sniper covering rocks too. Teammate is behind me the whole time just waiting for me to take damage to finish me off and steal the sniper to only run away. So I cannot quit or do anything to balance the game out. So I harass that idiot for the rest of the game and waste 5mins getting him killed because I know about the ban penalty. Block yet another free 400GS smurf account that will just be back on another free email/Xbox account tomorrow or the next week etc. I take nothing but abuse over the mic and know don't bother wasting your time as the bans are on junk accounts anyway, even if Xbox did actually ban that account.

Ok, proceed to play another one, that's just unlucky bullshit with one idiot on the first game, cannot blame 343 there really.

Skip to 2.10s -

Nope, still cannot set just Australia region still (I've had a forum/support post for 5 months now and nothing, they took this setting away from us), go in and get USA host again, get a fun map with Icebox, two of us rush sniper and die (cool, that's Halo pushing for power weapons), respawn and the other 2 aren't even playing, AFKers. Shoot one to see if they start playing? Nope they just quit and it's a shit match. Another quality game there. So after being stuck in a shite match last time I figured the rule of 2 quitters down means you can quit without out ban penalty, right? Nope game bans me immediately.

What a wonderful experience under Xbox, 343 and Halo yet again. It's like this all the time. 343 you are completely shit at designing and curating a quality game experience. Your matchmaking player controls forced through developer set regions are shit. Your allowance of team shooting still is shit. Your banning systems are shit. Your free accounts allowing so many smurf and griefer accounts are shit. Your map and mode sustain is shit.

Honestly fuck Halo. I hate this shit now. I hate the show. I hate the games. I hate 343. You were supposed to be the chosen one, you were supposed to save Halo not destroy it. There's your Star Wars reference you wannabe games studio.

Last edited:
Dang man. The rage is real.
That last paragraph killed me. Good stuff.

Objectively their games are a joke and not AAA at all. QA wise, content wise, sustain wise, networking wise, graphics wise etc. I just cannot be bothered sugar coating it anymore. What a failure of a developer with a candy wrapped franchise to go nuts with. The last 3 games are the best they could do?

I used to be the "play with anyone guy and have fun while competing" with Halo, can chill even losing hardcore or fucking around in customs etc. After 343 with MCC, Halo 5 and now Infinite I am the rage man. If we're in a party and Halo chatter pops on the comms I have to pull myself up and not join the conversation as I'll just rant about all the things that could have been and all the shithouse decisions 343 have put into Infinite. Drives me nuts. *Note: no one plays Infinite in our parties anymore, we all just reminisce and dream about a good Halo game.

I was happy to walk away from Infinite but MCC is fucked too. Apex it is. Looking forward to Fallen Order 2 as well. I have zero desire to return to Infinite's campaign. I have zero desire to play Infinite multiplayer. Friends don't play it either. Kudos 343. You single handily killed off 20+ Halo friends from the franchise. Meanwhile I play Apex with my friends, my kids, my kids friends and even have a laugh with the misses playing too. None of my kids friends play Halo either, they don't even try the free game for multi or campaign. These are kids playing Apex, Fortnite and more.

I'm curious what Bungie have coming in this gaming space. 343/Xbox should be shitting themselves over what's in store. Infinite had the perfect window, 343 jumped right out it feet first. If they're not concerned about what Bungie/Sony are working on then they're in for a surprise. Halo doesn't pull what it used to. The retention is proof of the pudding. The marketing hype numbers from launch of F2P, Gamepass and crossplay is gone. I have real doubt Infinite will ever stand on its own as serious top 5 game and return to anything close to an industry leading game defining things like Xbox live or multiplayer or console FPS etc. By the time Infinite hits its stride in 1-3 years time the other developers of that past decade will blow past Infinite in every department.

For shits and giggles, why don't we check in what Snipedown is playing while I type this -

Apex Legends. Actually his entire month of May Twitch tweets are just Apex streams, guess he went back and also moved away from Halo. Fuck Halo.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm actually really enjoying Infinite the last 2 or 3 weeks. Sure, I do swear or make sarcastic complements etc. But, I'm getting bit by bit better (overall) especially map knowledge, being more patient and unpredictable. Taking into account some stuff is bullshit and acting upon up it, rocket are random so I made some peace with that. Distance myself more from nades. And very much keep an eye out on my teammates incons (shooting at, being shot at, dying, etc) also teammate location awareness let's me semi predict spawns so that's cool.

