• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6 |OT| - The Song of LIfe

BANGS

Banned
I've been spending all my EXP on Kyriu's base stats but I'm guessing a more balanced approach would be better. That said, I feel fairly overpowered already (Chapter 5).
I feel like in 0 and kiwami i felt OP the entire game until some of the later bosses that made me feel like an idiot. I never lost a fight, but there were plenty of times where I was chugging healing items and i got knocked around with no real good way to attack. kiwami was alot worse than 0 but both did it to me... The pattern of "get two hits in, get knocked on my ass, get two hits in, get knocked on my ass, drink, get two hits in..." got old real quick...

sotojuan

In this game I just get Heat then spam that Heat Action that happens you press square a lot - takes care of most tough enemies.

RPGCrazied

Anyone notice any screen tearing on a base PS4? I see it mostly when entering buildings. Gets really bad in some of those. The streets are fine if you walk around, but starts to get dicey when you run. Wish I could get a Pro.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Anyone notice any screen tearing on a base PS4? I see it mostly when entering buildings. Gets really bad in some of those. The streets are fine if you walk around, but starts to get dicey when you run. Wish I could get a Pro.
I've heard this is a common issue but I haven't noticed it. I'm also playing on the pro so I dunno...

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I finally got the game in the mail. Time to hook up my PS4 and start playing!

In this game I just get Heat then spam that Heat Action that happens you press square a lot - takes care of most tough enemies.

This worked for me until towards the end of the game, when the bosses started dishing too much damage that you just totally ate up while in ultimate heat mode. It made the final boss in particular extremely tough, because that fight requires good reflexes on both your blocks and your quicksteps in order to win, and I was handicapped by my prior over-reliance on ultimate heat to just beast me through other fights.

Sad that they nerfed Tiger Drop considerably in this game, but that move still helped me immensely with some much-needed breathing room on the harder fights.

Someya's final fight would've been unwinnable without it, for me. Fuck not being able to block blades.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I was playing through this game, thinking, why is it so hard to beat these early bosses (on normal). Then I finally realized I didn't put any skill points into anything.

camelCase

I haven't upgraded heat axns yet but I find the heat mode just forces a lot of mashy and ineffective (for groups) attacks from kiryu. I've found grabbing a bike and going for the group gets it done right quick.

ramuh

I'll be starting this game this week. I'm so excited this series has gone mainstream. I remember playing this on PS2 both Yakuza games. Good times.

Speedwagon

Man, I finally went to karaoke and it feels like the framerate is jerky as hell. Is it because I'm playing on an OG PS4? Do I need a PS4 Pro for a seamless experience?

Last edited:

Dunki

After 25 hours I am done with yakuza. While I really enjoyed the story I thought everything else felt a bit racked on. Mostly because they had to create a new engine. Fighting also lacked quite a bit. I also rushed a bit since I also have god of war lying here’s. The delay really has hurt thegames success imo.

Man, I finally went to karaoke and it feels like the framerate is jerky as hell. Is it because I'm playing on an OG PS4? Do I need a PS4 Pro for a seamless experience?
Yeah, it's odd - the Karaoke seemed really off to me. Was fine in all the other games in the series - but in this one it's jerky and the button presses seem to be completely out of sync with the music... not sure what that's about.
(ps, I'm on PS4 pro- still jerky like you describe)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's odd - the Karaoke seemed really off to me. Was fine in all the other games in the series - but in this one it's jerky and the button presses seem to be completely out of sync with the music... not sure what that's about.
(ps, I'm on PS4 pro- still jerky like you describe)

The old engine could do 60fps (even on ps3) for some of the mini games. This being 30fps (with frame issues on karaoke) really hurts the timing. Shame.

Not only is this game massively scaled back, the trophies are some of the easiest i've ever seen. What happend?? lol

sotojuan

Yeah the trophy about defeating the giant squid sounded cool but
it appeared in the very first fishing thing and it was easy to defeat...

Google

Not only is this game massively scaled back, the trophies are some of the easiest i've ever seen. What happend?? lol

I want to add an alternative view as I'm feeling very comfortable with the game.

