• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 150 new words to get added to the dictionary this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Via Time

Merriam-Webster has revealed 150 new words that will be added to its collegiate dictionary this year, ranging from 'hashtag' and 'catfish' to 'dubstep' and 'crowdfunding,' most of which speak to some intersection of pop culture, technology and the Internet

Today Merriam-Webster, America’s best known keeper of words, announced new entries for their collegiate dictionary in 2014. Among them are telling specimens like selfie, hashtag and steampunk, reflecting lasting cultural obsessions that have become widespread enough to earn a place in the big red book.

Here is a selection of the new words, with their definitions and the earliest year Merriam-Webster editors could find them being used:

Auto-Tune (v., 2003): to adjust or alter (a recording of a voice) with Auto-Tune software or other audio-editing software esp. to correct sung notes that are out of tune

baby bump (n., 2003): the enlarged abdomen of a pregnant woman

brilliant (adj., new sense): British: very good, excellent

catfish (n., new sense): a person who sets up a false personal profile on a social networking site for fraudulent or deceptive purposes

crowdfunding (n., 2006): the practice of soliciting financial contributions from a large number of people esp. from the online community

dubstep (n., 2002): a type of electronic dance music having prominent bass lines and syncopated drum patterns

e-waste (n., 2004): waste consisting of discarded electronic products (as computers, televisions, and cell phones)

fangirl (n., 1934): a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

freegan (n., 2006): an activist who scavenges for free food (as in waste receptacles at stores and restaurants) as a means of reducing consumption of resources

gamification (n., 2010): the process of adding game or gamelike elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation

hashtag (n., 2008): a word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that clarifies or categorizes the accompanying text (such as a tweet)

hot spot (n., new sense): a place where a wireless Internet connection is available

paywall (n., 2004): a system that prevents Internet users from accessing certain Web content without a paid subscription

selfie (n., 2002): an image of oneself taken by oneself using a digital camera esp. for posting on social networks.

social networking (n., 1998): the creation and maintenance of personal and business relationships esp. online

spoiler alert
(n., 1994): a reviewer’s warning that a plot spoiler is about to be revealed

steampunk (n., 1987): science fiction dealing with 19th-century societies dominated by historical or imagined steam-powered technology

turducken (n., 1982): a boneless chicken stuffed into a boneless duck stuffed into a boneless turkey

tweep (n., 2008): a person who uses the Twitter online message service to send and receive tweets

unfriend (v., 2003): to remove (someone) from a list of designated friends on a person’s social networking Web site

More at the link. Some of these are terrible.

Volimar

Maisie Williams reaction to the fact that “selfie” was chosen as Oxford’s word of the year 2013:

kxTUAly.gif

adhVBP7.gif

wuwjBfo.gif

Q6VdYTc.gif

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Mostly that I hate them and hoped they were just catch phrases that would never be legitimized. Baby bump for example.

Dictionaries don't create language. They record how language is used.

It hasn't always meant that?!
For me, brilliant has always just meant very intelligent. But with more british media making it over to the US(Mirriam Webster is an American dictionary), you hear it to mean Great more and more now.

Tregard

Soothsayer
For me, brilliant has always just meant very intelligent. But with more british media making it over to the US(Mirriam Webster is an American dictionary), you hear it to mean Great more and more now.

Aah, I never realised that was a British-ism.

Kerned

Banned
Yooper (n., 1977): a native or resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan — used as a nickname

Surprised to see that this one is just now finding its way in. Maybe I have a different perspective because I live in Michigan (though I am not a Yooper).

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
Maisie Williams reaction to the fact that “selfie” was chosen as Oxford’s word of the year 2013:

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/kxTUAly.gif[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/adhVBP7.gif[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/wuwjBfo.gif[/IMG]

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/Q6VdYTc.gif[/IMG]

Can she react to GIFs being split into 8000 different pieces next?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Has anyone on the planet ever used this word? I thought everybody referred to twitter users as "twitter users."

The Oxford English Dictionary recognises 'tweeps' but not tweep:

A person’s followers on the social media website Twitter:
he told his tweeps he was going to a Bruce Springsteen concert
millions of tweeps follow their every tweet

Twitter + peeps, that makes some sense at least.

Never heard anyone use it though.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
the word selfie drives me crazy. its a fucking photograph, it always has been

Of course selfie is a photo, that's part of its meaning, but it also means something different than just 'photo'. The word describes something that previously we didn't have a word for. I think that's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom