• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11 y old boy up late playing video game(Rainbow 6: Seige)saves family from house fire

Tripon

BAKERSFIELD, CALIF. - An 11 year old boy, Ethan Peterson, was staying the night at his aunt and uncle's house Monday night and was up late playing Rainbow Six Seige on Play Station 4. His cousin, Julius Peterson, was also in the room, but had fallen asleep.

Ethan was playing live online with a friend from out of town when his friend told him he could hear beeping coming from Ethan's end of the game. Ethan said he took off his headphones and that's when he could hear the smoke alarm going off.

"I was playing the PS4 right her and then my friend asked me what is that sound going off in the background and I take off the headphones and I hear alarms," said Ethan Peterson.

After that, Ethan said he walked out of the room and saw huge flames in the kitchen, but that's when he sprang into action.

The aunt and uncle, Lisett and Archie Peterson woke up, thanks to Ethan, and ran out of the house. It was then that they realized Julius was still inside. Lisett Peterson ran back in and tried waking Julius up, she said she thought he all ready died from smoke inhalation. Archie Peterson was right behind her and picked up Julius as they both ran out.

Archie Peterson said he inhaled so much smoke that he passed out momentarily as he got to the door and then got back up a few seconds later.

The fire department extinguished the flames and took a moment to tell Ethan he did everything right.

The Peterson's also have two young girls who decided last minute to stay the night at their aunt and uncle's house over night. Lisett Peterson said she believes everything happens for a reason and the entire family credit Ethan for saving their lives.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-...ying-video-games-saves-family-from-house-fire

Boy_up_late_playing_video_games__saves_f_1_34620257_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Boy_up_late_playing_video_games__saves_f_2_34620258_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I told y'all Siege is great. Best Rainbow Six game in a LONG time.

georly

I did this, but playing star fox 64. Was up at 11:30pm on a school night playing, whole house was asleep, I smelled burning somewhere. Turns out a small fire started in our attic and we were able to put it out and call the fire department before anything bad happened.

raid chat: afk for a while guys, house is on fire!

Ive heard that in WoW a couple of times.

Playing in a college dorm, this happened a lot. Basically any time someone burned popcorn.

Ethan was playing live online with a friend from out of town when his friend told him he could hear beeping coming from Ethan's end of the game.

Nice that the friend picked up on it.

Siege is straight fire?

Fisty

Sensing the high levels of heat, Ethan's PS4 cooling fan switched to high speed and took flight from the burning house. It landed safely in Ethan's hands as they were treated by local paramedics outside.

Happy ending for everyone!

StillEdge

Damn. Straight up forgot his cousin back there.

To everyone wondering how he didn't hear the beeping. I assume he had some Astros or a similar big headset. The Ps4 comes with that weak ass earpiece. If he was rocking the ear piece then he needs to become more aware of his surroundings.

GavinUK86

"Video games kill"

They can also save lives.

Good on that kid.

And the kid he was playing online with. He's the one that heard the alarm.

eksy

Banned
Hmm. I think it would a bad idea to post the thisisfine.jpg pic

But thats what came to mind when I read the kid was too oblivious to the proximity fire

He should be thanking his buddy for informing him

Palehorse

Sounds like they need a better alarm if it doesn't wake them up. Ours is deafening, no way I'd miss hear it, headphones on, sleeping, etc.

Wait. The kid in the same room passed out because of smoke inhalation but gamer kid didn't notice?

Sounded like the other kid had fallen asleep earlier, not passed out from smoke inhalation. The worry about smoke inhalation came later when they realized he was still in the house.

Ethan was playing live online with a friend from out of town when his friend told him he could hear beeping coming from Ethan's end of the game. Ethan said he took off his headphones and that's when he could hear the smoke alarm going off.

Maybe I'm getting something wrong here, but if the smoke alarm is going off then you're supposed to hear it. Obviously Ethan couldn't because he had his headphones on, fine, but everybody else was sleeping through it?! What kind of weak-ass alarm did they have installed in that household lol.

adj_noun

Moral of the story: smoke alarms save lives. Check your batteries every once in a while and make sure you have one where you sleep.

Good job, kiddo.

I feel uncomfortable wearing headphones late at night for not being able to hear. Also why I don't like earplugs to sleep in loud places.

Imagine if the two friends were playing a Nintendo Wi-Fi connection game on Wii or Splatoon instead. How would that work out?

Fantomex

Moral of the story: smoke alarms save lives. Check your batteries every once in a while and make sure you have one where you sleep.

Have you ever been to a persons house whose Smoke Alarm is making that chirp that the battery is low and needs to be changed? Dude they don't even hear it anymore, I'm like yall don't hear that?

If the kid hadn't been playing video games he'd have caught the alarm going off earlier and the house could have been saved. Video games are trash.

Good job, kid. I'm glad you didn't panic and knew exactly what to do. Great job, kid's friend. It's good to be aware of what's going on around you.

Nightbird

Imagine if the two friends were playing a Nintendo Wi-Fi connection game on Wii or Splatoon instead. How would that work out?

C'mon!, C'mon!, C'mon!, C'mon!, C'mon!

For those who don't understand:
You can only communicate with C'mon and booyah in Splatoon

Props to that kid's friend, and the kid himself rounding up the family. Points off for forgetting his passed-out cousin, but I'm just glad everyone survived.

And for people saying the kid is stupid for not hearing the alarm.. wow. If you ever wore a pair of padded noise-canceling headphones and had the volume up, then you'd know that it's hard to hear anything outside your headphones. Kind of the point of them, really.

Top Bottom