• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“It's time to give fans something that can only be enjoyed on PlayStation 5”

People are trying to make this decision by Microsoft seem like a blunder, and its not. Not all games for the Series X will follow suit, as I'm sure it's a first party decision, where third parties can opt not to.

Besides, won't next gen games take 2 years minimum, 4 to 5 years top? I can understand if that's a choice don't like, but I have a hard time believing Microsoft's decision to make there games cross platform compatible for the next 2 years as detrimental as the Kinect blunder.

Well third party games are almost always going to go multiplatform anyway, as they are not looking to lose the money from huge install bases. Its up to 1st parties to make next gen console exclusives to demonstrate why people should invest in their new system. Microsoft is forfeiting that incentive, but maybe they plan to make it up by selling the series x at a loss and undercutting PS5.

You are right that it is not as detrimental as the Kinect blunder. Most people are not going to be paying attention to how specific game development is targeting hardware, just nerds like us.

Well third party games are almost always going to go multiplatform anyway, as they are not looking to lose the money from huge install bases. Its up to 1st parties to make next gen console exclusives to demonstrate why people should invest in their new system. Microsoft is forfeiting that incentive, but maybe they plan to make it up by selling the series x at a loss and undercutting PS5.

You are right that it is not as detrimental as the Kinect blunder. Most people are not going to be paying attention to how specific game development is targeting hardware, just nerds like us.
Yes you're right, nerds like us are the early adopters. I'm not even getting the PS5 initially for what we saw in the UE5, instead it's the fast loading, the new controller, and the ability to enhance all of the first party hitters like GOW, Spiderman, and HZD. PS5 will get games of that caliber over time.

Frederic

Banned
What? I'm not trolling, I'm just veery excited about PS5, I wrote a meaningful post right after the nonsense one. Cheers for making the thread.

edit - misunderstood your post, I'm just beyond excited and spouting nonsense.

please be excited. Hopefully they will show us something some day. Maybe next year or so.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Imagine a PS5 game that could run on the PS4 but at a lower framerate/resolution but isn't released for the older console purely for marketing reasons. Is that still 'all you want'?

That sounds a little anti-consumer to me.
If you stretch it real hard PS5 existing instead of Sony just making games for XSX is also a little anti-consumer...

Still, to answer a bit more seriously... Nope, if people want to make an additional version more power to them... as a consumer I expect the new console to have dedicated games they properly exploit it and are well tested: losing focus and/or spending more R&D money on other versions for the same release is not what I game on consoles for.

Last edited:
If you stretch it real hard PS5 existing instead of Sony just making games for XSX is also a little anti-consumer...

Still, to answer a bit more seriously... Nope, if people want to make an additional version more power to them... as a consumer I expect the new console to have dedicated games they properly exploit it and are well tested: losing focus and/or spending more R&D money on other versions for the same release is not what I game on consoles for.
It's understandable, BUT is not the end of the world. There's talk of remastering Bloodborne for the PS5 which is a form of wasting resources as opposed making a game that is accessible across multiple platforms with varying power capacity.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's understandable, BUT is not the end of the world. There's talk of remastering Bloodborne for the PS5 which is a form of wasting resources as opposed making a game that is accessible across multiple platforms with varying power capacity.

I would have preferred just a PS5 patch than a full blown remaster, but you are picking a game rumoured today get a remaster because it is going to be on PC too, so uhm... perhaps not the best example :).

Msamy

What Sony doing in last couple months is giving it's Fun's a middle finger , as I said before they have pretty solid marketing team

I would have preferred just a PS5 patch than a full blown remaster, but you are picking a game rumoured today get a remaster because it is going to be on PC too, so uhm... perhaps not the best example :).
Correct! Its not the best example like you said, but a better point is that, a lot of fans would pay for the remaster without batting an eye and in the end wouldn't be seen as bad. It's all about options. I just prefer, like you said, a simple patch, which is what Microsoft is doing on steroids.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Correct! Its not the best example like you said, but a better point is that, a lot of fans would pay for the remaster without batting an eye and in the end wouldn't be seen as bad. It's all about options. I just prefer, like you said, a simple patch, which is what Microsoft is doing on steroids.

For the remasters sure, maybe that is what Sony will be doing. I see it differently if they are trying to sell it as a separate version as I can see what funded the extra version... less impact on game quality.

For the remasters sure, maybe that is what Sony will be doing. I see it differently if they are trying to sell it as a separate version as I can see what funded the extra version... less impact on game quality.
Won't PS4 games be patched? I say focus on a sequel.

Side note: I get overwhelmed thinking of what games will look and feel like on next gen. A Bloodborne sequel is going to be a dream.

Vawn

Banned
PlayStation has always been better in-tune with the hardcore gamer. It's a new generation. Gamers want games that aren't held back by 7 year-old hardware (that honestly was outdated even in 2013).

Sony, at least gets that - thank goodness.

Ten_Fold

Come on Sony, either bluepoint games or Sony’s Japanese studio gotta remake that Legend of Dragoon. Do the right thing.

Yes you're right, nerds like us are the early adopters. I'm not even getting the PS5 initially for what we saw in the UE5, instead it's the fast loading, the new controller, and the ability to enhance all of the first party hitters like GOW, Spiderman, and HZD. PS5 will get games of that caliber over time.
I bought my PS4 late in the Generation after the first trailer for Ghost of Tshushima. With my backlog being what it is I dont see myself playing TLOU2 or GOT on PS4. I bought the ps4 spiderman pack and will be looking forward to playing these 2020 titles in boost mode on PS5.

They better have games of that caliber at launch window, at the very least 1-2. They've had time and money. All the leaks and rumors point to a YES. Much better than PS4's launch.

They better have games of that caliber at launch window, at the very least 1-2. They've had time and money. All the leaks and rumors point to a YES. Much better than PS4's launch.
Case and point the heavily rumored HZD2. If not at launch, maybe in the first half of 2021? I'd hope we're getting more info at the event this Thursday.

I bought my PS4 late in the Generation after the first trailer for Ghost of Tshushima. With my backlog being what it is I dont see myself playing TLOU2 or GOT on PS4. I bought the ps4 spiderman pack and will be looking forward to playing these 2020 titles in boost mode on PS5.
I'm definitely in the same situation. I actually bought all those games but haven't opened them yet. Just a wait and see situation for me.

Vawn

Banned

I'm not sure what you mean by they've had time. It isn't like they haven't been releasing great exclusives. It would be nice, sure. But they still have The Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima coming out between now and then too, both playable on PS5.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
My arguement is simple. Game scaling has been going on for years and will continue. The Witcher 3 is a prime example of how scaling can work.

I'm not worried about XSX. Its the most powerful next gen console and Hellblade 2, Gears 6, The Initiatives new game,Playgrounds new Fable, Obsidians new big rpg are all using UE. Halo Infinite will be a tech showcase on XSX,despite being on XB1. I am confident that seeing Hellblade 2, Halo Infinite, The Initiatives new game,Playgrounds new Fable will all be tech showcases and will quickly put this "cross gen will kill Xbox" narrative to rest.
Idk, those Halo Infinite trailers made it look like a crossgen game would look IMO. I expected a bigger difference

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

What Sony doing in last couple months is giving it's Fun's a middle finger , as I said before they have pretty solid marketing team
What if they're working on game demos/trailers to really impress the masses and they haven't been ready to show their goods until now

Is that giving fans the middle finger?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The most exciting/scary thing we're going to see in the coming months...

Will the PS5 and it's superior architecture/SSD, in combination with Sony's stance on true exclusives, be noticably more impressive that Microsoft's big cross gen exclusive games.

That's it. That's what the fanboy wars will shift to sometime in July when we see gameplay from both sides heavy hitters.

SUPERGGK

First few years are very crucial for a new console. Microsoft strategy of not having first party exclusives on series x during these crucial years is going to bite them in the ass. Rather than the start of a new generation, I feel that series x will be treated like a mid gen refresh by the majority of people, just like pro and x. And similar to the sales of these consoles, the sales of series x are going to suffer. Meaning that ps5 will gain easy lead due to exclusive nature of its games and this will create a chain reaction, where more people will have ps5 and will suggest ps5 to their friends, leading to companies prioritizing ps5 more and making exclusive games and deals with sony, in short a repeat of this gen.

PlayStation has always been better in-tune with the hardcore gamer. It's a new generation. Gamers want games that aren't held back by 7 year-old hardware (that honestly was outdated even in 2013).

Sony, at least gets that - thank goodness.

Do you ever update the computer program that posts your comments?

ZywyPL

Banned
INB4...

bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

Bring it on Jim, show me something completely new and different that wasn't possible on PS4 already, I'm waiting.

yurinka

Bring it on Jim, show me something completely new and different that wasn't possible on PS4 already, I'm waiting.
3rd person games with realistic visuals with a portion of them in a forest. Other than that these games are pretty different. And PS has a ton of other exclusives with very different art styles, game genres and cameras. In fact, compared to the other two console manufaturers, PlayStation is the one who releases more unique games as exclusives and a bigger amount of new IPs each generation instead of focusing in the same old IPs again and again.

