• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You won't believe which words Merriam-Webster added to dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

Emoji (noun): any of various small images, symbols, or icons used in text fields in electronic communication (as in text messages, e-mail and social media) to express the emotional attitude of the writer, convey information succinctly, communicate a message playfully without using words, etc.

Meme (noun): an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture.

NSFW (abbreviation): not safe for work; not suitable for work — used to warn someone that a website, e-mail attachment, etc., is not suitable for viewing at most places of employment.

WTF (abbreviation): what the f—, used especially to express or describe outraged surprise, recklessness, confusion or bemusement.

Photobomb (verb): to move into the frame of a photograph as it is being taken as a joke or prank.

Clickbait (noun): something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink, especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest.

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/blog/2015/05/a-growth-spurt/

Coolluck

Yes, yes. Clickbait, indeed. I'm actually ok with these words. They're not really bastardizations of anything and they're used quite often.

Salsa

I never get the outrage at these

it's a dictionary. these are words that are used

that's the point of a dictionary

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Are they not words that are used that deserve to be defined and included in the dictionary?

Just because they don't have Latin roots doesn't mean they are less of a word.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Congratz to Dawkins to get a word he made up in the dictionary.

That's not a common achievement.

Are they not words that are used that deserve to be defined and included in the dictionary?

Just because they don't have Latin roots doesn't mean they are less of a word.

Yeah I don't understand why people only want words made before this century in the dictionary. That's the point of a dictionary.

Matty77

Beyond the joke in the title, this is actually one of the more solid round of updates of my adulthood. They are all pretty revalent to the culture we have built on a wider scale, more than just slang, and I doubt they fall out of usage if we keep heading down the evolutionary path we are on.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I never get the outrage at these

it's a dictionary. these are words that are used

that's the point of a dictionary
Yea. I have a friend, lets call him Mike cause that's his name, who isn't computer savvy at all, doesnt know what a forum is and he uses the word meme in the correct context. I think its safe to say that these words have entered the common vernacular.

not very surprising. I'm I the only one upset that emoji has replaced emoticon? I don't like how all they common folk think they can swoop in and change long standing terminology like that.

DopeToast

Banned
Clever title, OP.

I like when dictionaries do this. Don't ignore slang and how people talk. Let language grown naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom