• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5+ Million Console Sales, 1.5m+ PC Sales and still no chance of Days Gone getting a sequel

It didn’t pan out well to critics and you don’t deserve a sequel. It’s damaged goods and no one wants to touch it for a sequel.
Except players liked the game, so it's silly to assume that no one would touch a sequel. Plus, they set up the story to have a sequel already

Griffon

This studio seems to have some good talents, it would be a shame if they got stuck making more zombie game sequels. I'm curious for what's next for them.

There's no way days gone was just a one off. There will be a sequel eventually. Nothing wrong with going for another ip first before coming back to days gone.

The criticisms it got from the vomit scented review corps would have steered it into piss anyways. The best things about Days Gone for me, the characters and writing, would have been gutted.

I'm comfortable with it being an underrated cult classic. We don't deserve such things here on Piss Earth.

If it sells less than Mario Kart it's probably not worth arguing for a sequel.

That being said I really like Days Gone and I would like a sequel please.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Except players liked the game, so it's silly to assume that no one would touch a sequel. Plus, they set up the story to have a sequel already
Some players liked the game. It didn't do all that well for a third person open world game for Sony's standard.

Only after did the announcement of it not getting a sequel, did people come out of the woodwork claiming it was their "favorite" game of the last generation. Before that, not a peep. I honestly think this is a case of people wanting to upset just because.

Bend is probably the next studio to be axed by Sony.

How do you figure that when it's already been stated that Days Gone has been very profitable?

2015, sure, I get it. Nothing since Golden Abyss and future doesn't look good.

But as Sony are probably aware, they got the fun gameplay spot on. It was just that stupid story of, is she dead? Or alive? Or dead? Or alive? And when that question is answered it starts to get really ridiculous.

EDMIX

Bend is probably the next studio to be axed by Sony.

Unlikely. They hate them so much they confirmed the game is profitable? They are so mad they allowed them to make a new IP which would fucking cost more money then a sequel?

Nahhhhh I'm not seeing anything like that here.

Calverz Calverz lol I don't disagree with you, but I don't think it will be with Sony Bend.

It will likely be with that new team making some new AAA FPS for Sony by some of the ex Infinity Ward developers.

Plus with all the money those titles are bringing in, they'd be stupid ass fuck not to lol They are correct to try their hand at something like that and see if they can get dat Twitch, Tik Tok, Fortnitez money lol

kingfey kingfey lol saying Hollywood a bunch doesn't really prove much and you again need to properly define what you are talking about. They want to have good stories, the fuck? Are they suppose to want to have bad stories?

So good like movies, are they suppose to aim to have worse? Think about what you are talking about.

What Sony is seeking with mo cap, voice acting, narrative, story etc might be GOTY winning in terms of a shit ton of awards, but its not in place of other game mechanics as I don't know what that has to do with the writers, artist etc, its also not exclusive to Sony as Sony isn't the only one with a mo cap studio. For a long time they paved the way for lots of that shit, now a mo cap studio is something almost every major publisher has a few of. So I don't really see that they are doing anything, anymore then the next team looking to make some narrative masterpiece with AAA gaming.

If Sony bought Remedy years ago, would you fucking argue Control is 3rd person with voice acting and a good story cause Sony?
If Sony bought Ninja Theory years ago, would you fucking argue Hellblade is 3rd person with voice acting, good story etc cause Sony?

So.....those teams are not owned by Sony, yet they have great stories, in 3rd person, great narratives, us mo cap, voice acting...do you not see that this is a staple thing in gaming in that genre and not really a Sony exclusive thing? So its up to you to define this whole point btw as I don't know 100% of what you mean by "hollywood" cause having a fucking 30 hour game with many bosses, puzzles, modes etc doesn't strike me as a movie or hollywood esk or something.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

Playing through Days Gone as we speak actually (PC).
I'm about 20 hours in and while it is pretty fun and I will definitely finish it, I'm not sure its the kind of game that I really want a sequel of. I would rather see them tackle something different compared to potentially getting something that might just be more of the same.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
maxresdefault.jpg
Sony understands gamers want more days gone, socom etc. but those games are 4th, 5th even 6th options for SONY.

fersnake

People need to start make it some sense, i've been hearing sony needs to stop making survival zombie games, bend studio sucks, to much 3rd person, stop making sequels etc etc etc please just stop.

I'll never understand how GAF cant let go of this mediocre game ...

Let Bend make a new, probably better game from a new IP
Was an interesting idea but the characters and story was pretty crap to be honest

the game has some fun bits but third person action adventure games are getting a little stale

If Sony are gonna continue down that road they need to make the games have a little fun

I liked the game but I'm not gonna complain about there not being yet another zombie game in the universe. Come on now.
Yeah, this.

I'm cool off Zombie games, open world or not. Most I could accept is Resident Evil at this point, and to a lesser extent, TLOU.

I could forgo TLOU3 to be frank.

After playing Days Gone and realising how much this is the open world version of a worse the last of us I can see why they wouldn't do a sequel. When I started ducking, doing melee combat, catching scrap and fighting infected I realized why this isn't needed in any way. Seriously... it's just too much for one publisher.

Last edited:

EDMIX

After playing Days Gone and realising how much this is the open world version of a worse the last of us I can see why they wouldn't do a sequel. When I started ducking, doing melee combat, catching scrap and fighting infected I realized why this isn't needed in any way. Seriously... it's just too much for one publisher.

I think hunting, ability to board up a house, camping etc would have added so much more to set it apart. Why have a open world if its not used? It just seems like it was used to go from mission to mission as suppose to really build out a world that you could live in between missions similar to Red Dead 2, I don't fault them though as it was a new IP and for all we know that is something they planned for a sequel or something.

Reactions: WoJ

WoJ

I'm a huge fan of Days Gone. The game left you with a sequel hook and was the type of game that would have benefited from learning from the mistakes of the first game and seeing what could be built upon.

A sequel could have knocked it out of the park with those refinements. I don't pre-order games, but I'd pre-order a Days Gone sequel to support it. In the PS2 era a game like this would have gotten a sequel to build on. That's what is so frustrating.

EDMIX

I'm a huge fan of Days Gone. The game left you with a sequel hook and was the type of game that would have benefited from learning from the mistakes of the first game and seeing what could be built upon.

A sequel could have knocked it out of the park with those refinements. I don't pre-order games, but I'd pre-order a Days Gone sequel to support it. In the PS2 era a game like this would have gotten a sequel to build on. That's what is so frustrating.

I don't really think its not getting a sequel, simply not now. I think they want to see how that new IP does and likely have the team grow and support both IP in the future or something. With Unreal Engine 5 going to be done soon, I think it made sense for them to do a new IP now and wait for Days Gone 2 later.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Nope.

"Metacritic score is everything"

- Days Gone director John Garvin
Then he shouldn't have released a glitched out, buggy game that crashed all the time and had a half assed story. IF it had been debugged and polished at launch it could have survived having a weak story. I had awful internet service when I bought it and had to wait a day for the patches to download. The game was fun enough that I tried very hard to play through the bugs and crashes. The potential was there from the start, but if he needed more time he should have put his foot down and told SONY to give it to him.

At least try to put in a modicum of effort if you're going to throw an average number around

5 million sales at 30$ on average would mean less than 500000 sales at full price

Just saying that your past few posts have made no sense.

You lecture me about calculating averages yet u cant even explain how one is calculated. And then you say my calculation is correct.
Such a troll.

This confused me initially too if I was being honest.

But ... what Whooping is saying is that if you assume 5 million sales were at $30 on average, it would mean that out of those 5 million sales, only 500,000 would be at the full $60 price. More would be lower than $30 obviously to give you the average of $30. He's not saying 5M at $30 is the same as 500k at $60.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony just has high standards. They want to make the next TLOU, the next GOW, the next Horizon. They did strike gold with Ghost of Tsushima in the same pursuit. And they want to repeat that success, which makes sense.

I enjoyed Days Gone (in fact, got one of my 17 platinum trophies in Days Gone), but I also realize that it wasn't a 10/10 game. It was a solid 8.5 though.

If it were another publisher, they'd like stick with that 8/10 game and milk it with sequels to make just enough profits to keep going. Sony wants mindshare and they can only do it with higher-quality 10/10 games and new IPs.

I respect that decision, and I'm looking forward to Bend's new IP. Hopefully, it will be bigger and better than Days Gone.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This confused me initially too if I was being honest.

But ... what Whooping is saying is that if you assume 5 million sales were at $30 on average, it would mean that out of those 5 million sales, only 500,000 would be at the full $60 price. More would be lower than $30 obviously to give you the average of $30. He's not saying 5M at $30 is the same as 500k at $60.

I said all along that £30 os the average return on each copy sold sony gets.
So at $60 rrp the retailer will get like $10

So if say 2million sold at full price with a $50 return to sony on each copy thats $100 million, say if 1million sold at rrp $40 thats $30 per copy return for sony thats $30million and if another million sold at $20 thats like $10 oer copy back to sony thats $10mill

The things is it does not matter if the average return per copy to sony is $25,30,35 etc etc my point stil stands that a game with a $150million+ budget needs to sell like 8 million at those average prices to have a decent profit.

