• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S price increased announced for Japan

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Expected with the weak yen, this is not what everyone is trying to paint it out as.

Worldwide price increase in every part of the world apart from the country you are scared to lose ground in...with a strong dollar.
Uhm… interesting how you dance around the currency fluctuations now being an acceptable reason ;) (your logic is that with a weak yen it makes sense to rise prices, but Sony’s raising prices where they had a weaker pound and a weaker Euro or as you are saying a strong USD does not make sense to you)…

Oh well…

200.gif

Vs...one price increase in the country with a weak Yen and you haven't made a dent in, in 3 generations.

Go at it though Sony gaf, have fun lol.
Oh dear 😂.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Uhm… interesting how you dance around the currency fluctuations now being an acceptable reason ;) (your logic is that with a weak yen it makes sense to rise prices, but Sony’s raising prices where they had a weaker pound and a weaker Euro or as you are saying a strong USD does not make sense to you)…

Oh well…

200.gif

Oh dear 😂.

But the euro and pound has balanced out drastically and even companies like nvidia have adjusted their prices down to accommodate....funny that Sony hasn't.

Like I said, have fun bro! X

Also, just to add...when people informed me it was due to the dollars strength vs the world I took that factual evidence on board and said fair play. I don't claim to know everything. It was a learning process.

Now I understand how much of a shit the yen is taking. See if they adjust it down once it recovers.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But the euro and pound has balanced out drastically and even companies like nvidia have adjusted their prices down to accommodate....funny that Sony hasn't.

Also, just to add...when people informed me it was due to the dollars strength vs the world I took that factual evidence on board and said fair play. I don't claim to know everything. It was a learning process.

Now I understand how much of a shit the yen is taking. See if they adjust it down once it recovers.
They have yet to recover and the crisis still present does not seem to let go yet (and the issue is that inflation started also with the supply chain MS and Sony are using too):
J26zKm2.jpg

7nIUpxy.jpg

nVIDIA has been gouging consumers quite a lot, I think their price drop was not just adjusting to currency ratios ;).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They have yet to recover and the crisis still present does not seem to let go yet (and the issue is that inflation started also with the supply chain MS and Sony are using too):
J26zKm2.jpg

7nIUpxy.jpg

nVIDIA has been gouging consumers quite a lot, I think their price drop was not just adjusting to currency ratios ;).

Thanks for the info broski x

I know the usd / gbp has recovered a large amount from the dire, almost 1 to 1 ratio in late q3/q4 last year.

jm89

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

Last edited:

TheTony316

So much for being pro consumer.

It's not like MS has much to lose in Japan. Sales have tanked back to Xbox One numbers for a while now. It's consistently getting outsold by the PS4 now.

Dolodolo

These assholes bet on the Series S, but now no one cares about it, and they can not increase the supply of Series X, because it is more difficult to manufacture

Now they are raising prices. Expect an increase in Europe too

gokurho

I strongly doubt that; sales have been trending downward for it in Japan for months now. Cheaper price before MSRP increase won't do anything for lacking demand.

Expecting MS to do this for Xbox in several ROTW markets in order to avoid doing a hard price increase in US & UK. And any increases in those two markets will be masked with bundles like the Series X FH5 bundle already available.

XSS is #1 on Amazon jp best seller ranking now 🥺.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab
lOawRKA.jpg

GHG

No, you took it as an opportunity to jump to ridiculous conclusions such as this one:

Sony have shown evidence that this console design has stung them from the beginning. It's huge, they had to cut out more metal to try and get costs down and the sheer size of the packaging will be killing them in shipping costs. It wouldn't surprise me if MS could get three series s and at worst 1.5 to two series x per the volume of one ps5 box on a pallet. That's crazy when you think of coats to airship or even sea ship units.

Ps5 is just poorly designed in its size and volume for this market right now. They need to slim it down asap.

Embarrassing.

32 pages in 2 days. This thread is struggling to get past 1 page. Says it all...

[/URL]

That thread is a hoot.

season 2 starz GIF by Blunt Talk

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait the Series X was ~420 dollars in Japan.....tax included?

