• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is getting Discord support

Draugoth

Gold Member
Discord for Xbox will be available today for Xbox Insiders and will roll out to everybody else at a later point New Xbox Insiders release notes should be going up soon.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Today’s update enables a highly requested feature – Discord Voice on Xbox consoles allows you to talk with your friends and community while you play your favorite games. Planning a few rounds of multiplayer action in Halo Infinite with buddies on both console and PC? Exploring new biomes with your friends in Minecraft? See them already playing a game that supports cross-play? Connect to their voice channel and chat as you all play.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Mega! Yeah, it does seem odd that Sony made that big statement about investing and it became nothing burger...then this comes out of no where.

>Your Discord and Xbox are about to become a lot closer

kinky the magicians GIF by SYFY

Ellery

Discord is the best. Wish back in my day something as great was around to easily communicate and organize with online mates while having this amazing user interface and many more features that work well for the service they offer.

xHunter

Doesnt sound like a native solution:

Discord voice chat on Xbox works by essentially transferring voice chats from Discord to an Xbox, and it's supported on both Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X consoles. That means you can't directly join Discord calls from an Xbox, and there's no dedicated Discord app on the console. Instead, you always use the mobile app to sling calls across, and they integrate into an Xbox Party-like interface.

HTK

Banned
Sony you taking notes? Because right now you look fucking silly af.

Look at me and my partnership over a year ago and zilch, nothing, nada and then they release where you can connect PlayStation to Discord but not actual use it for what 100% of people want....VOICE FUCKING CHAT!

/rant

EDIT: Props to Microsoft/Xbox Team

Last edited:
I don't get the Discord praise; On PS we had communities which allow to exchange messages, gaming request, screenshots, ask for advices to beat a game and so on... then they killed those. Now I have to install an app on my phone which requires to be constantly online (which I avoid) for doing in a worse way the same things. Fuck that.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They should integrate Xbox chat into Matrix and promote it. Make their own Matrix client and promote this open standard. Surprised that Microsoft invests so much into failed chat solutions like Teams, Kaizala, Xbox chat only to promote Discord instead of investing into open platforms like Matrix. Mozilla already does that

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not a fan of third party chat support, the normal chat parties are fine.I guess discord support is cool. I remember Microsoft being tight with Skype.

Jormatar

Good stuff. Discord is great for crossplay. Hopefully it won't be long until PlayStation also gets this feature, maybe even as a native app where you don't need your phone at all?

RaZoR No1

They should integrate Xbox chat into Matrix and promote it. Make their own Matrix client and promote this open standard. Surprised that Microsoft invests so much into failed chat solutions like Teams, Kaizala, Xbox chat only to promote Discord instead of investing into open platforms like Matrix. Mozilla already does that
[/URL]
Skype...
dont forget Skype...
It even had its own verb... but MS let it die..

onesvenus

but Discord partnered with Xbox too, no? Just because the public hyped it that doesn't make it Sony's fault.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04...team-connect-gamers-across-xbox-live-discord/
That blog post only talks about seeing your friends statuses.
Sony's one literally talks about "allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together". They were selling their partnership as a bigger thing than what Xbox did.

Only took them 3 more years.
Didn't know PlayStation already had this

Banned
the thing is... the PS5 needs this way more imo.

I can already voice chat on PC with my Xbox friends without any issues due to the native integration of Xbox Party Chat into Windows 10 and 11

but it's always an issue playing with friends who play on PlayStation 4/5 because there is no PC app for their party chat, the only option there is using the phone app, which is obviously not ideal.

so I'm really hoping that Sony isn't overly protective like they still are with mods and also implement Discord chat

Last edited:

Banned

Discord has a web app right? that works identically to the desktop Discord... right?

well, the Xbox has an extremely good web browser with which you can even do stuff like playing Stadia and GeForce Now... you can even play web based N64 emulators and DOSbox

sooooo... shouldn't it be pretty easy to just bookmark the Discord web app and do all of that from there directly on your console?

Last edited:

CuNi

Small but steady steps, I guess?

I still don't understand where the actual issue is with just working with Discord to make a "light"-App available that for example shows you only voice-chats on a server or even only allows to Voice-Call your Friends.
There must be a reason, I'm sure, but still.

Banned
Small but steady steps, I guess?

I still don't understand where the actual issue is with just working with Discord to make a "light"-App available that for example shows you only voice-chats on a server or even only allows to Voice-Call your Friends.
There must be a reason, I'm sure, but still.

I bet the way games work on a console is in the way. party chat automatically turns off in-game chat and the games need to interface with the party chat System.

so Discord needs to also go through that system for it to work properly is my guess.

GreatnessRD

This is good news for Xbox. Now hurry up, Jimmy. I want to talk to my peasant console friends in our cross-playing games!*

*Relax, I just find using the word peasant too funny. The Master Race was wild for that one, lmao

twilo99

Right, I might be wrong then because I always use the browser, especially now since you can just "install" any website as an app in windows

Top Bottom