• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YoshiP said in an interview that while things are still undecided, should the opportunity arise, he would like to be Director of a "next major title"

Yoshi-P says in a new interview with Famitsu that while things are still undecided, should the opportunity arise, he would like to be Director of a "next major title."

Here's the translation of his interview excerpt!

---

Shimoda: Aside from FFXIV, do you plan to take on the role of Director for any other title?

Yoshi-P: It’s completely undecided as of now, but if the opportunity arises to work on the next major title, I would like to direct it myself!

Shimoda: I’ll be looking forward to that then! Timing wise, would there be more than one title?

Yoshida: Well, before when I thought about passing on my baton to the next generation, I thought “I probably can at least add one more title to my name.” However, by doing so, I would be setting my own ceiling and limiting myself. This in turn will also cause those around you to work according to what you set.

Recently though, I’ve been thinking that it might be better to not set a ceiling. […] As to my reasoning, well, a company is an organization after all, and an organization’s decision making is usually based on the top management and their logic to pass judgment. If I were to fall into the trap of thinking “I can only do one more title,” then it might be marked as something odd, like “Yoshida’s masterpiece,” which isn’t a good look.

For example, I’m in my 50s right now and still snowboarding, and the more I snowboard, the better I become. I honestly think I’m at my peak at the moment, no joke! (laughs). I feel like I can still push even further, so in lieu of that, I haven’t set a cap for myself.

Shimoda: So you haven’t set a limit for yourself, that’s another good thing I’ve heard today! (laughs)

Yoshida: I feel like setting a cap will make things awfully boring. It’s of course good to set goals to gain that momentum, but as an organization grows larger, I think a better way to approach it is, we don’t know what the future holds, so why not challenge ourselves each time? I think that’s definitely a better way to look at it. I hope that I can take even greater leaps to the likes I have not ever imagined.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Please yes 🙌
First only visionary since Sakaguchi and Nomura’s best days now staying in Square and it’s a pity he only directed one entry and title up until now. He has a chance to become the Miyazaki (From) of Square and should be given full reign everywhere before ascending to overlord producer!

Doom85

If he decides to actually make the RPG elements relevant in XVII if that’s what he’s aiming for, fine. Otherwise:

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Edellus

I like his attitude. While letting the new generation take the reins is a noble thought, it is an overly simplistic one, IMO. Age or past experiences don't have to be a box for anyone. If anything, they could be means to new and better ideas. That said, giving different perspectives and ideas shouldn't be overlooked. Everything with due consideration.

Either way, after FFXIV and FFXVI, I'll play anything his team creates.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He should stick with XIV or just do MMO-centric stuff. It's the only thing he knows. Storywriting has poor pacing and sidequests under him are one note and lame. Introduction of characters are quickly killed off and subplots routinely discarded on a whim. And even on the MMO side the grinding aspects are just miserable to slog through.

I think if he really wants to do a major title he should create something new or take on something that isn't Final Fantasy is he wants to get his feet wet.

If he decides to actually make the RPG elements relevant in XVII if that’s what he’s aiming for, fine. Otherwise:

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

100% this. If he can find a way to make like 100 more RPG like then cool. FF16 was almost completely devoid of FF RPG elements. And what he did add seems like it was tacked on. The all action battle system was clearly their focus.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Better pacing, better side quests, a reason to explore the world, more in the world to do, more RPG elements like seeing gear you equip change on your character, and an actual hard mode from the jump that is difficult.

That’s what FF16 needed to be incredible. Still a good game though.

Raven117

100% on board with this. YoshiP "gets" final fantasy more than anyone over there in the last 15 years.

What he did with FFXIV is nothing short of incredible.

FFXVI is a solid game. (Yes, it could have been better, but I have a suspicion that something occurred in the development of FF to go from an absolutely awesome opening few hours...devolving into standard fare)

If it rhymes with Parasite and Eve, then there will be whities in my pants...

But either way, can't wait for it! Completely new or old IP, I trust him as a director.

Top Bottom