• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza is the Most Underrated Series in Gaming

Fbh

Love them but I'd say they are "correctly rated".

The stories and characters are fun and they have a great balance of wacky and serious. I also like some of the details like all the restaurants with their unique food items or going into a grocery store and seeing all the individual items on the shelves.

But the gameplay has always been pretty bland and repetitive to be honest. Even on hard you have to set some personal rules or limitations for it to offer any sort of challenge or complexity. Also a lot of the side activities are fun on paper but their execution is very basic, like I love the idea of Kiryu street racing with a taxi but if we are honest the gameplay itself is some shitty racing game even in the context of it being a minigame.

They also recycle content like crazy.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I loved Yakuza 0 (the first one I played). I thought Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 were okay, but by the end of 2, I was tired of all the punchy-punchy. I hope to fit Yakuza 6 into my schedule at some point, just so I can see how the series "ends."

Gambit2483

I love the arcade mini games they include. Being able to play the actual full arcade game of Virtua Fighter 5 in Yakuza 6 is all kinds of awesome. They even put them in the Judgment games.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Agree with the people saying its overrated.
Glad to see im not the only one who thinks that.

I can write about Yakuza games for hours. I have so many problems with them.

In my opinion one of the underrated series is Hitman, they rarely get the recognition they deserve and even Hitman series can be argued that its not underrated, i just think underrated because it needs more love lol.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Let’s be 100% real. This is by far and large the most underrated and under appreciated franchise in gaming.

This year I completed Ishin, Like a Dragon, and Gaiden. I’m currently working on 0.

Like a Dragon and Gaiden both gave me tear jerker moments in their stories. The story, dialogue, acting is top notch.

Couple this with some of the most slick combat both for the turn based and action combat you have, and you have a recipe for unrivaled fun. These games respect the shit out of your time , and keep challenges appropriate to not frustrate players. Throw in top shelf music and you’re constantly excited to beat cheeks. This is excelled in the over the top boss fights.

Side content is basically unmatched. No other open world type games have this much fun shit to do. That’s just the thing is you can constantly derail yourself to have more fun.

As someone who jumped in with Ichiban story in Like a Dragon (part 7, or part 8 technically if you count 0) I didn’t feel lost in this narrative. Gaiden that just released also didn’t lose me in plot and I felt that if I hadn’t played 7 it would’ve had some sauce lost not knowing what Ichiban was up to in that game.

Current Yakuza you could play 6,7, and Gaiden to be caught up basically. If you get hooked then dabble in 0-5 like I plan to do.

If you’re a JRPG fan, and haven’t played Like a Dragon, my brother in Christ what is wrong with you? This single game proved turn based JRPGs have plenty of ceiling room to go, and rejuvenated my love for the format from yesteryear of snes/ps1 titles.

TLDR: Don’t be a Baka Mitai ass bitch and play these games.
Love the story and setting, but the earlier games have that Sega floaty arcade controls I could never get into. Respect to those who like the series though.

Larxia

How is it underrated? It sells well, there's a new episode basically every year, and the people who like the series will spam you with memes about it every single day.

DeVeAn

It WAS underrated in the West during PS3 era. I’ve been there since 2005 played em all as they released. Not one of the games was disappointing.

The city is a character so complaints on that seems like you’re not into it which is fine.

Gaiden was huge improvement over previous games mechanics. Ready for the next one.

I love everything about Yakuza games except the combat.
This is probably the only series I'd consider just doing a Story Mode run.
I think the gameplay gets so stale so quick and I just want to experience the wacky.

The_hunter

I want to play them, but can't decide if to start at 0 or 6/7 with the newer stuff.

Are the stories connected, or self contained in each game?

RaduN

By Yakuza 4, i got tired by virtually the same stuff over and over again.
They are smooth, yet rudimentary games, but they feel like they're all really the same damn game with different faces (or the same in many cases) talking to each other with the same damn face expressions.

Peroroncino

It was, but no longer, they really ham it up as of late, and it's getting progressively worse and more wacky with each instalment since 6.

Nowadays I prefer Judgement. Yakuza 6 even though it is far from perfect, was a nice enough ending for the entire series for me. Anything after that, I don't consider canon. Bringing Kiryu after the cap-off in 6 just seems desperate. They give him some james bond fighting style, then k-pop haircut and a fuckin' cancer lmao - no thanks.

Oh, and YongYea as english VA is just final spit in the face :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Chukhopops

It’s not underrated anymore but it’s an excellent series, some absolutely top tier writing, acting and stories between the LAD and Judgment series.