Most of all; folks are very predictable, they play on automatic mode. Use that

Worst thing atm is being to late to melee after hitting someone with 3 BR shots and just pure unlucky stuff like constantly encountering 3 opponents while I know some teammates are behind me or in a flanking position. That don't do shit to help me.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I really want that white BR:
uZfuMHl.jpg

I do have this white AR 💗

2fxZZlU.jpg

I was tempted to buy that set with the white'sh armor but the rest were those ironman colors which I dont like at all. Plus, to expensive.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I was tempted to buy that set with the white'sh armor but the rest were those ironman colors which I dont like at all. Plus, to expensive.
Call me an old geezer - but I see right past all the cosmetics in this game.

Ive been a red and black spartan with a classic Mark V or VI helmet since 2004 and never changed in the history of the franchise. (I DID have to buy the correct red color for $5 though because the stock red is wrong - what a scam).
I also wont use any weapon skins ever. Defaults all day.
Too stubborn and set in my ways, heh.

Using red armor might put me at a slight disadvantage with the new outline system - teammates sometimes shoot me by accident in ranked and even complain about me wearing red - but I aint changing it.

So yeah, unless they release an exact Halo 1 armor set, my Spartan's look is already set in stone.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Call me an old geezer - but I see right past all the cosmetics in this game.

Ive been a red and black spartan with a classic Mark V or VI helmet since 2004 and never changed in the history of the franchise. (I DID have to buy the correct red color for $5 though because the stock red is wrong - what a scam).
I also wont use any weapon skins ever. Defaults all day.
Too stubborn and set in my ways, heh.

Using red armor might put me at a slight disadvantage with the new outline system - teammates sometimes shoot me by accident in ranked and even complain about me wearing red - but I aint changing it.

So yeah, unless they release an exact Halo 1 armor set, my Spartan's look is already set in stone.

Yeah I get you. Really I do

I'm a sucker for cosmetics (and those I really like are few and far between). It's like feeling fly (lol) because you're wearing new sneakers that you really like. Makes you feel better. It's comparable to skins to me.

With that said I purchase very very rarely something and only if the price matches my thoughts about it

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So many ways to counter and invalidate his comment. Nvm So many assumptions made I should've been aware of playing without coms etc...

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Too right.

Was waiting for friends to jump on Apex so filled it with a little MCC. Getting our asses handed to us until...(skip to 2mins) mongoose 2-flag standoff rush with a triple and...finally a randy teammate that understands objective games. The Halo unicorn is real.

tenor.gif

You have to be lucky when slayer is 3 to 16 within 4 minutes in their favor I quit..I'll save my sweat

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Put my initial accel at 2 and horizontall and vertical on 4 or 4.5. So low but I noticed "over aiming) instead of staying on target..helps a lot too for those long distance BR battles.

Only downside is CQ melee battles. FoV 98 or 102. Btw liking this new map.

And fuck US host

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Put my initial accel at 2 and horizontall and vertical on 4 or 4.5. So low but I noticed "over aiming) instead of staying on target..helps a lot too for those long distance BR battles.

Only downside is CQ melee battles. FoV 98 or 102. Btw liking this new map.

And fuck US host
I still cant find a proper sens and deadzone setting - for Infinite or MCC. Nothing I try controls how I remember 360 Halo controlling.
For distance targets - my aim is all over the place. I cannot snipe correctly.
I dont know if its the game itself - or the Xbox Series'/One's taller thumbsticks.

A big issue is - I dont understand what the actual setting is even changing.
For the Deadzone settings - one is inner deadzone, ok.
One is Outer, fine,
But the middle setting is about about variance curve or something - what is that setting even doing?

And in the default settings are all over the place - uneven numbers. For deadzones - the default numbers dont even line up. They are like 7 9 7 or something. Its confusing.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Firstly, choose bumper jumper.

Secondly go as low as possible and gradually go higher when you notice they're moving your reticule goes way past enemies

Dead zone as small as possible and up it until your thumbsticks don't move on their own. I played a lot with my deadzones to high (mostly for moving) and got accustomed and corrected it myself.

