• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Indianapolis 500 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
pyz6t.jpg

So Sunday marks the 96th running of the Indianapolis 500, one of three major racing events happening the same day back-to-back-to-back (preceded by the Monaco Grand Prix and followed by NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600). It is the largest event of the year for the Indycar series, and still the largest motorsports event by attendance in the world, with nearly 400,000 people packing the stands yearly.

Rubens-Barrichello-at-practice.jpg

Rubens Barrichello practicing at Indy in the new DW12 oval body

This year brings us the first field since 2003 that the entire field is on the same model-year chassis, in part due to the introduction of the DW12. Designed by Dallara, the new car has been criticized by some as looking like a spaceship or "odd," but is intended to be more cost-friendly as well as safer, namely to keep cars on the ground. Also new is the introduction of 2.2-liter turbocharged engines from three different suppliers (okay, two real suppliers in Honda and Chevy and then Lotus/Judd's "engine"), and Indianapolis is the first time these cars are racing on an oval.

It also, sadly, marks the first time since 1946 that the defending champion will not be back to defend his title due to a racing fatality.

Track info:

2.5-mile (4.023-km) rectangular oval track
Turns: 4
Banking in turns: 9-12 degreed
Banking on straights: 0 degrees
Lap record: 0:00:37.895; 237.498 mph (Arie Luyendyk, Treadway Racing, 1996, IRL IndyCar Series)
Capacity: 400,000

Start Time?

Just after Noon EST Sunday, May 27.

Where to watch?

USA: ABC
Canada: TSN
UK: Sky Sports
Brazil: Band TV
Australia: SPEED

Forecast?

Miserable:

buD0a.jpg

This is not going to be fun.

Starting Grid: http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/eventinfo/51728/

Weekend Schedule: http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/indy500/schedule/

Quick FAQ for the questions everyone's going to ask:

Are there any F1 drivers participating?

Yes, sort of. Rubens Barrichello is racing full-time in the series this year; Sebastien Bourdais, Justin Wilson and Takuma Sato (all ex-F1) are also full-time series drivers, and Jean Alesi is going to be this year's honorary moving chicane.

It's not that big of a place, is it?

zQ5Cg.jpg

Yes. Yes, it is big.

Will any GAFfers be there?

Yes. Dave Long and I are both going to be in attendance. Dave will be in Turn 1 and I'll be on the front stretch. I'm taking my parents this year to fulfill a promise I made to them when I was younger.

Preview from the fine folks at Radio Le Mans: http://audio.rpix.org.uk/indy/2012/2012_indy_500_pre.mp3

Chris R

Trying to decide where I should go to watch this if anywhere as I don't get ABC in HD at my place. Know a few sports bars that do a breakfast, but I don't know if they are open at 8AM now since it isn't a NFL weekend. Might try my antenna out again if it comes down to it.

Just hope someone other than Power wins it :p 3 in a row is enough. Would also be nice to see the Honda engines perform well, as they didn't qualify that well.

Adam J.

Lived in Indy my whole life and have never been, or seen it on TV for that matter (they dont broadcast it live here).

Yes. Dave Long and I are both going to be in attendance. Dave will be in Turn 1 and I'll be on the front stretch. I'm taking my parents this year to fulfill a promise I made to them when I was younger.

Where at on turn 1? In the shade? You Indy-Gaf? I live in Speedway. I would attend this year but I work early morning the day after (I got memorial day shift this year..better than Christmas). =/ I'll watch it though.

Where at on turn 1? In the shade? You Indy-Gaf? I live in Speedway. I would attend this year but I work early morning the day after (I got memorial day shift this year..better than Christmas). =/ I'll watch it though.

Not sure where Dave will be, but I'm in the paddock stand on the front stretch just before the row of bricks.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm not really a racing fan, but I enjoy being at the track. I was out there last Wednesday to shmooze with some of our company's bank reps. I was planning to go to Carb Day, but work has been hell these week and I won't be able to take the day off. Good luck beating the heat this weekend.

Will any GAFfers be there?

