• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bitdo ultimate wireless controller is amazing (shill thread)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I had been using an Xbox controller on PC for the longest time with the official dongle and it would randomly disconnect at the most inconvenient times no matter what I did. In the middle of ranked Moron Kombat matches. In souls games where it won’t pause. I also have a dualsense but I preferred the Xbox d pad for fighting games. Anyway I finally said let me try something else after it kept costing me matches.

08-l.jpg

I really don’t have much to say other than this thing fucking rules. You get hall effect sticks, an AMAZING d pad that shits on both modern xbox and dualsense, and a dock that automatically turns it on when you pick it up and turns it off when you put it down. For $50! I’ve had it for like 2 weeks and have had 0 connection issues as well. You can also download their software and set bindings however you want but I haven’t even bothered.

I was always wary of 3rd party controllers going back madcatz n64 controllers covered in cheeto dust but these guys are legit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got this one, but the model that also has Bluetooth and doubles as a Switch Pro controller. Only been using it for a few months, but I absolutely love it and refuse to go back to using the Xbox controller on PC.

In the middle of ranked Moron Kombat matches.
lol

Last edited:

Jesb

I just ordered one that I should have tonight. Looking for something for GFN. I’m currently just using a DS4 and hope it’s much better.

shaddam

I only own 8bitdo wireless adapters for pc and ps2 and a ps2 memory card with sd card slot. I have to say they are a solid company, good firmware support too.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
This is known....the new GuilKit is great as well.

I just picked up the updated Ultimated 2.4ghrz model that has the updated thumbsticks.

Still a good controller and the price is fantastic esp. if you don't want Bluetooth.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I've had one on my Amazon list for some time. I'm currently using a Xbox elite 2 on my pc and I like it a lot. But I love all their retro controllers and have 4 all together. I'll probably bite any day now.

poodaddy

Easily the best PC controller I've ever owned, and the software for remapping isn't bad either. I love it so much I'll probably end up getting another at some point for my daughter and maybe one for the game room upstairs. Played through the entire Crysis quadrilogy with that controller last month and it was a great experience.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Great controller for the Switch--better than the Pro controller. I only wish I could get it to wake the Switch from sleep mode.

bought the purple one for my toddler for console emulation on pc.
havent used it much, but seems ok.

still x360 for me.

Last edited:

Jesb

I just got it tonight and really love it so far. I’m guessing though I’m not going to be able to use the back buttons unless im gaming on a pc? I’m using this on gfn straight from the app on my shield device

Shakka43

I just got it tonight and really love it so far. I’m guessing though I’m not going to be able to use the back buttons unless im gaming on a pc? I’m using this on gfn straight from the app on my shield device
You set the back buttons to mimic any of the other buttons by setting up profiles with the 8bitdo ultimate App. Once you setup up to 3 profiles they will work on whatever devices the controller is compatible with.

I bought mine before they added the hall effect sticks to the Ximput version, wish I had waited a little longer but I'm still very happy with it. I also have several other 8bitdo controllers and they have all hold up greatly so far so I'm not too worried about getting stick drift.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Rubbish, along with the Gulikit KK3 pro, just got it from Amazon and its going straight back.

Amazed anyone would think these shite controllers are better than xbox or dualsense controllers.

bbeach123

Can never live without the symetric playstation layout . Playing monster hunter and souls game (fromsoft) feel so freaking much better .

You can use both the Left stick and D-pad while playing . Cant do that shit with the xbox playout .

Last edited:

keefged4

I have two of them, amazing controllers, however I sometimes feel the analogue sticks are a tad too small. They also aren't 100% accurate with inputs. I'm using a Gamesir T4 Kaelid just now and the sticks being slightly bigger and hall effect make a massive difference. Be aware that the Gyro polling rate for the 8bitdo ulimate bluetooth controllers are pretty poor, and have a lot of jitter, so if you are looking to use it for Gyro I'd reccomend going elsewhere. Other than that, can reccomend.

TrebleShot

What exactly was wrong with it?
Few things,
Feels cheap, the controller is clearly cheap materials.

Back buttons half decent and feels quite snappy and responsive but the mapping is a little archaic sometimes maps, sometimes doesn't.

Th Gyro is pathetic and lord knows why no one mentions steam doesn't pick it up as an input so you sorely rely on the controller itself, also games with native support dont recognise the gyro, basically useless.

Buttons fine but nothing to write home about.

The only real benefit is the hall effect sticks and triggers, but ive never had any issues with DS or XBX ones, just lucky I guess.

£75 for non native, third party, twisty implementation and cheap feeling compared to first party ones. So back it goes. (KKpro3)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Few things,
Feels cheap, the controller is clearly cheap materials.

Back buttons half decent and feels quite snappy and responsive but the mapping is a little archaic sometimes maps, sometimes doesn't.

