• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased his Name | Review Thread

mdkirby

Well this is interesting. Those are pretty solid reviews. I’m pretty sure I read it was initially intended as dlc, then made standalone, and the whole thing was made in 6months, on a pretty tiny budget.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

BdK14Lx.jpg

Goro Majima Dancing GIF

adamsapple

Ok I really love how well they've merged the story of this game into 7. Real good shit in the final act and some pretty good foreshadowing about why Kiryu will need to be in the next game. (Infinite Wealth).

edit: god damn man this ending is gonna make me cry :(

Last edited:

mdkirby

And even then, the arcade ports here are vastly better than Konami's effort with the MGS Master Collection.
It’s pretty wild, and kinda puts to shame companies releasing crap after 5 years dev and a couple hundred mil. I had a similar reaction to Sherlock: awakening, the war broke out before they had finished the DLC for Sherlock: chapter one, they then managed to finish that games dlc, launch a kickstarter, then in less than a year managed to release Sherlock: awakening, it was a great game, fab story, pretty polished, without bugs, great voice acting/performances etc, all done during a war.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well I just bumped into some familiar faces

aVqwyS3.jpg

Nice to see there willing to do crossovers now. Really enjoying it so far... its well more Yakuza.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Anyone know if the Gamepass version includes access to the Infinite Wealth demo? Or is it only for people who buy a copy of the game?
I can confirm that it does. I also don’t know which like a dragon game to start playing first… ishin or the man who erased his name. Sega are on a roll! Now if only they could just port all their arcade games and put them into one bundle. And give us a panzer dragoon saga remake. I will feel like a 90s sega fanboy all over again!

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

My winning run. You need low 17's. My fastest is on Supermodel3, a high 16. I really need to learn the other 2 tracks. I don't think I ever managed to win them.

Its kind of a bummer this game isn't its own app, with leaderboards, BOTE rom... perhaps some online play thats soon dead. Sega should go the Capcom arcade stadium route.

Supermodel3, when properly set up, is better. Its the true Daytona branding, great widescreen support, all versions etc.

By the way, FV2 has Del Sol and Kuhn unlocked by default. Pretty neat.

Supermodel runs games ~5% too fast compared to Model 3 (60fps instead of ~57), I dunno about all but Daytona USA 2 & Scud Race (unless it's been fixed). Speed is 100% proper in Gaiden @ 60fps (Silent on twitter said it's probably a source port, not emulation, by a superifcial look at file types).

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well finished the game... man I did not expect the ending to hit so hard, I thought this was going to be a fun lol game about Kiyru being a secret agent (and for most of it, it was). But its just as important to the story as any main line title.

Really looking forward to continuing his story (alongside Ichibans) in a few short months.

EDIT:

Never mind continuing the story now :D

9MP1baL.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Well finished the game... man I did not expect the ending to hit so hard, I thought this was going to be a fun lol game about Kiyru being a secret agent (and for most of it, it was). But its just as important to the story as any main line title.

Really looking forward to continuing his story (alongside Ichibans) in a few short months.

Man .. fucking tell me about it. I don't think a game has hit me this hard in the feels since MGS3's ending.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I've played a few hours of 0, up to chapter 6 of like a dragon, and beat all of Ishin.

So far on chapter one of this, and I guess I don't feel totally lost ? Kiryu changed his name after the events it seems of Yakuza 6 ? So far it seems like Like a Dragon may be mandatory material to understand since they here in chapter 1 mentioned the Seiryu clan which I recall from Like a Dragon which Ichiban is dealing with.

I'll be up front I have 0 intention of playing the older games, so I just need a solid YT video to do the story's justice.

Comandr

Finished the game tonight. Roughly 20 hours. Definitely have not completed everything. Barely did any side quests, only Gold in the castle. Ugly cried at the end.
Kiryu finally just ... letting it all out broke me.

Also felt weird emotions during Kiryu's Baka Mitai karaoke. Like, it was both sad and hilarious at the same time. A great experience all around. Eager to play Platinum Adventure while I wait for 8. The demo was fantastic. It's hard to wrap my mind around just how much love it feels has gone into Infinite Wealth. The entire experience feels so meticulously crafted and beautifully polished.