Gameplay wise it needs to reinvent itself a little bit, I loved Gaiden for the story and references but it was a bit of a slog to play.

Really excited for Infinite Wealth with both a new location and a post-Yakuza plot, looking like the best or second best JRPG of 2024 depending on how well Metaphor RePhantazio turns out.

killatopak

Actually think it is SMT. A lot of stuff were taken from this series and made popular by everybody else but it was a first mover. It also have a shit ton of titles still hidden away in Japan, untranslated and stuck on platforms you can’t emulate like on flip phones.

OuterLimits

Yakuza games usually score quite well, so.....

I love turn based combat, so I certainly wasn't complaining when Like a Dragon went that route. However, they need to improve it in the future because quite a few other JRPG games do it far better.

Majormaxxx

Saying this as a fan of the games - it's not underrated.

True fans buy them. I have them all, most of them on both consoles. Been playing since yakuza 1 on ps2.

Legend of Heroes has 17 mainline entries. I guess it also isn’t underrated by that metric.
We could discuss what underrated means. I guess they meant unpopular, because being considered "worse than it is" is highly subjective. And yeah, many sagas have a fuckton of games and they are always niche sagas

SteadyEvo

You lost me at respects your time. Yakuza has no respect in that regard. Are the stories and characters great? Yes. But being interrupted often from the main story to introduce side quests gets annoying. But I’ve only played Judgement and Like a Dragon.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You lost me at respects your time. Yakuza has no respect in that regard. Are the stories and characters great? Yes. But being interrupted often from the main story to introduce side quests gets annoying. But I’ve only played Judgement and Like a Dragon.

An example is in Gaiden. “Hey player this is the point of no return. But healing items, go do side objectives , etc. the next part is a lot of fights and you’ll need to set a side a fair amount of time to complete it. You ready ?”

^ Telling me that is a huge nod you respect my time, so as to not go in blind and hit a brick wall or have to repeat it all due to time constraints.

For something to be underrated it has to be pretty niche and unknown, which isn't the case with Yakuza (anymore). It's a pretty well-known series now and general consensus isn't terribly off from your own about the games (even if it might be more muted).

So it's definitely not the most underrated in gaming, for those reasons alone.

decisions

What I love about Yakuza is that it's really a series that you can get as lost in as little or as much as you want. Each entry ships a plethora of mini games and side content, but somehow they just feel like they are on "on offer". You can just enjoy the high-quality main story if let's say you recently played a bunch of entries, or you can start going through the completion list and get lost in nostalgia for how much joy the various mini games have brought you over the years. This really gets at the heart of the "virtual tourism" aspect of the games. Each time an entry comes out I take a trip to Japan. Sometimes they are short trips, sometimes they are long -- whatever I want -- but they are always enjoyable.

This is in stark comparison to a lot of western open-world games, where the exploration/side content feels like it is the most exciting thing about the game, and I just get burnt out because that gameplay loop that is supposed to be really exciting isn't really inherently different from Assassin's Creed II (looking at you Horizon).

Fbh

I want to play them, but can't decide if to start at 0 or 6/7 with the newer stuff.

Are the stories connected, or self contained in each game?

0 works as a decent starting point for the "old" action focused era for the franchise. It works well as a standalone game and if you enjoy it you have 1-6 to play through.
The low point of the old style is probably Yakuza 3 right now because 1 and 2 got remakes and 4-6 are new enough to include many of the advancements the franchise got over the year, but 3 feels dated.

Like a Dragon is also a good starting point for the new RPG era, since it introduces a new main character and cast and a new combat system.

The stories are semi-standalone in that you can usually enjoy them on their own and they all focus on a specific conflict that gets resolved by the end of the game, but they do include a lot of characters from previous games and you usually get more out of them by knowing these characters and the events of the previous games.

To be fair to the franchise though, IMO Judgement is the absolute worst when it comes to forcing random sidequests into the main story.
Not that the other games don't do it from time to time but the first half of Judgement is an absolute slog. It's the only game in the franchise I almost gave up on.

Played it for like 40 mins and hated it. I really wanted to like this franchise. I should give it another go. Any recommendations here as to which entry is the best for newcomers with little patience?

TwinB242

The real time combat is incredibly dated by now. Im actually glad they switched to turn based starting with 7 and thats coming from someone who was incredibly skeptical of the idea when it was first confirmed.

zapper

underrated? it is praised even too much given the minimal improvements/changes that there are between one title and another, I don't understand the euphoria for every new work of the rggs identical to the previous one while everyone derides the new cod or fifa every year.

don't mention me like a dragon, because beyond that they are constantly releasing new identical chapters in the same yakuza universe.

sega lives by milking yakuza and persona

FingerBang

I played all of the games and no, it's not underrated. It's fun and I appreciate the storytelling but excluding 7, as a series it hasn't really evolved much over the years.

