• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Issue - maybe a HDMI fault?

NinjaBoiX

So I’ve always had this recurring issue with my XSX but it used to happen so infrequently that I never bothered to look into a solution. But now it’s happening really often, it’s super irritating.

Sometimes it will boot up with no sound, forcing a reset. And sometimes it will boot in all squashed and blurry in SD, even though the settings read 4K as they should be.

It’s such a constant issue now that I often have to reboot multiple times to get it outputting to my TV correctly, but it’s now out of warranty so it’s not as simple as just sending it back.

What are my options here? Or better yet, is there a fix I could try?

(I’ve got a smart plug attached so I can switch off the power fully if needed, but I don’t think that’s the same as actually unplugging it is it?)

Any help greatly appreciated!

NinjaBoiX

Yup, I have a LG C2 42”.

So it sounds like I’ll just have to live with it? I mean, that sucks but at least my Xbox is ok I guess!

Thanks guys, issue clarified if not resolved. 😅
Do you have any other HDMI cables you can test with?
I mean, I do it sounds like the issue isn’t fixable anyway. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Yup, I have a LG C2 42”.

So it sounds like I’ll just have to live with it? I mean, that sucks but at least my Xbox is ok I guess!

Thanks guys, issue clarified if not resolved. 😅
Yeah, it's frustrating. Sometimes I'll go long stretches without experiencing the issue and assume it's resolved, only to have it return unexpectedly for no apparent reason. Pretty ridiculous for such an expensive TV.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am having an issue with my XSX where it wont download updates in sleep mode anymore. I checked my settings. It's getting really fucking irrititating to turn it on and see 10s of GBs of updates needing to be downloaded.

To be fair, I sometimes have that issues with PS5. I have ATT fiber and pretty much never get signal drops.

A VERY annoying issue I am having with XSX is that Dolby Atmos is very much out of sync. According to reddit, it's a known XSX issue...fuck me.

Last edited:

acm2000

looks like a known issue but have you tried changing to the input before turning the xbox on? or disabling cec on the xbox to make it just turn on and off normally? couple things i usually do with stuff to fix stupid issues like these

NinjaBoiX

So explain to me again what the easier fix is other than restarting? I can’t imagine it does the PSU much good flicking on and off all that time.

Not to get into a console war (childish nonsense) but man, the user experience is far better on PS5. Even putting the HDMI handshake issue aside, my XSX is just a far more frustrating experience, lots of delayed software booting where it just hangs for a few seconds and just sluggish navigation in general.

Hopefully the new home screen launching soon will sort the latter out at least.
This! Try another hdmi cable.
Is this actually worth trying? Sounds like it’s not going to fix anything, and my set up is a pain to faff with.

So explain to me again what the easier fix is other than restarting? I can’t imagine it does the PSU much good flicking on and off all that time.

Not to get into a console war (childish man, the user experience is far better on PS5. Even putting the HDMI handshake issue aside, my XSX is just a far more frustrating experience, lots of delayed software booting where it just hangs for a few seconds and just sluggish navigation in general.

Hopefully the new home screen launching soon will sort the latter out at least.

Is this actually worth trying? Sounds like it’s not going to fix anything, and my set up is a pain to faff with.
Can you plug your xbsx into another brand of TV like Sony or Panasonic?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable would fix it, since that should force a new handshake. But that's very annoying to have to do of course, especially if neither end of the cable is easily accessible.

Pagusas

Elden Member
you can use an HDFurry to fix this, but its an expensive fix. I have one (HDfurry 8k Vromm) sitting between my reciever and TV to fix all handshake issues. Its amazing.

highly recommended to fix all HDMI issues (plus you can force Dolby Vision into an HDR10+ container to gain DV support on Samsung Tv's, super nice)

Last edited:
Top Bottom