• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts about Nintendo Switch so far?

Clarissa

Banned
What I totally don't get is the gold rush on the Switch since the quarantine started.

I do get wanting a video game console to pass the time if you didn't already have one, but the Switch being everyone's choice doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd argue most people would have more fun with a PS4.

From what I've observed amongst my friends and in forums,
Nintendo fans tend to shout from the rooftops and tell eveyone how great the switch is. Playstation/Xbox fans tend to just shut up and play their games.

I have some friends who are Nintendo fanboys and my messages are filled with hundreds of messages daily about the prices of turnips, how great Nintendo is and how much they want Sony to die.

The biggest fanboy participates in Facebook groups and tells people on a daily basis how great the switch is and telling them to buy an extra switch even though they do not need it. He also updates eveyone about when switch is restocked in a game shop and what switch games have been restocked. (He is considered the number 1 Nintendo fanboy in my country and have been interviewed by a news website about his love for Nintendo)

In my group of friends who are neutral (they play the pc, switch, Xbox and ps4), they really just shut their gaps and play whatever they are playing without needing to act like salesmen.

Where I live, the switch and ps4/pro are all sold out in retailers. You'll have to go to an online shop to get them.

TLDR - Switch is a good console/handheld hybrid and Nintendo has really good word of mouth thanks to their fans.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
It's not cheap. $300 is not cheap when you consider that the Xbox One X is now the same price and the PS4 Pro is only $100 more.
you say that like $100 is nothing. Also as was pointed out there maybe people out there who place a high value on portability or modularity of the Switch.

Get over it. Its unique. People have different wants or desires in a device.

Switch hits a lot of boxes that no other deice can even compete with.

TLZ

Banned
you say that like $100 is nothing. Also as was pointed out there maybe people out there who place a high value on portability or modularity of the Switch.

Because it's just an expensive portable. That's all it is.

Zog

Banned

What does that have to do with the description 'cheap'?

Cheap is a comparative term. Cheap compared to what? Other handhelds, other consoles?

daveonezero

Banned
Because it's just an expensive portable. That's all it is.
that's fine and the other options are expensive home consoles. I like games as a medium to show what a huge group of people can do. its an amazing acheivment on so many levels.

To me I'd rather build a PC than the other consoles. The switch is a device that no other thing really could compete with. Sure I could do a powerful tablet or something but there are other issues.

I just don't understand why people don't think others can have differing opinions or value structures that cause them to like one device over another.

TLZ

Banned
that's fine and the other options are expensive home consoles. I like games as a medium to show what a huge group of people can do. its an amazing acheivment on so many levels.

To me I'd rather build a PC than the other consoles. The switch is a device that no other thing really could compete with. Sure I could do a powerful tablet or something but there are other issues.

I just don't understand why people don't think others can have differing opinions or value structures that cause them to like one device over another.
Of course you can have different opinions. It's just some of the opinions are overly exaggerated. With some Nintendo fans, Nintendo's weak and overpriced consoles (after GC) are always seen as the 2nd coming.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Nintendo fans tend to shout from the rooftops and tell eveyone how great the switch is. Playstation/Xbox fans tend to just shut up and play their games.

I have some friends who are Nintendo fanboys and my messages are filled with hundreds of messages daily about the prices of turnips, how great Nintendo is and how much they want Sony to die.

The biggest fanboy participates in Facebook groups and tells people on a daily basis how great the switch is and telling them to buy an extra switch even though they do not need it. He also updates eveyone about when switch is restocked in a game shop and what switch games have been restocked. (He is considered the number 1 Nintendo fanboy in my country and have been interviewed by a news website about his love for Nintendo)

In my group of friends who are neutral (they play the pc, switch, Xbox and ps4), they really just shut their gaps and play whatever they are playing without needing to act like salesmen.

Where I live, the switch and ps4/pro are all sold out in retailers. You'll have to go to an online shop to get them.

TLDR - Switch is a good console/handheld hybrid and Nintendo has really good word of mouth thanks to their fans.

Not in my experience.

Reactions: jts

Zog

Banned
I don't understand people who think a game console is not competing with other game consoles.

ChrisB

What boxes are those?

Outside of being a Nintendo device and its mobility that is.

I sold my switch shortly after purchase as I realized it didnt have a lot of games I want. May pick one up if a few more RPGs drop, else I'll grab one used after its replacement is announced.

