• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 150 new words to get added to the dictionary this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Oxford English Dictionary recognises 'tweeps' but not tweep:

Twitter + peeps, that makes some sense at least.

Never heard anyone use it though.

But that just seems like making up a word just to make up a word. "Twitter followers" describes exactly that and anyone who has ever used twitter knows what it means.

poutine (n., 1982): chiefly Canada: a dish of French fries covered with brown gravy and cheese curds

Poutine getting some much-deserved recognition, it's about damn time. Always about the poutine.

Seth C

Baby bump is ridiculous. It's not a new word. It's two words used in a sentence, a phrase, using already established definitions for both words. It's literally a bump caused by a baby.

terrisus

Baby bump is ridiculous. It's not a new word. It's two words used in a sentence, a phrase, using already established definitions for both words. It's literally a bump caused by a baby.

<insert debate about when it actually becomes a "baby" here>

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not a scholar, but I don't understand how many of these are just two unjoined words. Why are these in the dictionary? Aren't they phrases? Why not have 3 or 4 or 5 word specific meaning phrases then? Why not whole sentences?

Just seems weird to me.

riotous

Banned
Interesting that "brilliant" used to describe an object was considered slang before this.

edit: And it's not abnormal for compound nouns to be made up of two words. Why is this shocking to people? Have you never read through a dictionary?

riotous

Banned
"brilliant" used to describe an object?

"That lightbulb is brilliant."

Yeah yeah.. I was obviously referring to the "highly intelligent" version of the word. It's really used as a sort of shorthand for "the person responsible for this is brilliant" but used to describe the "this" not the person.

ampere

I'd say Merriam-Webster is pretty irrelevant in the modern day. All that matters is that your audience understands the 'words' you use. It doesn't matter if auto-tune is in a dictionary, you wouldn't use it in a paper about hydroelectricity, but you absolutely would in a paper about pop music production.

Kerned

Banned
I live in Michigan and have never heard of this word until just now.
That surprises me! What part are you from? Have you lived here long? It's not a word I ever use (it's silly sounding and I never need to refer to people who live up there), but I've been familiar with it basically my whole life.

Resilient

Maisie Williams reaction to the fact that “selfie” was chosen as Oxford’s word of the year 2013:

kxTUAly.gif

http://i.imgur.com/adhVBP7.gif[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wuwjBfo.gif[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Q6VdYTc.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

Who the hell is this and why should anyone care?!

Please Revengeance next year !!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wait, brilliant as in excellent is only getting added to the dictionary now? I know it's an American dictionary, but that use of the word has been around for ages. o_O

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah "baby bump" is a silly addition, it's two words.

So is "social networking" and "spoiler alert". Some are just... phrases.

I feel like only now dictionaries are adding a whole bunch of words now (that will doubtfully keep being used for too many years...) but how was this back years ago? Did slang words like "gnarly" and "cowabunga" make it in there? Have there always been phrase-type words that aren't even compound words, but just two words.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I feel like only now dictionaries are adding a whole bunch of words now (that will doubtfully keep being used for too many years...) but how was this back years ago? Did slang words like "gnarly" and "cowabunga" make it in there? Have there always been phrase-type words that aren't even compound words, but just two words.

"Yadda Yadda Yadda" was added to the dictionary back in the 90s because of Seinfeld.

riotous

Banned
They are called compound nouns.

It's really nothing new.

And no, they aren't self explanatory. Baby bump equates to a woman's belly because you know the context. Otherwise is it a bump on a baby? Bumping into a baby?

It's a compound noun because the 2 words used together have a unique meaning more specific than the 2 generic words.

Tracking the meaning of words is what dictionaries do. It's nothing to get annoyed at.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Don't know how that definition of brilliant didn't get tacked on a long time ago. Long before buzzwords and other internet words at least.

I don't know who that kid is either, but boy Steven Seagal looks old and young at the same time.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Everyone knows the Americano lexicon is deficient but come on now.

I had never heard it used that way until I watched The Office, in 2007 or so.

And even then, it seems like 80% of the time it could be interpreted as the high intelligence meaning, just like if someone said "Genius!".

Seth C

Social networking as a phrase has a different meaning than simply combining the two words. There is a (slight) difference in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom