• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Assassin's Creed title.

Which?

• Assassin's Creed (2007)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Assassin's Creed 2 (2009)

Votes: 82 27.2%
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations (2011)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Assassin's Creed 3 (2012)

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (2013)

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Assassin's Creed: Rogue (2014)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity (2014)

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (2015)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins (2017)

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (2018)

Votes: 44 14.6%
  • Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (2020)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Potatoes!

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)(2009)

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

Tschumi

I have a weird relationship with AC. I loved AC 1, 2, think i skipped brotherhood, loved Revelations... Hugely. But I've completely failed to get into any title since. I've tried. I've started multiple playthroughs of Black Flag, Unity, Origins and Odyssey, but I've generally lost interest about 2 hours in to every playthrough.

Why?

I dunno, for me personally i think the gameplay is simplistic, and doesn't live up to/fill up the beautiful worlds it's set in, causing those worlds to feel shallow. I think games like The Witcher 3 and RDR2 ruined me for AC. The earlier titles aren't too pretentious in their ambitions so they pass this litmus test...

SO that means my choice for this poll is AC 2.

What about you?... Tell us why...

Last edited:

skit_data

AC1 was pretty good, AC2 was way better and then they repeated the formula too much with Brotherhood and Revelations so I quit at AC3. Came back to the series with Origins, didn’t like it so I haven’t bothered with any other installments.

Edit: Ah, I actually tried Black Flag before Origins as well, realized the mechanics felt dated and didn’t bother. Damn, I actually bought 7 AC games and the only thing I can say about the series is that they were decent back in the PS3 days.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Black Flag, repetitive as it was because the sailing was still fresh and fun. Rogue comes next, if only to finally get a chance to put a few Assassins down. I haven't played any since the big ARPG shift.

Honestly, the series would be much better if Ubi just stopped trying to write the Assassins as a bunch of boysvouts. The writing is usually so hamfisted that it makes me want to root for someone, anyone else. Blackbeard whining about "Med'cines" for his men as he died just about had me crying laughing.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Origins > 2/Brotherhood > Black Flag > AC > Everything Else

If you can't feel the magic in the stories of Bayek, Ezio and Al'ta'ir, then I don't know what else to say. Unity looked very impressive even with its parkour and sword play but the story was really shit. So why did I choose Origins over Ezio's story;

There is literally nothing you can't ask for in Origins; the world, the theistic elements, culture, ancient Egyptian mythology. Ubisoft really did a number, not only did they add in so many real life places in the game, but Bayek and Aya are such amazing characters in their own right. Seeing Bayek hold on to the old ways versus when the Greeks and Roman influence was also amazing. It is also one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.

The reason I didn't call it Ezio's trifecta is because Revelations bungled it up in the Ottoman's Dynasty, choosing a time of Salim's death to where Suleiman eventually becomes King, but it was so disconnected, like why base it off Istanbul? It is an iconic time to show the former Holy Roman Empire in the hands of the Turkic dynasty, but something felt off. If it wasn't for finishing both my favorite protags stories (Ezio and Al'tair) I would have given the game an average rating.

Black Flag had its own magic in the Carribean, there was something really amazing about the world, however I don't give a shit about Edward (I don't even consider him an Assassin), they could have just made this a pirate game with its own story and it would have done great.

AC1 will always have a special place in my heart because the Crusades are my favorite times; Salahuddin is my personal hero and to see it come to an end in the Holy Land to the Abrahamic faiths (I will visit it one day) with King Richard's arrival gave me goosebumps. It just has its own charm. If they remade AC1 today with a revamped playing engine and more involved story from Bloodlines, I would probably put it on par with Origins.

Yes, you'd have to love history, geography and those known at this time to love the AC Games. Odyssey is by far the worst game I have played outside of Rogue and Syndicate. WTF were they thinking?

Nico_D

Brotherhood without a doubt. But the whole quadrilogy from 2 to 3 even though the quality wasn't that even. But AC3 isn't that bad if you just follow the critical path and forget everything else.

Unity is my second favorite after Brotherhood. Criminally underrated because of the bad launch.

Last edited:

Tschumi

i'm pretty psyched to see a wide spread of choices, i was worried black flag would hoover up all the votes or something, this is a nice result...

Bloodlines deserves some love as well, it was an amazing achievement for Playstation Portable.
do u want me to chuck it on the poll? :)

stranno

do u want me to chuck it on the poll? :)
I would vote for it xD

But it is certainly not comparable to the main series, it was very short and it had a smaller scope. But still impressive, compared to Altair's Chronicles or Discovery on Symbian/iOS/DS.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Unity.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Fahdis

Brotherhood without a doubt. But the whole quadrilogy from 2 to 3 even though the quality wasn't that even. But AC3 isn't that bad if you just follow the critical path and forget everything else.

Unity is my second favorite after Brotherhood. Criminally underrated because of the bad launch.

AC3 used to be the worst on my list, but then I gave it another chance. Fuck, Connor is a fucking beast, he's the silent type who gives less words and more action, his motivations and the story is actually pretty great, not to mention his battle axe and fighting mechanics in AC3 are probably one of the best in the whole series outside of Unity.

Tschumi

AC1 was pretty good, AC2 was way better and then they repeated the formula too much with Brotherhood and Revelations so I quit at AC3. Came back to the series with Origins, didn’t like it so I haven’t bothered with any other installments.

Edit: Ah, I actually tried Black Flag before Origins as well, realized the mechanics felt dated and didn’t bother. Damn, I actually bought 7 AC games and the only thing I can say about the series is that they were decent back in the PS3 days.
u and me both bro i own like every one but valhalla (not really) and everything after AC2/Revelations has got about 10 hours of gameplay between them :p

This thread is motivating me to give Origins a red hot go, though

I am in love with the visuals in Unity, I think their architectural graphics engine in that game is insane, it's gorgeous, and i don't mind the main character either, i just, yeah like i said in the OP--

AC3 used to be the worst on my list, but then I gave it another chance. Fuck, Connor is a fucking beast, he's the silent type who gives less words and more action, his motivations and the story is actually pretty great, not to mention his battle axe and fighting mechanics in AC3 are probably one of the best in the whole series outside of Unity.
did u try the remaster? does it elevate it?

Last edited:

Fahdis

u and me both bro i own like every one but valhalla (not really) and everything after AC2/Revelations has got about 10 hours of gameplay between them :p

This thread is motivating me to give Origins a red hot go, though

I am in love with the visuals in Unity, I think their architectural graphics engine in that game is insane, it's gorgeous, and i don't mind the main character either, i just, yeah like i said in the OP--

did u try the remaster? does it elevate it?

I would say AC3 has the most boring world aka the Americas, however, if you add the homestead missions, do the challenges as intended and play the game for what it is within the context of the world, it becomes pretty great. Besides Kenway's and Connor's story is pretty damn great outside of the main plot which was surprisingly pretty damn good the second time around. And I think the remaster is just as good as the original, I didn't feel much of a difference. But combat itself is another beast. Connor's animations were done amazingly well especially for the multi-kills.

Tschumi

I would say AC3 has the most boring world aka the Americas, however, if you add the homestead missions, do the challenges as intended and play the game for what it is within the context of the world, it becomes pretty great. Besides Kenway's and Connor's story is pretty damn great outside of the main plot which was surprisingly pretty damn good the second time around. And I think the remaster is just as good as the original, I didn't feel much of a difference. But combat itself is another beast. Connor's animations were done amazingly well especially for the multi-kills.
i've got a thing for pre-colonial/colonial us settings, i think it's because they're always depicted during autumn or a cold spring with a lot of fog and big weather, which are like my favourite weather conditions :p

i might give it a try if i find it on sale

Topher

Gold Member
AC 2
AC Brotherhood
AC 4: Black Flag
AC Unity
AC Syndicate
AC Valhalla
AC Origins and Odyssey
AC Rogue
AC

Not bothering to list AC 3 or Revelations. Hated them both. AC4, Unity, and Syndicate are all tied for me really. All three were good and brought something different in gameplay.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Odyssey, Origin's then Black Flag, the only 1 i didn't like and stopped playing was 3, the gameplay was just annoying for me,

i like the older titles, but prefer the newer open world games although Valhalla wasn't as good as the previous 2 imo. i loved the setting though.

Eilonwy

Neo Member
Does new members not allowed to vote? Weird, i don't see an option to vote.
Anyways, from the old formula it is Assassin's Creed 2, from the new formula it is Odyssey.

Tschumi

Does new members not allowed to vote? Weird, i don't see an option to vote.
Anyways, from the old formula it is Assassin's Creed 2, from the new formula it is Odyssey.
It's true, i think you can't vote, make 100 posts in your first month and you'll become a full member

brian0057

Banned
The original from 2007.
The only game in the series that actually lives up to its nomenclature. Basically a Hitman game set in the Crusades.

Now it's just whatever the fuck it's selling at the moment. And today it's being a shitty copy of The Witcher 3.
Black Flag should've been its own game instead of being lazily bolted on to the franchise.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Probably Black Flag for me. I enjoyed the setting, story and characters. I'm aware it was very much a pirate game first and an AC game second but that didn't harm my enjoyment. AC2, obviously is a classic but it felt like a refinement of the first game (which I found a bit of a chore).

I am currently working my way through AC Valhalla.
Too early to form a solid opinion of it...it's harder work for one thing and I think it's going to be a game I have to be determined to finish rather than one I "enjoy" finishing.
The art direction is great though and it is basically "The Last Kingdom - The Game", so that's a point in its favour.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
i've got a thing for pre-colonial/colonial us settings, i think it's because they're always depicted during autumn or a cold spring with a lot of fog and big weather, which are like my favourite weather conditions :p

Just prepare yourself to get past some pretty horrible Native American dialogue for the first thirty minutes to an hour. I remember thinking it was as if the game producers had gone out and hired any Native American they could find and have them read the script out loud. Painful.

DelireMan7

I won't vote since I have played only the 6 first one and plan to play them all eventually.
I started last year with the full Desmond Saga and played Black Flag this year.

I am all into atmosphere and "personality" so for me the first Assassin's Creed is by far the best. Yes it has very little diversity in mission but the tone is just perfect for me.
I love the graphical ambiance and the modern day story is really nice. And Altaïr's personal story is the only one so far I could care about.
I don't say Ezio, Connor or Edward have shit story, but it was more a nuisance for me because I really wanted more about the modern day stuff, assassin vs templar lore and the ancient civilization.

Black Flag would came second in my ranking. The boat and pirates mechanic are extremely enjoyable. We get less and less modern day and Assassins vs Templar stuff but still a nice trip.

I see why Assassin's Creed 2 is so highly praised and while I quite enjoyed it, Ezio was unlikable for me and they turn the visuals to "videogamey" for me (Really bright and colorful environment with oversaturated colors for HUD that do not fit the rest of the visuals). But it was nice to follow the same character for 3 games and we get some massive lore. Brotherhood is by far the best of the 3.

Next to play is Rogue. Really looking forward for Unity and Origins (and Valhalla actually)

Fahdis

Lived in Canada most of my life. Spare me bro 🤣

Fahdis

Lol, did you forget AC Liberation in there? The only main female Assassin solo is missing. Reeee would like a word with you 🤣

2 or Black Flag for me.

I think Black Flag is the best one that made the games a bit more open ended with the world. Assassin's Creed 2 is the best overall story and game to play for me as I was invested in Ezio.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed 2, hands down. It's the most relevant one story wise and at the time improved on everything when compared to the first one.

Black Flag is also damn good, but pretty meh narrative wise.

Tschumi

Assassin's Creed 2, hands down. It's the most relevant one story wise and at the time improved on everything when compared to the first one.

Black Flag is also damn good, but pretty meh narrative wise.
When i play later ac games i always feel awkward during modern interludes because I'm like "where tf did desmond go?" I should really catch up

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
If you applied Unity's parkour system to all games it'd be harder for me to pick, but Unity's parkour was so good and it's graphics insanely top notch, it's a toss up between Unity and Origins.

Top Bottom