• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition | Hype Thread | We're Really Feeling It

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Money is last thing I'm worry about. I pre-ordered my XCDE on Amazon but there is no guarantee I'm going get it on release date, I STILLL haven't got my Sakura Wars copy from Amazon.....FUUUUUUCK!!!!

Zenaku

Wait, there's limited editions for project x zone?

Oh you guys are costing me so much money ... 🙈😹

hVGWTfP.jpg

Soundtrack CD has 44 tracks

Edit: Also, it's an early purchase edition, not a normal collectors edition. No idea if you'll find it anywhere.

Last edited:
Anyone who somehow hasn't played Xenoblade Chronicles yet and is waiting for the definitive edition, don't go "hmm what's this Project X Zone stuff" and look up any Project X Zone stuff, okay?

There's a Xenoblade spoiler :messenger_grinning_sweat:

what exactly is the spoiler we are trying to avoid?

7th?

meh

I was watching someone play the old Wii version, my god did I think this looked good back then? I think I did but these character models are nightmare fuel
I don't remember her chest being so HUGE!

Last edited:

martino

I was watching someone play the old Wii version, my god did I think this looked good back then? I think I did but these character models are nightmare fuel
I don't remember her chest being so HUGE!

the staging for a wii game....still omg

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The more i see of this game the more worried i get these redone char models really look worse. Game seems to have lost it's character a bit :(

JrQDtox.png

The new models just look generic as f.

Environments look fine OFC 😌

Last edited:
I swear, I shouldn't have started looking into Monolith Soft-items my collection is missing. Ordered 6-7 new items, all fantastic, but ... the money 🙈 Thing is tjhough, waiting makes no sense, because these items will only get rarer 💀

Also it's frustrating when an item just is impossible to find. Xeno Emission 4 doesn't exist outside of pdf downloads -_- Guess I'll have to go to Japan some day and search those freak stores in Akihabara 🤷‍♀️🙈

The more i see of this game the more worried i get these redone char models really look worse. Game seems to have lost it's character a bit :(

JrQDtox.png

The new models just look generic as f.

Environments look fine OFC 😌

The original models ... exist. The remastered models actually have an artstyle and look fine.

I think you'll change your mind when seeing that scene in motion. Lighting is important and not as well presented in a still image.

Zenaku

New XB2 speedrun world record full run

Are there limits on how to do that or something? New game plus with custom difficulty would speed things up, but if it has to be a fresh playthrough why doesn't he use Byakko with Nia? Riding him would speed up travel but the guy is just running on foot.
I swear, I shouldn't have started looking into Monolith Soft-items my collection is missing. Ordered 6-7 new items, all fantastic, but ... the money 🙈 Thing is tjhough, waiting makes no sense, because these items will only get rarer 💀

Also it's frustrating when an item just is impossible to find. Xeno Emission 4 doesn't exist outside of pdf downloads -_- Guess I'll have to go to Japan some day and search those freak stores in Akihabara 🤷‍♀️🙈
Didn't even know an E4 existed. It looks to be a 20 page booklet with design pictures for a KOS-MOS bust that was cancelled, so unless it appears on an auction site that might be damned hard to find.

Are there limits on how to do that or something? New game plus with custom difficulty would speed things up, but if it has to be a fresh playthrough why doesn't he use Byakko with Nia? Riding him would speed up travel but the guy is just running on foot.

He might have answered that in previous runs don't remember.

He is one of the best Xenoblade players and youtubers that post guides out there if there was a faster way I am sure he would use it. He fast travels to key story points though not sure.

As to limits I am sure they have rules to how to run Any% and since he talks of building trust with Pyra it would seem to be a new file? not sure though did not look it up

I think the new models look very good and very similar to the old ones in most ways except for being more detailed. Yeah they look slightly more anime but they always looked pretty anime, we just see them more clearly now. On the other hand, I will have to wait until I play it to confirm my final opinion on the visuals, maybe it will end up having a blander feeling. Not that I expect that but even looking at video you don't really get a full grasp of the art - you need to immerse yourself in the game's world.

Here's another comparsion shot of Dunban's face:
iakfwyQ.jpg

Maybe he does look a bit cuter and more colourful, which doesn't suit being a middle aged war hero. But the differences are really small. That's why there's a sense in which I just feel like we're comparing clear anime to fuzzy anime. Again, I'll wait to play the game and judge it then, but I'm not particularly worried that the characters will lack their charm based on what I've seen.

Last edited:
so iv never played this game.
Will I like it if i like
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
FF 4 to 9?
Vgrant Story

I also havn't liked any Jrpg in the past 5 years. I tend to go towards Wrpgs now. Pillars Witcher Divinity

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Will I like it if i like
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
FF 4 to 9?
Vgrant Story

I also havn't liked any Jrpg in the past 5 years. I tend to go towards Wrpgs now. Pillars Witcher Divinity
I love JRPGs so my opinion is little use to you, so I would say watch reviews and judge it yourself.

Chronicles X was better (Except the music was terrabad). Change my mind.

I like X better too. While there are a few stand out bad tracks "I can't hear you, I can't see you" there's also a lot of incredible music. I particularly love the feeling of the overdrive theme

Mind changed...or just blown?

I see what you're saying and imma let you finish. But Chronicles X had the best mechs of all time, all times!

Yeezy I also like the late game super boss battles and customizable classes where you mix the gun abilities of one class with the melee abilities of a different class

Well I personally much bigger fan of XC1&2 more than I was with X, especially when it came to its story and characters.

