• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 is Officially Dead

Sadly, e3 has been dead for a couple of years. Last in-person was 2019 and then ok fair enough 2020 was cancelled but digital only in 2021 and none in 2022. I assumed this was already announced.

POKEYCLYDE

E3 has been dead for a while. Only the privileged few should care that "E3" is dead. You live in the area or were willing to fly to L.A. AND can afford show floor tickets? Yeah.. it's a bummer for y'all.

But the spirit of what E3 is and has been for most of us is still alive. We still get press conferences/directs, we still get great announcements.

Quantum253

E3 has been dead for a while. Only the privileged few should care that "E3" is dead. You live in the area or were willing to fly to L.A. AND can afford show floor tickets? Yeah.. it's a bummer for y'all.

But the spirit of what E3 is and has been for most of us is still alive. We still get press conferences/directs, we still get great announcements.
The press conferences were what set E3 apart and the biggest announcements. In terms of show floor, early PAX West was the best experience. Pax has been downhill since covid too, but that's another thread

Killjoy-NL

I hope Sony brings back the PlayStation Experience. Probably wasn’t profitable and they’re comfortably on top this gen so likely a pipe dream

Nah it was definitely 2013 when they utterly annihilated Xbox. I still believe it was that day that put Xbox in the place they’re still in today.
Let us take time to remember this amazing piece of overkill:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
fhJXUjv.gif

EGRv0.gif

Last edited:

tkscz

sony killed sega consoles
sony killed E3
whos next?................................
I'd honestly say Nintendo killed E3. They did the unthinkable and were the first to straight leave the event to do there own thing. Everyone else follow suit.

It'll be missed but can't say I didn't see it coming. From the big 3 slowly but surely walking away to them making huge mistakes like accidentally leaking the addresses of attendees, and flip flopping on whether E3 was public or private. Still, I will miss it.

Codes 208

Besides being the biggest event for reveals, like a christmas in june kind of event…

I was always looking forward to the day i would finally be able to go in person with friends. It kinda stings knowing thatll never happen now

E3 in its heyday was great for gaming and gamers. Now the industry is all in on digital shows and other crap. Less human interaction and less spotlight on things being developed and coming out. Things will never be the same and a lot more boring. Sony pulling out was the beginning of the end.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, reading this sucks. I knew they were in trouble but now that the day has come, I'm sad. I'll always remember
waiting for the new Diehard Gamefan magazines and flipping to the back of the issue to see what mom and pop import
game stores were selling VHS tape recordings of the latest E3.

See kiddos, before the internet, we had to rely on the awesome people who got into the E3 and then videotaped basically 99% of the games being
shown/played at E3. They'd then get back, cut down literal hours of video and then send off a neatly, professionally edited 4-8 hour video tape(s) after
people like me and Solarstrike Solarstrike forked over like $50-$60 bucks. I actually still might have a tape or two lying around here somewhere.

You know what was awesome? The cold days of winter slowly melting away.....the days getting warmer....and knowing that E3 was only a few months away
for all the latest and greatest games and new systems. It seemed like the perfect "start" for summer every year. Now, I'll just have those fond memories
to remind me I suppose.

Thanks E3 for bringing this older guy some joy in his younger days. :messenger_heart: 🙏

Last edited:

Hugare

Nintendo and their goddamn Directs ruined E3

Makes sense financially, but I'll miss E3 so much. The hype, watching it live while working/studying, the memes, the interviews ...

Geoff's show is something completely different, and infinitely worse.

Let's be honest, all the reasons laid out today were exactly what we all already knew in 2021/2022. There's just no way to do it if the major players won't agree to exhibit and spend the money on a booth. And seeing as it's been 3 1/2 years since COVID, clearly you can make the argument that E3 isn't necessary to sell games anymore.

Dynasty8

Kind of sad to see it go like this, especially the press conferences. So many fond memories.

Hopefully Summer Game Fest steps up their game too and does better with some of their reveals. E32015 will always hold a special place for me.

Super sad, but I get it.

I remember when I was in middle school in the 90's people talking about having friends that worked at EB games that could get tickets to E3. These were always such mythical people that you always felt if you just had a chance to talk to them, they could somehow be your ticket in. E3 was so magical. Always watched the keynotes. Was more excited for new hardware announcements than anything else. I'm sad it's going away. But that same magic just hasn't been there for a while.

RSLAEV

Glad I had a friend who got me in back in 2002. I didn't get to go to any keynotes or special conferences but I got to wander around, play an early build of World of Warcraft, see a lot of booth babes and just take in the spectacle. I think the chaos of putting together a massive in person conference results in something that is more human than an internet broadcast, but I'm also glad that I can go to several places online and talk shit about the live presentations while watching them with other fans. It's like losing Saturday morning cartoons but gaining 24 hour cartoon channels and streaming services.

splattered

So NOW all of a sudden you guys want E3 again??? So many years of people jumping up and down on this forum screaming E3 is dead, we don't need it anymore. Everyone doing their own thing better and SG/TGA a suitable replacement. Crazy to see people actually wanting E3 again. Haha

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
DAMN! I have so many great memories of E3! I went there two years in a row (2012 and 2013) and it was AMAZING... especially the first time. It was like being in Nirvana... the parties were excellent! The games were great! I met Ed Boon by accident (he sat by me as one of the few available seats at Nintendo's presentation). It was magical! I hope y'all don't mind me sharing these images (I hope they aren't too big) but I can't find the 2013 pics for some reason... Sad day! :(

Fi9Urra.jpg
TyRB03L.jpg
nTN03u0.jpg
JHjBwWM.jpg
ZiyO5hf.jpg
EyUhW7k.jpg
KUMNSDg.jpg
3YyKpZE.jpg
6seUamr.jpg
P4FNJZy.jpg
llnYAnM.jpg
ntchiYk.jpg
gsbpyuF.jpg

Terrible news, at least we still have gamescom. The big three will continue to trickle information and give us garbage. Microsoft will have like 2-3 mini e3 like montages of games when e3 would have given us one big montage with all the crap vetted out.
nobody cares about gamescom :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Muffdraul

For me, E3 has always simply been a source for new game announcements and previews. Don't need a live centralized convention for that. I'm sure it was fun for people working in the industry, but that never had anything to do with me.

Kaljinyu

Dusting off my GAF account to make a pilgrimage and pay respects.

For what it's worth, I kinda blame Nintendo and their Treehouse event in 2013. But at the same time Nintendo simply adapted to the times. Not using the Internet to your advantage is like running a forum for your product when you could simply put "Follow us on social media" on your website.

A piece of us (old gamers) has died

Yeah, this is what it is for me. The environment just isn't there for the E3 we knew. Times have changed, new demands are being made. The Internet of the late 2000s/early 2010s is not the same Internet that we have now, for one thing. But when the cool things old people enjoyed go away, what's left for us? What am I supposed to get hype about now? Or is getting old about giving up on happiness?

Welp, E3 holds a special place in my gaming heart since it was my initiation into gaming conferences, so I still hoped they would bounce back.... Sure, there are plenty of other digital and in-person events, but they just don't feel as hype as E3 was.

E3 had a monopoly on gaming news. A lot of people don't like that, and that's at least one of the reason things have changed.

But me personally, I prefer one big "true north" for us to turn our sights toward as far as a video games event. I can't get hype over small things.

Loved E3

Did anyone else take a couple of days holiday from work to watch this?

At the time, I was able to watch E3 at work. It was against rules, but I made it work somehow. Cubicles, and awareness of what was going on.

Don't worry, we still have the cringe awards.

champoy-laughing-crying.gif

That's the thing about E3. When it was good, it was very good. When it was bad, it was very bad. But you always felt something.

Compare this...

To whatever controversy the Game Awards had, the "Please Wrap It Up" sign I guess? Dog of Duty was everywhere. People have already moved on to other things besides "Please Wrap It Up."

I really miss E3 and also the related pre, during and post discussions on NeoGaf

As much as I appreciate what you guys are doing here, the state of GAF and E3 being dead are indicative of the same overarching issue. Time killed E3 like time is hurting NeoGAF.

Some people dreamt of going to E3 someday. I dreamt of getting a non-webmail address so I could join GAF, and be seen by the game developers themselves. Reach out and touch them. But that's gone too. But what a hold it had one me once upon a time.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Let us take time to remember this amazing piece of overkill:

That was the only conference I missed because I went to EA's instead... then right after it was Microsoft's (right across the street) conference...

And they provided me with interpreters at all the meetings BCDs (like CD Projekt Red) and on the show floor and at the conferences. That made ALL the difference because the year before I couldn't hear worth a damn and didn't know they provided interpreters! LOL! But I followed along as best I could... folks were very accommodating towards me being deaf.

Hudo

That's very unfortunate. Even if E3 wasn't all that interesting the last couple of times, it was still something where you had at least all the important announcements of the year within 1 week instead of the bullshit drip-feeding crap throughout the year that we have now. And Dorito Pope's ad show is not a replacement at all.
E3 holds a lot of nice memories for me. RIP.

Kaljinyu

That was the only conference I missed because I went to EA's instead... then right after it was Microsoft's (right across the street) conference...

And they provided me with interpreters at all the meetings BCDs (like CD Projekt Red) and on the show floor and at the conferences. That made ALL the difference because the year before I couldn't hear worth a damn and didn't know they provided interpreters! LOL! But I followed along as best I could... folks were very accommodating towards me being deaf.

Jack Tretton and friends dropped this, and then dipped.

Where'd you go, Jack Tretton? Seems gaming died for you in 2013 too.

He's on a few advisory boards. Okay, so I guess that's what our generation is supposed to move onto. Tech news.

Top Bottom