Fuck I coulda imported atleast one......or even a ton of those and claimed them as PC parts my stupid government wouldnt know the difference and I coulda made a killing NOT selling them to all the Xbox gamers around.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, you took it as an opportunity to jump to ridiculous conclusions such as this one:

Embarrassing.

That thread is a hoot.

season 2 starz GIF by Blunt Talk

Lets see if sony slim down their console this year, everything I said makes complete sense. I guess you just cant see it. Maybe the tone was a little off, but its facts.

Sony has changed the internal design of their console like 4 times since launch, reducing weight and costs. I guess you don't work in logistics like I do? Weight and bulk size is a huge factor to shipping costs. Sony has been on a drastic cost cutting exercise since the consoles release.

I stand by what I said, no matter how much you want to trawl through my post history, it's not the zinger you think it is. Anyone with a logical thought could understand it.

Dolodolo

Lets see if sony slim down their console this year, everything I said makes complete sense. I guess you just cant see it. Maybe the tone was a little off, but its facts.

Sony has changed the internal design of their console like 4 times since launch, reducing weight and costs. I guess you don't work in logistics like I do? Weight and bulk size is a huge factor to shipping costs. Sony has been on a drastic cost cutting exercise since the consoles release.

I stand by what I said, no matter how much you want to trawl through my post history, it's not the zinger you think it is. Anyone with a logical thought could understand it.
No, you said some stupid shit
Sony just announced that PS5 is free to buy in most regions
Those idiots at Microsoft can't ship enough Series X, and they're pushing a crappy little console that no one wants.

We literally have information that Sony is going to make one model, with a separate drive
That is, they will make deliveries even higher than they are now.

From all this, the thought arises in your head that the device of their console is crap?

Go and think some more

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, you said some stupid shit
Sony just announced that PS5 is free to buy in most regions
Those idiots at Microsoft can't ship enough Series X, and they're pushing a crappy little console that no one wants.

We literally have information that Sony is going to make one model, with a separate drive
That is, they will make deliveries even higher than they are now.

From all this, the thought arises in your head that the device of their console is crap?

Go and think some more

I guess, English isn't your native language as this post comes across as overly antagonizing. so i imagine it is just that.

IMO I didnt say anything that is incorrect about Sonys actions with the PS5, I could have worded it better sure...just like you could have.

Peace out anyway, im not fighting with GHG GHG in here. It's not worth it when I actually respect the dude but we deffo rile each other up on occasion for shit we say.

Dolodolo

I guess, English isn't your native language as this post comes across as overly antagonizing. so i imagine it is just that.

IMO I didnt say anything that is incorrect about Sonys actions with the PS5, I could have worded it better sure...just like you could have.

Peace out anyway, im not fighting with GHG GHG in here. It's not worth it when I actually respect the dude but we deffo rile each other up on occasion for shit we say.
No dude
The state of the market right now clearly proves that Sony's strategy for the design of their console has always been a winning one.

GHG

By your own admission you "work in logistics", so what makes you qualified to say a piece of electronics hardware is "poorly designed", especially when it performs as expected?

Since you decided to jump to that conclusion due to a price increase should we also say that both the Series S and X are "poorly designed"? Going by the same logic they could clearly do with some cost cutting right?

And for what it's worth, the difference in weight between the PS5 and Series X is just 0.12 lbs. "it's a learning process" indeed.

Elios83

32 pages in 2 days. This thread is struggling to get past 1 page. Says it all...

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

It's hard to keep face while Microsoft is following Sony on every move they criticized including price increase on games, price increase on hardware, they're even doing their own State of Play-like events now and it seems they're ditching traditional E3.
Basically they're following the lead and validating Sony's strategy.
The next step will be if the Gamepass price is increased when big first party titles are finally released, then the excuse will be that it's just too much value and they're happy to pay more.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
By your own admission you "work in logistics", so what makes you qualified to say a piece of electronics hardware is "poorly designed", especially when it performs as expected?

