• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Silk: Spider Society” Scraps Writers Room, being re-written for Men

bitbydeath

Sony seeing the light, hopefully other studios will soon follow, Madame Web was the last straw it seems.

I wonder if the response to Stella Blade is also impacting their view on things.

Offering some synchronicity with the release of “Madame Web” in cinemas this weekend, a new report at The Ankler has broken some news regarding the planned “Silk: Spider Society” series.
The new report indicates the series will undergo a complete developmental overhaul and has let go of nearly its entire writers room. The report indicates the creative refocus will shift the series towards more of a male-skewing audience.
The series will focus on Cindy Moon, a Korean-American woman bitten by the same spider that got Peter Parker. The action will follow Cindy as she “escapes imprisonment and searches for her missing family on her way to becoming the superhero known as Silk”.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I misread the title and thought they were gender swapping cindy moon...
Silk is a pretty cool character and there was a small period of time when she was more popular than ghost spider, ofc into the spider-verse made her blow up in popularity.
I wonder what "written for men" means though, because in the end these characters do exist to capture a bit of female fandom, so I wouldn't want them to rewrite her into some bad ass that is male in all but appearance...
Perhaps they mean "written for normal people" and cutting out all the overt feminist nonsense.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Sony seeing the light, hopefully other studios will soon follow, Madame Web was the last straw it seems.

I wonder if the response to Stella Blade is also impacting their view on things.

I have no faith whatsoever in these "turnarounds". Even if they try to skew the series for a male audience, these Sony shows are produced for Amazon Prime Video where they enforce absolutely ridiculous DEIA guide lines that push production companies to hire on identity/ethnicity/etc instead on skills.

In the video below you have an actual screen writer/producer discussing why DEIA kills creativity and will lead to the ruin of proper story telling.

Last edited:
Probably a good idea. Don't know much about Madame Web, but it looks...not great. I'd say that we've had so many great examples of strong, bad ass female character throughout the 80's/90's/2000's.

This deluge of "strong female character" tropes these days seem less about empowering women and more about denigrating men. Which I feel is a major part of the problem.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sony seeing the light?

images

Probably means the script was disastrous and now they are trying to level it down to just bad.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The new report indicates the series will undergo a complete developmental overhaul and has let go of nearly its entire writers room. The report indicates the creative refocus will shift the series towards more of a male-skewing audience.

Maybe they should stop trying to micro-manage their shitty identity politics forward style put forth by out of touch executives and instead try to shift the series toward more of a "people who like stories that make fucking sense with likeable characters regardless of whom they are"-skewing audience.

Neon Xenon

I wanted to see more about this report from the source, and there's some choice quotes.

The hotly anticipated Silk: Spider Society has let go of its entire writers room, minus its showrunner and one of the co-executive producers, as the show gets a developmental overhaul, a source close to the show tells The Ankler.
One source close to the series claims that Silk was being refocused with a more male-skewing audience in mind. Amazon had no comment.

I think it's little early to get excited about what this. We don't know what "being refocused with a more male-skewing audience" really means. It's easy to read this report as "the writing isn't going to be shit now", but if there's anything that's really certain about the past few years of entertainment (especially out of Hollywood), it's that there's a tendency to overcorrect things they see as problems. So this "refocus" could make the show bad in a different way. If there's a genuine effort to improve upon Silk: Spider Society, I'll believe it when if I see it.

Last edited:
Sony, if you want to pander to what audiences want, the very first step is to get rid of Avi Arad and his crew.

You know what you have to do but you don't have the conviction to do it.

Atrus

Gold Member
I don’t know how someone holds the licence to the Spider-Man universe and then decides to make films based on Madame Web, Silk, Morbius and Kraven the Hunter before Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, and Scarlet Spider.

I’m not sure what is going.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I don’t know how someone holds the licence to the Spider-Man universe and then decides to make films based on Madame Web, Silk, Morbius and Kraven the Hunter before Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, and Scarlet Spider.

I’m not sure what is going.

Bernie Sanders Diversity GIF by Democratic National Convention

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like movie studios are finally catching on if you make to many female oriented comic tv shows or movies it’ll peter out out big time (no pun intended).

I think what happened was Wonder Woman and Scarlett Johanson in Avengers movies really amped up the image and sales for those movies so execs and writers thought they could keep it going with female centric stories. It’ll kill two birds with one stone for maximizing sales. You get the male superhero fans amped up on ogling female heroes and then get all the female movie goers to buy tix because they prefer seeing a female lead or plot.

Doom85

They literally have multiple, fantastic, movies.

Well, I assume they meant as the main protagonist, so Gwen doesn’t.

After Amazing Spider-man 2 released, Emma Stone flat out said in an interview that if Sony called her to play Spider-Gwen, she’d be instantly on board, and yet nothing.

I mean, I’m not mad. It’s not like Emma is my personal biggest celebrity crush or anything…..

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

SPT, Sony Pictures Television, (arguably the good half of Sony Pictures) haven't released anything Spider-Man related yet (not counting the animated Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon series --which was the last great Spider-Man show in my opinion), despite having projects in development for a LOOOOOONG time. Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Into the Spider-verse) were signed on to a 5 year deal to help produce/develop these projects for SPT since 2019: https://deadline.com/2019/04/phil-l...-tv-spider-man-universe-tv-series-1202603847/

We're about to pass the 5 year mark, and yet, no releases...

