• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox preparing some kind of achievement system overhaul, says a guy in the know

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Roberts

I hope they don't overhaul them too much. 1000/1000 system works perfectly for me. Both sound effects are perfect, especially the rare achievement sound. Platinum equivalent would be fine, but I would only really like main game achievement separation from dlc ones. That's it.

Obviously I would welcome something completely new, stuff that nobody else has done, but I can't really imagine what it could be.

xrnzaaas

A platinum equivalent, most likely.
That would be cool. I like playing a bit more to fight for the platinum, more than chasing 100% gamerscore.

They should also shorten the animations. It's like several seconds now even for a common achievement. Too distracting if you're in an intense fight or watching a cutscene at the same time. I do like the version for the rare achievements though.

Topher

Gold Member
I hope they don't overhaul them too much. 1000/1000 system works perfectly for me. Both sound effects are perfect, especially the rare achievement sound. Platinum equivalent would be fine, but I would only really like main game achievement separation from dlc ones. That's it.

Obviously I would welcome something completely new, stuff that nobody else has done, but I can't really imagine what it could be.

I think some kind of visualization of the number of games that you have earned 1000/1000 would be enough for me. That's really all Platinum trophies are anyway.

cormack12

Gold Member
HUH?

Diamond achievements have NOTHING to do with Game Pass. Diamond achievements are rare ones that few people have unlocked.
How are they calculated?
What effects does publishing a game via gamepass have on the number of people who play that game?
How does that affect whether an achievement is diamond or not?

Chukhopops

How are they calculated?
What effects does publishing a game via gamepass have on the number of people who play that game?
Rare = under 10% of players have it.
So I guess a game being on GP increases the denominator and makes it more likely to be a diamond achievement?

Not that it matters since they are the same as normal ones except the cooler sound effect.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't know why anyone pays attention to this guy. To my knowledge he's never got anything right.

I hope he's wrong as usual, I'm good with achievments just as they are.

MikeM

PC needs it bad. The pops remind me of an email. Why they chose to make them different than console is beyond me.

ManaByte

How are they calculated?

It has nothing to do with Game Pass. If less than 10% of people have unlocked an achievement at the time you unlock it, you get the diamond effect and it's marked as a diamond to show you unlocked it before it reached the 10% threshold.

Roberts

I think some kind of visualization of the number of games that you have earned 1000/1000 would be enough for me. That's really all Platinum trophies are anyway.
Yeah, right now you have to have a TrueAchievements account to see that and it would be more convenient to have it built into the xbox system itself.

Anyway, it is not really about achievements, but I kind of miss the times when you could go into game's stats and it would show a few of your gameplay stats and how they compare to your friends. Now, it seems it is only about time played.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I wonder what meaningful changes they could really make to it?
copy Sony. I know they came later but I think their system is better and holds up more. MS is more likely to add trophies/plats than Sony is to add arbitrary numbers and gamerscore (well they do have a trophy level but it’s stupid).

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It has nothing to do with Game Pass. If less than 10% of people have unlocked an achievement at the time you unlock it, you get the diamond effect and it's marked as a diamond to show you unlocked it before it reached the 10% threshold.
And if I buy a game today that has 1 million people, start the game and get the achievement it's a diamond?
And if I wait a few months to play it and then the game is on Gamepass and another 1.5 million play it what then?

The criteria/threshold for diamond achievements is directly affected by the playerbase. GamePass skews it, making it pretty pointless - which is why quite a few more common achievements that would usually have a 25% earn rate, are now diamond. Therefore they need rethinking/rebalancing which was my original point.

ManaByte

And if I buy a game today that has 1 million people, start the game and get the achievement it's a diamond?
And if I wait a few months to play it and then the game is on Gamepass and another 1.5 million play it what then?

The criteria/threshold for diamond achievements is directly affected by the playerbase. GamePass skews it, making it pretty pointless - which is why quite a few more common achievements that would usually have a 25% earn rate, are now diamond. Therefore they need rethinking/rebalancing which was my original point.

It has nothing to do with how many people own the game. It's 100% based on how many people have unlocked the achievement when you do.

