• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your game of the year for 2021?

Ceadeus

Gold Member
IMO, overall this has been a really bad year for software. I own a Switch, PS5, and a Quest 2. Across the board I could count the really great titles in one hand. The Virus is a big reason why.

I don't care for the franchise games like Call of Duty, Madden, Battlefield, etc anymore due to be being burned out on them ages ago.

My runner up Game: Ratchet and Clank: A rift apart. Easy to argue it's the prettiest game ever made but the more important part is it's just pure Fun. A story line that doesn't take itself too seriously, Silky Smooth 60 fps gameplay, An interesting Upgrade/currency system, it's simply a joy to play.

My GAME OF THE YEAR FOR 2021: This is a shocker but most will not play it. This game takes and old outdated game and totally makes it feel like a new experience. The original was GOTY when it released but playing this in First person mode along with being inside the world totally makes it feel like a new experience. I haven't had fun playing a game like this in a long time. A classic remade. RESIDENT EVIL 4 VR FOR QUEST 2 is my GOTY for 2021.
Same goty for me as well. With mercenaries coming up early 2022, I really hope the same team to port RE5 with online co-op... omg

So good

james franco GIF

I haven't played many games that came out this year, so my pick is Nier Replicant for obvious reasons.

Fantasian is a close second. This game really blew me away with the combat and music.

As for games that came out before but are strong contenders for GOTY: FFXII TZA, MGSV, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

tommib

It’s been an amazing year for gameplay lovers. Not so much for 3rd-person cinematic semi-open-world narrative-driven nonsense that’s all the rage these days.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Psychonauts 2 is my favorite experience this year.

Honorable mentions:
Shin Megami Tensei V
It Takes Two
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

Still haven't played:
Returnal (can't find a PS5)
Ratchet and Clank (same)
Deathloop (haven't had time, but own it)
Halo Infinite (later)

FR1908

1 - Metroid Dread
2 - Halo Infinite MP
3 - Resident Evil Village
4 - Forza Horizon 5
5 - Streets of Rage 4 - Mr. X Nightmare DLC
6 - Cyber Shadow
7 - Microsoft Flight Simulator
8 - The Artful Escape
9 - Bowser's Fury
10 - Omno

Halo Infinite might switch places with Metroid, so tbc

Still need to play Returnal, Death's Door, Control Ultimate Edition, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Hades, The Ascent, It Takes Two (tm) and Twelve Minutes

ez3c

Neo Member
For me it was a slow year due to work and family commitments.

• GOTY : Returnal
    • Amazing experience. I have never been so frustrated with a game before but the sense of accomplishment after beating it was the best
  • Runner Up : Metroid Dread
    • A bit short, however it was a great experience while it lasted. I cannot wait for what comes next for Metroid
  • Honorable Mention 1 : Quake Remastered
    • brought me back to the days when I first started getting into PC gaming.
  • Honorable Mention 2 : Resident Evil Village
    • brought me back to the RE series I had not experienced since the PS1 days

marjo

Psychonauts 2 is most likely my GOTY. Runners up would be It Takes Two, Forza Horizon 5, Inscryption, and Outriders. Halo Infinite may join that list, though I don't know yet.

Raven117

Endwalker I suppose.

It was a weak year for me. MH:Rise was nice. TWENTY was nice. Yakuza Like a Dragon (may have came out last year) was great. Finally got around to playing Judgement (great).

But yeah....Looking forward to next year quite a bit.

CitizenZ

Banned
Cant name one, but mostly my time when to new devs, new IPs, lot of new genres I never was interested and majority, very high majority, kept me playing.

AmuroChan

Still deciding, but so far my list of 5 are:

Persona 5 Strikers
Hitman 3
Ratchet & Clank
The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki
Halo: Infinite

Yamisan

End Walker followed by Tales of Arise followed by Guardians of the Galexy.

( I don't count remakes\remasters )

Last edited:
Baldo: The Guardian Owls
I really dig the aesthetic, sound design, story, and vibe in the game. Mechanically it is mediocre, but I really enjoyed my time with it. It made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning again.

Honorable mention to Psychonauts 2 for outstanding modern platforming.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
CP2077. I have had a good time with games this year, however nothing this year rose to the level of that experience. Sucks for those that had to suffer through the last-gen version of the game as it was one of the best narrative journey's I've ever had. Can't wait for the DLC and hope we get a long-term open-ended online experience in that world.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
IMO, overall this has been a really bad year for software. I own a Switch, PS5, and a Quest 2. Across the board I could count the really great titles in one hand. The Virus is a big reason why.

I don't care for the franchise games like Call of Duty, Madden, Battlefield, etc anymore due to be being burned out on them ages ago.

My runner up Game: Ratchet and Clank: A rift apart. Easy to argue it's the prettiest game ever made but the more important part is it's just pure Fun. A story line that doesn't take itself too seriously, Silky Smooth 60 fps gameplay, An interesting Upgrade/currency system, it's simply a joy to play.

My GAME OF THE YEAR FOR 2021: This is a shocker but most will not play it. This game takes and old outdated game and totally makes it feel like a new experience. The original was GOTY when it released but playing this in First person mode along with being inside the world totally makes it feel like a new experience. I haven't had fun playing a game like this in a long time. A classic remade. RESIDENT EVIL 4 VR FOR QUEST 2 is my GOTY for 202
Im very excited to play RE 4 VR. Getting the system for Christmas and it will be my first VR game.

My GOTY now is Metroid Dread by a large margin.. one of the finest action games ever made, up there with Ninja Gaiden Black.

I have many other contenders to play

Im very excited to play RE 4 VR. Getting the system for Christmas and it will be my first VR game.

My GOTY now is Metroid Dread by a large margin.. one of the finest action games ever made, up there with Ninja Gaiden Black.

I have many other contenders to play still. Busy year.
Man you are in for a treat. The Quest 2 is awesome by itself but Resident Evil 4 is insane. Kinda Jealous that you get to experience it fresh but you will love it.

"I will buy it at a high price!"

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Returnal was a solid game but brutal as fuck. There was nothing like being on a 4 hour run and the game would randomly throw a bio dome wth a shit ton of enemies to take you down quick.

The main complaint was the story. The way they told it was weird as fuck and good luck making much sense of it. I put 40 hours into it and still had many questions.

1.) Lost Judgment
2.) Guilty Gear Strive
3.) Shin Megami Tensei V
4.) Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
5.) Hitman 3
6.) No More Heroes III
7.) Oddworld Soulstorm
8.) Super Mario 3D World - (first time ever playing...had a great time with it.)
9.) Resident Evil: Village
10.) Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - the netcode may still suck but I'm just happy to have VF back.

Still haven't played Kena, Forza Horizon 5, Far Cry 6, Guardians of the Galaxy among others...but of what I have played? Those are my 10 faves from this year.

Last edited:
Loved Psychonauts 2 and I loved Forza Horizon 5. I've always gravitated to racing games as far back as I can remember so that's my pick. I'm enjoying Halo so far but I haven't played long enough to call it GOTY material.

V4skunk

Banned
Probably Halo. Not played it yet though but soon.
Currently my picks are Binding of Isaac Repentance and Age of Empires 4.

Top Bottom