Silk is the first known project from this deal (Spider-Man Noir TV is also supposedly happening), with a show runner attached to it, and Amazon set to air the program, but filming seemed to constantly get pushed back. Interesting to hear it's getting even further pushed back now, with the project basically getting rebooted from scratch by the sounds of it. I've been anticipating these developments for a long time, but I'm willing to let them take even longer if needed. Make them good. The Sony movies are disastrous, and are doing no good for the brand.

I'm eh about Cindy Moon, but I was eh about Miles Morales too. Into the Spider-Verse was by far Miles' most inspired and influential feature (though I honestly still hate that there is a hundred different Spider-Men/Women, and multiverses, and all that crap.) Hopefully SPT pulls off a surprise with this show. I'd also take Cindy over Gwen any day of the week. The Ghost Spider should've stayed a ghost.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Well, I assume they meant as the main protagonist, so Gwen doesn’t.

After Amazing Spider-man 2 released, Emma Stone flat out said in an interview that if Sony called her to play Spider-Gwen, she’d be instantly on board, and yet nothing.

I mean, I’m not mad. It’s not like Emma is my personal biggest celebrity crush or anything…..

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF
Ghost spider is def also a protagonist in the second movie though, and will probably continue to be in the third movie.
The point was more that these characters have in fact been used in outstanding productions before madame web or kraven or silk; I also didn't understand why it's a problem to do silk now if ghost spider worked out fine, silk was first, popular enough and she's not "an alternate" universe spider-person even, somehow gwen is ok but cindy isn't? 🤷‍♂️

Emma stone as ghost spider could work, but she's probably "too old" now to come back as gwen.

Doom85

Emma stone as ghost spider could work, but she's probably "too old" now to come back as gwen.

Well, since people have familiarity with the character thanks to the Spider-verse movies, Emma could just play Spider-Gwen in her 30’s and see how the character is handling adulthood. That‘s one of the many things I love about the Spider-verse films: getting to see Peter Parker well into adulthood and not just high school/college forever like the movies had been limited to up to that point.

Last edited:

K' Dash

is it true that Dakota fired her Agency because they mislead her making her think she would be part of the MCU with this movie? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StueyDuck

This might be crazy guys... do stop me if I'm crossing the line...

But what if...

Instead of making Movies with the idea of segregating the market, we just make Movies for everyone.

I believe back in the long long ago we called them good Movies. Why don't we just make more of those.

I dunno, maybe I've strayed too far here.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Won't change anything. The diversity writers won't suddently become talented just because the target audience is different.

They fired the writers they already had and are hiring new people.

What do you mean "diversity writers"? Is that like "diversity hire"?

Goalus

What do you mean "diversity writers"? Is that like "diversity hire"?
Not exactly. Diversity hires are people whose most prominent qualifications are them being diverse. Diversity writers are people who write plots and characters that make sure that everyone in the audience can feel safe and welcome. As a male feminist, I approve of the latter, and hence my suggestion to hire Brie Larson and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Not exactly. Diversity hires are people whose most prominent qualifications are them being diverse. Diversity writers are people who write plots and characters that make sure that everyone in the audience can feel safe and welcome. As a male feminist, I approve of the latter, and hence my suggestion to hire Brie Larson and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

I prefer blind casting... Unless the character is specifically written to be culturally black (non-african) or a WASP, then any actor can play any part. I'm all for diversity on screen and behind the screen... They just have to be qualified. Denzel can play The Equalizer... Viggo Mortensen can play a retired basketball star... Steven Yuen can play a superhero...

But T'Challa is black
Bruce Wayne is white
The Avatar is Thai inspired

Carl Weathers' character in Predator could have been any race but they needed a cool guy with muscles to play opposite Arnold. Not too many in Hollywood could do that.

The writers just have to be actually competent at story telling and dialogue writing. Not this crap like Madame Web where they don't have ONE IOTA of familiarity about the source material.

Funny how no one is saying this failed because of Comic book movie fatigue... It's just objectively a bad movie.

Tams

This might be crazy guys... do stop me if I'm crossing the line...

But what if...

Instead of making Movies with the idea of segregating the market, we just make Movies for everyone.

I believe back in the long long ago we called them good Movies. Why don't we just make more of those.

I dunno, maybe I've strayed too far here.

No, no, no! Can't you see that will just be full of ingrained misogyny?!?!??!

But seriously, there are still plenty of feminists, etc. who have careers out of finding faults with old media. It's all rather tiring.

wipeout364

If they are going to make weak movies maybe they should consider having these B or C tier characters first appearing in a main Spider-Man movie instead of dropping them cold on the cineplex.

And no I don’t mean in cartoon form like into the spider verse unless they are going to make an animated feature.

bitbydeath

Disney is also said/rumoured to be pivoting after Marvels.

“More appealing movies are a great way to jump the political issues. But more and more, our audience (or the segment of the audience that has been politicized) equates the perceived messaging in a film as a quality issue.

They won’t say they find female empowerment distasteful in The Marvels or Star Wars, but they will say they don’t like those movies because they are ‘bad.’ So ‘make better movies’ becomes code for ‘make movies that conform to regressive gender stereotypes or put men front and center in the narrative.’ Which is what you’re seeing now and what Bob [Iger]’s pivot is about right now.”

They’re clearly not understanding what is wrong if that is their takeaway but ah well, whatever leads to better content.

Top Bottom