• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is getting Discord support

CuNi

I bet the way games work on a console is in the way. party chat automatically turns off in-game chat and the games need to interface with the party chat System.

so Discord needs to also go through that system for it to work properly is my guess.

Yeah it's most likely that.
I also think Microsoft needs to do the work and not Discord.
I don't have any of the new consoles (PS5/XSS/XSX) so I can't talk about those, but back in 360 and XO times, you could be in a voice chat (on console) all the time, no matter if you boot up a game or are sitting in the dashboard.
I'd assume MS need to hook Discord into that part of the OS for it to work properly.

Starhowl

Great! 🥳

Now only to add USB-output (DAC-support) as well as -input (microphone-support) and the platform is perfect! 😊

BTW, where do I need to join to receive this? 😵‍💫
Omega, Delta, Beta or Alpha? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Belthazar

N1cEHZu.png

So... It seems like it has no practical use, then? If you have to start calls on your phone just chat there? Like, Nintendo was bashed for needing a mobile phone for party chat, why is this being praised?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So... It seems like it has no practical use, then? If you have to start calls on your phone just chat there? Like, Nintendo was bashed for needing a mobile phone for party chat, why is this being praised?
It's basically like changing from speakers to your bluetooth headphones, I think it's has it uses, so you have everything in your headset.

BUT

Given how trash the Discord app is for calls, many time ignoring that you have headphones and just going through your loudspeaker, I have my doubts about this

Banned

what Nintendo does is completely different, Nintendo wants you to chat on your phone.

all you need to do here is join a call on your phone and then it will let you chat through your Xbox, meaning you can have game audio and chat Audio on the same headset.
that's not possible on Nintendo Online... unless you have one of those weird ass double connector headsets for Switch that let you connect the headset to both, your phone and switch at the same time

Belthazar

what Nintendo does is completely different, Nintendo wants you to chat on your phone.

all you need to do here is join a call on your phone and then it will let you chat through your Xbox, meaning you can have game audio and chat Audio on the same headset.
that's not possible on Nintendo Online... unless you have one of those weird ass double connector headsets for Switch that let you connect the headset to both, your phone and switch at the same time
The execution is different... But you still need your phone for both. Unnecessarily cumbersome and quite frankly useless

Banned
The execution is different... But you still need your phone for both. Unnecessarily cumbersome and quite frankly useless

I wonder if you actually need your phone. the web browser on Xbox is a more or less standard chromium based browser, so that should work too imo.

also, quickly picking up your phone and pressing a button is not that much of an issue imo

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
no, Sony has the Discord features that the Xbox had since 2018, which basically amounts to showing Xbox/PlayStation activities in Discord
Ah okay!
Will give this an install later, hopefully it works well, will be good when playing with friends on other platforms.

Nah this is perfect. Just the voice being done over your console headset is nice

[Sigma]

I guess it's better than the PlayStation integration which the xbox already had before? The PlayStation integration is trash. I thought they said their would be more but everything went dark with no eta on anything so it may be final. Sad that PlayStation shutdown PlayStation Communities. We got nothing equivalent or better in return.

Last edited:
Top Bottom