I've played every Yakuza game since the original on the PS2 and have never been able to get too far into them. I believe the furthest I got was 4 when I felt the individual characters lended themselves well to shorter, sharper 'campaigns' and play time.

With Yakuza 6 I've found the linearity and leading story have helped massively in allowing me to figure out what I should be doing and where I should be going. Not that it's not ever signposted but in previous games the sheer size and breadth have always caused me issues in focusing. I'm not having that issue here.

The trophies are also coming along at a nice clip that I feel like I'm achieving something.

nowhat

So, after beating GoW quickly (mainly just the main content, I'll do a more complete run later) I remembered "ooh, Yakuza, must get it". And so I did. Only a few hours in but liking it so far, but cannot really comment on the game further yet. The first-person mode seems redundant, but I guess some get a kick out of it.

However, I'm yet again reminded of one of my pet peeves: what is it with Japanese devs and AA (or rather, lack thereof)? Here we have a new engine that looks great, for the most part. But then you have straight edges that especially in motion look just terrible. Is at least some anti-aliasing too much to ask?

RPGCrazied

Finally back to this game after beating GoW. Already not liking the
babysitter Kazma
Hope it takes a backseat further in. I heard there is no trouble finder in this. That sucks. And yeah, there is no AA in this. Wouldn't be so bad if it rendered in 1080p. Maybe it does on that pro, but base its 900p. I heard Yakuza 2 remastered that uses this engine looks better, so there is that.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So, after beating GoW quickly (mainly just the main content, I'll do a more complete run later) I remembered "ooh, Yakuza, must get it". And so I did. Only a few hours in but liking it so far, but cannot really comment on the game further yet. The first-person mode seems redundant, but I guess some get a kick out of it.

However, I'm yet again reminded of one of my pet peeves: what is it with Japanese devs and AA (or rather, lack thereof)? Here we have a new engine that looks great, for the most part. But then you have straight edges that especially in motion look just terrible. Is at least some anti-aliasing too much to ask?

I think there is a hello best preference for sharp detailed visuals even at the expense of aliasing in the image and especially if they need to decide between sharp visual with aliasing and soft visuals without aliasing: see some point sampled textures in ICO on PS2 (just few here and there).

sotojuan

Done with the story and about to finish the substories. Enjoyed this game and spent ~40 hours in it. Not sure if I'll get the platinum as I want to start some new games, but maybe.

I think this game is good feels like weird ending for Kiryu. Mostly new characters and the people he knows well took a backseat to them, including Haruka.

scydrex

Got it beside GOW. Should i play it after beating GOW? I was thinking of waiting to play Kiwami 2 but is 4 month away...

Edit: Forgot to say i beat Zero and Kiwami don't know if that helps in anything. Waiting for Kiwami 2 and hopefully 3, 4 and 5.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

The gang mini game is pretty addicting. In Chapter 5 now. Really odd the screen tearing I saw in the first town is gone in the 2nd one. Haven't seen any at all here.

Spoke to soon. Back in the first town, at night, with tons of people, tearing is back. Man, the performance in this game is all over the place.

Last edited:

camelCase

These hostesses really need to be wined and dined before you get the sub story, holy bawls.

The gang mini game is pretty addicting. In Chapter 5 now. Really odd the screen tearing I saw in the first town is gone in the 2nd one. Haven't seen any at all here.

Spoke to soon. Back in the first town, at night, with tons of people, tearing is back. Man, the performance in this game is all over the place.

Yeah what the fuck. Game legit looks like shyte in the day time, in kamuro at least. Jaggy aaaaf. 0 might even look nicer.

The little things going on in the chat are hilarious. The videos are really hard to watch cuz I live with people but the girls are kinda cute and they don't say completely off putting saccharine stuff 100% of the time. Every time I look at the text chat I laugh. Sex bot 9000 lol.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah what the fuck. Game legit looks like shyte in the day time, in kamuro at least. Jaggy aaaaf. 0 might even look nicer.
I play on the pro and I haven't noticed any performance issues, but my god the lack of anti-aliasing makes everything so jaggy at times. Looks like the entire screen is flickering...

