• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Indianapolis 500 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-444aha.gif

I was hoping Sato would win. That was very ballsy of him. They must have lowered the downforce a few yellows back because earlier he was having a hard time keeping up with the rest of the pack.. fell down to 6th was it? Finally get's fixed up and then goes for some killer passes.

This was my afternoon.

Laps 1-199: "Don't do anything hasty, Sato."

Lap 200: *cries*

Congrats to Dario, who's a talented guy and all ... but I would have loved to see not-Ganassi and not-Penske win.

Going to spend the 3 hour drive home crying. :( Being a Sato fan sucks sometimes.

Talamius

Sato had the best car the entire 2nd half of the race and simply threw it away. Even if he sticks the pass, Dario blows back by coming to the line. If he waits until going into 3 or coming off 4 Sato wins it easy. Self inflicted the whole way.

thefro

6th non-American winner in a row.

Previous record was 5 in a row (1999-2003 and obviously 2007-2011).

There's a really good crop of young Americans coming up, so this won't last much longer.

Just going to take a few years for the changes that IndyCar made to the feeder system to take effect.

Chris R

Sato had the best car the entire 2nd half of the race and simply threw it away. Even if he sticks the pass, Dario blows back by coming to the line. If he waits until going into 3 or coming off 4 Sato wins it easy. Self inflicted the whole way.
Pretty much. No idea what he was thinking. Did he not see the passing back and forth that happened on the front straight?

Pretty much. No idea what he was thinking. Did he not see the passing back and forth that happened on the front straight?

Most of the time, Dario wasn't catching Dixon until the front stretch. I assume he thought he could make the move, maybe completing in two, and keep Dario off him long enough to stop his run off four.

Gonna be a heavy drinking night at the NihonTiger house. *sigh* Some day he will win.

EDIT: Radio is Rickrolling me now. Feels appropriate enough.

Parch

Tough loss for Sato, but it's always been team Ganassi + team Penske vs the rest of the underdogs. Cheering for those underdogs is the best thing about IndyCar because they really do have a chance.

Sato said as much in his interview just then. I'd need to see it again from more angles to be sure. Totally avoidable though.

Well, it seemed odd that Dario was right on his balls but as Sato was slipping he left that tight racing line he had. It's like he knew what he was doing...
My friend was right there on turn one said he blocked him.

IZOD won't go against the grain. They never do anything against Franchitti.

HoTHiTTeR

Not gonna lie, looked like Dario forced him onto that white line.

I watched the last 30 laps from the ESPN3 on-board cam - he held his line, didn't do anything that should taint the win. Racing is risk/reward - if that was Sato's chance and he took it, good for him.

Parch

Yeah, Franchitti held his race line and doesn't have to give it up. Even if there is appeal I can't see the result being reversed.

It was good, hard racing. Sato took the risk and lost.

Zaphod

What a race. I was so rooting for Sato!. I'm glad he went out trying to win the whole thing though, its way more entertaining than being satisfied with second. He probably should have waited to trying on turn three though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom