• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Nintendo were often quite envious of us”, says former Rare staffer

How Microsoft managed to bungle up such a hallowed studio will forever be beyond me. With Nintendo, Rare was a veritable hit-factory.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't know if it would have actually translated to sales, but I agree that the N64 would be a LOT less fondly remembered if Rare never existed. We would have lost out on B-K, B-T, DKR, DK64, Conker, PD, and Goldeneye.

Don't you dare forget Blast Corps!

Chitown B

I don't know if it would have actually translated to sales, but I agree that the N64 would be a LOT less fondly remembered if Rare never existed. We would have lost out on B-K, B-T, DKR, DK64, Conker, PD, and Goldeneye.

I played Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corps, Goldeneye. None of the others you listed, which seems odd since I bought the N64 on day one.

Square2015

oInyGrz.png

Thank you imgur, so long imageshack :)
blue=SNES
yellow=GB
green=N64
pink=GBC
purple=GC
shiny blue=GBA
lime green=X360
gray=DS

Tossell’s comments came about when asked if Nintendo ever shared code with Rare considering the Big N had a large stake in the company.

He said:
No, we never had the Zelda engine or any code they did! We did see an early version of Zelda and that was a big influence on Dinosaur Planet, though. Nintendo were often quite envious of us. I got the feeling they thought our games were technically and artistically superior to theirs. Miyamoto would visit regularly and I heard a rumor they redid all of the textures on Zelda after they’d seen our work on Banjo-Kazooie because our game looked better!

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-were-often-quite-envious-of-us-says-former-rare-staffer/

Now that's a presumptuous thing to say, while most of Rare games were graphically very impressive in N64 they often suffer from serious frame rate problems, and no, no game from Rare came to the artistical degree to Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 IMHO.

I'm calling shananigans right here. Am I really expected to believe Banjo, DK, Conker's engine is so similar to Mario 64 by pure coincicense? Diddy Kong Racing to Mario Kart 64?
Unless, he's specifically talking about Zelda code... I guess I could believe that... since Star Fox adventures is a shite spin on Zelda's engine... I'd expect something at least sub par if they had the code.

How Microsoft managed to bungle up such a hallowed studio will forever be beyond me. With Nintendo, Rare was a veritable hit-factory.

... They probably went to crap on Nintendo's watch, and were hot potatoed to Microsoft just in time, before anyone knew they fell to pieces.

Nobody just sell the goose that lays the golden eggs... unless it's eggs start to go bad, hear what I'm saying?

NolbertoS

Man, I miss the good old days of Rare releasing Donkey Kong Country type games. I wonder if Rare had stayed with Nintendo throughout the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U era, would have Nintendo been in abit better position?? Have more first party IP's? Let Rare, make M-rated games ala Naughty Dog? So many if's. I just hope the Wii U survives for another 5 years or so.

ONI5

Neo Member
Rare was a shell before MS bought it. MS was lucky to get what it got from Rare. They were too spread out with multiple projects and none of them close to being finished. They were used to Nintendo helping them and were not used to being in a setting in which they were expected to be independent. That is iterated in almost all of the stories that come from the interviews from people who worked at Rare. MS wanted big boys that could do stuff when left alone with freedom and Rare couldn't do that so MS put them in the Kinect corner until they can show that they are worth the money spent.

.As they are now, I wouldn't be surprised if Rare popped up with an ID@XBOX game for side projects

Sponge

Banned
Rare was a shell before MS bought it.

If by shell you mean that a few people left to Free Radical then yeah. Important people started leaving after the Microsoft buyout.

You can already tell the same is happening with Retro, those poor guys stuck on DKC games.

Retro seems happy with what they're doing. They're a great studio but a lot of the Prime team is gone, and if you ask me, people overrate what Retro can do. Besides, they want to make DKC. Who would make it if they didn't? Paon? No thanks.

Top Bottom