I totally agree that X is weaker in the story and characters department. Not that it's weak mind you, and the premise for the story is really spectacular, it just doesn't quite deliver on that set up. But as I like to say, the true main character of X is the planet Mirra. Exploring Mirra in my blinged out mech and having sweet overdrive battles is what pushes it to the number one spot for me, even if I really do want to ride around in a car with Reyn, Rikki and Dunban, FFXV style.

Will I like it if i like
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
FF 4 to 9?
Vgrant Story

It's hard to say without knowing more. I would regard Xenoblade as a modern classic with great characters, story and combat that I would sit alongside the jrpg classics you mentioned. But do you know why it is that you lost your love of the genre?

Like Witcher and Divinity aren't really similar except that they are wrpgs. I'd say Witcher has an amazing world and characters with combat I don't really enjoy, while the Divinity games don't impress me with their story and characters, but the combat is so amazing I've played divinity 1 & 2 maybe 4 times each. Both series are wrpgs but they're not similar except for "feeling western."

While Xenoblade Chronicles is an excellent game, it definitely has a Japanese vibe and it is unmistakably a jrpg.

So if you haven't liked any jrpg in the last 5 years including Persona 5 and DQXI and FF7R, which are all very different games with only a jrpg flavour in common, well....

...as much as I'm trying to get everyone excited for Xenoblade Chronicles and bring a lot of hype to this thread, I'd have assume based on what we know you probably wouldn't like Xenoblade. Pains me to say it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I think the new models look very good and very similar to the old ones in most ways except for being more detailed. Yeah they look slightly more anime but they always looked pretty anime, we just see them more clearly now. On the other hand, I will have to wait until I play it to confirm my final opinion on the visuals, maybe it will end up having a blander feeling. Not that I expect that but even looking at video you don't really get a full grasp of the art - you need to immerse yourself in the game's world.

Here's another comparsion shot of Dunban's face:
iakfwyQ.jpg

Maybe he does look a bit cuter and more colourful, which doesn't suit being a middle aged war hero. But the differences are really small. That's why there's a sense in which I just feel like we're comparing clear anime to fuzzy anime. Again, I'll wait to play the game and judge it then, but I'm not particularly worried that the characters will lack their charm based on what I've seen.
Spot on. I mean holy shit
The old model is SO much better.

Wtf are they doing? Srsly.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm interested. I've always wanted to get into the series. Question for those that have played it. How bloated is it? Is there tons of grinding? I'm not a man with tons of free time so I was wondering how respectful of your time it is.

I'm interested. I've always wanted to get into the series. Question for those that have played it. How bloated is it? Is there tons of grinding? I'm not a man with tons of free time so I was wondering how respectful of your time it is.

Unfortunately, Xenoblade 1 is *very* grindy. Especially towards the end of the game where there's large stretches without much story progression, just fighting your way through monster filled areas.

It really depends how much you like the setting/characters/story up to that point. I was fully immersed, so I didn't mind it too much. But for someone who just wants to finish the story, it can get bad.

Unfortunately, Xenoblade 1 is *very* grindy. Especially towards the end of the game where there's large stretches without much story progression, just fighting your way through monster filled areas.

It really depends how much you like the setting/characters/story up to that point. I was fully immersed, so I didn't mind it too much. But for someone who just wants to finish the story, it can get bad.

wait what? You consider X1 grindy? Xenoblade is not grindy at all you gain XP from discovering a new area you hardly have to grind if you don't want to, you can't avoid a level up. I feel the grind much more playing Dragon Quest imo.

I only grind because I like to be level 99 in JRPGs. The only real grind I can think of in X1 is trying to get the Gem combos you desire but most of that is RNG.

as for how respectful it is of your time, you are not going to 100% this game without spending 300+ hours on it that is for sure.

From my experience, there’s no need to grind throughout the game, except for a hard boss fight near the end (those who played the game... you probably know who I’m referring to).

That said, you will be traversing huge areas with tons of enemies, but there’s a clear sense of progression as you explore all corners and reach new places so you won’t feel like your time is wasted. Xenoblade is a very long game but actually well paced.

wait what? You consider X1 grindy? Xenoblade is not grindy at all you gain XP from discovering a new area you hardly have to grind if you don't want to, you can't avoid a level up. I feel the grind much more playing Dragon Quest imo.

I only grind because I like to be level 99 in JRPGs. The only real grind I can think of in X1 is trying to get the Gem combos you desire but most of that is RNG.

as for how respectful it is of your time, you are not going to 100% this game without spending 300+ hours on it that is for sure.

The mines, Satorl Marsh, Sword Valley, the fallen arm/hand, Agniratha, prison island, bionis inside - these are all lengthy areas where nothing much happens for the story until reaching their respective end point. Instead you spend hours fighting the same monsters. And if you didn't need to grind for some of the bosses, your playstyle is probably not representative for those who don't like grinding.

I like Xenoblade 1 a lot, but saying it's not grindy is massively deceptive. It could be said, however, that the game is so good that the grind doesn't feel like one most of the time.

DelireMan7

I just finished it for the first time yesterday. Did the main quest and quite a bit of sidequest (but not a lot compare to what the game has to offer) in 78h.

I didn't feel it grindy. The only time I had to farm was for very end of the main story.
I think, if you do ONLY the main quest, you might have to farm to continue but if you're doing a bit of sidequest (you will anyway do some while doing the main quest because a lot are killing monster or collecting items which are on your way).

Areas are huge and it takes time to explore them, but it's up to you to do it or not.

Top Bottom