• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrabble adds 6500 new words - lotsa ridic twerking emojis lolz buzzkill blech wahh

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
This year, there are 6500 new words in the new Collins Official Scrabble Words dictionary (the version commonly used for world tournaments and tournaments outside of North America), and 5000 new words in the standard Official Scrabble Dictionary. Both are officially used Scrabble dictionaries.

Collins adds words like lotsa, ridic, twerking, emojis, lolz, blech, wahh and more:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...cial-scrabble-book-adds-lotsa-ridic-new-words

Now a new version of Collins Official Scrabble Words has been published, adding 6,500 new words to the popular board game’s approved list – which already runs to 250,000 – including modern slang, technological terms and “onomatopoeic interjections”.

So now if your bezzy is beating you, you can utilise lotsa new words in order to stay dench (excellent, the grime artist Lethal Bizzle’s phrase of choice). If you got those three in, you would earn 18, 5 and 11 points respectively.

As well as slang (obvs, ridic, lolz, and the US rap inspired shizzle), there are new words from recent society and culture. You can now play words like devo (as in devolution/devo max), twerking (“a type of dance involving rapid hip movement”), onesie, vape (inhaling from an electronic cigarette) and podiumed, the past participle used frequently in the Olympic Games.

Technology’s deepening involvement with our lives is reflected with words like hashtag, facetime (the Apple video calling feature), tweep (one who tweets) and sexting. Hacktivist (someone who hacks computer systems for political reasons) is also a new addition, referring to groups like Anonymous. Also included are so-called onomatopoeic interjections, with augh, blech, grr, waah and yeesh lending their situational help to Scrabblers.

“Dictionaries have always included formal and informal English,” says the head of language content at Collins, Helen Newstead. “But it used to be hard to find printed evidence of the use of slang words.

“Now people use slang in social media posts, tweets, blogs, comments, text messages – you name it – so there’s a host of evidence for informal varieties of English that simply didn’t exist before.”

Some fun ones made it into the official dictionary like mojito, buzzkill, and jockdom:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-has-added-5000-words-to-its-dictionary.html

Fury451

Banned
So "lolz" and "obvs" is in, but abbreviations as a whole are still out?

Scrabble plz.

Also, at the risk of sounding snobbish; this demeans the game.

This is just like when the dictionary adds buzzwords - it's purely a marketing ploy. Some nice advertising on 'and finally' news pieces and articles.

Ivan 3414

I'll bet there are people who really don't give a shit about Scrabble otherwise, but are going to come into this topic whining anyway because they added the word twerking

This shit happens with every dictionary and somehow this is news to folks. Please find other shit to be concerned about

collige

Banned
Now that I think about it, Scabble has more power creep than any video game just because of how language evolves.

Nugg

I see this as proof that those dictionaries are made by people who suck at Scrabble and just need new words to score points.

Words are words because a set amount of sounds corresponds to a specific idea. If I come up to you and say "sdajfhvionreiuohn", that doesn't mean anything. If I say the word "twerking" you know what that means. Ergo, sdajfhvionreiuohn is not a word and twerking is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom