• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S gets a price cut in Japan ahead of preorders tomorrow (~$30)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.engadget.com/xbox-series-s-price-cut-japan-nintendo-switch-114550376.html

Seemingly out of nowhere, Microsoft has decided to change the price of the Xbox Series S in Japan. The next-gen console was originally going to retail for 32,980 yen (roughly $313), but that’s now been revised down to 29,980 yen (roughly $284). It’s a surprising move given that pre-orders for the console are scheduled to go live tomorrow. Microsoft didn’t give a reason for the last-minute change.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Xbox does pretty badly in Japan, right? Region specific discount might not be a bad idea if that market usually isn't interested.

Senua

Gold Member
KlutzyAccurateLeveret-size_restricted.gif

FranXico

Source: https://www.engadget.com/xbox-series-s-price-cut-japan-nintendo-switch-114550376.html

Seemingly out of nowhere, Microsoft has decided to change the price of the Xbox Series S in Japan. The next-gen console was originally going to retail for 32,980 yen (roughly $313), but that’s now been revised down to 29,980 yen (roughly $284). It’s a surprising move given that pre-orders for the console are scheduled to go live tomorrow. Microsoft didn’t give a reason for the last-minute change.

Low sales of the Series S in other regions. Going to try to sell more in Japan.

smbu2000

Well when they initially announced the price at 32,980 people here were wondering why there was the 3,000 yen increase compared to the $299 Series S price in the USA. The Series X was pretty much at 49,980 yen compared to the $499 price in the US. Glad to see that they made them line up again.

xion4360

its japan...need to incentivize more than other places. or the og price was too high? sounds good either way

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
S will prob sell better then the X in Japan, size is a real issue there and S makes a good game pass box.

Prob won’t have much room after the Ps5 takes up your entire apartment.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Weird move. They’re never going to make in roads into the Japanese market at this point, and from a PR perspective, this just looks like “we haven’t sold many of these so here’s a price cut” - which probably doesn’t reflect reality. Seems like a lot of grief for what would only be a small return.

Last edited:

smbu2000

It's nice that they actually started Game Pass here a few months ago in Japan. Prior to that it wasn't available. I had to change my account region over to the USA so I could signup for Game Pass initially last year.

Pre-orders start soon for the Series X/S here in Japan. I'm guessing that I won't have that big of a problem pre-ordering a Series X considering it is the Xbox in Japan.

Matt_Fox

Low sales of the Series S in other regions. Going to try to sell more in Japan.

Series S is for casuals. Casual gamers don't spend their Monday mornings hitting refresh on Amazon for that 90 second window when the consoles in stock to buy. It's only us bloody idiots that do that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This makes sense. Series S is probably Microsoft’s only chance to remotely shift some units in Japan, looking at their history there.

A small, cheap box may actually win them some customers over, given Japanese tastes, but they can’t be too close to a behemoth like the PS5.

smbu2000

I'm just glad they are releasing the Series S/X in Japan at the same time as the USA. For the Xbox One, MS released the console in Japan about a year after the original US release.

I thought I might have to try and import a Series X, but I'm glad to see that I won't have to after all.

NEbeast

Series S is for casuals. Casual gamers don't spend their Monday mornings hitting refresh on Amazon for that 90 second window when the consoles in stock to buy. It's only us bloody idiots that do that.
This excuse is boring now, its days later and you can still buy it. It's a gimped console , nobody wants it.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Oh I agree with you about it gimping next gen, and I'd rather it didn't exist too. I think its way too early to say "nobody wants it" though as hardcore gamers who pre-order arent the target market. The S is for Xmas shoppers and casuals and I suspect it'll sell pretty well.

Orky

Banned
Xbox does pretty badly in Japan, right? Region specific discount might not be a bad idea if that market usually isn't interested.

any home console does badly. The home console market in Japan is basically dead. It’s all about mobile and handheld there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
S will prob sell better then the X in Japan, size is a real issue there and S makes a good game pass box.

Prob won’t have much room after the Ps5 takes up your entire apartment.

People can live inside their PS5s and set up their Series S there.
any home console does badly. The home console market in Japan is basically dead. It’s all about mobile and handheld there.

This needs to be emphasized more. Sony has sold less than 10M PS4 consoles in Japan. They sell more than that in the US in a good Christmas season. The Japanese home console market is irrelevant across the board.

Zannegan

It's a more attractive-looking price point, in the way that $299 looks lower than $300, but Japan's game prices are odd anyway. Seem to be much higher than US prices at launch, but drop faster (for some things). A lot less standard.

Njocky

Banned
This excuse is boring now, its days later and you can still buy it. It's a gimped console , nobody wants it.
Still sold out on Amazon UK. Time will tell if it finds its market. It's not what I was personally after but people are cash strapped, I suspect it will seell.

CAB_Life

Consoles are a lost cause in Japan, which is 99% mobile. Switch does okay there I think. Haven’t been following Media Create in years, so I’m not sure about the Switch. But I doubt it’s doing anywhere near DS numbers.

Kerotan

Not a good sign when you're cutting already cheap prices before pre orders even begin. MS did this because demand isn't there. I'd imagine they'll slash the price again in future when it flops.

ethomaz

Banned
I called it before when the PS5 DE price was announced.

They still needs to cut outside Japan... the S is not selling very well even with way lower availability than X if you look at the stores.

Sakura

Probably because they messed up and put the price including tax originally, I imagine.
With tax it comes out to pretty much exactly 32,980 yen.

cireza

At least there is a small console available for people who don't want to buy a huge router or a PC tower.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Well they got at least one sale in Japan. I just pre-ordered a Series X from the Microsoft JP store. Yay!

edit: I had checked again after I ordered and the delivery date at the MS store had slipped to the 16th on the MS store site. Now it is showing as Sold Out on the JP MS Store. about 13min after pre-orders started.

I was checking out Amazon and another store as well, but it seems like MS is the only one who started pre-orders at midnight???

edit again: Strange it seems to be back open again, but saying you won't receive it until after 11/16. (Series S as well.)

Time to sleep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom