• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games open to making Sunset Overdrive 2 if given the opportunity

etta

my hard graphic balls
Saw the article get sourced on reddit:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-proud-of-sunset-overdrive-but-no-word-on/1100-6444108/

Microsoft being the publisher of Sunset Overdrive likely means that it gets to call the shots about where the game is released, while Insomniac could make more games in the series if it wanted to. On that very subject, Insomniac said on Twitter that it would "love" to have a shot to make Sunset Overdrive 2.

Tweet as source seems shaky depending on who wrote it, but if it's true, you gotta do it Phil, for the love of God and all that is holy you have to greenlight this!

Maybe jstevenson can provide some insight?

EGOMON

This doesn't make sense! didn't they went to Microsoft just so they can own the IP? Howcome now Microsoft is calling the shot about the IP? They published the first game whatever happens after it is insomniac decision!

Even though Microsoft published it, do they actually own the IP?

Insomniac own the IP. One of MS's few exceptions these days where they got full exclusive on a game they didn't own outright.

Anyway, not sure of the setup at Insomniac, but surely this team is the one developing the Spider-Man games for Sony? Everything we've seen has suggested that will be multiple titles.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What a boring game to try and force a sequel for.
giphy.gif

GHG

What a boring game to try and force a sequel for.

I agree.

The game didn't resonate with me one bit.

If there were enough people out there who liked it I'm sure it would get a second chance because that's how Microsoft rolls but it's clear not enough people did like it.

It would be fan service at best.

This doesn't make sense! didn't they went to Microsoft just so they can own the IP? Howcome now Microsoft is calling the shot about the IP? They published the first game whatever happens after it is insomniac decision!

Microsoft funded and likely own the publishing rights for the first game, so they get to call the shots on where it gets released. Obviously a sequel would come via a different publisher although MS probably has an option for first refusal in the original contract, so that would determine the platforms it releases on.

Why would that matter? If insomniac owns the IP they should still be able to make the sequel on their own.

They still need a publisher to fund it for them.

I liked the first game enough, but not enough to dip back in for the DLC

I'd like to see what they could do with a sequel tho

Mostly I just want them at work on that next Ratchet

bluexy

Come on, guys. Let's not pretend Sunset Overdrive was anything more than a mediocre game that couldn't even keep exciting for the duration it its own game, let alone establish an exciting world or premise worth making a sequel for.

No one's talked about Sunset Overdrive for years, up until now, because it's boring. Let it lie.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm really glad that the whole Fuse situation happened.

I think it really showed publishers that focus groups don't work with games.

thuway

Microsoft would be the best person to ask to throw money at them because Sony is currently relishing in the Ratchet revival.

Microsoft would be the best person to ask to throw money at them because Sony is currently relishing in the Ratchet revival.

No one is going to fund a sequel in a IP they don't own with the first game not being successful.

Their best bet is to fund it themselves.

FelipeMGM

Come on, guys. Let's not pretend Sunset Overdrive was anything more than a mediocre game that couldn't even keep exciting for the duration it its own game, let alone establish an exciting world or premise worth making a sequel for.

No one's talked about Sunset Overdrive for years, up until now, because it's boring. Let it lie.

Well, Gaf will disagree with you on that

SO is brought on a lot of threads around here, multiple times every single week even

etta

my hard graphic balls

You know, you don't need to lie to yourself, it's not healthy.

thuway

Sony probably wouldn't let them keep the IP I don't think they're even an option

It's how Sony maintains the exclusivity of its platform. Besides, Sunset Overdrive is a cool idea that unfortunately is going to be remembered a lot like Resistance 3 - a stellar game marred by an audience who didn't care at the time.

So much wrong in one post, man. Ignore it if you don't like it.

Novocaine

Go shit up some other thread with your drivel. The game has a fan base, deal with it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It most likely didn't make the money back or return enough on the investment in order to make a sequel. If it had we'd have heard about it by now.

Insomniac shouldn't be worried, they be swimin' in Spider-Man money now.

Top Bottom