• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6 |OT| - The Song of LIfe

camelCase

I was thinking of maybe putting Y6 in the backlog until Kiwami 2, but quickly changed my mind. Also, pre-order for Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 PS4 appeared on YesAsia, if it's true, sounds like 3-4-5 will be getting remaster treatment, which I'm totally fine with.

Whaaaat. I had no idea. That's awesome, but I'm not too quick to get my hopes up because they take so long to localize and the missing content from the english version. But still, that's awesome, it shows they're gonna be at least somewhat consistent with these rereleases. I haven't even gotten to play 3 yet so that's very good news.

More my beef was people volunteering to wait to play the remasters for FOUR different yakuza games which have not been announced,until they could play 6 which is freshly purchased and right in front of them. Like jeez get your priorities straight lol.

Just finished the game, and while I liked the story I felt the gameplay was a step backwards from 0 and Kiwami. I skipped a lot of the side stories as well, I just wanted the game to be over, still getting Kiwami 2 though.

camelCase

Anyone else think the ink on the younger Iwami was fucking awesome? Looked way cooler than Majimas hannya, Kiryus dragon and maybe even Nishikis koi.
1gt4G3P.png

camelCase

Nah,. I like Kiryu's the most, then second would be Watase from Yakuza 5.
Damn really? It uses colors I've never seen in any of the tats. Watase's is cool but it looks too much like everyone elses imo.

How recently have you played 5 btw? I beat it in early April and I had to look up who Watase was lol
Just finished the game, and while I liked the story I felt the gameplay was a step backwards from 0 and Kiwami. I skipped a lot of the side stories as well, I just wanted the game to be over, still getting Kiwami 2 though.
What'd you think of the secret of Onomichi? A lot of ppl online are calling it a red herring and that they didn't like it, it may have been unneccessary for the story but I thought it was pretty cool.

What'd you think of the secret of Onomichi? A lot of ppl online are calling it a red herring and that they didn't like it, it may have been unneccessary for the story but I thought it was pretty cool.

I mean it was a red herring, but it was pretty cool like you said.

WaterAstro

Damn really? It uses colors I've never seen in any of the tats. Watase's is cool but it looks too much like everyone elses imo.

How recently have you played 5 btw? I beat it in early April and I had to look up who Watase was lol
Played it when it got on PS+. I had to bust out the PS3 lol. Yakuza 5 is my favourite because the story just felt more insane and more Yakuza than the others, and the Haruka stuff was so good. Saejima's hunting thing was mediocre, and I don't like the baseball dude, but the rest is solid. I love the 4 yakuza on the rooftop fight. It's so bad ass. And Kiryu vs the Tojo Clan was so amazing. Truly great Yakuza moments.

camelCase

Played it when it got on PS+. I had to bust out the PS3 lol. Yakuza 5 is my favourite because the story just felt more insane and more Yakuza than the others, and the Haruka stuff was so good. Saejima's hunting thing was mediocre, and I don't like the baseball dude, but the rest is solid. I love the 4 yakuza on the rooftop fight. It's so bad ass. And Kiryu vs the Tojo Clan was so amazing. Truly great Yakuza moments.

That's so funny, I had the exact opposite reactions to the different characters' subplots. Shinadas I loved, same for Kiryu & Saejima. But the rhythm matching games? Could not stand them and the repetition of them. The offbrand PS3 controller I play with is broken and very small so it is uncomfortable as shit to play with, which may have been the reason for my intense dislike of haruka's minigames.

I know you haven't played 4, but 4 had me similarly disillusioned. There are many times in this series when I say "I hate how they're doing that! X character could have prevented it so easily by doing Y thing!" So consequently I cut them slack.
(Yasuo being shot by Katsuragi)

In Yakuza 0 I had a similar feeling about the vacuous space (lol) and even in the end,
Sohei Dojima tells Makoto that simply her silence is enough to move along with the Kamurocho revitalization project before his assassin incapacitates her
so to me, it being a red herring doesn't really bother me so much. I just wish they could have given it a bigger spotlight because the idea of an
uber Yamato II
is actually pretty cool even if you aren't into that era of history.

How can people say it's a red herring? It's the reason why Kiryu's story ended the way it did.

The boat itself wasn't important; it was what it symbolized. The whole thing was that Kiryu uncovered a massive governmental conspiracy, and if he ever spoke out about it (and since it's Kiryu and he's made a hobby out of ending powerful people's careers, it's not an unreasonable fear), like half of the lawmakers in the country would be blacklisted and forced to resign, sending the entire country in a tailspin.

That having been said, I think it was out of character for Kiryu to solve the problem of the government breathing down his neck by faking his death and fucking off forever, but that's a different issue entirely. But, yeah, no, the ship wasn't a red herring by any means.

WaterAstro

That's so funny, I had the exact opposite reactions to the different characters' subplots. Shinadas I loved, same for Kiryu & Saejima. But the rhythm matching games? Could not stand them and the repetition of them. The offbrand PS3 controller I play with is broken and very small so it is uncomfortable as shit to play with, which may have been the reason for my intense dislike of haruka's minigames.
I felt like Shinada's entire arc wasn't even necessary for the overall story. All he provided was like the fact that where the sniper will be. It felt like the team just wanted to have some baseball related story in the game, and that was it.

I like Haruka's arc because it shows two things: it shows her struggles with dealing with the fact that she had to be apart from Kiryu, and it is a very good representation of how hard it is to become an idol. I'm not focused on the gameplay in this respect, even though I love the gameplay, but Haruka's arc was a breath of fresh air taking risk with an idol simulator inside a Yakuza game. Her arc was pretty much the focal point of the whole story because of her relationship with Kiryu. I really like the breaks in different kinds of gameplay because Yakuza 6 just felt really repetitive even with all of the minigames, the bar game, the spear fishing game opening up. It still felt like I was playing the same thing, so that's why I really like the Haruka arc being in the game to break that up. If you don't dig rhythm games though, yeah, you would hate it.