Hope you guys have fun in my fair city! Bring a boatload of water, though. It's gonna be fucking scorching ugh...

I never go to the 500 because I'm not really into racing, but I've been to the track for trials and it was fun enough. All the riders are tiny lol.

Not sure where Dave will be, but I'm in the paddock stand on the front stretch just before the row of bricks.

Nice.

Turn 1 is by far the best. I always get the "corner" Get a shot of turn 2 from where you're at and the full home stretch.... shade is fantastic too. (MotoGP was a blast there, so many accidents at those tight turns)

Anyway. I'm bummed I'm "missing" it this year. I wanted to go and see the new machines in person but alas, work has made it difficult.

Hope you have fun.

Oh, and every day to (and from) work I drive past 16th street (which goes in front of IMS) or down Main St. passing both Dallara and Charlie Brown's in the morning. That's how close I am to the track. To hear them practicing I just turn down the TV at home. It's awesome.

Nice.

Turn 1 is by far the best. I always get the "corner" Get a shot of turn 2 from where you're at and the full home stretch.... shade is fantastic too. (MotoGP was a blast there, so many accidents at those tight turns)

Anyway. I'm bummed I'm "missing" it this year. I wanted to go and see the new machines in person but alas, work has made it difficult.

Hope you have fun.

Oh, and every day to (and from) work I drive past 16th street (which goes in front of IMS) or down Main St. passing both Dallara and Charlie Brown's in the morning. That's how close I am to the track. To hear them practicing I just turn down the TV at home. It's awesome.

Yeah, should be fun. I love about 3 hours away in Ohio, so it'll be a short drive for me down there Saturday.

Yeah, should be fun. I love about 3 hours away in Ohio, so it'll be a short drive for me down there Saturday.

Not a bad drive. Takes me literally 5 minuets =P. But yeah... so jelly of my friend... he got a bronze pass and he's been enjoying himself past week and a half. =/

Grape jelly as hell.

I'm excited for the new era of oval racing to begin.

They've been so drafty in practice. I'm really interested in how it'll all work. Pack drafts? Recovery time for re-pass? How much space is needed to break free? So many questions. I think it's going to be quite a bit more racy than we've seen recently.

Side note- bummed to hear Jim Nabors won't be there in person, but rather is doing a pre-recorded video of Back Home Again in Indiana. I'm actually thankful that he's still with us to take part in any way that he can.

Wanace

Love the 500. Been probably about 8 or 9 times in my life, last time was in a suite with my dad who works with an Indy-based company who always brings their customers. Free booze and food all day.

I got to ride around the track in a parade lap in the back seat of a pickup truck. In the bed were some soldiers.

One of the most awesome moments of my life.

In China now so I can't watch, but I'd love to go again.

Dave Long

Banned
Hey! Nice thread!

I'm leaving tonight around 7-ish. I live in Reading, PA so it's about a 10.5 hour drive for me. This is the first year I'm taking all my boys (14, 12 and soon 11) to the race along with my girlfriend who has never attended. It's her first, my seventh (in a row), my oldest's third and the second for the other two boys. My brother is attending his eighth and is at Carb Day right this second.

My seats are split this year. Brother and two boys will be in SW Vista, Section 4 IIRC. My seats are in South Vista, Section 1, Row HH or something like that. I'm basically at the exit of one onto the short chute. My brother and the other two boys will be in the middle of one closer to pit out. It looks like I'll have a good view of both turns and a little of the back straight, too.

Indy is the race for me. I attend a lot of races in a year, mostly sprint cars and dirt tracks locally, but usually one trip up north for Supermodifieds in New England if possible. I'll also be at Milwaukee in a few weeks. Father's Day gift for my Dad.

In addition to the 500, I'll be at the Little 500 in Anderson, IN tomorrow night. There's a possibility we'll head north to Kokomo on Sunday night for sprinters at 7:15 on the bullring up there. Driving back to PA on Monday with a Memorial Day stop at the USAF Museum in Dayton if possible.

