• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The 24-h check-in policy was not in any way shape or form a good idea; this policy alone ruined any other good ideas or policies that they may have had. This makes me wonder, how does Steam handle content verification? Do they actually check every 24 hours or something? Or just the fact you are logged-in?

As for radical polices when in a digital space, well, I wouldn't go so far by saying that....as software licensing does exist on PC. So many companies are already handling that. You are issued a license and depending on the licensee there are certain rules e.g. number of devices, etc etc. I know they also talked about some other nice things but that info was shared after the backlash, more as a "Well if you hadn't responded so negatively we were also going to have all these other nice features." Basically, the messaging was all over the place.

People weren't against being able to rent/borrow/share their copies of the games so it's unfair to just say they were 8 years too early. No they weren't, they just did a poor job of communicating these nice to have/quality of life features. They did mess up. People would have given them a chance if it wasn't for that. It's easy to forget now given how long it has been.
Boiling down to a 24 hour check in is a bit hyperbolic. LIcesning in video games have never been more than a single use case. You can get around that through some loop holes to do stuff like game sharing one copy of a game but that doesnt even exist on Steam. Trying to equte something like a windows license to a copy of Halo 5 is not the same thing.

Steam introduced an offline mode i believe in 2013 but to this day its very finicky. Its a better use but it also didnt and doesnt have the ability to ever trade games in the way Microsoft was planning to.

I say there were too early because people hadnt adjusted to buying digital as they are accustomed to it now. Microsoft was going to give you the ability to share disc games digitally. Along with keeping the ability to trade the game in at a retailer. Thats unheard of to this day.

sainraja

Boiling down to a 24 hour check in is a bit hyperbolic. LIcesning in video games have never been more than a single use case. You can get around that through some loop holes to do stuff like game sharing one copy of a game but that doesnt even exist on Steam. Trying to equte something like a windows license to a copy of Halo 5 is not the same thing.

Steam introduced an offline mode i believe in 2013 but to this day its very finicky. Its a better use but it also didnt and doesnt have the ability to ever trade games in the way Microsoft was planning to.

I say there were too early because people hadnt adjusted to buying digital as they are accustomed to it now. Microsoft was going to give you the ability to share disc games digitally. Along with keeping the ability to trade the game in at a retailer. Thats unheard of to this day.
I wasn't boiling it down to 24 h check-in. I was saying that was the cause that lead to the backlash. Not the other ideas that Microsoft was considering - ideas that they didn't really talk about until after they had already backed off of their plans. My point was, what Microsoft proposed didn't fail because consumers weren't ready, it failed due to how Microsoft chose to introduce it. It's sooo easy to forget now but people had many questions on how things would work and there were no answers from Microsoft. No timely answers anyway and they chose to stay quiet as if they were thinking of what/how to address the situation they found themselves in. It all seemed reactive. They just weren't ready.

If they were organized and really ready to introduce all the features they were talking about (it is easy to talk about it vs actually doing it), they could have been the ones to lead people to "getting" adjusted to buying digital. They chose the opposite route and pretty much gave up on it. They did not actually try to understand why people were opposing the digital future they were trying to guide people towards.

In conclusion, it's not that people weren't ready, it's more that Microsoft wasn't ready. That is where they failed and the 24h check wasn't required for them to be able to implement the ideas that you are trying to call 'radical'.

As for licensing, I was simply pointing out that there were blueprints for Microsoft to follow in how they handled game licensing. They could have been the ones to lead or influence how game licensing is done going forward by limiting our digital games on a device basis or number of activations - making sure to leave us in control of what is activated and where. For game sharing, they could have provided us with a pass that we could share with our friends so they could try select games that we owned. If they had focused their efforts on verifying content we share vs verifying content that we own, they would have made more progress in convincing people that digital is ready for them.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I wasn't boiling it down to 24 h check-in. I was saying that was the cause that lead to the backlash. Not the other ideas that Microsoft was considering - ideas that they didn't really talk about until after they had already backed off of their plans. My point was, what Microsoft proposed didn't fail because consumers weren't ready, it failed due to how Microsoft chose to introduce it. It's sooo easy to forget now but people had many questions on how things would work and there were no answers from Microsoft. No timely answers anyway and they chose to stay quiet as if they were thinking of what/how to address the situation they found themselves in. It all seemed reactive. They just weren't ready.

If they were organized and really ready to introduce all the features they were talking about (it is easy to talk about it vs actually doing it), they could have been the ones to lead people to "getting" adjusted to buying digital. They chose the opposite route and pretty much gave up on it. They did not actually try to understand why people were opposing the digital future they were trying to guide people towards.

In conclusion, it's not that people weren't ready, it's more that Microsoft wasn't ready. That is where they failed and the 24h check wasn't required for them to be able to implement the ideas that you are trying to call 'radical'.

As for licensing, I was simply pointing out that there were blueprints for Microsoft to follow in how they handled game licensing. They could have been the ones to lead or influence how game licensing is done going forward by limiting our digital games on a device basis or number of activations - making sure to leave us in control of what is activated and where. For game sharing, they could have provided us with a pass that we could share with our friends so they could try select games that we owned. If they had focused their efforts on verifying content we share vs verifying content that we own, they would have made more progress in convincing people that digital is ready for them.

Gotcha. I am guessing you missed my OG post then because I said nearly the exact same thing.

Pantz

Got The Medium installed but I'm apprehensive to play it. I'm not a real believer in ghosts or another reality but it does spook me.

