• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5+ Million Console Sales, 1.5m+ PC Sales and still no chance of Days Gone getting a sequel

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If you bothered to read the comment chain you'd realize the discussion is about the two directors who left and you wouldn't need to ask stupid questions

You can't even seperate revenue (copies sold) from profit. I decided to let you off but you still want to make an ass of yourself

You've been an ass since u first quoted me, so dont start crying now.

U dont even aknoledge my point u just deflect and troll like some hurt school girl 😂

Sosokrates

That is how not it works.

30+40+50+60=180/4=45.

That is your average price for the game. At 5m copies, it sold $225m

Now takeout the store cut, which is 50/50 disc vs digital for playstation at my guess (last year it was 60/40). That is 2.5m copies physical. That is $112.5m. Take 30% cut from the store fees, and you get $78.750m profit from the disc and 112.5m from digital. total of $191.250m.

I can see why Sony think the game didnt make enough sales. It couldnt hit $300m sales. It recouped its cost, but it didnt hit the target they needed.

Thank you, somone with some sense.

I dont know if $45 is the average price seeing how quickly days gone price was reduced.

pxSaUU1.png

But apart from that I agree with everything you said here.

The main point is AAAs like days gone really need 8+ millions sales or the rrp to be higher for longer.

Last edited:
You've been an ass since u first quoted me, so dont start crying now.

U dont even aknoledge my point u just deflect and troll like some hurt school girl 😂

Acknowledge what? Your methodology was wrong and you can't even get profit and revenue right.

You know how to multiply two numbers together if that's what you mean. Yeah I can acknowledge that

A well-known troll shouldn't be whining about trolling

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Acknowledge what? Your methodology was wrong and you can't even get profit and revenue right.

You know how to multiply two numbers together if that's what you mean. Yeah I can acknowledge that

Yes but you can understand that the $30 amount I was talking about was the average amount sony receives from each copy sold.

If u did not understand that you are either brain dead or trolling.

DinoD

I adored Days Gone. Despite an average (sometimes borderline silly) story, I enjoyed it way more that both TLOU1 and TLOU2.

EDMIX

I'm ok no Days Gone 2 right now.

If they felt the team was problematic, they wouldn't give them the ok on a new IP that would likely cost more then a safe sequel.

Its more then likely Days Gone 2 is a no for now, not a no forever. Sony doesn't just let a team do a new IP while making it sound like they are making flops or something, I think it did well for what Sony wanted, but they likely also like what they've been working on as a new IP and for all we know they might dual IPs like you saw with Uncharted and The Last Of Us.

kingfey

Banned
Thank you, somone with some sense.

I dont know if $45 is the average price seeing how quickly days gone price was reduced.

pxSaUU1.png

But apart from that I agree with everything you said here.
The price drop starts at june 29 2020. November 3 2020 is when it goes below 30$.

The game was alive in the 1st year, where it sold alot of copies. So 45$ is the optimum price range. Even if we add the 20$, it would be 40$ range. Even at 10$ range, it would hit 35$, not 30$.

Allandor

Keeping in mind that Bend hadn't released a title since 2011's Golden Abyss and Days Gone was 2019, there was an 8 year gap between titles with numerous projects cancelled. And yet, despite the harsh criticisms and the comparisons to The Last of Us, Days Gone managed to sell over 5 million units on PlayStation 4 (confirmed by Zhuge) and a further 1.5 million copies on PC for a title of 6.5 million copies, as of those numbers in 2020.
The game was on PS+. Your numbers include those. As one of the developers once stated, don't think there will be a sequel because you bought the game for $5-10 on a sale or got it via PS+.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Just because a game sells well doesn't mean it needs, or should get, a sequel. Most sequels are lower quality than the original game. Are there exceptions to that? Sure. But that is how it plays out almost every time.

This game in particular didn't need a sequel in my opinion. I wish they would have wrapped the game up with a tidy little bow, but an open-ending ending isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the main goals the character had were accomplished. That's pretty finished.

kingfey

Banned
Just because a game sells well doesn't mean it needs, or should get, a sequel. Most sequels are lower quality than the original game. Are there exceptions to that? Sure. But that is how it plays out almost every time.

This game in particular didn't need a sequel in my opinion. I wish they would have wrapped the game up with a tidy little bow, but an open-ending ending isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the main goals the character had were accomplished. That's pretty finished.
Far cry 3 and 4, Splinter cell 2, MGS 2, halo 2 and 3.