Since you decided to jump to that conclusion due to a price increase should we also say that both the Series S and X are "poorly designed"? Going by the same logic they could clearly do with some cost cutting right?

And for what it's worth, the difference in weight between the PS5 and Series X is just 0.12 lbs. "it's a learning process" indeed.

I take back the poorly designed, it was not intended in terms of performance. PS5 has proven time and time again that it performs extremely well. I stress, that was not my intention, my personal thoughts are down to its size VS competition and the weight of the cooler / size of the box and packaging.

I do not know the decisions behind this, but it was a decision. That was what I was referencing and I feel is evident by how quickly Sony have drastically reduced material cost, weight and motherboard design. I stand by that thought.

I know Sony are known to change design internally and reduce costs but I have never seen it to this extreme, apart from PS3 where they stripped out BC and other features such as USBs and card readers etc.

GHG

I take back the poorly designed, it was not intended in terms of performance. PS5 has proven time and time again that it performs extremely well. I stress, that was not my intention, my personal thoughts are down to its size VS competition and the weight of the cooler / size of the box and packaging.

I do not know the decisions behind this, but it was a decision. That was what I was referencing and I feel is evident by how quickly Sony have drastically reduced material cost, weight and motherboard design. I stand by that thought.

I know Sony are known to change design internally and reduce costs but I have never seen it to this extreme, apart from PS3 where they stripped out BC and other features such as USBs and card readers etc.

Sony have always made frequent revisions to their console hardware, this is nothing new. They are an electronics company and do exactly the same thing for all of the consumer electronics they produce, typically they do so on an annual basis.

International shipping costs are calculated based on dimensional weight. Work that out for all the respective consoles then tell me what conclusions you can draw from that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony have always made frequent revisions to their console hardware, this is nothing new. They are an electronics company and do exactly the same thing for all of the consumer electronics they produce, typically they do so on an annual basis.

International shipping costs are calculated based on dimensional weight. Work that out for all the respective consoles then tell me what conclusions you can draw from that.

Feel free to do it if you want :)

Three

These assholes bet on the Series S, but now no one cares about it, and they can not increase the supply of Series X, because it is more difficult to manufacture

Now they are raising prices. Expect an increase in Europe too

Box you lose $100 on and with no second hand sales vs box you lose $200 on and second hand sales.

Which would you prefer to sell as a company when game and service prices are the same?

Not counting with the slim versions every single Playstation version out there suffered multiple internal revisions that weren't even announced to the public, just like the PS5. The PS5 has suffered 2 revisions. Hardly anything "extreme" for a console that's been out for over 2 years.

Reactions: GHG

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not counting with the slim versions every single Playstation version out there suffered multiple internal revisions that weren't even announced to the public, just like the PS5. The PS5 has suffered 2 revisions. Hardly anything "extreme" for a console that's been out for over 2 years.

I thought it was at least three revisions? plus an extra with just a cooler reduction?

GHG GHG I'm good bro, you go ahead. I'll just stick to the PCs etc that I ship. Sony can do their job.

• Empathy
Reactions: GHG

PrimeX

This will be a major impact for the 2 buyers of Xbox in Japan. Oh wait, they already bought their consoles.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Judging by this and your GT7 VR conspiracy theory, we have a new console warrior.

Beyond dumb, I play my ps5 more than my xbox in the past year and plan on buying a psvr2 (its gt7 that pulled me in). It's idiots like you that give this place a biased name. Anytime someone says something potentialky negative about sony they are a "console warrior". And I'm nor even saying anything that bad, even if it is true.

And the post is misleading, if you can't see that your clueless. Clearly makes it sound worse than it is.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Increasing the price is going away from the norm, never heard of prices going up mid gen. Microsoft has to talk with countries strategies on pushing price hikes.

Havoc2049

Perfect timing. Microsoft obviously did this to coincide with wiith increased console sales and Game Pass subscriptions that the hit game Hi-Fi Rush will bring to Japan. It also sets them up nicely for when the MEGA-hit Starfield launches. Hopefully Microsoft doesn't have any supply chain issues in Japan and are able to keep up with the increased demand.

