• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 y old boy up late playing video game(Rainbow 6: Seige)saves family from house fire

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But he wasn't aware... He couldn't even hear the beeping in the house!

Exactly. Reminds me of the story about some robber that was gonna kill a mans wife and kids because he had noise-cancelling headphones on.

Maybe I'm getting something wrong here, but if the smoke alarm is going off then you're supposed to hear it. Obviously Ethan couldn't because he had his headphones on, fine, but everybody else was sleeping through it?! What kind of weak-ass alarm did they have installed in that household lol.

It depends on how far away they were from the alarm. That is why smoke alarms these days can be daisy-chained quite easily. So if you have an alarm in the kitchen and it goes off it'll trigger the smoke alarm by the bedrooms as well. Some people are also incredibly heavy sleepers. I live in the city on a busy street and slept through a car crash right in front of my house that destroyed my neighbors car and the drivers. I only woke up when I heard the police sirens arriving.

Glad everything turned out alright for these people.

prag16

Banned
Sounds like they need a better alarm if it doesn't wake them up. Ours is deafening, no way I'd miss hear it, headphones on, sleeping, etc.

This was my first thought. I sleep like the dead, and our alarm cuts right through that. There's a ~5-10 second period where I'm really hazy but after that I'm up. If NOBODY who was asleep heard the alarm, and the kid couldn't hear it over some headphones, yeah, they need a better alarm.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait. The kid in the same room passed out because of smoke inhalation but gamer kid didn't notice?

Maybe the passed out kid was after the 11 year old opened the door? Smoke generally won't go under doors?

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-...ying-video-games-saves-family-from-house-fire

Boy_up_late_playing_video_games__saves_f_1_34620257_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Boy_up_late_playing_video_games__saves_f_2_34620258_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Moral of the story, video games save lives

jacobeid

Banned
Good story but holy shit is that writing atrocious.

"all ready dead"
"Play Station 4"
"playing the PS4 right her"
"Ethan said he walked out of the room and saw huge flames in the kitchen, but that's when he sprang into action."

These people get paid for this and they can't even bother to use anything other than spellcheck.

lame gag

Banned
Eh? No acknowledgement for the guy that actually said "Hang on mate, there's beeps coming from your end of the mic". If he hadn't have said that, Ethan would probably be still sat looking at the screen.

LQX

Being that he was the only one up that late I wonder if he accidentally set it. Either way, at least no one died.

JBwB

Holy crap this is similar to what happened to me and my family.

I was playing The Witcher 2 at around 3 AM (I know) and felt hungry so I went downstairs for a snack.
Got to the kitchen and from there I could smell smoke, it was coming from the garage...

I opened the back door to the garage (you could access it from inside the house) and what I saw inside was a massive fire with all the smoke billowing out of the door I just opened.

As soon as I saw that I rushed to wake up everyone in my family, with my dad calling the firefighters the moment everyone was safe. The fire itself was contained to the garage and hallway thanks to the firefighters so fortunately the house was still in decent shape.

Apparently the garage door motor was the cause of the fire.
If I wasn't playing video games up late I can't imagine what would've happened.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I think he would've heard the beeping if he wasn't playing video gmaes

This is awesome, but I wonder if we'd even have the story if he didn't have headphones on.

"Boy hears fire alarm and makes family aware of fire." isn't quite the same headline.

Odrion

Banned
Good story but holy shit is that writing atrocious.

"all ready dead"
"Play Station 4"
"playing the PS4 right her"
"Ethan said he walked out of the room and saw huge flames in the kitchen, but that's when he sprang into action."

These people get paid for this and they can't even bother to use anything other than spellcheck.

Maybe it was a 11 y old boy up late writing video game(Rainbow 6: Seige)news?

Folks if YOUR house doesn't have smoke alarms please get some today.

You can get interlinked ones too, so that you can put them in several rooms - if one goes off they all go off, so you will always hear it.

I have several of the third one down on this page: http://www.safelincs.co.uk/radio-interlinked-smoke-alarms/

Plus a heat alarm for the kitchen (smoke alarms in kitchen go off too easily) and a CO detector in the room with our log burner.

My friend's children are growing up without a Daddy because his house didn't have smoke alarms. RIP Benjy :'(

Mad respect for that kid for taking the initiative to save those people, glad to know theres still some good people left in this world.

Top Bottom