Also I would try linear curve.

That way input stays the same instead of speeding up when reaching the outer rim of said sticks.

Just my 2 cents and it's about Halo Infinite

Try to follow a grunt with a sniper from afar, are you having trouble following it? Sense to slow. Are you going beyond hin and have to readjust your aim by waiting for it to come in your crosshair, sense to high.

But yeah it's a fine balance between close, medium and combat at a decent distance.

What's your go to approach? Focus on that firstly.

Hope that helps I'm no expert

Btw. If I'm correct; the higher your POV the slower your aiming feels

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Firstly, choose bumper jumper.

Secondly go as low as possible and gradually go higher when you notice they're moving to fast from your reticule

Dead zone as small as possible and up it until your thumbsticks don't move on their own. I played a lot with my deadzones to high (mostly for moving) and got accustomed and corrected it myself.

Also I would try linear curve.

That way input stays the same instead of speeding up when reaching the outer rim of said sticks.

Just my 2 cents and it's about Halo Infinite

Try to follow a grunt with a sniper from afar, are you having trouble following it? Sense to slow. Are you going beyond hin and have to readjust your aim by waiting for it to come in your crosshair, sense to high.

But yeah it's a fine balance between close, medium and combat at a decent distance.

What's your go to approach? Focus on that firstly.

Hope that helps I'm no expert

Btw. If I'm correct; the higher your POV the slower your aiming feels
Very awesome post man, thanks.
Ill have to dig in further - starting at low numbers.

Can you explain what you mean by "try linear curve" - What setting is that? That is probably the biggest issue for my set up if im using something that speeds up my aim.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Very awesome post man, thanks.
Ill have to dig in further - starting at low numbers.

Can you explain what you mean by "try linear curve" - What setting is that? That is probably the biggest issue for my set up if im using something that speeds up my aim.

01011001 01011001

He has a detailed graph and analysis regarding sensitivity curves. He's more help.

Linear is from what understand your aiming speed doesnt change depending on how far you turn your aiming thumstick towards its outer ridge

Like with one particular curve option your right aiming stick turns up it's "looking" speed how further you put said stick from neutral to the outer edge..does that makes sense?

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

01011001 01011001

He has a detailed graph and analysis regarding sensitivity curves. He's more help.

Linear is from what understand your aiming speed doesnt change depending on how far you turn your aiming thumstick towards its outer ridge

Like with one particular curve option your right aiming stick turns up it's "looking" speed how further you put said stick from neutral to the outer edge..does that makes sense?
It does but im assuming there is no "on/off" switch for linear/non-linear.
I guess I have to change the curve value based off what the other 2 deadzone values are to get it to equal linear.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I really need to get on BJ but I have to unlearn like 18 years of how I have used an Xbox controller lol

You can jump (important aspect in Halo) without ha having to take your thumb away. So you can stay looking/steering while being verticality mobile!

Yeah jumping 😅

Takes 2 sessions with some matches fucking around

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I made some screenshots and uploaden them automatically to the Xbox app but I cant seem to zoom in. Normal?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Had to do screenshot, cut off side stuff etc just to get what I want to show

DOI7Q1p.png

Still it didn't work out but yeah

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
When your teammates prioritize the ball, flag, whatever instead of firstly focussing on killing at least 3 opponents..

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I fucking hate those hammers.

Prolly because of the net code or whatever advantage some guys have. It's almost useless unless I'm so close i can rate his shitty armor.

Offhost Swat sucks ass. When you see a team mate crouching and or hiding he's prolly dealing with a smaller hitbox, faster appearance or opponent and thus seeing you first or just plain old love for camping

/rant

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw I'm somewhat addicted but sometimes it's nice get your frustrations of your chest

Hope nobody minds

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Don't sleep on your sidearm.