Sequels can surpass the 1st game. It depends on whether the company is invested in or not.

Nah

Sequels for the most part are better than the originals. It's not an exception.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
You can’t green light every sequel a person makes thread about.

Days Gone was good, but they can achieve even better on next-gen hardware. plus, between this, TLOU 2, Dying Light, etc. I have…

Zombie Fatigue
You need a good story for a sequal. Days gone suffered from bland characters. Which didnt help the game at all.

Sony is strict on this. They want their games to be Hollywood type of story.

They can try them do something else. Maybe pick up one of the old IPs on Sony storage.

Sosokrates

It's radically different.

I told you from the start. Assuming 5 million copies at $30 on average amounts to less than half a mill sold at full price. Bad figure is bad.
No, i estimated 5 million copies would result in a revenue of $150 million

kingfey kingfey estimated a $191 million revenue after 5million sales.

And at the end of the day, these are estimates.

Plus your math is wrong $60 × 500,000 copies = $30 million.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That was not Sony. That was John Garvin, the former director/writer of Days Gone.

“I do have an opinion on something that your audience may find of interest, and it might piss some of them off,” Garvin replied. “If you love a game, buy it at fucking full price. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen gamers say ‘yeah, I got that on sale, I got it through PS Plus, whatever’.”

What a bizarre statement. How would I know I loved it enough to buy it at full price if I didn’t play it yet. All I can do is look at reviews / streams and your game got bad reviews.

EDMIX

Nah I'm with King and Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping with this one. Sequels for the most part are generally better as they have better tech, learn from issues from the first game, can be made on better hardware etc

I'm not going to get into some dumbass gatekeeping shit either of weird ass fanfiction shit of folks pretending they know more then the people that make those game lol

I'm talking about performance, features, engine, content etc. Things that can be fucking quantified. We have more sequels that are in better shape, then not and I'd argue the bad games are the exception, not the rule.

Sony is strict on this. They want their games to be Hollywood type of story.

I disagree, they simply want good stories. The way I see it, the story is bland and the gameplay is pretty bland too. The horde really is the only big thing thats in the game that is very unique. Lots of Sony published games have weird ass stories that I'd never fucking argue is um "hollywood type" as you need to even define what you mean by that before claiming Sony want this or that. If the story was shit and we all hated it and it moved 30 million, you'd see a sequel lol The story simply isn't the only thing wrong here and I think its irrelevant tbh on why we are not seeing a sequel back to back or something. It might be more on the reception, then on the story solely.

They can try them do something else. Maybe pick up one of the old IPs on Sony storage.

True, but they did say new IP, but I get what you mean. I'd love to see them pick back up Syphon Filter

Sosokrates

He’s talking profit not the sale price.
Yes

I meant
If a game is $40 at a store, the store keeps $10 and sony keep $30.
I said it profit, but technicaly it's not profit because all costs have not been calculated. But I thought people would of known what I meant.

How can we when we dont know the prices of which the game sold at....🤷

OR are u going to tell me u know the individual prices for 5 million copies sold 😆

Open a weighted average calculate on google, enter the $60 price and see how many copies sold out of 5 million you can have @ $30 on average

Not hard

Sosokrates

All you need is the number of copies sold and the average price per copy to calculate the upper limit of how many you can sell at $60

How are you going to get the average price of 5million when you dont have the price for each copy sold?

Last edited:

Aenima

Played it on PC... not a perfect game, but I actually enjoyed Days Gone. After the many negative reviews from the Playstation version, I thought it would be much worse.
Same. Played on PS4 but years after it launched and when the game got already a good amount of patches. My expectations was low but ended up enjoying the game alot. Even so i rather see them work in a new IP than a sequel for more Days Gone.

And dont the creator director of Days Gone already left Bend Studio?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That's too bad. The game had some pretty bad pacing issues, iffy story telling, and was too repetitive, but it had really good bones. It felt like the kind of first entry in a franchise in which a sequel could easily fix all of its issues and end up far, far better (think Assassin's Creed > Assassin's Creed 2).

Played it on PC... not a perfect game, but I actually enjoyed Days Gone. After the many negative reviews from the Playstation version, I thought it would be much worse.
I imagine this lukewarm reception to the game is exactly why they didn't greenlight a sequel.

Top Bottom