BANGS

Banned
I also wanna say how annoyed I am at the people "waiting" for a remaster or kiwami of 3,4,5 and are thus putting off playing 6. Like, those games will not be out for years. I seriously doubt kiwami 3 will come out within 2 years if EVER. The game had stuff cut for the American market, wasn't as popular as the previous game, and wasn't nearly the splash that Yakuza 2 or 1 was(especially 2.)

Waiting for kiwami 3,4,5 is like putting yakuza on hold indefinitely. You'll be in another job, married and have many grey hairs before you even get to consider ripping he shrinkwrap off of kiwami 3.

So people, please nut up and play the original games on ps2/3. You'd only have to wait til august 28th to play 2 on PS4, but even then, fuck that. The games are good enough for the platform to mean nothing.
Honestly, just jump right into 0 and 6. Easily the best in the series and playing the rest will just burn you out unless you do it slowly. Kiwami was ok but nothing too great...

brap

Banned
Anybody get the Premium Edition? Are the glasses good quality? Thinking about getting it even though I don't drink just because it looks so nice. Also, I haven't look through the thread because I don't want to get spoiled.

Last edited:
Anybody get the Premium Edition? Are the glasses good quality? Thinking about getting it even though I don't drink just because it looks so nice. Also, I haven't look through the thread because I don't want to get spoiled.

Glasses are awesome, I use them for everything. Dishwasher safe, so that dragon's not coming off no matter what you do to it.

Also, don't panic if you use the whiskey stones -- the symbol on them will fade during use, but once they dry out, the symbol comes back. I was really pissed at first until I washed them and was like "oh."

brap

Banned
Glasses are awesome, I use them for everything. Dishwasher safe, so that dragon's not coming off no matter what you do to it.

Also, don't panic if you use the whiskey stones -- the symbol on them will fade during use, but once they dry out, the symbol comes back. I was really pissed at first until I washed them and was like "oh."
Alright cool I'm gonna get it then. Thanks. :)

camelCase

I felt like Shinada's entire arc wasn't even necessary for the overall story. All he provided was like the fact that where the sniper will be. It felt like the team just wanted to have some baseball related story in the game, and that was it.

Yeah, And I partially forgive them for that. It was pretty stupid how Shinadas knowledge of the stadium led him to ascertain that, lol. No disagreements there. But the loanshark, the town, the secret society, made me enjoy his thing a lot. Idk, it felt to me like they were going to use Shinada as a new main character a la Akiyama.

I like Haruka's arc because it shows two things: it shows her struggles with dealing with the fact that she had to be apart from Kiryu, and it is a very good representation of how hard it is to become an idol. I'm not focused on the gameplay in this respect, even though I love the gameplay, but Haruka's arc was a breath of fresh air taking risk with an idol simulator inside a Yakuza game. Her arc was pretty much the focal point of the whole story because of her relationship with Kiryu. I really like the breaks in different kinds of gameplay because Yakuza 6 just felt really repetitive even with all of the minigames, the bar game, the spear fishing game opening up. It still felt like I was playing the same thing, so that's why I really like the Haruka arc being in the game to break that up. If you don't dig rhythm games though, yeah, you would hate it.

Well said. I just don't like kids tbh, but you make a good point about it breaking up the monotony. When I realized you couldn't fight as haruka I was annoyed, but did I really want another section full of combat? Haruka's cutscenes also made a lot more sense, I remember. Saejima got arrested /shot like 5 times in that game, just because he wanted to have a prolonged conversation with foe while the cops are coming or something.
(or in 4 when he and hamazaki are arguing over who gets to go up the chain first - I was literally shouting at my TV)

WaterAstro

Maybe this is a dead bump, but I went back to get the Platinum trophy. It was a lot easier to get than I expected because usually the Legend difficulty trophy requires another playthrough, but you can just switch difficulties from the save right before the last boss. All the other trophies are really easy to get.

The seemingly hardest ones, which is because they are grindy, are the 100 clan mode wins and the natural 300 stat, but once you figure out how to get exp easily for the 300 stat, it's easy. The 100 clan mode wins is just time consuming. I just played the first level over and over again. Anyone looking to get an easy platinum and finished the game should try it out.

Kazza

Some good news! According to this article at least, Yakuza 6 has sold as many copies in the west as in Japan. This is the first time this has ever happened in the series' history. While it should be noted that Japanese sales of Yakuza 6 were lower than previous entries, it's still good to know that the west is picking up the slack (plus I also heard somewhere that the Asian sales are also nearing Japanese levels). Hopefully this means continued localisation support.

This article from June quoted the series' creator Toshihiro Nagoshi as saying that worldwide sales had reached 800k-900k, so hopefully we're close to the million mark now. If (as rumoured) a PC version releases next year, then that shouldn't be hard to achieve.

gela94

Fuck that ending. The fat guy in your group comes up right after Sugai is out of ammo and disarms him. You couldn't have done that 10 seconds earlier? The same shit happened in the ending for 5 with a seminal character. It;s just insulting and eye rolling to have main characters killed off because they got sentimental. can no one keep their mind on the business at hand?

Not to mention they had many opportunities seconds prior to kill Sugai but left them alive to talk. And for what? So the annoying baby from 10 years ago and another just born annoying baby can have a life. Fuck that, I would have much preferred it if Haruka had taken the bullet. I miss Kiryu already.

This kind of thing happens in almost every Yakuza it really annoys me like ... that weapons away from enemies before you get emotional conversation.

Top Bottom