Also, the reason we're driving overnight is so we can see the Parade tomorrow! I love the parade. :)

EDIT: I'll try to post some pictures from the weekend here in the thread.

DoomGyver

Can't go this year because my nephew is graduating high school in Ohio, but I still have to fight the traffic Sunday when I drive through Indy. bleh

Hey! Nice thread!

I'm leaving tonight around 7-ish. I live in Reading, PA so it's about a 10.5 hour drive for me. This is the first year I'm taking all my boys (14, 12 and soon 11) to the race along with my girlfriend who has never attended. It's her first, my seventh (in a row), my oldest's third and the second for the other two boys. My brother is attending his eighth and is at Carb Day right this second.

My seats are split this year. Brother and two boys will be in SW Vista, Section 4 IIRC. My seats are in South Vista, Section 1, Row HH or something like that. I'm basically at the exit of one onto the short chute. My brother and the other two boys will be in the middle of one closer to pit out. It looks like I'll have a good view of both turns and a little of the back straight, too.

Indy is the race for me. I attend a lot of races in a year, mostly sprint cars and dirt tracks locally, but usually one trip up north for Supermodifieds in New England if possible. I'll also be at Milwaukee in a few weeks. Father's Day gift for my Dad.

In addition to the 500, I'll be at the Little 500 in Anderson, IN tomorrow night. There's a possibility we'll head north to Kokomo on Sunday night for sprinters at 7:15 on the bullring up there. Driving back to PA on Monday with a Memorial Day stop at the USAF Museum in Dayton if possible.

Also, the reason we're driving overnight is so we can see the Parade tomorrow! I love the parade. :)

EDIT: I'll try to post some pictures from the weekend here in the thread.

Awesome :) I'm in the Paddock Seats, Section 32. Going with the folks this year and I'll probably be going back next year, too. Should be posting some photos in the thread as well, since I'll have my camera with me.

And that sucks to hear about Jim Nabors, but in the meanwhile, if you want to get in the mood, just listen to this as many times as you need to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ54AUmYTl0

thefro

Lived in Indy my whole life and have never been, or seen it on TV for that matter (they dont broadcast it live here).

You have to go at least once just to see so many people in one place. Also the cars are crazy loud with 33 of them.

I'm lucky enough that I live far south enough to get Louisville TV stations, so I've always watched the race live on TV when I don't go.

Dave Long

Banned
On the road. Just about to stop for gas in Washington, PA. Soon time for the slog across Ohio. Kids passed out. Sirius to keep us company. Cannot wait to get Back Home Again!

Dave Long

Banned
Brian Tyler won the Little 500 in Anderson, IN tonight. Everything kind of fell his way. Everyone else made mistakes that cost them the race. Still, Tyler is deserving and a good driver who never really got a chance to do more.

Finally passing out. Up in like five hours to get ready to head into the Speedway. Cannot wait!

thefro

All the speculation is that it should be an excellent race with how well the new cars draft, but we'll see if the insane heat today screws that up.

Watching the F1 now, how long until the race starts?

About 2 hours 15 minutes... the prerace show in the US starts in about another 1hr 15 minutes.

Dead Man

2 hours 15 minutes until it starts.

LOL, Alesi's car is even getting passed being towed to the pit box.

All the speculation is that it should be an excellent race with how well the new cars draft, but we'll see if the insane heat today screws that up.

About 2 hours 15 minutes... the prerace show in the US starts in about another 1hr 15 minutes.

Cool, don't know if I'll be able to stay awake for the whole thing, but hopefully will catch some of it.

Since there are a few tickets left for the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix next week, I know what to know if it's worth attending

TylerD

Edmond Dantès;38246353 said:
Monaco done, Indy next. Bliss.

The one time a year the Motorsport world watches Indy Car. Can't wait to see how the new car get around the oval during a race. Pretty cool that it's the first oval of the season.

RaceGAF, I'll be on the front stretch before start/finish in a dark green cap. Wish I had a GAF flag to hold ...

Almost go time here. Excited!!

Seda

Watching this, this is the first Indy 500 I've watched in a looong time. I have no idea who any of the drivers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom