• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2023 Has Been Canceled

Batiman

Banned
Hopefully the game awards continues to get better and better over the years and it turns out to be a huge show for announcements. I know it’s an award show but they have been announcing some decent games in the last couple of years.

sony in particular have been annoying. they havent done a live event with an audience since 2018 and they were so good at it. why cant they just do 1 big show per year? is that so much to ask?

This was extremely obvious back in January as soon as Nintendo and Xbox both confirmed they would not be participating. Should’ve saved a lot of time and canceled it as soon as both of the repainting platform holders bowed out.

Next year?

phant0m

The extravagance of E3 was really unmatched it's sad that it is going. E3 must truly be a corrupt organisation for everyone to have quit on them, seems Sony quitting didn't give them the message?

Things like Comic con are not losing any relevance though, they are only getting bigger. Something will replace this

If I were building a new E3 for the modern era it would be a week long:
  • Have panels for everyone like Comic con rather than stage shows. Bring on devs and cast in a more grounded environment, drop trailers and gameplay and fan questions
    • Eg instead of a Sony showcase you might get the Last of Us panel covering the games and TV
    • For Nintendo you would have a Zelda panel
    • Microsoft could host a mergers and acquisitions panel
  • Take the emphasis off perfectly curated CG trailers and more on gameplay showcases.
  • Have live bands and orchestras that people can go see between panels
  • Have a huge eSports component with the industries biggest prize for the 2-3 biggest current games
  • Have an actual streamed portion of the E3 awards at the end
"Geoff sitting on a couch and announcing trailers" just doesn't cut it for what the scale of the industry is
Why does it need to be corrupt? Putting on those showcases is ENORMOUSLY expensive. For what? They left E3 and big fucking surprise, games don’t sell any less. HFW and Ragnarok didn’t crater because they didn’t get a big E3 hype show.

I know we liked it as gamers but just being very blunt these companies did the math and it didn’t make sense. It costs them comparatively nothing to send Geoff a trailer and let his advertisers foot the bill.

What I want is a return of PlayStation Experience. Some thing truly for Sony fans and gamers, not press.

Mercador

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Seriously, I've been there 8 or 9 times, it was great from 2002-2006 but then after, it just went downhill.

Humdinger

Well, that's sad. It was always fun to read the build-up to E3, watch the hype grow, watch the shows, and then argue afterward who "won E3." The cringe moments were hilarious, too, although I suspect not so funny for the companies themselves. Probably that is yet another reason they pulled out -- to carefully curate their presentations so they didn't end up on the receiving end of so much ridicule.

There are many reasons why this happened, and I'm not surprised. I'm still kind of sad, though.

Why does it need to be corrupt? Putting on those showcases is ENORMOUSLY expensive. For what? They left E3 and big fucking surprise, games don’t sell any less. HFW and Ragnarok didn’t crater because they didn’t get a big E3 hype show.

I know we liked it as gamers but just being very blunt these companies did the math and it didn’t make sense. It costs them comparatively nothing to send Geoff a trailer and let his advertisers foot the bill.

What I want is a return of PlayStation Experience. Some thing truly for Sony fans and gamers, not press.

yeah i wouldnt mind it, if this was the case, but what are the chances of this happening? sony were the first ones to bail out of live shows. PS5 is killing it. their games are selling better than ever. they have no incentive to do this.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I always wanted to attend an E3, as a child I couldn't because I didn't have enough money to go as a tourist..

Now that I have good work and capital, it is cancelled.

I could never go to an E3 🙈
i went to one, it was awesome.

Ultimately E3 is put on by the ESA, which is a trade group. If the members of the trade group dont want to put on the show, then that's a wrap.

Yoboman

I'm sure that helped make the decision easier but you need to realise E3 started to support the ESA which is a political lobbying group. Membership dues are vastly over a million dollars now while they make all the money back on the effort put in by the big players at E3 to make E3 special

At some point members were going to ask why they are paying millions to make this show work while ESA makes all the profit on it. Plus they are paying over a million for membership dues

ESA essentially became a half assed lobbying group and half assed trade show with their priorities split.

Then other crap happened like the huge data leak

I don't know what people were expecting with a 2023 E3 anyway. I feel like some of you are more into the idea of E3(due to nostalgia), than the reality of what it would end up being in today's world.

Always loved the ‘press conference day’ of old E3.
Would get snacks and drinks for the evening and play games until Sony’s conference which was 3am for me.

Then next day rewatch the best trailers and have a little Nintendo dessert as well. Of course followed by Giant Bomb silly interviews and stuff from the floor.

It was awesome, but yea, was never coming back like that. Also, most of the incredible stuff you saw would release 3/4 years later, heavily downgraded. But it was fun to dream ;)

Can't speak for him or anyone else, but I sure as shit hated the sweaty CEO's strutting around stage, trying to be all cool with "hey kids check this out" and the boring numbers and the bullshit fluff.
You are talking about the pre show presentations, I'm talking about the show itself. It was great to check out games, see gaming people and see the amazing displays on the floor. A dream for any gamer. How could anyone not enjoy that?

Gambit2483

End of an era and a part of my teenage years where in the late 90's and early 2000's E3 was so fucking good.

Imagine in 99 where Sony has the PS2 unveiling and it looks like this

Then this fucker a year later drops this bomb

Sad Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by Legendary Entertainment

It flipped tables

Don't cry because it's gone.
Smile because it happened.

BeardGawd

Banned
It was the Disney world for gamers dude :)

One of my biggest gaming regrets that I never got a chance to visit one in person.
Man it was sooo amazing!! Gamers from all over the world nerding out on all the latest games before anyone else. The big 3 would go all out with cool shit plus give aways in their sections. Console reveals were unreal and The hype was insane! The Disney World for Gamers is a pretty apt discription!

Last edited:

Neolombax

Thats a shame. I've always looked forward to E3 back in the day. Would sleep early and wake up in the wee hours in the morning just to watch the presentations live. Now everyone wants to hold their 15-30mins of online presentation and trailer, and call it a showcase. It hits differently really.

This is all Sony's fault.

Not even kidding.

They are the reason we are stuck with blog posts and tweets for all announcements now.

Soon as they pulled out it E3 immediately started to lose its relevance.

Covid didnt help either. 4 years after Sony decided they were too cool for E3, its officially DEAD.

Edit: Nintendo too. With their boring ass directs. Both these companies are to blame.
Or unlike you, Sony stopped living in the past and realized they didn’t have to travel hundreds of people from all their teams, hire expensive stuff for their shows, only to give us videos that would be on YouTube the next minute, which is where 99% of everyone sees them anyway, and not inside that conference room like back in the 90s. Add to that the fact they stopped giving CGI trailers for games coming out in 5 years, and only what’s coming over the next year, so it made no sense to do these bloated 1 hour and half shows.

We get the videos anyway instead of pressuring every damn team out there to have something for that specific week as a made up rule every year, in a time each game has huge development cycles. That’s lost time, lost personnel and resources for no reason for demos and trailers for games years away. Imagine thinking that in 2023 we need to have the same games showing up on E3 for years until they actually come out.

And until they actually come out? We have toxic topics in places like GAF complaining how pre-alpha stuff doesn’t look too good, and people on Twitter examining every damn detail on unfinished products.

It was an outdated format and no one gains anything from it from a marketing perspective. Speaking of marketing cycles, you don’t need years to promote one game. We don’t get news in magazines anymore. Sony saw it first, the others caught up with it.

Top Bottom