I said all along that £30 os the average return on each copy sold sony gets.
So at $60 rrp the retailer will get like $10

So if say 2million sold at full price with a $50 return to sony on each copy thats $100 million, say if 1million sold at rrp $40 thats $30 per copy return for sony thats $30million and if another million sold at $20 thats like $10 oer copy back to sony thats $10mill

The things is it does not matter if the average return per copy to sony is $25,30,35 etc etc my point stil stands that a game with a $150million+ budget needs to sell like 8 million at those average prices to have a decent profit.

You also said this ...

Plus your math is wrong $60 × 500,000 copies = $30 million.

... which is what I was trying to explain to you.

To me the reason he mentioned the 500K figure was to show what your $30 on average actually meant. Do you think it selling 500K units at full price is realistic? If yes, then maybe your $30 is a decent estimate. If you don't think 500k is realistic, then the $30 average isn't either. That's all. And that's all I'm commenting on. I'm not getting dragged in to the rest of it.

Please structure your sentences a little better, it's difficult to read what you are saying.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No its very cringe
It is not cringe because there is an explanation to that scene, the chick also think that the joke is cringe and she jokes about that scene, she is not serious... have you played the game or you are just parroting shitty reviews like the one from gamespot?!

Last edited:

Sosokrates

You also said this ...

... which is what I was trying to explain to you.

To me the reason he mentioned the 500K figure was to show what your $30 on average actually meant. Do you think it selling 500K units at full price is realistic? If yes, then maybe your $30 is a decent estimate. If you don't think 500k is realistic, then the $30 average isn't either. That's all. And that's all I'm commenting on. I'm not getting dragged in to the rest of it.

Please structure your sentences a little better, it's difficult to read what you are saying.

I feel like im on another planet.

$60 × 500,000 = 30 million

I just explained why what Ive said does not insinuate 500,000 full price copies being sold in any shape or form.

I said 2 MILLION COPIES AT FULL PRICE WOULD RESULT IN $100 MILLION when you deduct the $10/copy retailer cut, thats no where near 500,000, ffs.

Please for the love of god explain to me where this 500,000 figure comes from.

Last edited:

Kabelly

First Sony first party to FINALLY add gyro/motion aim on a system that supports the feature. Only reason I bought it and I enjoyed the game immensely because of it.

I feel like im on another planet.

$60 × 500,000 = 30 million

I just explained why what Ive said does not insinuate 500,000 full price copies being sold in any shape or form.

I said 2 MILLION COPIES AT FULL PRICE WOULD RESULT IN $100 MILLION when you deduct the $10/copy retailer cut, thats no where near 500,000, ffs.

Please for the love of god explain to me where this 500,000 figure comes from.

Go back and read my initial post to you.

You estimated 5 million copies would result in a revenue of $150 million (avg of $30).
Whooping replied stating if you assume 5 million copies at $30 on average amounts to less than half a mill sold at full price.
You returned with your math is bad. You assumed he was saying 5M x $30 was equivalent to 500k * $60.

Correct?

I'm explaining to you that is not what he was saying. He said in order for 5M to be sold at an average of $30, based off his calculation of weighted averages, it meant of that 5M sales, 500K would be at full price of $60. You can argue about the 500k figure, I couldn't care less. But he was not saying 5M x $30 was equivalent to 500k * $60.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Go back and read my initial post to you.

You estimated 5 million copies would result in a revenue of $150 million (avg of $30).
Whooping replied stating if you assume 5 million copies at $30 on average amounts to less than half a mill sold at full price.
You returned with your math is bad. You assumed he was saying 5M x $30 was equivalent to 500k * $60.

Correct?

I'm explaining to you that is not what he was saying. He said in order for 5M to be sold at an average of $30, based off his calculation of weighted averages, it meant of that 5M sales, 500K would be at full price of $60. You can argue about the 500k figure, I couldn't care less. But he was not saying 5M x $30 was equivalent to 500k * $60.

You assumed he was saying 5M x $30 was equivalent to 500k * $60

I never assumed this, I dont even know where his 500k number came from it has nothing to do with what ive been saying.

Gargauth

5M is not enough for Jim Ryan. He said he wants God of War 200millions or something. The guy has completely different expectations. Will he achieve them? Doubt that. Maybe other games like Horizon, God of War and other will end up on chopping block too, once Jim realizes they cannot get 200M sales.

Top Bottom