Back when I was first playing VR games I would wake up in the middle of the night and see dark figures in my room, sometimes right in my face and it really got my heart racing. 99% of me knows it's just my brain playing tricks on me from the new experiences with VR but 1% of me thinks there could be stuff that we just can't see in our normal reality.

If I play it I'll be pausing a lot to watch cat videos or something.

I just finished Ori and The Will of the Wisps! What a beautiful, heartfelt experience and boy did it looked amazing in 4K 120Hz. I couldn't believed Moon Studios used Unity as their engine when I looked it up. I played it on normal difficulty and I didn't have any problems with any of the bosses, Shriek took me 4 tries but the fight wasn't unfair.

The only thing that bothers me is that I'm sitting at 99% completion and I have no idea what I'm missing. I can't see anything on the map. All health/energy orbs have been picked up, all spirit trials have been completed, I have all abilities, upgrades and shards. As far as I know I got all collectibles and did all the side quests. I gotta take another look.

Anyways amazing game that deserves all the love! Waiting on The Medium now!

Edit. 100% completion achieved. I guess the game bugged on me because when I loaded the save a spirit light that I had picked up showed up again.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I can't figure it out. It's an undeniably awesome value service for gamers, yet gets shit on constantly on this very prestigious gaming forum.
Mostly a combo of fanboys of other platforms who have to shit on things the other “side” has and collector types who worry they’ll eventually lose the ability to own their games and other media. Which is silly as even with the dominance of streaming video and music you can still buy DVDs, Blu-ray’s, UHDs, CDs and even records. Not to mention various options to purchase and own digital media. All these things can and will coexist. Publishers want as many revenue streams as possible.

Bridges

Just caved and bought Hitman 3. I had activated the Rewards punch card days ago but it doesn't seem to be updating after the purchase. Do these things sometimes take awhile to pop or did I get screwed out of my precious points?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Man this is such a bummer. I feel for you. I randomly lost about 20 hours of my Horizon Zero Dawn save back when I switched from PS4 to PS4 Pro and I never went back to finish it. Deflating when you lost so much progress and investment in a game.

That sucks, but you have to go back and play it, HZD is awesome. It was the only game I really liked when I had a PS4, TLOU-R also was OK, But HZD is one of my favorite games from last gen.

Kagey K

Banned
Just started playing Jedi Fallen Order last night, one of the EA Play Gamepass games. This is fantastic! Plays great, looks absolutely gorgeous on XSX, runs beautifully, superb facial animations, and the hair👌 I’m only about 1 hour in but I’m blown away right now 👍
It’s a great game, but I had a hard time separating the main main character from his Gotham/Shameless roles.

I just couldn’t unsee it through the whole game.

I can't figure it out. It's an undeniably awesome value service for gamers, yet gets shit on constantly on this very prestigious gaming forum.
We all know why..

GP is Rapidly and Blazingly successful and NOT on Station.

Too much positive news from ms earnings today so they are out in full force to tell everyone why it’s actually bad and Xbox is declining.

Disgusting, that is why I NEVER chit chat or budy-budy with these ignorant clowns, they straight up haters!, thread derailing, shitposting on any non-stop POSITIVE Xbox news.. they can't stand it ..God Forbid something positive 🙉

Gatox

Banned
Just started playing Jedi Fallen Order last night, one of the EA Play Gamepass games. This is fantastic! Plays great, looks absolutely gorgeous on XSX, runs beautifully, superb facial animations, and the hair👌 I’m only about 1 hour in but I’m blown away right now 👍
Its a really enjoyable game.....other than that frigging map that constantly drove me slowly insane. One level trying to find an elevator had me close hunting down the developer who thought it was a good design.

Jemm

Its a really enjoyable game.....other than that frigging map that constantly drove me slowly insane. One level trying to find an elevator had me close hunting down the developer who thought it was a good design.
The lack of fast travel made it really frustrating, when you were hunting for some collectibles. IMO, there should be fast travel to the save points and ship.

Gatox

Banned
The lack of fast travel made it really frustrating, when you were hunting for some collectibles. IMO, there should be fast travel to the save points and ship.
Fully agree with that, the map and traversal mechanic in general was bloody annoying. But that was pretty much my only annoyance, though I felt you did become overpowered a bit early in the game also. That helped me though because I`m a bloody rubbish gamer.....

Banjo64

cumsessed
The trolling is off the scale in the financial thread and the 18m sub thread. You just have to laugh lol. It’s not enough for PlayStation to do well, Xbox has to fail in some people’s sad little minds.

Xbox rn;

angry power GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Gerdav

When embargo ends on The Medium?

Reviews are out now.

Last edited:
Just wanted to jump in and say hi!

I was a big fan of Xbox since the original console, but admittedly fell off halfway through the Xbox One generation with them releasing their games on PC. "I just don't see a point in owning both" and "Why would you buy an Xbox if you have a good PC?" both came out of my mouth in the last couple years...however..

Today I pulled the trigger on a Series X bundle ($650 after tax for console, extra controller, GP 3 months, and Forza Horizon 4 which I already own). My PC is having shutdown issues and that combined with the prices of GPUs being insane and not looking to go down anytime soon (My RX580 8GB is struggling to run modern games especially when I wanna play on my 4K tv) got me looking back into the ecosystem and I felt like I should jump in. I already own a PS5 Digital, and while 90% of games are available on both it was really my love for Forza and Halo combined with the fact that Game Pass on console is just nuts that got me to buy it.

While I'm admittedly more of a PlayStation guy I have some great memories with Xbox, and I'm looking forward to creating some more with you guys. Hey, maybe Halo Infinite will actually turn out to be great!

Top Bottom