Parappa, Vip Ribbon, Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Invizimals, Loco Roco, Patapon, Little Big Planet, Flower, Journey, Puppeteer, Quantic Dreams games, Modnation Racers, Killzone, Rain, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, The Order, The Last Guardian, Tearaway, Concrete Genie, Dreams... they have dozens of very different exclusives. And this is not counting 3rd party (some of them timed or console) exclusives with stuff like Yakuza, Persona or Street Fighter V.

That image is super dumb. For sure they will deliver brand new stuff. Obviously most of the games will have as a solid base the game design fundamentals and traditional game genres, but like in any generations we'll see new ideas, concepts and stuff that wasn't possible before.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
3rd person games with realistic visuals with a portion of them in a forest. Other than that these games are pretty different. And PS has a ton of other exclusives with very different art styles, game genres and cameras. In fact, compared to the other two console manufaturers, PlayStation is the one who releases more unique games as exclusives and a bigger amount of new IPs each generation instead of focusing in the same old IPs again and again.

Parappa, Vip Ribbon, Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Invizimals, Loco Roco, Patapon, Little Big Planet, Flower, Journey, Puppeteer, Quantic Dreams games, Modnation Racers, Killzone, Rain, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, The Order, The Last Guardian, Tearaway, Concrete Genie, Dreams... they have dozens of very different exclusives. And this is not counting 3rd party (some of them timed or console) exclusives with stuff like Yakuza, Persona or Street Fighter V.

That image is super dumb. For sure they will deliver brand new stuff. Obviously most of the games will have as a solid base the game design fundamentals and traditional game genres, but like in any generations we'll see new ideas, concepts and stuff that wasn't possible before.

16gnae.jpg

Playstation's lineup is no more as diverse and unique as it used to be back in the PS1/2/3 days, stop living on the past and denying the reality. Or continue to do so, whatever, just don't involve me into any of this bullshit. Thanks in advance.

yurinka

Playstation's lineup is no more as diverse and unique as it used to be back in the PS1/2/3 days, stop living on the past and denying the reality. Or continue to do so, whatever, just don't involve me into any of this bullshit. Thanks in advance.
I didn't say that is more or less diverse in the current gen than in the previous one.

I said your image is bullshit because it's a totally false image of the PS exclusives, both in the current gen and in the previous ones. Even to say that these 4 games are the same. Just looking at this gen we have a ton of examples of a lot of very different games:

Driveclub, Wipeout Omega Collection, Deracine, Street Fighter V, FFVIIR, Alienation, Astrobot, Bound, Concrete Genie, Bloodborne, Drawn to Death, Judgement, Knack 1 & 2, Infamous, RIGS, Spiderman, Tomorrow Children, Nioh 2, MLB, Matterfall, Fat Princess, Gravity Rush, Everybody's Golf, Killzone Shadowfall, Granblue Fantasy, 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim, Guilty Gear Strive, Ironman VR, Spelunky 2, Babylon's Fall, EITR, Bloodborne, TxK, Detroit, Dreams, Guilty Gear Xrd...

The list is very long and diverse, here you have a ton of exclusives more:
https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4
https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps-vita

It isn't an opinion, it's a fact: PS has a lot of exclusives that cover a lot of types of games and art styles. Even if you only look at the games released this generation.

Last edited:
I didn't say that is more or less diverse in the current gen than in the previous one.

I said your image is bullshit because it's a totally false image of the PS exclusives, both in the current gen and in the previous ones. Even to say that these 4 games are the same. Just looking at this gen we have a ton of examples of a lot of very different games:

Driveclub, Wipeout Omega Collection, Deracine, Street Fighter V, FFVIIR, Alienation, Astrobot, Bound, Concrete Genie, Bloodborne, Drawn to Death, Judgement, Knack 1 & 2, Infamous, RIGS, Spiderman, Tomorrow Children, Nioh 2, MLB, Matterfall, Fat Princess, Gravity Rush, Everybody's Golf, Killzone Shadowfall, Granblue Fantasy, 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim, Guilty Gear Strive, Ironman VR, Spelunky 2, Babylon's Fall, EITR, Bloodborne, TxK, Detroit, Dreams, Guilty Gear Xrd...

The list is very long and diverse, here you have a ton of exclusives more:
https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4
https://www.gematsu.com/exclusives/ps-vita

It isn't an opinion, it's a fact: PS has a lot of exclusives that cover a lot of types of games and art styles. Even if you only look at the games released this generation.