Th Gyro is pathetic and lord knows why no one mentions steam doesn't pick it up as an input so you sorely rely on the controller itself, also games with native support dont recognise the gyro, basically useless.

Buttons fine but nothing to write home about.

The only real benefit is the hall effect sticks and triggers, but ive never had any issues with DS or XBX ones, just lucky I guess.

£75 for non native, third party, twisty implementation and cheap feeling compared to first party ones. So back it goes. (KKpro3)
You must have got scammed. I have never had a8bitdo controller that feels cheap. 😵‍💫

Zuzu

I recently returned the Ultimate wired version for Xbox because I found the ergonomics of it to be poor. The outer sides of the controller are almost directly angled straight vertically which caused me to have to bend my wrists at a very uncomfortable more 90 degree angle. They aren't sloped like a standard Xbox controller so they don't allow my wrists to rest at a natural angle like with the Xbox controller. The buttons and paddles were nice though.

Oh well not for me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I use the 8Bitdo controller wireless adaptor on my Switch for multiplayer with my partner, and it works flawlessly with an Xbox controller.

nkarafo

For me no matter how great the controller itself might be, i would never use a generic bluetooth device to connect it to my PC. I had all sorts of issues with any such controllers, including 8-Bido ones, with random disconnects, having to manually re-connect the controllers after every restart, high input lag and other general jankiness.

I never had any issues with XBOX controllers (360/One/X) using the official dongles. This is the only reliable wireless connection from my experience. Yes, i had some disconnects but they are very rare (about once every two months or something). I think in your case the dongle was busted.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sorry but no. No matter how great the controller itself might be, i would never use a generic bluetooth device to connect it to my PC. I had all sorts of issues with any such controller, including 8-Bido ones, with random disconnects, having to manually re-connect the controllers after every restart, high input lag and other general jankiness.

The only solution "for the PC at least" is any XBOX controller (360/One/X) using the official dongle. This is the only reliable wireless connection from my experience.

Ehh I use an elite 2 on my pc with Bluetooth with no problems.

But also every Bluetooth 8bitdo controller I own has multiple modes so you can connect as an xinput device and not a generic usb controller.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Have you ever measured the input lag? How does it compare with an XBOX controller?

I can't tell the difference but I'm sure there is some.

But I just played through super Mario 3 and rondo the other day with a 8bitdo controller without any issues where I do have issues playing those same games on the switch and ps5. 🤷‍♂️

nkarafo

I can't tell the difference but I'm sure there is some.

But I just played through super Mario 3 and rondo the other day with a 8bitdo controller without any issues where I do have issues playing those same games on the switch and ps5. 🤷‍♂️

Well, official emulation services are a very low hanging fruit to compare anything with. Almost anything is better than those...

Do the newer 8-bido controllers come with their own dongle? I know the issue is with the bluetooth device. Seems like every single one i ever used was crap then. So which one is good/reliable? I don't want to re-set the controller after every restart and i hate input lag. The reason i prefer the XBOX controllers is the official dongle basically. Also, no, my motherboard doesn't have a built-in bluetooth.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can get versions that are
Well, official emulation services are a very low hanging fruit to compare anything with. Almost anything is better than those...

Do the newer 8-bido controllers come with their own dongle? I know the issue is with the bluetooth device. Seems like every single one i ever used was crap then. So which one is good/reliable? I don't want to re-set the controller after every restart and i hate input lag. The reason i prefer the XBOX controllers is the official dongle basically. Also, no, my motherboard doesn't have a built-in bluetooth.

They usually do make 2.4g version if Bluetooth isn't your thing also

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Great controller as long as you don't forget to change the keys on Steam, otherwise it's confusing as fuck (it's Switch layout and Steam thinks its Xbox).
Battery is fantastic (20+ hours).
For me no matter how great the controller itself might be, i would never use a generic bluetooth device to connect it to my PC. I had all sorts of issues with any such controllers, including 8-Bido ones, with random disconnects, having to manually re-connect the controllers after every restart, high input lag and other general jankiness.

I never had any issues with XBOX controllers (360/One/X) using the official dongles. This is the only reliable wireless connection from my experience. Yes, i had some disconnects but they are very rare (about once every two months or something). I think in your case the dongle was busted.
Get the one that's both (and can be used wired).
61vcSR1I9OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BlakeofT

I don't have the one in the OP, but I do have a Pro 2 wireless (Xbox themed) controller I use on my PC and an SN30pro+ that I use for my Switch. I love them both and they were pretty inexpensive. My only complaint is that the SN30pro+ sometimes won't connect; usually a system restart fixes it but sometimes not.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Great controller as long as you don't forget to change the keys on Steam, otherwise it's confusing as fuck (it's Switch layout and Steam thinks its Xbox).
Battery is fantastic (20+ hours).

Get the one that's both (and can be used wired).
61vcSR1I9OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That’s why I didn’t buy the bluetooth one lol. The wireless only one has the Xbox layout.

Top Bottom