• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 World Record Speedrun Will Make Your Head Spin

Nokterian

I say damn..damn still dizzy from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSe8RMcQHeY

1238981275928140901.gif

1238981275885716581.gif

It’d be easy to assume the GIF above is the most impressive part of this run, but it’s not.

This incredibly fast speedrun of Half-Life 2: Episode Two was pulled off by SourceRuns Team, and they managed make it through Valve’s shooter in record time: 30 minutes and 36 seconds.

In order to make this work, some parts of the run weren’t done consecutively, so that particular strategies could be employed:

Timing starts when the crosshair appears and stops when it disappears. Segmented means that the run was done in multiple parts so riskier and faster strategies could be used. The version of the game is from 2009, build 4104. Some scripts (such as a jumping and duck spam script) were used.
One of the first things you’ll notice is how most of the speedrun takes place backwards. Here’s their explanation why that’s so useful:

Short version: If you jump backwards you go fast.

Long version: ABH or Accelerated Back Hopping is an unintended side effect of fixing bunny hopping. If you’re not familiar with the 2004 version of Half-Life 2, every time you jumped forwards with W held down you gained a little bit of speed. This could be exploited by jumping immediately after landing; you could gradually gain speed.

Then people at Valve decided to fix bunny hopping for Episode 2 and Portal. So how the fix works is if your horizontal speed is greater than the speed cap you get accelerated the amount you’re over the limit backwards. This gets applied every time you jump. The obvious way to exploit this fix is to simply turn around so that your speed is increased, instead of decreased.
The speedrunners actually break down how they pull off every glitch and exploit moment-by-moment in an exhaustive and super interesting document that makes for fascinating reading.

My favorite moment? When the speedrunners tackle the climactic battle against the striders and manage to nuke one of ‘em by tossing a bomb into the air, destroying the strider as it spawns in:

God damn, this makes me want Half-Life 3.

http://kotaku.com/half-life-2-world-record-speedrun-will-make-your-head-s-1702293906

Thanks patrick!

DieH@rd

Banned
Awesome Games Done Quick run of HL2 was spectacular.

edit - bah, this is script-assisted run. I don't like those. I like to see real human skill in a single try.

lol that trick with the car and DOG

"this car can sure take some abuse!"

but at 7+ mins they're already at White Forest, how is this going to be 30 mins? The expositional scenes?

Coxswain

Those scenes where they get locked in a room for five minutes with nothing to do but watch people talk seem like some weird, kafkaesque nightmare scenarios in the context of the rest of this playthrough.

Those scenes where they get locked in a room for five minutes with nothing to do but watch people talk seem like some weird, kafkaesque nightmare scenarios in the context of the rest of this playthrough.

It's usually what kills my interest in Half-Life 2 speedruns. It takes 10 minutes or so before the speedrun actually kicks into gear.

Oemenia

Banned
Awesome Games Done Quick run of HL2 was spectacular.

edit - bah, this is script-assisted run. I don't like those. I like to see real human skill in a single try.
Yeah Coolkid has a great run, besides this is Episode 2, a much more open game.

DocSeuss

I feel like if you're relying on scripts and segmented play to do a speedrun, you're not really doing a speedrun.

JNT

Segmented looks cool, but people should be aware that most of the tricks seen in the video can't be executed by a single person doing RTA at this level of perfection and consistency.

SJRB

Gold Member
60 seconds in and suddenly he warps through timespace to another dimension or something hahaha, what the shit is going on.

I love this stuff.

Durante

I forgot how large some of the Ep 2 areas were.

Strider battle is ridiculous in this.

Segmented looks cool, but people should be aware that most of the tricks seen in the video can't be executed by a single person doing RTA at this level of perfection and consistency.
I think that's exactly why TSAs have their own charm though. Seeing that bomb arcing perfectly through the air apparently at nothing and landing on the head of a strider the exact moment it spawns is great.

Axial

I'd be more impressed if he would've done it while aiming for the Little Rocket Man achievement too.

GeoGonzo

I enjoy Gordon's playfulness during them, however: tearing stuff appart, pointing out who the baby in the picture was, nodding when asked if he remembers, etc

JNT

I think that's exactly why TSAs have their own charm though. Seeing that bomb arcing perfectly through the air apparently at nothing and landing on the head of a strider the exact moment it spawns is great.
Don't get me wrong. They look great, and they are a lot of fun to watch. However, knowing that nobody can actually play at this level does take away some of the impressiveness.

ZanDatsu

I always wonder what the level designers think when they see their games being played like this. Maybe they are able to appreciate it in a different way than the rest of us, maybe not, but it'd be cool to have a developer reaction commentary along with a speedrun. They probably wouldn't get a sentence out before it's obsoleted by the player being somewhere else entirely.

Salsa

it's impossible for me to watch footage of Ep 2 and not want to instantly replay it

the game is so fucking good guys so fucking gooooooooooooood

Corrupt

I love how they broke the final cutscene by killing the hidden Advisor that was supposed to be used for the ending

DorkyMohr

Banned
I feel like if you're relying on scripts and segmented play to do a speedrun, you're not really doing a speedrun.

Segmented runs are in a weird middle area between speedruns and tool assisted runs. They're almost like a prototypical TAS given that the games that they're suited for typically have built in checkpoints in the form of levels and loads. They're a bit of a legacy, it's still fun to see them done though.

Top Bottom