Zog

Banned
Of course you can have different opinions. It's just some of the opinions are overly exaggerated. With some Nintendo fans, Nintendo's weak and overpriced consoles (after GC) are always seen as the 2nd coming.

...and the excuse is always that Nintendo isn't really competing with the other companies until there are sales numbers that favor Nintendo (ex, Animal Crossing was the best selling game this week).

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
...and the excuse is always that Nintendo isn't really competing with the other companies until there are sales numbers that favor Nintendo (ex, Animal Crossing was the best selling game this week).
Look, I love Nintendo as much as the next guy. They gave me that spark for gaming love with the Famicom that I still own now. I just don't like the exaggeration. Just tell it like it is.

Zog

Banned
Look, I love Nintendo as much as the next guy. They gave me that spark for gaming love with the Famicom that I still own now. I just don't like the exaggeration. Just tell it like it is.
Me too, I play more Nintendo games than anything else (usually on retro consoles) but the Switch was over-hyped.

Reactions: TLZ

jts

...hate me...
It can be overpriced for you, and that's your opinion. Whether it's overpriced for others or to most it's not a matter of opinion, that's tested by the market and the market says it is not overpriced. Just like it said yes it is overpriced in the case of the Wii U. So now you're just having an "over exaggerated opinion" yourself. Same for weak tbh.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
It can be overpriced for you, and that's your opinion. Whether it's overpriced for others or to most it's not a matter of opinion, that's tested by the market and the market says it is not overpriced. Just like it said yes it is overpriced in the case of the Wii U. So now you're just having an "over exaggerated opinion" yourself. Same for weak tbh.

Is the Switch cheap compared to other handhelds or other consoles?

J-Roderton

It’s a pretty cool console. Really just got into playing it a bit more. My hands cramp up like crazy when playing portable, though.

jts

...hate me...
Is the Switch cheap compared to other handhelds or other consoles?
Definitely. Last generation to get the full Nintendo suite I spent 250+350 (=600) on 3DS and Wii U, this generation I paid 300 to play it all in one place, more conveniently and better, and with a better library as well. So it is objectively cheaper and better for me. If you don't understand this concept of value you will keep scratching your head for a long time as Switch will keep on selling tens of millions more and you'll keep on saying "but it's expensive!".

Clarissa

Banned
It’s a pretty cool console. Really just got into playing it a bit more. My hands cramp up like crazy when playing portable, though.
One of my friends said that the joycons make his hands feel really cramp and the Nintendo fanboy in my group scolded him and said that it's his problem and not the joycon's fault.

daveonezero

Banned
What boxes are those?

Outside of being a Nintendo device and its mobility that is.

I sold my switch shortly after purchase as I realized it didnt have a lot of games I want. May pick one up if a few more RPGs drop, else I'll grab one used after its replacement is announced.

Yeah I don't really know if they exists. Maybe you could say some of the Android phones or Nvidia shield but you are giving up a lot of things. Just like buying a Switch you know going in you give up quite a few things not going with a PS or Xbox. You also gain a few things. Being more powerful isn't even a factor.

Its a value proposition. And yes its not the "most powerful device" on the market but anyone that thinks their console is that is being ignorant. Its just all how you Fram the question. The Switch is "the most powerful" Nintendo console.

With unlimited money of course it would be better to buy a very powerful PC. but most of consumers don't have that type of cash.

And buying the "most powerful console" is just another way to make it seem like the other consoles are better than the Switch.

You can make up any sort of category to make the console you choose to be best but in the end its just cool everyone is gaming.

Zog

Banned
Yeah I don't really know if they exists. Maybe you could say some of the Android phones or Nvidia shield but you are giving up a lot of things. Just like buying a Switch you know going in you give up quite a few things not going with a PS or Xbox. You also gain a few things. Being more powerful isn't even a factor.

Its a value proposition. And yes its not the "most powerful device" on the market but anyone that thinks their console is that is being ignorant. Its just all how you Fram the question. The Switch is "the most powerful" Nintendo console.

With unlimited money of course it would be better to buy a very powerful PC. but most of consumers don't have that type of cash.

And buying the "most powerful console" is just another way to make it seem like the other consoles are better than the Switch.

You can make up any sort of category to make the console you choose to be best but in the end its just cool everyone is gaming.

That's alot of dancing around just to say 'the Switch is the weakest current gen console'. Funny thing is, you can get the strongest current gen console for the same price as the Switch.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Xbox one X for $200? Where?

$300, I am not comparing it to the unSwitchable Switch.