Sea of Thieves has been out since 2018 and has something like 30 million players, but there are still achievements in the game that only 0.1% of people have unlocked. And if you unlock it, that's a diamond achievement.

cormack12

Gold Member
It has nothing to do with how many people own the game. It's 100% based on how many people have unlocked the achievement when you do.

Sea of Thieves has been out since 2018 and has something like 30 million players, but there are still achievements in the game that only 0.1% of people have unlocked. And if you unlock it, that's a diamond achievement.

The point of owning the game in the example was to enable the differentiating point of reference. Which was playing it before it appeared on GamePass.

We're specifically not talking about really difficult achievements here. Not sure if you're just being obtuse.

Let's say we have Game A.

Game A has 40% of people who have finished Act III in a game, which is a regular achievement, let's call it Cheevo 1.
Game A is added to GamePass. Lots of people try it - as they do - and cry off after a couple hours.
Cheevo 1 percentage is now messed up. Cheevo 1 is now a diamond achievement.

How does that actually make diamond achievements credible?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Game A has 40% of people who have finished Act III in a game, which is a regular achievement, let's call it Cheevo 1.
Game A is added to GamePass. Lots of people try it - as they do - and cry off after a couple hours.
Cheevo 1 percentage is now messed up. Cheevo 1 is now a diamond achievement.

Except that's only how it works in your head, not in reality.

cormack12

Gold Member
Except that's only how it works in your head, not in reality.
So when I unlock complete Act I on a launch game it stays diamond forever?

Guess we will find out soon

083ytgL.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Recently Retro Achievements did a system overhaul, and they added a system that I feel like everyone else could benefit from: Game Completion.

Certain achievements are marked as being part of the game's main story or completion route - and they're in order, so you can see how far along you are and your completion towards finishing a game. Each game that's set up with this new system also has a mandatory "You beat the game" type of achievement.

For example, the other day I played through 1943: The Battle of Midway (Arcade)

vSaKhIa.png

My profile also shows that this is now one of 25 games I've beaten on the platform. I guess it's kind of like a "Platinum", but without all the extra tedious bullshit. For example, I beat this game but only earned 55% of it's achievements as a lot of the rest of the set is for actually hard things like beating the game using only one quarter.

For people who want a platinum type trophy, the platform has that as well (they call it "mastered").

As someone who plays and "beats" a LOT of games, but rarely goes for extra achievements or platinum-type trophies, this is a great system for me. If Xbox got a similar overhaul, I'd be really excited about it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I have diamond achievements I've unlocked 3 years ago that are still diamond.
Have you got any in the xbox app that have a higher percentage than 15% on completion stats? I'm actually curious now, but even then it doesn't really work does it because it's only a point in time snapshot. If you get your games at launch everything would be a diamond.

Take Back 4 Blood, Act 2 completion dropped after it went on GamePass and is only now at 9% - so it's a diamond achievement.

DaGwaphics

copy Sony. I know they came later but I think their system is better and holds up more. MS is more likely to add trophies/plats than Sony is to add arbitrary numbers and gamerscore (well they do have a trophy level but it’s stupid).

I'd much rather have the score, tbh. Hopefully they leave that alone.

LordCBH

fuck-no-robin-williams.gif

That is annoying. Some games like Overwatch are a mess with the trophies separated into so many lists.

Easy solution; give the option to players to put them all back into one list if that’s how they prefer them viewed. MS is more than capable of giving the choice!

Drew1440

Id like it if the console saved a 5 second GIF capture of the game when you achieved it. PS4 sort of does this but some games time it poorly and many captures are of black screens because of this.

Hudo

Best overhaul would be to scrap that shit altogether. Sony should do the same with trophies.

MAtgS

I wonder what meaningful changes they could really make to it?
-An equivalent to platinum trophies for completing. Or at least bring back the list if completed games section 360 had (never understood why they cut that)

-Separate lists for core game and DLC (again, like trophies)

-track how many rare/diamond achievements have been earned

-Maybe all achievements add something to Microsoft rewards (not bloody likely tbh)

-Achievements coming to OG XBox games.

Top Bottom