• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A.B. Cop - Sega's lesser known super scaling arcade game - and why scaling was so awesome

VGEsoterica

Anyone remember A.B. Cop? Of all the classic 2D Sega Arcade games it's probably one of the least talked about but one of the most fun for the classic "pick up and play" style it exhibits.

Ever play Road Rash? Then you've basically played A.B. Cop. It's basically Road Rash set in the future, before Road Rash ever came out. Except as opposed to strictly trying to destroy opponents on motorcycles, you destroy opponents on motorcycles AND boses which are half "creature", half vehicle..or at least I think that's what they were going for? Lol hard to strictly say but it's an extremely weird game that throws clown bikers and mutant monsters at you left and right. Plus it's an awesome game to play with friends; each stage is short enough where you can compete with one another for the best time on that stage. I mean the entire game takes maybe 12-15 minutes to beat if you are good at it, so it's something you can really work at getting better at.

When I say lesser known though, it ran on the "X" series arcade board from Sega, which inconsequentially also had After Burner, After Burner II, G.P Rider and Super Monaco GP on it....so a lesser known hover bike based game was destined to go into the "obscure" pile. Doesn't help that it was never ported either.

I do miss these types of games though. The fact that in 1990 you could see such huge sprites scaling to give a pseudo-3D effect in arcades when home consoles were lightyears behind technologically is why I loved arcades growing up.

Curious who else has ever played A.B. Cop? Or what your all time fav super scaler game is from Sega? It was such a huge genre for them back in the day. With all these "retro revamp" games coming out I wish someone would reinvent the 2D scaling style of games like this

Birdo

Banned
Looks interesting. I'll give it a look on MAME.

My favorite SEGA sprite-scaling game has to be Galaxy Force 2. It straight-up looks like proper 3D at times.

Kuranghi

Looks interesting. I'll give it a look on MAME.

My favorite SEGA sprite-scaling game has to be Galaxy Force 2. It straight-up looks like proper 3D at times.

Its crazed that this isn't 3D, its so amazing! I think I might've played it on Amiga and thats why its familiar.

You def need to play Galactic Storm then!

The scaling on this one is awesome!

Both of those were really cool, thanks mans.

Top Bottom