Speedwagon

I liked the story but I felt like it dragged on too long at the beginning, but once the plot twists and mind blowing parts set in it somehow made perfect sense. This is probably my second favorite Yakuza after 3, but I think I just like this solo story style with only Kiryu more than the ones where we play as different characters as the story progresses. It's just more immersive to me, being a single character.

camelCase

Fuck that ending. The fat guy in your group comes up right after Sugai is out of ammo and disarms him. You couldn't have done that 10 seconds earlier? The same shit happened in the ending for 5 with a seminal character. It;s just insulting and eye rolling to have main characters killed off because they got sentimental. can no one keep their mind on the business at hand?

Not to mention they had many opportunities seconds prior to kill Sugai but left them alive to talk. And for what? So the annoying baby from 10 years ago and another just born annoying baby can have a life. Fuck that, I would have much preferred it if Haruka had taken the bullet. I miss Kiryu already.

camelCase

Good game, I don't think it crests greatness though. 0 was a grand slam and it makes 6 look weak by comparison. But, I had a lot of fun with it.

Dayspring815

Neo Member
Fuck that ending. The fat guy in your group comes up right after Sugai is out of ammo and disarms him. You couldn't have done that 10 seconds earlier? The same shit happened in the ending for 5 with a seminal character. It;s just insulting and eye rolling to have main characters killed off because they got sentimental. can no one keep their mind on the business at hand?

Not to mention they had many opportunities seconds prior to kill Sugai but left them alive to talk. And for what? So the annoying baby from 10 years ago and another just born annoying baby can have a life. Fuck that, I would have much preferred it if Haruka had taken the bullet. I miss Kiryu already.

You do know that Kiryu survived, right?

BANGS

Banned
How many chapters is there? I think I'm on chapter 10 or so now, after the whole baby tossing scene... Just wondering how much I got left...

How many chapters is there? I think I'm on chapter 10 or so now, after the whole baby tossing scene... Just wondering how much I got left...
it was either 12 or 13, I think.

The more I've played the Karaoke, the more I've realised - it's not the frame rate causing the problem... the note (button press) data is just bad - it's completely off from the song / unrelated to the song. They could fix the songs without having to fix the frame rate in Karaoke, for sure.

Finished the game - really enjoyed it. Maybe it's not quite 0, but the further I got through the game, the more I grew to like it. - there's so much else in there that holds it together & makes it unique. Looking forward to Kiwami 2!

I honestly wish he hadn't. Death seems like a nicer fate than living the rest of his life in exile, unable to see or speak with his kids ever again. It seems especially cruel when you consider how desperately lonely he was the first time he was in exile in 5. And it's even worse when you consider his letter to Daigo at the end of 6. Like, he writes that extremely heartfelt letter about how much he regrets throwing away the time they could've spent together, and then... chooses to continue throwing that time away. I get that the letter was an acknowledgement that he's crippled by his emotional damages and not a declaration that he's over it and done running, but still, man. He spends the whole game screaming at other guys for being selfish and abandoning their kids (that whole fucking scene with Yuta in the burning building, for god's sake!!), and then turns around and abandons his own fucking kids. It feels like a huge thread left hanging.

The ending is awful. I'm not ready to let go of Kiryu after this game, because his ending isn't fair, it doesn't feel finished, and I want Sega to fix this.

Dayspring815

Neo Member
I honestly wish he hadn't. Death seems like a nicer fate than living the rest of his life in exile, unable to see or speak with his kids ever again. It seems especially cruel when you consider how desperately lonely he was the first time he was in exile in 5. And it's even worse when you consider his letter to Daigo at the end of 6. Like, he writes that extremely heartfelt letter about how much he regrets throwing away the time they could've spent together, and then... chooses to continue throwing that time away. I get that the letter was an acknowledgement that he's crippled by his emotional damages and not a declaration that he's over it and done running, but still, man. He spends the whole game screaming at other guys for being selfish and abandoning their kids (that whole fucking scene with Yuta in the burning building, for god's sake!!), and then turns around and abandons his own fucking kids. It feels like a huge thread left hanging.

The ending is awful. I'm not ready to let go of Kiryu after this game, because his ending isn't fair, it doesn't feel finished, and I want Sega to fix this.

