• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Rare Dev Say There's Not An Audience For A New Banjo-Kazooie

Draugoth

Gold Member
super-smash-bros-ultimate-fighters-pass.jpg

While discussing Banjo-Kazooie's 25th anniversary, Grant Kirkhope, a composer who worked on a ton of Rare games in the past, said that he doesn't think there's an audience for Banjo-Threeie.

Mayles said:

"I can’t really speak for Gregg (Mayles, Rare's creative director) but he’s really the custodian of the franchise. He doesn’t really like to look back and tread over old ground, so I don’t think he’s ever been bothered about doing anything else with the franchise. He’d rather move on to new experiences – as far as he’s concerned, he’s been there, done that”.

Kirkhope was similarly sceptical about a third entry, noting that the team working on it would have to get the humour right, something that he says is hard to replicate. Kirkhope said, "I think Rare would be open to somebody if they found the right team, but I don’t feel like that team exists. Also, I’m not convinced the audience is there either.”

Although Kirkhope and Mayles both seem to think that it's unlikely to happen in the near future, if at all, they still seem to want a new game in the series. Sutherland was the most positive out of the three, noting that he hopes "somebody is going to bring out something… some kind of sequel or ‘next in line’ game. At least before a point where I can still remember that the first one existed! But hopefully sooner.”

If he means the platforming audience…he might have a point?

If he means the nuts and bolts audience, I think that having a game to feed that ToTk itch(once a few years pass) would be nice, but I guess it wouldn’t be a smart business move?

This was the thinking that led us to Nuts and Bolts, a game that was great but because it had Banjo and Kazooie in the name, it was crapped on unjustly. Typically, the ones that had the most problems with the game were typically the ones who weren’t creative enough to solve its puzzles, but that’s another discussion for another thread.

I disagree about the statement about the audience—3D Mario platform games are still getting tons of sales (e.g. 3D All Stars, Odyssey) and people still give a crap about Sonic (despite their not being a good Sonic game since Mania…)

As for the humor…well, I’m sure Microsoft could get some of the old crew to return if they really wanted to, which would help…but the core games are ~15+ years old now. I just don’t think it will happen unless there’s a stellar idea they stumble on.

ckaneo

This was the thinking that led us to Nuts and Bolts, a game that was great but because it had Banjo and Kazooie in the name, it was crapped on unjustly. Typically, the ones that had the most problems with the game were typically the ones who weren’t creative enough to solve its puzzles, but that’s another discussion for another thread.

I disagree about the statement about the audience—3D Mario platform games are still getting tons of sales (e.g. 3D All Stars, Odyssey) and people still give a crap about Sonic (despite their not being a good Sonic game since Mania…)

As for the humor…well, I’m sure Microsoft could get some of the old crew to return if they really wanted to, which would help…but the core games are ~15+ years old now. I just don’t think it will happen unless there’s a stellar idea they stumble on.
Sonic and Mario have popularity that exist outside of just their games. I don't think those are good comparisons.

Crash, Spyro, are better. They could remake Banjo 1 and 2 and then do a 3 if it sells well. But Activision tried that with Crash 4 and doesn't look like we'll get a 5

He’s right, especially on the XBOX unfortunately. There is an audience for practically anything, but most companies only really want the franchises or genres that are literally guaranteed to make millions and that leaves very few choices nowadays. There are exceptions of course, but platformers aren’t exactly in full demand now. Banjo will probably be a risk for them financially. There’s a reason why we are getting so many sequels, GAAS and remakes. Again, Banjo has an audience, but companies rather dedicate their time and resources to different audiences who will probably make them more money.

Last edited:
Sonic and Mario have popularity that exist outside of just their games. I don't think those are good comparisons.

Crash, Spyro, are better. They could remake Banjo 1 and 2 and then do a 3 if it sells well. But Activision tried that with Crash 4 and doesn't look like we'll get a 5

True, good point. Though I though Crash 4 sold well enough to release a spin-off game recently?…

Umbasaborne

Banned
These people are idiots, no offense. Did they not see the reaction to banjo in smash? Or games like crash trilogy, spyro trilogy, and ratchet and clank selling well? If its exclusive to xbox, then Yeah i can I see the argument. But if they made a proper banjo 3 for xbox and switch and pc it would sell gang busters

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah, my opinion for a while now has been that a sequel has such a minimal chance of meeting the standards of the original game that it’s not even worth them trying. I’d rather have nothing than a pale imitation by an average studio like Sumo Digital.

It’s ok though, other studios like Gears For Breakfast and Splashteam have made great 3D platformers recently. It’s just about finding the devs with the talent rather than pining for a name.

Banjo64 Banjo64 Fuck you, I guess.

Sorry Music Video GIF
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bridges

There is for sure an audience. The Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter proves it.

They would just have to be smart with the budget and the team that does it. I feel like Double Fine is the obvious choice but they vocally only want to work on their own IP.

Power Pro

Don't yell at me because of how wrong I am, but what I personally think the truth is...gaming used to sell less numbers and it would be considered a success. Now, because gaming is "mainstream" it needs to do X million in sales for it to be worthwhile. Forget that there are still probably hundred of thousands of people, especially enthusiasts like us who browse gaming forums who would eat it up, it's not enough for these big companies to be happy anymore.

It's not that there isn't an audience, it's just we don't matter anymore.

Look at a franchise like Mega Man...at one time I would think Mega Man goes hand in hand with gaming as a whole, on the same level as a Mario was for me back in the day. Now...I heard game store employees refer to Mega Man as a "niche" franchise, and that's why they didn't get many copies of the MM battle network collection.

MagnesD3

super-smash-bros-ultimate-fighters-pass.jpg

While discussing Banjo-Kazooie's 25th anniversary, Grant Kirkhope, a composer who worked on a ton of Rare games in the past, said that he doesn't think there's an audience for Banjo-Threeie.

Mayles said:

Kirkhope was similarly sceptical about a third entry, noting that the team working on it would have to get the humour right, something that he says is hard to replicate. Kirkhope said, "I think Rare would be open to somebody if they found the right team, but I don’t feel like that team exists. Also, I’m not convinced the audience is there either.”

Although Kirkhope and Mayles both seem to think that it's unlikely to happen in the near future, if at all, they still seem to want a new game in the series. Sutherland was the most positive out of the three, noting that he hopes "somebody is going to bring out something… some kind of sequel or ‘next in line’ game. At least before a point where I can still remember that the first one existed! But hopefully sooner.”
Yeah they are wrong, why do you think so many people lost thier shit when banjo dropped in smash. It's not gonna do Fortnight numbers but there's definitely an audience.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
A niche ip under a small userbase platform.

Most they can do is make a game and put it on gamepass day 1

bender

What time is it?
Budget appropriately for the audience you think you can garner rather than thinking every game needs to be a AAA blockbuster.

Jinzo Prime

Is it weird that the creators of the series are so hesitant to make another game? They saw how blown away people were by Banjo in Smash, hell Kirkhope composed the trailer theme for the reveal, and they are still just sitting on their hands about it?

It really pisses me off: this isn't a new team trying to make a name for themselves the Malyes created Banjo and Kazooiee, Kirkhope created one of the first ever dynamic soundtracks in gaming history for Banjo, people are hungry for nostalgia, and your just going to let this go? Can't even get a remake? Fuck off.

simpatico

If someone outside of Nintendo could make a competent platformer with mass market appeal, they'd be better off using a new IP. B&K doesn't have some crazy high ceiling as a brand, and profitable platformers have proven really hard to make.

Top Bottom