• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5+ Million Console Sales, 1.5m+ PC Sales and still no chance of Days Gone getting a sequel

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The fuck are you talking about now?

Just saying that your past few posts have made no sense.

You lecture me about calculating averages yet u cant even explain how one is calculated. And then you say my calculation is correct.
Such a troll.

Last edited:

Markio128

GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

AmuroChan

Sony did themselves no favor by sending out review copies without the patch. Many of the technical issues cited by reviews were mitigated by the day 1 patch.

Gamerguy84

GT definitely has its hardcore and faithful.

However this one is going to surge again in popularity and bring in some new crowd.

Days Gone was not just a beautiful game but one I just enjoyed riding around and existing in. Biking around in between horde cullings was just simply fun. Even the sound was great. Shit happens, I get it, and honestly maybe not everything we enjoy needs a sequel, but damn in my heart I want it sooo bad. Hopefully whatever gets cooked up next as some of that DNA in it.

Gamerguy84

Days Gone was not just a beautiful game but one I just enjoyed riding around and existing in. Biking around in between horde cullings was just simply fun. Even the sound was great. Shit happens, I get it, and honestly maybe not everything we enjoy needs a sequel, but damn in my heart I want it sooo bad. Hopefully whatever gets cooked up next as some of that DNA in it.
Yea I agree. I didn't fast travel one time in this game.

MadPanda

Banned
If a publisher makes on average of $30 per game sold and these AAA games cost $150+ million to make, they need 5million sales just to break even.

Sony is probably looking for at 10 million sales for ita big AAA's

you surely don't need 150m to make a game out of Oregon.

I've enjoyed it a lot and I'd like to play a sequel. It wasn't a groundbreaking game but so weren't got and hzd. it was obvious Rony wasn't happy with its success when they didn't report sales number in the beginning.

Lupin25

You need a good story for a sequal. Days gone suffered from bland characters. Which didnt help the game at all.

Sony is strict on this. They want their games to be Hollywood type of story.

They can try them do something else. Maybe pick up one of the old IPs on Sony storage.

Sony Bend has a lot of potential working on AAA projects; I think Sony may believe they’re possibly a game from crafting a true masterpiece.

As far as being strict, YES Sony demands high production values, but not every game has to be delivered on the scale of “Uncharted 4” or “TLOU2”.

Look at Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart or Returnal from just this past year.

Both are filled with high-octane gameplay, with the traditional narrative taking more of a backseat to environmental storytelling (Returnal).

But a new experience is always welcomed and Sony seems to be trying to strike a balance between developing new IP, while retaining old IP by:

• Outsourcing/Funding projects from 3rd-party developers (or 2nd-party games).
• Acquiring those who specialize in remakes/remasters.
• Rebooting old or longstanding franchises with a forward-thinking perspective (ie: God of War 2018).

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
Why does it need a sequel? Did it end on some cliffhanger that needed wrapped up? If you enjoyed the game, play it again. Or maybe whatever they do next will have similar mechanics or be different and better

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It

I've enjoyed it a lot and I'd like to play a sequel. It wasn't a groundbreaking game but so weren't got and hzd. it was obvious Rony wasn't happy with its success when they didn't report sales number in the beginning.
It Will be in that region, a dev team of 130 over 6 yrs, office rent + expenses (food, cleaning,electric etc) Unreal engine fee, other tech expenses, voice actors, motion cap, marketing, out sourcing etc etc

yurinka

They wanted to make the sequel using UE5 and when started to make the new Bend project Sony had many sequels in the works, so I think it's smarter for them to make now a new IP and after it a Days Gone sequel.

bitbydeath

Just saying that your past few posts have made no sense.

You lecture me about calculating averages yet u cant even explain how one is calculated. And then you say my calculation is correct.
Such a troll.
Keep in mind your using the cheapest US prices as well, most other countries are much more expensive making it difficult to calculate. Eg. Australia it sold for $100 which converts to roughly $72 USD.

You’d probably need to add anywhere between 10-30% to get close to the real number.

But Sony also spends absolutely crazy amounts of money for marketing their AAA games. 150m could be realistic together with marketing.

John Bilbo

This is what a good publisher does. They know when to X on something that isn’t working and giving their devs the resources and freedom to try something new. Thats how we got Tsushima and Horizon

That's great news, even if the new project is not a sequel to Days Gone. I hope they include and improve the horde mechanic in the new project in some way.

GeT ThE FuCkInG GaMe DaY1 !!!!!!!!!
Fred Armisen Do Not Want GIF by Gunpowder & Sky
... and a new fetish was born!

Skifi28

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't think it really needs a sequel, not everything does. I'm glad they're doing something new with all the experience they've gained.

MrTentakel

Old man yelling at the clouds:

I miss the old times with story expansions based on the same tech/mechanics as the base game released for cheap within a year of the original game.
But hell no, to continue the game you need to develop everything from scratch, spend 100.000.000 and release a buggy mess 4 years later...

GeorgPrime

Banned
Why does it need a sequel? Did it end on some cliffhanger that needed wrapped up? If you enjoyed the game, play it again. Or maybe whatever they do next will have similar mechanics or be different and better

There was a huge cliffhanger at the end. :)

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Loved it, the bike riding mechanics where top notch, the world was incredibly detailed and felt alive and seemless and it's such a shame we'll never get to see what a sequel on PS5 could've been like, huge hordes even though the originals where already massive and a bigger more detailed open world... FECKING shame

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't think it really needs a sequel, not everything does. I'm glad they're doing something new with all the experience they've gained.
I think a Horde only Spinoff would be great, maybe even in the style of Shadow of the Colossus. The rest of the game was let's just say average, but the Hordes were great fun.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Let's have a new game that they're making first, if it flops then we can whine as much as we like. And 6-7 million with hard discounts and so isn't much if the budget of the game exceeded $200+ million.

Arioco

Let's have a new game that they're making first, if it flops then we can whine as much as we like. And 6-7 million with hard discounts and so isn't much if the budget of the game exceeded $200+ million.

Sony Bend is a small studio compared to ND or Insomniac. They didn't even have to create their own technology or engine from the ground, they used UE4 instead to make the game, like many indie devs do. It's an AAA game no doubt, but I'm sure the budget was far from $200+ million, which is what you would expect from God of War or TLOU.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It doesn’t deserve a sequel. It was a game better than sum of all of its bad parts but pretty mediocre otherwise

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony Bend is a small studio compared to ND or Insomniac. They didn't even have to create their own technology or engine from the ground, they used UE4 instead to make the game, like many indie devs do. It's an AAA game no doubt, but I'm sure the budget was far from $200+ million, which is what you would expect from God of War or TLOU.

200 milion + ? horizon budget was 45 milion +

That what I've understood from Jaffe's interview with that Days Gone dev.

Top Bottom