I love the characters but I wish they made fewer games. Legit they could have dropped 3, 5, 6 and all the spin-offs. The Judgment games are surprisingly good, though again, gameplay wise they become repetitive so quickly.

The_hunter

0 works as a decent starting point for the "old" action focused era for the franchise. It works well as a standalone game and if you enjoy it you have 1-6 to play through.
The low point of the old style is probably Yakuza 3 right now because 1 and 2 got remakes and 4-6 are new enough to include many of the advancements the franchise got over the year, but 3 feels dated.

Like a Dragon is also a good starting point for the new RPG era, since it introduces a new main character and cast and a new combat system.

The stories are semi-standalone in that you can usually enjoy them on their own and they all focus on a specific conflict that gets resolved by the end of the game, but they do include a lot of characters from previous games and you usually get more out of them by knowing these characters and the events of the previous games.

To be fair to the franchise though, IMO Judgement is the absolute worst when it comes to forcing random sidequests into the main story.
Not that the other games don't do it from time to time but the first half of Judgement is an absolute slog. It's the only game in the franchise I almost gave up on.
Thanks for the reply, I'll start at 0 since I prefer action games. It's reassuring each game focuses on its own conflict.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Played it for like 40 mins and hated it. I really wanted to like this franchise. I should give it another go. Any recommendations here as to which entry is the best for newcomers with little patience?

I’d say no. You need patience to play Yakuza games. They are 40+ hour romps with tons of side activities and non-interactive cutscenes. If you didn’t vibe with it thats ok.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

It’s such a tough path to recommend one. A lot will likely tell you 0, but I wouldn’t.

If you want action : Do the Man Who Erased His Name. It’s a 10 hour romp.

If you want a turn based JRPG that’s 35+ hours long I recommend Like a Dragon.

If you have patience then wait for Infinite Wealth which combines both.

Personally I’d say Like a Dragon.

Boss Mog

The series itself is good, I only played part of Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Yakuza 1 of PS2....

What I would like is for it to be based more realistically on the world of what the yakuza is and not put those Japanese slangs or those humorous scenes out of sense.

l0Exx3iJhoNmJM1d6.gif
yakuza-yakuza-like-a-dragon.gif
majima-kiryuchan.gif
like-a-dragon-gaiden-joruy.gif

If they reduced the "exagerrated events" or made it a real combat, the series would be even more interesting.
Yeah I always thought that too. The story is often serious but then you have the over the top combat that doesn't really fit and kills the immersion.

AmuroChan

If by underrated you mean unknown then I would say it used to be, but not so anymore. I think after Zero, Yakuza is now pretty mainstream, even in the West. If you're talking about critical reception, I think they're rated pretty much where they should be. These games aren't ever going to win GOTY. They have a very simple formula coupled with a fun gameplay loop. Most Yakuza games have scored in the 7s and 8s. So I would say they're pretty fairly rated.

Holy shit at the series of posts asking for realism. It’s a series of silly light hearted games that twist and turn and then end with a fist pumping larger than life duel of fates.

You people are fed cake and are asking to eat out of the cat box.
Speaking of realism; I really preferred it when Kiryu was taller, more buff and muscular like in 3 to 5.

The games originally went for a very specific exaggerated look imo. Their choice to strive for more realism kind of deflated part of it. 6 and upwards updated Kiryu to look more plain. That's kind of a shame.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The series itself is good, I only played part of Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Yakuza 1 of PS2....

What I would like is for it to be based more realistically on the world of what the yakuza is and not put those Japanese slangs or those humorous scenes out of sense.

l0Exx3iJhoNmJM1d6.gif
yakuza-yakuza-like-a-dragon.gif
majima-kiryuchan.gif
like-a-dragon-gaiden-joruy.gif

If they reduced the "exagerrated events" or made it a real combat, the series would be even more interesting.
Yeah I always thought that too. The story is often serious but then you have the over the top combat that doesn't really fit and kills the immersion.

Same.

I feel its odd to try to tell a serious story and then all these other elements break the idea of what they are trying to tell. I feel maybe Judgement was suppose to be their serious look at crime in Japan.

Here is hoping for Judgement 3.

Mozzarella

I think one of the reasons Yakuza series can't even be considered to be underrated to me is the crazy number of people who put it on a pedestal, the game has serious lack of criticism, i rarely heard people complain about it and this is one of the reasons that im vocal about criticizing it often, the series deserves way more criticism, I find it strange how many people give this franchise a pass on legitimate issues that plague other games that constantly get called out, one of those issues for example is bad combat system.