Yeah, I also want another game with Kiryu, fully realised in Dragon engine and with better sendoff for him. He's been through so much, he deserves to live the rest of the days peacefully with his loved ones, maybe with new love interest (Kaoru Sayama, why not?). Perhaps protagonist of Yakuza 7 will help him with that.

By the way, I loved scene in the ending (besides the letter), where they synced Haruto's first steps with Kiryu's. New Dragon cometh!

Yeah, I also want another game with Kiryu, fully realised in Dragon engine and with better sendoff for him. He's been through so much, he deserves to live the rest of the days peacefully with his loved ones, maybe with new love interest (Kaoru Sayama, why not?). Perhaps protagonist of Yakuza 7 will help him with that.

By the way, I loved scene in the ending (besides the letter), where they synced Haruto's first steps with Kiryu's. New Dragon cometh!

ngl, I would be so down for a Kiryu game that was like A History of Violence, where he moves to America to be with Kaoru and shit just follows him. I would be SO DOWN.

And then they both go back to Japan at the end and Kiryu gets to be with his kids and his waifu.

Last edited:
I play on the pro and I haven't noticed any performance issues, but my god the lack of anti-aliasing makes everything so jaggy at times. Looks like the entire screen is flickering...

On pro, thereis no frame rate issues.
But yeah, that lack of AA really ruins a lot of scenes.

I went back and looked at yakuza 0 and although the graphics are a step back, how clean it looks is so nice.

camelCase

I wrote that in a rage after the final boss fight while the credits were going.

On pro, thereis no frame rate issues.
But yeah, that lack of AA really ruins a lot of scenes.

I went back and looked at yakuza 0 and although the graphics are a step back, how clean it looks is so nice.

I'm playing 0 right now and the textures are the only step down, it looks amazing and it definitely feels better than playing 6. I miss going in and out of stores without loading though

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Finished the game

Man, the Amon fight blew. What a shitty fight! Stupid ass drones.

I thought Yoshimizu faked both Takeru and Kiyomi's death, and there would be a big plottwist at the end where the father knew about the son long ago and planned for all this lol.

Kiryu's "death" is weird though. He taken way more bullets and stab wounds, so it's hard to believe that he would have died that easily. Didn't believe it was true lol.

camelCase

Finished the game

Man, the Amon fight blew. What a shitty fight! Stupid ass drones.

I thought Yoshimizu faked both Takeru and Kiyomi's death, and there would be a big plottwist at the end where the father knew about the son long ago and planned for all this lol.

Kiryu's "death" is weird though. He taken way more bullets and stab wounds, so it's hard to believe that he would have died that easily. Didn't believe it was true lol.

This one changed the series in a big way, with the combat being as easy and forgiving as it is. The Amon fight is a result of that cuz I had no difficulty with it on hard and I always play these games on easy. I still can't beat So in 0 even on easy.

In the past I would say that playing these on anything other than easy is a mistake, now I feel like the combat is kind of pointless. It's just a mashfest now, granted the boss fights can be somewhat fun with all the silly ,excellently choreographed dancing around. I think they hit a sweet spot in 5 and 0, where the Komaki Tiger Drop truly earns its name and is one of the funnest moves to use in any combat game ever. You can still tiger drop in 6 but its kinda meh when you can just pick up a bicycle and end a 5-on-1 fight in a fraction of the time it would take you to line up a TD on a single person.

Last edited:

nowhat

So, finished the game, and regarding the ending
Kiryu not dying was like the most unsurprising surprise reveal ever, but I suppose it was inevitable. However, Kanji shooting Kiyomi with blanks - that made absolutely no sense. He was already prepared to kill her (with his bosses being present), why/how did he switch to blanks? IMHO having Tsuyoshi take care of Kiyomi's daughter would have been a "better" ending.

Other than that... I was kind of disappointed, really. The main story was a bit "ehh". Some of the side missions were fun though, as always. The fighting mechanics are solid but quite uninspired. I really didn't care for the gang war side game, but I suppose it's there if you're so inclined. And what's with the lack of AA Sega? Seriously, you have a new engine that could look great, but no AA at all, it can really look rough especially in motion.

WaterAstro

This one changed the series in a big way, with the combat being as easy and forgiving as it is. The Amon fight is a result of that cuz I had no difficulty with it on hard and I always play these games on easy. I still can't beat So in 0 even on easy.

In the past I would say that playing these on anything other than easy is a mistake, now I feel like the combat is kind of pointless. It's just a mashfest now, granted the boss fights can be somewhat fun with all the silly ,excellently choreographed dancing around. I think they hit a sweet spot in 5 and 0, where the Komaki Tiger Drop truly earns its name and is one of the funnest moves to use in any combat game ever. You can still tiger drop in 6 but its kinda meh when you can just pick up a bicycle and end a 5-on-1 fight in a fraction of the time it would take you to line up a TD on a single person.
Yeah, the game is pretty much pick up heavy objects and destroy packs. Felt grindy too, well, I was grinding a lot actually.

I definitely like 5 the most because I just love how they put an idol simulator in a middle of a Yakuza game. Zero is great too because of Majima.

camelCase

Yeah, the game is pretty much pick up heavy objects and destroy packs. Felt grindy too, well, I was grinding a lot actually.

I definitely like 5 the most because I just love how they put an idol simulator in a middle of a Yakuza game. Zero is great too because of Majima.
Ha yeah. The idol sim I didn't so much like because of the frequency of the rhythm matching games, but everything else in her subplot is cool.

5s smorgasbord offering of various sub games, including (ill use names to not spoil it for people who haven't yet touched 5) Suzukis, Saejimas , shinadas and the idol sim, is so awesome. I really enjoyed saejimas part and living in the wilderness for that time, seriously that was a blast for me. Also, Shinadas story really touched me.

0 was great on the first run for me too. I really like how they hint at Saejimas reason for being incarcerated but never show you him. I went back played 4 and was blown away at the backstory for Saejima and how well 0 set me up for it. Which is also the reason for Majima being so crazy.

camelCase

I also wanna say how annoyed I am at the people "waiting" for a remaster or kiwami of 3,4,5 and are thus putting off playing 6. Like, those games will not be out for years. I seriously doubt kiwami 3 will come out within 2 years if EVER. The game had stuff cut for the American market, wasn't as popular as the previous game, and wasn't nearly the splash that Yakuza 2 or 1 was(especially 2.)

Waiting for kiwami 3,4,5 is like putting yakuza on hold indefinitely. You'll be in another job, married and have many grey hairs before you even get to consider ripping he shrinkwrap off of kiwami 3.

So people, please nut up and play the original games on ps2/3. You'd only have to wait til august 28th to play 2 on PS4, but even then, fuck that. The games are good enough for the platform to mean nothing.

Dayspring815

Neo Member
I also wanna say how annoyed I am at the people "waiting" for a remaster or kiwami of 3,4,5 and are thus putting off playing 6. Like, those games will not be out for years. I seriously doubt kiwami 3 will come out within 2 years if EVER. The game had stuff cut for the American market, wasn't as popular as the previous game, and wasn't nearly the splash that Yakuza 2 or 1 was(especially 2.)

Waiting for kiwami 3,4,5 is like putting yakuza on hold indefinitely. You'll be in another job, married and have many grey hairs before you even get to consider ripping he shrinkwrap off of kiwami 3.

So people, please nut up and play the original games on ps2/3. You'd only have to wait til august 28th to play 2 on PS4, but even then, fuck that. The games are good enough for the platform to mean nothing.

I was thinking of maybe putting Y6 in the backlog until Kiwami 2, but quickly changed my mind. Also, pre-order for Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 PS4 appeared on YesAsia, if it's true, sounds like 3-4-5 will be getting remaster treatment, which I'm totally fine with.

Geki-D

Banned
All right - the fake camgirl chat users they have in this game are hilarious.
lol First time I did one through the sub story I think it was my first legitimate "WTF I can't believe they put this in the game" moment, and I've been playing games since the Master System. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's weird but hilariously cool. I can imagine a lot of teens having their parents walk in on that and having an awkward moment :D .

Top Bottom