Increasing the price of the X in a region where they barely have given it supply, almost exclusively having XBS sales rely on Series S, is a baffling move.

I guess they'll earn more per sales but I would think they would increase X shipments before raising the price.

Their sales in Japan have dropped significantly in the past 2-3 months. It's like they're two whole different consoles, that's how bad the drop has been. And it's not solely due to supply because at any point during that 2-3 month period, Microsoft could have increased supply for Japan if the demand warranted it.

There hasn't been a single week where Microsoft has shipped a significant amount of Series X in Japan since launch. At some point the S hits a cap.

Three

Means nothing, it's now two PSVR2 headsets in 1 and 2.
You're right but something that's a little worrying. Why is the Dualsense Edge modules so high but the Edge itself is missing? Do people think they can use them on a regular dualsense or something? Who would even need replacement modules right now?

Screenshot-20230131-162651-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I mean, they sold 500,000 units. It's not PlayStation or Nintendo levels for sure, but for Xbox, they actually have been selling pretty decently.
Yeah, it's selling better then any other Xbox console it seems but it's still a far cry from most Nintendo and PlayStation consoles.

I appreciate Xbox "trying" but they always give a half ass effort with Japan. Maybe it's on purpose because they know they aren't going to sell. Who knows.

Edit: I forgot it's been over 2 years so the 360 probably sold better? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Last edited:

Kilau

And the post is misleading, if you can't see that your clueless. Clearly makes it sound worse than it is.

It's not misleading or made to sound anyway other than what it is.

The statement from Xbox Japan is in the OP, take it up with them for not going into further detail. Abriael_GN Abriael_GN provided the currency conversion in the second post which is helpful for context but doesn't really mean anything to the market affected unless as he says, you are paid in dollars.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

The statement from Xbox Japan is in the OP, take it up with them for not going into further detail. Abriael_GN Abriael_GN provided the currency conversion in the second post which is helpful for context but doesn't really mean anything to the market affected unless as he says, you are paid in dollars.

The way it was written makes it sound like a general increase above what it is in other markets. It's the first thing I thought and many other readers did well. Maybe it wasn't intentional but it was the result.

Instead of writing

Xbox Series X/S increased in Japan to bring it in line with other regions​

You wrote

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S price increased announced for Japan​

Kilau

The way it was written makes it sound like a general increase above what it is in other markets. It's the first thing I thought and many other readers did well. Maybe it wasn't intentional but it was the result.

Instead of writing

Xbox Series X/S increased in Japan to bring it in line with other regions​

You wrote

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S price increased announced for Japan​

That’s the title of the story from Gematsu who originally translated the story from Famitsu. I didn’t editorialize anything.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're right but something that's a little worrying. Why is the Dualsense Edge modules so high but the Edge itself is missing? Do people think they can use them on a regular dualsense or something? Who would even need replacement modules right now?

Screenshot-20230131-162651-Chrome.jpg
Because the amazon lists are some weird thing and nothing to go by probably

Knightime_X

Make Xbox mobile like switch and they won't be able to keep the shelves stocked.
Japan is a lost cause for home consoles.

Three

Even just mentioning the conversion for somebody getting paid in a specific currency wouldn't really be that useful because in a week it could be wrong. Don't pay any attention to that guy, this is a regional price hike and there's nothing misleading in the article or thread. He's just trying to damage control by suggesting titles of his own.

Shane89

Before someone panics due to a poorly detailed article, the new price translates into $461 and $291, which is still cheaper than in the west, so yeah, they're simply adapting to the super-weak yen, as many other companies have done.

Before this, you could grab a series X in Japan for the equivalent of $422 and an S for $248.

Basically, everything has been 30% off in Japan for a while (more recently like 25%) for anyone who was paid in Dollars haha. Last time I went in September/October, I had some fun shopping 😂
It's nothing new. It was like that since 2005. I bought PSP and PS3 from there at a lower price.

The same is gonna heppen to the West :) despite previous claims lol

Top Bottom