• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube’s E3 Live Stream, Eight Million Views In 12 Hours

dmr87

YouTube just completed one of its biggest live streams of all time. The Google-owned video site’s live stream of this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) pulled in a whopping eight million views within the first 12 hours of coverage on June 15, 2015.

Though YouTube’s E3 stream began broadcasting E3 coverage on June 14, the official live stream event, hosted by Focus Features’ Self/less, kicked off the next day with hosts Geoff Keighley and Rooster Teeth. The hosts covered game play content, trailers, and interviews with game developers and creators, including Telltale Games (the studio behind The Walking Dead titles) and professional skater Tony Hawk.

Overall, the YouTube E3 live stream on June 15 pulled in over 500,000 comments from viewers, who watched roughly two million hours of live content over the course of the day. Like a true geek and game professional, Keighley quantified that watch time by saying it would allow someone to travel to Pluto and back a total of 12 times.

“Producing The Game Awards opened my eyes to the size of the audience that’s out there for digital video game programming,” Keighley said in an email. “But even that success didn’t prepare me for the result of partnering directly with YouTube for live programming about E3. Not only did we reach an audience that rivals the scale of basic cable — it was an audience that stayed with us all day and kept engaging with the content. E3 was a nice validation of the opportunity that exists for big scale live programming on YouTube.”

ffzb.png

http://www.tubefilter.com/2015/06/22/youtube-e3-live-stream-stats/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzCRmlUIFln8oJ1NuKbfkA/videos

BY2K

Membero Americo
Geoff Keighley to Viacom: "Suck it!"

Same thing next year?

If you could only make it so it's not 20 seconds behind the Twitch streams, that'd be grand.

facelike

I ended up on YouTube after some other streams failed. Left it on all day. Feed failed twice on me and only took a restart to get it going again.

I hope they do this with other live events in the future.

Tenebrous

YT had, by far, the best streams.

1080p 60FPS streaming of all the conferences was glorious.

Absolutely. The best streaming experience of a live event I've ever had, so kudos to YouTube and all the people behind the scenes for helping put on a great show.

Cardon

Enjoyed the coverage a lot. Definitely loved it on the technical side with the 1080P 60FPS stream quality, and I liked the general layout better than that of what Twitch or other sites had going on.

Maybe its just me, but the phrase "engaging with the content" makes me a bit ill.

Otherwise, I'd be interested what breakdown-per-channel was since YouTube was hosting/promoting multiple streams. I'm sure the official E3 stream had the most, but be interesting to see what IGN and GiantBomb's numbers were.

GavinUK86

I didn't use it for the conferences because of the long delay but the interviews and demos were really top notch.

I love watching your stuff Geoff, always professional and always fun!

Hopefully you get the chance to do it all again next year.

Averon

I really hope YT makes this an annual thing. I really can't stand the though of using Twitch or some other bootleg steaming site after seeing all the conferences in 1080p 60FPS.

Halabane

Rock solid video with 1080 quality. Good content choices. Nice job all around. Looking forward to what youtube is going to do in this space. Game streaming needs some competition.

Man, it sucks that I missed out on the majority of Geoff's coverage. His coverage was a billion times better then whatever the hell I was forced to watch on Twitch. Youtube was lagging for me the entire time unfortunately at 1080p60fps.

ZhugeEX

Banned
12 million watched via Twitch last year.

So I'm willing to say that Youtube + Twitch combined will be very high this year.

jelly

It was excellent and easy coverage to watch. Did have to stop start twice though when the buffer came up. Other than that, quality was excellent. Host, guests etc. good stuff.

Having a perfect stream all day long, along with the excellent coverage by Geoff and not needing to switch "channels" or streams all the time made for quite the home experience. Best seat in the house, that's for sure. Made taking a day off for E3 actually worth it.

UberTag

Glad you guys enjoyed - was a fun day!
Had an absolute blast and felt no need to entertain tuning in to anyone else even during the ever-present "what's trending now" updates.

Can't wait to see what you have on tap for an encore next year.

The Cowboy

And an excellent stream too. 1080p60 was soooooooo good.

It really was (1080p, 60fps, pause, rewind etc), it was such a downgrade when i had switch to twitch for the PC show of all things - hopefully we get it for everything next year as it was really great.

Top Bottom