But i guess if i want to break my issues down without explaining in detail they would amount to variety of issues.

1)Presentation: The Yakuza series is known for being heavy on cutscenes, sadly the presentation does not keep up, its inconsistent, for example you will be in the middle of some intense cutscenes, then after a minute the game freezes, goes black and then takes you back to the usual static faces and dialogue boxes that lack voice acting and has this annoying keyboard typing sound, the cutscenes are long but they are poorly directed, if you are a cinematic director this is not a good way to present your scene, you have to commit, either keep it dialogue only or cutscene only, this weird mish mash of cinematic and static ruins the immersion, kills the tension and makes the flow of events laughable.
Aside from its poor directing, the game has barely average voice acting, subpar graphics, subpar animations, and mediocre audio design.
I think its suffice to say even for its hardcore fans that Yakuza presentation is not up to the standard level, its not amazing thats for sure, but even as a standard for story heavy games i would say its mediocre.

2)Gameplay: Gameplay in Yakuza games consists of two main things: Minigames and Combat; the minigames are a mixed bag of good timesink and generic trash, for example i think the Cabaret minigame was pretty good, but the 8ball or darts or the small car racing games were boring and just generic if i wanted to play that i can easily go to any flash website and play them quicker and without the clunky slow dialogue. I think for people who love to play minigames the gameplay can be enjoyable, but im not the kind of player who buys a game to play minigames, so for me while this is a small plus, it doesnt carry the gameplay.
The other major part of the gameplay is the combat and imo it sucks, I always find it hilarious how people never shut up about the combat in Witcher 3 or Skyrim, yet for some reason this kind of shallow combat in Yakuza nobody pats an eye, the combat in Yakuza is repetitive, easy, clunky and mechanically shallow, the enemies are always the same, enemy variety is extremely low, the enemy A.I in the games is braindead, the thugs basically take turns in getting beat up by the player, one of the unique encounters Mr.Shakedown for example can be easily exploited because his A.I is terrible, and yet people never shut up about Cyberpunk or the first Last of Us A.I which makes me confused, why this bias? is it just because this is a Japanese games and weebs love its poser characters?
Because of the combat's nature of being shallow and repetitive, it becomes tedious, because the game loves to shove the thugs in your face on every 3 meters you walk in the city, every step you take you have those 3-4 thugs who want to take you down, doing their angry cringe posing. If at the fucking least they can acknowledge you later for being a renown Yakuza member and run away from you then it would be bearable, but NO, you have to fight them every while or run using the horrible stamina system in the city. But then you are basically avoiding the game. Also one thing to note is that even in the quests the same thing happens you fight the same thugs over and over: Square Square Square X Triangle = Enemy fall down, go near enemy click finishing move, watch a 2-3 second of cutscene of Kiryu finishing the thug, this makes the combat tedious as everytime you want to finish them you have to watch those cutscenes, for the first hours its cool af, then later in the game it starts to become tedious.

One last problem with the gameplay is the controls: they are stiff, clunky, and the targeting feels awful, its as clunky as RDR2 a game that gets a lot of shit for being clunky, yet nobody pats an eye for Yakuza. Also the hitbox targeting system was weird and kinda flawed too.

Suffice to say the Gameplay in Yakuza was crap, and even LAD which had a turnbased combat (works better since they can't get action right) still suffers from being broken and unbalanced, i can point its issues but the post will be too long.

3)Story: Now if the gameplay sucked and the presentation is below average then definitely the story has to be good right? NO, its poorly written and full of tons of problems too. Lets take Yakuza 0 for example: For the first 6 chapters i found the story to be actually engaging, and i was intrigued with the plot i wanted to see what will happen, Majima Chapters were fantastic, but after chapter 6 the game starts to fall apart. Story becomes nonsensical, a lot of events are poorly thought out, there was many plot holes in the events, i found it annoying that many of the characters keep getting revived, this shit sucks, i dont like writing that keeps changing 180 of the characters, or using them as plot devices all the time, characters that start to randomly act stupid or strong or characters who have no personality except being posers. I actually written a page will all the plot problems if i put it here it will be too long, but one quick example i can give is Sagawa shooting Majima, then Sera shooting Sagawa and saving the day, this was not only contrived writing as Sagawa instantly knew how and where to look without explanation, he also survived a fatal shot that showed his blood on the floor, just few hours later we find him torturing Majima, i cant take the story seriously when it keeps doing the same lame plot tricks that a shitty TV show does. Another extremely bad example is the scene at the Prison with Majima and the Police officer, that was like super bad, how the gang disappeared suddenly, how the cop changed his mind suddenly for a bad reason, how the whole murder scene played out, its stupid and melodramatic for no good reason.
Its just bad writing, the characters and the story is poorly written, i can say the only good character in the whole game was Majima followed by the only decent character being Tachiban.
With its boring pacing and bad writing i think its suffice to say that Story in Yakuza is not good.