The only thing I'm disappointed to see is the crappy audio mixing which has been the same for the past couple games. I have a surround sound setup, and the... ambient city chatter audio is SO FUCKING LOUD. It's tied to "sound effects" and if you turn that down, it turns down ALL SOUND EFFECTS? The whole world is muted now! Fuck me.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Finished the game tonight. Roughly 20 hours. Definitely have not completed everything. Barely did any side quests, only Gold in the castle. Ugly cried at the end.
Kiryu finally just ... letting it all out broke me.

Also felt weird emotions during Kiryu's Baka Mitai karaoke. Like, it was both sad and hilarious at the same time. A great experience all around. Eager to play Platinum Adventure while I wait for 8. The demo was fantastic. It's hard to wrap my mind around just how much love it feels has gone into Infinite Wealth. The entire experience feels so meticulously crafted and beautifully polished.

The only thing I'm disappointed to see is the crappy audio mixing which has been the same for the past couple games. I have a surround sound setup, and the... ambient city chatter audio is SO FUCKING LOUD. It's tied to "sound effects" and if you turn that down, it turns down ALL SOUND EFFECTS? The whole world is muted now! Fuck me.

Will the ending hit hard for someone who isn't well versed in the franchise ?

RNG

Why is Daytona USA 2 called Sega Racing Classic 2? Took me forever to find it until I just assumed the racing one was Daytona 2 with a name change.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Will the ending hit hard for someone who isn't well versed in the franchise ?

I mean you lack the context of who the characters are and how they relate to Kiyru, so I can't see how some of its meaning will indeed be lost.

But its a sad moment in general I feel... also just play the series, it's well worth it... I do wish they would remake 3-5 though like they did 1 and 2. They feel a little dated because there just HD re-releases.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

It took me a while to figure out the combat, and how you just have to point with the LS and attack, and you turn on the spot. I was running around to find an angle on the next enemy. But it works kind of like Batman combat. And you can close distances with chaining attacks and dodges towards your target.

The contact lenses you can buy from Mizorogi can also show on the map where locker keys are located, with an icon on the map if you have it equipped.

Last edited:

RNG

Only RGG Studios can come up with zany shit and make them fun like getting shoes that allow you glide like Iron Man or throwing cigarettes that detonate on enemies lol.

El Muerto

Decided to start Gaiden today. This combat is dogshit compared to the series. These stupid gadgets do not belong in these games either. I already miss Toshihiro Nagoshi. I played the whole series twice, i just can't with this game. Anyone else have problems starting out and does combat get better?

Soltype

Decided to start Gaiden today. This combat is dogshit compared to the series. These stupid gadgets do not belong in these games either. I already miss Toshihiro Nagoshi. I played the whole series twice, i just can't with this game. Anyone else have problems starting out and does combat get better?
It gets better when you realize how much you can cancel, you can dash cancel out of a lot.You can also switch instantly in combos, I will start a rush in agent, rope a guy mid combo, drag him forward and start a float, then switch to Yakuza style and juggle. I'm not a fan of the agent style myself, I think it's there for people that want to use it and want to be slightly less confrontational, when you have a lot of the gadgets going you don't have to be in the fight as much.

xrnzaaas

The side content is even more distracting than in the other Yakuza games. I'm at about 15 hours and still playing chapter 2. The arcade games are fun (Daytona USA!), the sidestories are cool (the haunted house and AI ones were superb) and the pocket racing minigame will take a lot of my time. Not that I'm complaining. ;)

Last edited:

Alexios

Anybody done a visual settings comparison? I can just about reach a near constant 60fps if I drop to Medium but I'm not sure if I miss something important then so if I should stick with a 30fps lock with maxed settings. Yakuza games are stylish af regardless but yeah, would be nice to know this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The side content is even more distracting than in the other Yakuza games. I'm at about 15 hours and still playing chapter 2. The arcade games are fun (Daytona USA!), the sidestories are cool (the haunted house and AI ones were superb) and the pocket racing minigame will take a lot of my time. Not that I'm complaining. ;)

Wait till you're introduced to the Coliseum lol

Isa

Game is awesome so far, put roughly 16hrs in this weekend. I really miss Ichiban and the turn-based combat, but this is ok I guess. Fun minigames and side quests as usual. Good music, cool cutscenes as well. Also a looker and I love the Dragon engine. Game is buttery smooth yet looks superb with great fx and interactivity.