Where: Wal Mart for sure but I heard there was a permanent price drop from $349 to $299. I bought one for $299 from Wall Mart.

Last edited:

Pantz

Wish there was a Switch Pro or Switch 4K or Switch 2 or Switch Home Console Only version. Just using the Switch Lite for now. It's OK, everything is pretty small on the screen.

MagnesG

Banned
No idea I just spend more time playing on the 3DS than the the Switch.
On top of my head Switch do lack Atlus titles, metroid, more SoS and several more niche grid based JRPGs. Other than that, we already have Switch equivalents for some or part of them is otw/releasing coming, Switch even excels more in some genre + console gaming parity.

I have always been a handheld player and having played both extensively, I definitely think Switch already tops 3ds for its library.

That's alot of dancing around just to say 'the Switch is the weakest current gen console'. Funny thing is, you can get the strongest current gen console for the same price as the Switch.
Switch doesn't need a price drop because it still sells, XboX needs that to clear out inventories for next gen consoles unlike PS4 which still have potential to sell a couple of millions more.

Last edited:

Hugare

I love my Switch

It's library is already legendary

But playing it on portable is VERY uncomfortable. Jesus, feels like shit.

That's my only negative, really.

Zog

Banned
On top of my head Switch do lack Atlus titles, metroid, more SoS and several more niche grid based JRPGs. Other than that, we already have Switch equivalents for some or part of them is otw/releasing coming, Switch even excels more in some genre + console gaming parity.

I have always been a handheld player and having played both extensively, I definitely think Switch already tops 3ds for its library.

Switch doesn't need a price drop because it still sells, XboX needs that to clear out inventories for next gen consoles unlike PS4 which still have potential to sell a couple of millions more.
Doesn’t change the fact that the weakest hardware this gen costs the same as the strongest.

MagnesG

Banned
Doesn’t change the fact that the weakest hardware this gen costs the same as the strongest.
Doesn't change the fact but context matters, what's your point on preaching this statement then? Strongest doesn't mean shit if there's not much exclusive games to play if we're talking about value proposition here with next gen is also on the way.

You can't play the Switch library on the strongest current gen console.

Ogbert

Started fantastically, has tailed off since.

Adored BoTW and Odyssey, but since then, it's stuttered. Then again, I still play loads of Mario Kart and Splatoon.

The homepage needs themes and the eShop is chock full of absolute dogshit.

The thing is, no matter how Nintendo fuck things up, they still produce the only place where you can play Nintendo games, so that's that.

Vawn

Banned
You can play some of it on The Xbox.

But very few actually are better on Xbox and lose the handheld aspect. Heck, both Ori and Cuphead actually look and run better on Switch than Xbox One.

But, Nintendo has first-party Nintendo games, which is a lot more impressive than Xbox exclusives.

I do agree if you're playing Doom or The Witcher 3 on Switch, you're doing it wrong. But as a whole, Switch is worth its price much more than Xbox simply because it has better games.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Underwhelming? Most exclusives on it aren't really worth it (Arms is pretty cool though) Mario Odyssey is a incredibly dull game imo and is a retread of previous games, Botw feels less like Zelda and more like a survival game with ubisoft-inspired openworld elements, ports are late and don't perform well for most of the time, no virtual console, no big exciting MMO on the thing, third party is low level Indies or niche wacky Japanese games that go under the radar, the button placement doesn't feel good.

foxGlove

Neo Member
I really adore my switch, it's perfect for me. people always complain that the joy-cons are way too small for them. but not for my little tiny hand. (my hand is really small, some compare them to kids').

its only drawback is the drifting joy-con issue, I got 2 pairs of joy-cons and both of 'em have it.
furthermore, since I don't live in the US, I couldn't send them for free repair from Nintendo. had to replace the joystick myself.

Ceadeus

I am really surprised that even after three years, Mario Odyssey is still the only game that I'd want to play on that system.
The rest is stuff I have on the Wii U or on other consoles/PC.

I just wanted to wait until there were five games that I'd wanted to play there, but that never happened so I never bought one.

Yeah they have been underwhelming. Even the first party are meh compared to previous generations.

Athena~

Banned
Yeah they have been underwhelming. Even the first party are meh compared to previous generations.
Compared to the Wii U? Switch got every Wii U titles so there's no way it's worse.
Compared to the Wii? Ring Fit > Wii Fit. Zelda BOTW > Zelda :TP. Animal Crossing NH > Animal Crossing CF. Fire Emblem TH > Fire Emblem RD. Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart Wii. Mario Odyseey > Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Splatoon 2 > ??. Xenoblade DE > Xenoblade.

So yeah, Switch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> previous gens. Nintendo is back to true form and being the best they have ever been.

Saruhashi

Banned
What I totally don't get is the gold rush on the Switch since the quarantine started.

I do get wanting a video game console to pass the time if you didn't already have one, but the Switch being everyone's choice doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd argue most people would have more fun with a PS4.

Depends on people's circumstances.

In this lockdown situation specifically it's not feasible for me to hog the TV all day long and I am only sharing with my wife.
We have multiple TVs in the house but it feels odd for us to sit in separate rooms all day compared to both sitting on the sofa doing our own thing.
She can watch her stuff on TV and I can get a few hours on whatever I am playing and we are still hanging out.

For others I am sure the situation is one where there might be one TV in the house with 2 or 3 or more people looking to use it so having a Switch while in quarantine is pretty handy.

Yeah, you may have more fun with a PS4 if you can actually have an opportunity to use it.

From day one though I felt like one of the advantages of owning a Switch was simply that I now have more time to play games because it's not hooked up to one TV in one room.

A lot of good opportunities for Co-op play too if you have the original Switch.

Saruhashi

Banned

To be fair, anyone who has visited this forum and given it even a brief glance in the last few months knows that this talk of PS and XBOX fans just staying quiet is complete and utter bullshit.

The ban history page shows that in the past weeks more and more bans are being handed out and the majority of those are for console warring between Sony and MS brands.

One guy is a massive Nintendo fan who tells other people when the console is in stock. Oh my god what a terrible dude.
Of course no XBox fan would EVER do something like post spoilers for an upcoming PS exclusive all over the place. No no no. They just stay quiet and only play games.

93xfan

Banned
Switch is a perfectly fine console that gets more love than it deserves, imo.

It's great for indies. Nintendo first party games just aren't what they once were, generally. And other than that, it's a bunch of ancient ports that they want $20 or $30 for.

Loved Mario Kart 8 and BotW.

im just hoping we get those 3D Mario remasters this year. There’s so many good classics they can and hopefully will release

Ceadeus

Compared to the Wii U? Switch got every Wii U titles so there's no way it's worse.
Compared to the Wii? Ring Fit > Wii Fit. Zelda BOTW > Zelda :TP. Animal Crossing NH > Animal Crossing CF. Fire Emblem TH > Fire Emblem RD. Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart Wii. Mario Odyseey > Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Splatoon 2 > ??. Xenoblade DE > Xenoblade.

So yeah, Switch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> previous gens. Nintendo is back to true form and being the best they have ever been.

It is all about personal preferences. They are all good games but I preferred the previous Zelda formula. Animal crossing stayed the same, still not able to do online properly by letting people join randoms. I don't like the monastery and the romance in Fire Emblem, it cuts the pace. Mario odyssey better than Galaxy? I don't know :/ was quite easy all the way to the end. It's good though. Splatoon 2, good fun yeah, more of the same . Xenoblade , well they're all good.

I don't dislike port, what I dislike is that Nintendo charge full price. Nintendo still havn't fixed joy cons drifting issue, I've had to buy a new hair, 115$ tax included. The switch also has lot less features than the WiiUn terrible eshop.. I mean, it's nothing new right. It's a neat system, its library is full of cool surprised but there's a good couple of things I wish were different.

Moogle11

Banned

Animal Crossing would have jumps sales some even without this as it’s a franchise that has fans that play little or nothing else.

Theres probably a lot of people with only one tv in the house/apartment who don’t want to hoard it/fight for screen time. And parents wanting to occupy their kids without taking up a TV.

Amory

Animal Crossing would have jumps sales some even without this as it’s a franchise that has fans that play little or nothing else.

Theres probably a lot of people with only one tv in the house/apartment who don’t want to hoard it/fight for screen time. And parents wanting to occupy their kids without taking up a TV.
I'm sure animal crossing played a part, sure. But mostly I think it's just that people who aren't regular gamers equate Nintendo with video games and don't even really consider Sony or Microsoft. And there's nothing wrong with that, lord knows Nintendo has earned that reputation over the years and they're the kings of nostalgia.

I think people who are just now looking to jump into a console reflexively look for the newest Nintendo thing, because the last console they owned was the Wii, and before that it was probably an N64 or SNES.

"What system has the new Mario Kart?"

Top Bottom