4)Side Content: How many times have you heard about that the side quests in Yakuza games are good? i heard that shit many times, only to be extremely disappointed by them every time i played them.
To put it short, the side story in Yakuza games consist of gag comedy pranks, where the plot is meaningless cringe just to provide some chuckles, too bad i found them cringe. The design for the quests always plays out the same way, you are walking in the city, someone interrupts you and asks for you to help them, usually a poorly thoughtout reason, then after that you do some really stupid task only in the end to be just a prank.
One example i can give is a quest i played where someone was creeping on a girl, Kiryu comes by and notices him, he freaks out and then after a small exchange Kiryu learns that this creep lost his daughter and he saw a girl working at a Bar that looks like her, but he is scared to go ask her, so he sends Kiryu as undercover client to ask her, after you click click to advance the dialogue (because thats all you do) and answer few questions, then you learn they are very identical, so you take her to the dad, he is scared to look into her face then after they see each other they freak out and turns out she is not his daughter cause her name is different, its just a prank bro. I dont like this kind of side quests.
One other quick example is i was walking by as Majima, in a hurry to do serious quest, then a girl stops me tells me i need to play boyfriend with her so that her father can see she got a boyfriend, she tells you say X,Y,Z and then the father comes you say X,Y,Z and then she goes to bathroom, her father tells you i know you are fake, you smile, he tells you please be her boyfriend for real, you decline and the quest end. Bravo RGG! good side quests there, yeah definitely among the best amirite?
The side quests are full of this stuff, i found them unworthy of praise because to me, a good side quests has to follow a certain standard, i can explain that further but im sure by now nobody is reading this anyway.

5)World Design: The hub area of the Yakuza games looks full of life, thats a plus, but sadly, how you interact with it is barebones, you can't jump around, you can't interact with NPCs, you can't interact with the levels, its all linear hallways, even in the quest you have to exactly follow the line, you can't stray from the path, its a shame because this cool looking place is just there as a setdressing, even Ubisoft style of games have more interactivity and better level design than this, the exploration of the hub-area is not worth it as you won't get worthwhile loot from exploring or any meaningful discovery, all you are going to find is more and more thugs to punch.
Sure you can go inside shops and restaurants but those places fall back into the same initial problem and thats generic design, and nothing to do, in the restaurant all you are doing basically is click on the menu and choose a meal, then watch a poorly made cutscene where Kiryu/Majima eat their food. All you ae going to do is follow a path from A to B and do Quests which all follow the same repetitive gameplay formula, what is left are the stories and i found them meh as i explained above.

6)Character Progression: The Yakuza games offer each character 3 styles of fighting, and each style has a skill tree with perks to unlock as part of the progress, but sadly its mostly passive perks that do nothing, just more health, more heat, more damage, and only a few of them unlock a move that you will barely use anyway, this is barebones progression, worse is that you have to buy the skills with money, now money wasn't an issue as minigames and thugs on the street give you millions?? which is weird how can thugs give that much money lol, but anyway you unlock them easy, i dislike that you need money as part of progression, i prefer the TES/Fallout style of progression where the more you use a skill the more you progress in it, In Yakuza is just give me money and take the skill, and the perks are just boring anyway.

With all that said, i think Yakuza fails at many issues for me to be able to consider it good, i finished 3 games, tried to complete more games later and tried to force myself into them but then i find they are all more of the same crap anyway, so i just drop them. Good thing i only bought Yakuza 0, cause the others were on gamepass, otherwise i would be furious.

That is not to say there is zero redeeming qualities in the game, i think some of the minigames are good, the story was engaging up until the middle way, Majima is a good character. But aside from that it has a lot of problems and the mixture of over the top silly posing and the serious dramatic story just didnt work, if it was like Devil May Cry or JOJO Bizzare Adventure, sticking only to over the top then it would've worked better, but a mixture like that didnt work and keeps taking me out of the scenes and seriousness, and ofcourse the gameplay didnt help to carry the stylish over the top factor either.
I actually have way more to say but i will stop here.

For me Yakuza is most definitely overrated and overrated AF too. I guess im a big hater, but fuck it, everybody showers this game with undeserved praise anyway.

Top Bottom