Alexios

Played this a bit. Unlocked Yakuza combat style and a bit further too so, still very beginning. The very first little arcade you visit in the early linear sections has both Daytona USA 2 and Fighting Vipers 2 right there (and some other stuff). Kind of disappointing I didn't have to search it out more, lol. I don't think I'll keep playing this game, I have more than half of Kiryu's saga left to play through still so it has to wait where Like a Dragon/Infinite Wealth/Lost/Judgment don't. Anyway, it's the frst time I actually get to play Daytona USA 2, I never bothered emulating it myself. I'm not sure emulation is 100% accurate, some of the smoke/tire/fire effects seem a little bit off. Otherwise it (Fighting Vipers 2 too) seems to run at the original resolution with no enhancements (even with the bad texture filtering, or mip maps, or both), just some light scanlines and letterboxing so it's not too blown up.

The game plays great but seeing it in person for the first time, more or less its original look rather than enhanced with emulators, I see a lot of its look is smoke and mirrors, lots of 2D, very low res elements, lots of things that are obviously low poly or with only the side facing the camera modeled as they used to do to maximise the polycount of things the players would actually see while playing. Lots of COOL stuff too of course, it was pioneering and jaw dropping in 1998 and still looks great. Still, Dreamcast's Daytona USA 2001 isn't as far behind as I thought visually, it's mostly different like a reimagining of the original with a slightly less fantasy based track design and overall look (and with that reflection/shine effect being a bit of a miss). Previously I used to concede Daytona USA 2 is the one Model 3 game showing enough of a power gap to not be easy to approximate on the Dreamcast to the level of Virtua Fighter 3tb, Fighting Vipers 2 or the even better ports of SEGA Bass Fishing, Virtua Striker 2 and Virtual On 2 but now I'm not so sure, it seems within Dreamcast's capabilities, they probably chose to reboot the original just because it was far more popular and famous.

There are more fun mini games than the arcades too. Also, I went from "I don't think I'll keep playing this" to nonstop playing it, I'm 22 hours in, lol, fuck Yakuza games are addicting. But I suck at them, usually when shit gets real I get trashed until I get OP from stat boosts and/or abuse health items.
screenshot194ied9l.png

Last edited:

RickMasters

So I roamed into the ingame arcades…… Daytona USA 2…..motoraid…. Fighting vipers 2…… oh boy….. three things…..this game is never coming off my hard drive…. And secondly….. I just wanna say sega have come a long way with these yakuza games. As a long time sega fan, I’m happy to just play these games, and absorb inbthe fan service and arcade stuff. Helps that the games themselves have a good story line and the combat is pretty decent. Loving this and ishin right now. But I think I’m gonna focus on ishin before I dove fully into this one. I left my save point at the arcades so I can just jump right in and play Daytona USA 2. Waisted forever for some kind of home port of that game.

Wish sega would just do a model 1,2 and 3 arcade anthology bundle or something…. And a system 16 and 32 one while there at it.

Alexios

Done! 28 hours. Anticlimatic final bit difficulty/struggle wise (I'm not OP, the Four Kings side content is trashing me) but the story was solid (still didn't get to know the antagonists enough, the new allies don't get enough bonding time either) and gave another perspective to the last Yakuza events.

I think I did the majority of the side content sans slot car racing and the Four Kings stuff. The Like a Dragon 8 demo unlocks afterwards and is a nice tease for the full game. Exploring whole new areas will be great and they look so well realized too. Kiryu as party member and his gimmick are nifty.

The story revelations here essentially bring Kiryu back a bit too much after being cameo-like in the last game, they explain everything about his involvement in that story. I'm kinda hoping 8 will be his last game (but they better not kill him!), Ichiban deserves to not play second fiddle to his legend.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

WOW at the ending. Being a fan since inception made that hit so hard. Damn man right in the feels. Loved the game.
Like Yakuza 6 ending level?

Because that ending really did something to me. What a classy way to conclude Kiryu's story (well, at least that's what we thought at the time)

Can't wait to play this game!

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I really enjoyed the
Judgment
crossover substory. Such a shame it wasn't longer, it would be a great opportunity for more characters to show up.

PanzerCute

Well being I’ve played all the games as they came out I felt what Kiryu felt. Was a moment for sure.
The ending was perfect, I was wondering during the whole game how they would give Kiryu the exit he deserves and I was not disappointed. I couldnt play any other games for a few weeks after that.

I started Gaiden yesterday and I already love it. The introduction is quite amazing for a Yakuza game and you can directly feel this is a direct sequel to 6 and the missing like with Yakuza 7.

Damn I love these games so much.

Last edited:

Alexios

Reactions: RNG
Top Bottom