• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega World Drivers Championship; one of the best pure modern arcade racing games ever! And other options!

VGEsoterica

Sega today is a shell of the company they once were; no custom hardware on arcade floors, no home console, Sonic is just kind of "weird" (opinions may vary but we can't deny Sonic is not as good as he once was) and overall modern Sega doesn't even feel like the same Sega we grew up with.

But that does NOT mean that Sega can't still deliver on their bread and butter arcade genre...the arcade racing game. Because Sega World Drivers Championship is one of the best pure racing games to have come out in the modern era in my opinion.

It's basically a pseudo sequel to Sega GT on the Dreamcast...but its the Super GT license this time around. Real tracks, realistic graphics and some of the best pure driving physics and mechanics I've seen in the last five or so years. In a lot of ways it feels like an "arcade Forza" except less ridiculous than Horizons and without all the cheesy story and gameplay interruptions all over the place.

Start a race, put the pedal down and start driving. Nothing getting in between you and having a good time. Amazing graphics, incredible soundtrack and pure physics perfection. Plus you can play it on your PC today or if you are lucky enough to be near an arcade cabinet via online multiplayer with 39 other opponents. Really its BEGGING for a proper home port as the game needs a bigger audience.

But it just proves that even if Sega is different and diminished they are still leading the pack when it comes to the arcade racing game.

But GAF...what are some of the other best modern racing games? I will say GT7 in VR is mind blowing...and I dont even love Gran Turismo much

Skyfox

Wish they'd release Daytona 2017 on consoles and PC. And more of their rally and arcade racers...

Sega today is a shell of the company they once were; no custom hardware on arcade floors, no home console, Sonic is just kind of "weird" (opinions may vary but we can't deny Sonic is not as good as he once was) and overall modern Sega doesn't even feel like the same Sega we grew up with.
I don't agree with that at all . Sonic is better than the overrated 2D games SEGA can't help what happened with Arcades and since Haruki Satomi took over SEGA I've seen part of the old SEGA come back with some brilliant titles and now that overrated twat Nagoshi-san is gone. I think we'll see the old creative side of SEGA back too

Blue skies I see...

VGEsoterica

I don't agree with that at all . Sonic is better than the overrated 2D games SEGA can't help what happened with Arcades and since Haruki Satomi took over SEGA I've seen part of the old SEGA come back with some brilliant titles and now that overrated twat Nagoshi-san is gone. I think we'll see the old creative side of SEGA back too

Blue skies I see...
Let's hope!

Top Bottom