If you want to blow that out of proportion, look at total games published on each system. The more games published in x than y have in essence, more exclusives (and by sheer numerical probability, more variety). You'll be surprised at the gap. Lists wars died for a reason, and not because people decided to be civil and retreat to their respective camps.... but because it wasn't close.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

INB4...

bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

16gnae.jpg

It's not as diverse as it was back in the PS1, PS2 era but it's more diverse than any current gen console, y'all just refuse to see it

yurinka

If you want to blow that out of proportion, look at total games published on each system. The more games published in x than y have in essence, more exclusives (and by sheer numerical probability, more variety). You'll be surprised at the gap. Lists wars died for a reason, and not because people decided to be civil and retreat to their respective camps.... but because it wasn't close.
I just said that it's stupid to say that all PS exclusives are the same because it's a blatant, dumb fanboy lie and proved it with just a few cases.

On Demand

Banned
PS4 has more exlusives and game variety than any other console. It's not debatable.
INB4...

bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

And yet at the slightist hint of a Sony exclusive going to PC everybody comes running like wild dogs begging for it to be true. Threads on here reach multiple pages. Desetera hundreds thousands views thousands of post. All for these so called samey games.

Sony must be doing something right.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Its funny how Jim Ryan is essentially giving Don Mattrick's "We've got a system for that" speech, but instead of greeting it with disdain this time around, we don't hear a peep from the games media and peanut gallery. I guess all the PS4 Pro owners are screwed.

Its funny how Jim Ryan is essentially giving Don Mattrick's "We've got a system for that" speech, but instead of greeting it with disdain this time around, we don't hear a peep from the games media and peanut gallery. I guess all the PS4 Pro owners are screwed.
I am not sure any Pro owner would NOT want to upgrade. If they wanted to save money they would never buy a Pro to begin with.

Hell, I would like any Pro owner who are unhappy with not being able to play PS5 games, to speak up. Someone should start a thread and see if they actually EXIST.

Im happy as a ps4 pro owner that new games only playable on ps5 are coming, it's why I'm buying it.

I also do not care one bit about backwards compatibility on the ps5 as the ps4 stays right where it is. Storage will be lean on these new consoles with ssd's so I see no reason to want to load ps4 games on the ps5. I already play the deleting and installing games on the ps4 now.

Vroadstar

16gnae.jpg

Came into PS thread and posted garbage post and then had the temerity to ask people to not include him into any bullshit, despite posting a bullshit post. Your tag is there for a reason, yet here you are 💚

bYieBSS.png

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
PS4 has more exlusives and game variety than any other console. It's not debatable.

And yet at the slightist hint of a Sony exclusive going to PC everybody comes running like wild dogs begging for it to be true. Threads on here reach multiple pages. Desetera hundreds thousands views thousands of post. All for these so called samey games.

Sony must be doing something right.

For them, sure it works, I cannot blame them, it's all just a business, if a strategy brings you a lot of money then follow it. But for me, the end consumer, especially a one that has been with PS for the past 25 years or so since the PSX, I don't know man, they have dropped the ball, PS4 was hands down their least effort generation (again, can't blame them because they made billions each year, so why even try). You say about variety, but where are shooters, where are racing games, where are platformers, hell, where is any sort of competitive MP? We got KZ:SF and UC4 years ago and that's it. Sorry, but if you compare a random PS3 year with entire PS4 lifespan, it's like two completely different companies run the business.

And that's my point, no one, I repeat - no one is stopping them for giving different experiences already on the PS4, we have all the 3rd party publishers/devs covering every genre there is, with multiple titles of the same type sometimes, and yet somehow Sony needs to wait for the PS5 to give us something that wasn't possible before, that's an obvious PR spin from Ryan, and I simply don't buy it. Talk is cheap, I'll believe when I see it, and I'll be very happy to see something that isn't a 3rd person title, or any sort of MP game, but like I said, I'm here sitting and waiting, it's up to Ryan/Sony to deliver.

Tulipanzo

This is massively dumb, the two statements aren't anywhere near each other.
Don Mattrick told people who didn't like a ban on used games and forced online to go fuck themselves, while Ryan is highlighting a commitment to invest in games for next-gen costumers after years of support for their current platform.

Literally every single console launch in history has had exclusives. Refusing to invest in your new system, especially after middling support for your current one, is as far from pro-consumer as it can be.

“It's time to give fans something that can only be enjoyed on PlayStation 5”

this is valve level of disingenuous. Announcing something then delaying indefinitely

Top Bottom