Dont be to hasty when they're at full health; bodyshots and finish with a headshot. Or run and empty your clip and end with melee. Redbars are easy headshot victim's.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Knowing the general locations of your teammates helps so much to predict the opponents spawnpoints. Helps a bunch because you can anticipate. It works maybe 60% of the time but still. To bad I'm mostly the only one understanding this.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Last edited:

Aggrotek

Knowing the general locations of your teammates helps so much to predict the opponents spawnpoints. Helps a bunch because you can anticipate. It works maybe 60% of the time but still. To bad I'm mostly the only one understanding this.
This is a big part of Halo, being able to control enemy spawns is super important. You can pretty much force enemies to spawn in specific spots if your team is coordinated enough.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This is a big part of Halo, being able to control enemy spawns is super important. You can pretty much force enemies to spawn in specific spots if your team is coordinated enough.

Yeah man. Seeing 3 teammates bunched up is like..

Sigh

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw I bought these

It0wYtP.jpg
yfeMxTe.jpg
rssKFtG.jpg

It0wYtP.jpg

yfeMxTe.jpg

Sorry mobile posting is a nightmare

All from kontrolfreek.com. they were the cheapest. I really hope its helps

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sorry I tried to edit but Chrome Mobile suck ass

Have to fuck around with the grip because it's for the 8bitdo

Those thumbstick grips go for like 16 bucks on kontrolfreek instead of 50 euros on Amazon wtf

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Finished all challenges including the ULTIMATE one. I know it's beating a dead horse but this challenge system sucks hairy pig balls.

Also. FIESTA, opposing team spawns over and over with swords and hammer while I get a plasma pistol and whatever

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Im still playing thru Infinite's campaign 6 months later. Still havent finished it. I play single player stuff in bits and pieces - it could have been alot more and I can see where they probably tied much of this together with tape and glue but I still enjoy it for what it is. Its fun experimenting with different weapons and tactics. Theres so many hidden routes, side bases, and sightlines. Some of the terrain and sights of the Halo are incredible. This is one game where I dont mind when it turns to night. Ive taken a billion screenshots by now.

Making the story mostly thru audio clips is one strange choice - I kinda hate it. Im wondering if all these clips were originally cutscenes and part of the game? We'll never know. I will say I miss having cutscenes, theyre so far and few between - Halo traditionally has had countless iconic cutscenes.

I also just read the Tales of Slipspace and Rise of Atriox graphic novels. I really enjoyed both. Still picking away at the Halo Encyclopedia. Reading with Halo soundtracks in the background. Love the classic vagueness of the Halo storytelling. Still my favorite scifi universe ive ever encountered.

This Halo 2 rework track from Infinite is so good.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Im still playing thru Infinite's campaign 6 months later. Still havent finished it. I play single player stuff in bits and pieces - it could have been alot more and I can see where they probably tied much of this together with tape and glue but I still enjoy it for what it is. Its fun experimenting with different weapons and tactics. Theres so many hidden routes, side bases, and sightlines. Some of the terrain and sights of the Halo are incredible. This is one game where I dont mind when it turns to night. Ive taken a billion screenshots by now.

Making the story mostly thru audio clips is one strange choice - I kinda hate it. Im wondering if all these clips were originally cutscenes and part of the game? We'll never know. I will say I miss having cutscenes, theyre so far and few between - Halo traditionally has had countless iconic cutscenes.

I also just read the Tales of Slipspace and Rise of Atriox graphic novels. I really enjoyed both. Still picking away at the Halo Encyclopedia. Reading with Halo soundtracks in the background. Love the classic vagueness of the Halo storytelling. Still my favorite scifi universe ive ever encountered.

This Halo 2 rework track from Infinite is so good.

Nice to see you're into Halo's lore so much (as many others I reckon) That way your whole SP experience is so much different from mine.

Without going into to much detail and being all negative and all I really didn't enjoy those audio clips form the banished. Everytime I was like STFU lmao. Oh well...

Anyways, I've unlocked that green one eyed hologram visor but it's only unusable on the default spartan core.

Realy hope they make this mix cores, coatings etc a reality. Was pretty letdown by it

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
iB9kFZk.png

FFzUitd.jpg

I'm no carrier. Get to anxious and paranoid and no comms leaves you guessing non stop. I'm good a anticipating. spotting and slaying while keeping the objective in mind

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Looks like you did well. Teammates need to carry their own weight sometimes.

Playing mixed. Played bad so got Gold. But come one.. and hey I'm mediocre at best. Luckily i dont care about results. Just wanna have those dope moments. I'm also going against my principles and use Sword and hammer. Fuck it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom