• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 yr old boy saves 6 in a fire, dies trying to save 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkerkory

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/21/us/new-york-boy-saves-family-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

An 8-year-old boy was killed in a mobile-home fire in upstate New York early Monday while attempting to rescue a disabled relative inside, according to authorities.
Tyler J. Doohan, of East Rochester, was staying at the home of relatives in the nearby town of Penfield on Sunday night when he noticed a fire in the single-wide trailer, said Penfield Fire Chief Chris Ebmeyer.

As firefighters and sheriff's deputies responded to an emergency call around 4:45 a.m., Tyler was able to wake six other people in the small trailer, including two more children, ages 4 and 6, Ebmeyer said.

Then Tyler went back into the blaze to help his grandfather, who was disabled and would have been unable to get out of the home on his own, Ebmeyer said.
"By that time, the fire had traveled to the back of the trailer," Ebmeyer said. "Unfortunately they both succumbed to heat and smoke."

HERO STATUS. RIP =/

CrazyDude

There were 4 adults and not one of them decided to stop the kid from going back in or try themselves to go save the grandfather instead of the 8 year old?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in saying they were confused and lost track of him.

Krakn3Dfx

Alright, you got me Gaf, I'm getting all misty sitting here in my office at work.

That's some heartbreaking stuff right there.

adj_noun

Ebmeyer said the trailer had no working smoke detector.

Install 'em if you don't have 'em, check your batteries, etc. It's a heck of a lot less expensive than what this ultimately cost. :(

RIP.

trixx

Omg just like the teen that confronted the suicide bomber I'm in tears.

8 years old man.

Amazing human being R.I.P

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
This kid is a hero.

Install 'em if you don't have 'em, check your batteries, etc. It's a heck of a lot less expensive than what this ultimately cost. :(

RIP.

my wife and I own 5 trailers. People disable them because they either beep (need a new battery) or set them off with their cooking and then disable them. One home we bought had both disabled.

I always, always check them, replace them and make sure the batteries are good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The kid is a badass. Tragic that he ended up dying. Beyond his years to think that quickly and out others ahead of himself.

Gee. Hows about some good happy news GAF, you guys seem obsessed with digging up this stuff.

Whenever feel good stories get posted, nobody posts in the thread.

RIP.

My fiancee hates them because of how loud they are when the batteries start to run low. I still put them up anyway because fuck that shit, I'd prefer a small nuisance to fucking dying any day.

My fiancee hates them because of how loud they are when the batteries start to run low. I still put them up anyway because fuck that shit, I'd prefer a small nuisance to fucking dying any day.

Good grief, reminds me of the thread earlier where the dude would rather get STD's and spread em around then deal with condoms.

They save lives people, yours and others, fucking use them.

Is she on foul Team Ketchup or the heroic Team Mustard, though? That's what really matters when building a family, not safety.

Prez

She hates smoke detectors for something that happens only once a year? How does make any god damn sense?

Jhoan

38848-The-Feels-gif-UHzu.gif

That made me tear up. The boy died a hero and will be remembered as a hero. The saddest thing was his grandfather didn't make it out.

I remember reading about the boy in Pakistan who sacrificed his life to save his friends/school from a suicide bomber. So many stories about kids dying to protect others this year but yet so brave for doing so.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Stories like this make me marvel at the sheer brilliance that humans are capable of. What a story and one that touches every corner of your emotions.

massoluk

Banned
Good guy always dies young.
I'm saddened because who knows how many more he could have helped if he lives to become an adult.
RIP, the World lost a true treausre.

NastyBook

Good grief, reminds me of the thread earlier where the dude would rather get STD's and spread em around then deal with condoms.
Somebody never listened to Nothin' but a G thang.
They save lives people, yours and others, fucking use them.
I'm surprised by how many people are turned off by such a life saving necessity.

And R.I.P. to the brave young man. You hate to say something like you wished he would've stayed outside before going in that last time, but you know his intentions were pure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom