• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass now has over 18 million subscribers

cosmicom

Banned
A point nobody seems to notice, is that when you are playing game pass, there is so many games to play, that you spend all the time playing in xbox. My playstation is now forgotten covered by dust in total misery.

So when I buy a game, i buy it in the xbox store; I understand why profits of xbox are so big.

Last edited:

NickFire

If MS can retain this volume of subscribers at full subscription cost then holy crap that's a lot of revenue. For simplicity 20 million at 15 per month would be 350 million in monthly revenue, or 4.2 billion a year. With that kind of revenue I wouldn't be surprised if they do just make all the new purchases exclusive.

So props to MS for pulling this off so far. But no props to people acting like this is some kind of win over those who have questioned what the full story is or how profitable it actually is. Questioning and speculating on differences in reporting metrics, lack of pertinent information, why a company would make such drastic changes in 24 hours last week, etc., is exactly what you should expect to see on an enthusiast forum if people are thinking critically. And as great as the touted numbers are, the speculating and debating will be obviously continuing because all we know is part of the story right now.

Hezekiah

Banned
A point nobody seems to notice, is that when you are playing game pass, there is so many games to play, that you spend all the time playing in xbox. My playstation is now forgotten covered by dust in total misery.

So when I buy a game, i buy it in the xbox store; I understand why profits of xbox are so big.
What are the Xbox division profits? Because Microsoft hasn't even released them, so you must be an insider..?

Quarterly profit was $15.5b for the company, they don't release numbers per department. Good to see that they have the Bethesda purchase covered and then some in the first quarter. LOL
No but they do release Xbox revenue. I wonder why that would be 🤔

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

What are the Xbox division profits? Because Microsoft hasn't even released them, so you must be an insider..?

No but they do release Xbox revenue. I wonder why that would be 🤔
Same for all the other departments, they release revenue for everything but profits only in entirety. Many corporations do that, probably 50% at least. In many fields, getting too specific with profit numbers could be problematic in regards to trade secrets, etc.

DaGwaphics

They don't provide specific numbers in the quarterlies that they release, to the best of my knowledge. Maybe in phone calls or extrapolations from third parties... 🤷‍♂️

Maybe they are changing it up, not sure. Honestly, if they provide profit numbers from every division but Xbox, it wouldn't be too hard to extrapolate that. LOL

Last edited:

FrankWza

If MS can retain this volume of subscribers at full subscription cost then holy crap that's a lot of revenue. For simplicity 20 million at 15 per month would be 350 million in monthly revenue, or 4.2 billion a year. With that kind of revenue I wouldn't be surprised if they do just make all the new purchases exclusive.

So props to MS for pulling this off so far. But no props to people acting like this is some kind of win over those who have questioned what the full story is or how profitable it actually is. Questioning and speculating on differences in reporting metrics, lack of pertinent information, why a company would make such drastic changes in 24 hours last week, etc., is exactly what you should expect to see on an enthusiast forum if people are thinking critically. And as great as the touted numbers are, the speculating and debating will be obviously continuing because all we know is part of the story right now.
Good post. Good attempt to reset what is being said. This is where most of my questions are. I don’t know why Msoft is allowed to scream sub numbers for GP 3 times in 9 months but it can’t be questioned for lack of context.

NickFire

Good post. Good attempt to reset what is being said. This is where most of my questions are. I don’t know why Msoft is allowed to scream sub numbers for GP 3 times in 9 months but it can’t be questioned for lack of context.
My biggest frustration is when people conflate questioning how the xbox division is doing in profit terms and how non-xbox divisions / shareholders look at the division, with run of the mill "xbox is doomed" posters. I'll agree with anyone that the xbox is doomed posters are either lacking in their analysis or just trolling. But whether a particular product / division / etc. generates ENOUGH profit is something major corporations question all the time.

Calverz

All 1 week trials
xnzWtOs.jpg

DJTHEGREY

IMHO Game Pass is something that appeals to a lot of parents, at least anecdotally.

Buy Xbox, buy gamepass - hey, listen son, you've got plenty of games to play already.
As a parent and a gamer myself... It's a win win. Especially when kids nowadays tend to Stick to certain games. Every once in a while we find games to play together or they (or myself) try a game we typically wouldn't buy.

DaGwaphics

Why wouldn't they?
Most people don't know what GP is.
You can think otherwise all you want but until actual proof is shown saying they aren't doing this... it's what they are doing.

Where's your proof that they are doing that, until there is proof, that is not what they are doing. See how that works.

They can't legally lie with these numbers, hence why they mention subscribers in reference to GP and "active users" in regards to Gold.

S0ULZB0URNE

Where's your proof that they are doing that, until there is proof, that is not what they are doing. See how that works.

They can't legally lie with these numbers, hence why they mention subscribers in reference to GP and "active users" in regards to Gold.
They aren’t lying though as all they have to do is have someone subscribe one time and be counted.

Read through the lines...
Not seeing 18 million "active" members mentioned.

Last edited:

NickFire

Bro if you aren’t on GP anymore, they aren’t going to count you. What business counts people that aren’t on their service anymore? Lmao what?
I think you're right about your belief that they only count active accounts when they tout their subscribers. If they counted expired accounts that might lead to a host of lawsuits since they are publicly traded. But you guys might be arguing apples and oranges. Some people might believe active means paying a monthly subscription and inactive as having prepaid under a promo. I would say that definition is wrong, because active accounts just means active accounts in my book. But maybe that's where the disagreement lies?

K' Dash

Yes they would.

They aren’t lying though as all they have to do is have someone subscribe one time and be counted.

Read through the lines...
Not seeing 18 million "active" members mentioned.

Seeing all these posts from raging PS fanboys gives me life, is like seeing the annoying kid running around the restaurant trip and hit ground.

james franco GIF

FrankWza

My biggest frustration is when people conflate questioning how the xbox division is doing in profit terms and how non-xbox divisions / shareholders look at the division, with run of the mill "xbox is doomed" posters. I'll agree with anyone that the xbox is doomed posters are either lacking in their analysis or just trolling. But whether a particular product / division / etc. generates ENOUGH profit is something major corporations question all the time.
I don’t doubt it’s profitability at some point. But theyre including numbers at $1, either loophole or short term. Plus, if you’re using the $15 sub rate, that includes gold sub. So, is that profitability tied together or are we separating the 2. Because I have to imagine gold subs profitability is high since they’re just charging people to play online and voice chat. That’s another reason why I want to see gold numbers as well. It’s also the reason why they’re not so inclined to share that data.

FrankWza

Why would a PS fanboy rage over anything related to GP?
That accusation is the easiest way to poopoo legitimate questions. The truth is, the last subset of “fanboy “ to rage was just a few days ago when Msoft doubled gold prices. Imagine if they had announced these numbers AND kept to that price raise? Then you’d be seeing some raging instead of deflecting.

Last edited:

K' Dash

That accusation is the easiest way to poopoo legitimate questions. The truth is, the last subset of “fanboy “ to rage was just a few days ago when Msoft doubled gold prices. Imagine if they had announced these numbers AND kept to that price raise? Then you’d be seeing some raging instead of deflecting.

fqtfk.jpg

keep it up, I needed a good laugh today.

Nothing like a fanboy worried about the profitability of a product they don't even use.

FrankWza

keep it up, I needed a good laugh today.

Nothing like a fanboy worried about the profitability of a product they don't even use.
Did I say I was worried? I am curious though. Since you’re so informed can you tell me how how many subs are using any of the $1 options(loophole or others) and how many gold subs are mixed in? Because if you’re looking for comedy that’s where the joke is bud. ;) the punchline is 18 million

DavidGzz

Why would a PS fanboy rage over anything related to GP?

You tell us, we can't get inside your head. Also, can you show us a report from Disney plus, Netflix, WoW, etc that includes the word "active" when mentioning how many subscribers they have? Also, it's hilarious that Sony is still including me in their pathetic 2.2 million subscribers and past subscribers apparently. So sad.

I don’t have gamepass but If you have an Xbox it’s a non brainer, even at full price.
With the future iOS webapp i expect this number to raise significantly.
Can’t wait for gamepass tv apps.

K' Dash

Did I say I was worried? I am curious though. Since you’re so informed can you tell me how how many subs are using any of the $1 options(loophole or others) and how many gold subs are mixed in? Because if you’re looking for comedy that’s where the joke is bud. ;) the punchline is 18 million

The thing is, nobody using the service gives a fuck if it's profitable or not, you coming here with your concern trolling shows that fanboys are more concerned with MS making money than the people using its services. That's the joke, you're the punchline.

S0ULZB0URNE

You tell us, we can't get inside your head. Also, can you show us a report from Disney plus, Netflix, WoW, etc that includes the word "active" when mentioning how many subscribers they have? Also, it's hilarious that Sony is still including me in their pathetic 2.2 million subscribers and past subscribers apparently. So sad.
GP is a non factor for PS.
Ahh I am a PS fanboy now for stating the obvious?
I am not aware of this Sony's 2.2 million thing you are talking about?

"Netflix had 195.15 million paid subscribers worldwide as of the third quarter of 2020. Most Netflix subscribers are based in the United States, with the U.S. accounting for over 73 million of Netflix's total global subscriber base."

When people like you mention Netflix in the same sentence as GP it's not a good look for GP.

Last edited:
Why are you curious? Do you use Gamepass and are worried it will go away if you don't use it enough? You can always support it to ensure it stays around. If you don't use it, it doesn't affect you whether it's profitable for MS or not.

DavidGzz

GP is a non factor for PS.
Ahh I am a PS fanboy now for stating the obvious?
I am not aware of this Sony's 2.2 million thing you are talking about?

"Netflix had 195.15 million paid subscribers worldwide as of the third quarter of 2020. Most Netflix subscribers are based in the United States, with the U.S. accounting for over 73 million of Netflix's total global subscriber base."

When people like you mention Netflix is the same sentence as GP it's not a good look for GP.

Oh look, no active subs, that shit could mean they were once subs but not anymore. Herpaderp.

OrtizTwelve

If we're speaking in pure business terms and forecasting the future of gaming, Microsoft is doing things the right way, and I expect Sony and Nintendo to eventually follow suit in some form. I know there is PS Now, but not sure how successful it is.

The reason why I haven't bought a PS5 is because with Game Pass I am always occupied with a title or two, and I am actually basing game purchase decisions on whether "oh it will probably be on gamepass soon anyways".

Along with EA Play and the rumored Ubisoft games being made available this year, I don't see why anyone wouldn't use the service.

Good for Microsoft, but I am gonna miss hard numbers on console and software sales from 3rd party reporting groups. These cherry picked press release stats from both Sony and MS meant to excite shareholders feel more like an ad than a true picture of how the consoles are doing overall.

FrankWza

The thing is, nobody using the service gives a fuck if it's profitable or not, you coming here with your concern trolling shows that fanboys are more concerned with MS making money than the people using its services. That's the joke, you're the punchline.
If I was getting something for free I wouldn’t want to question it either. On the other hand, if millions are and I was paying an extra $10 a month for the same service I’d be annoyed too. If they don’t want the attention they can stop announcing their supposed “milestones” I they’re going to announce these “milestones” for all to hear then they are open to speculation. Are you paying $1 for 3 years or are you a sap who’s paying $15 a month while people are getting it for free with their gold sub?

S0ULZB0URNE

Oh look, no active subs, that shit could mean they were once subs but not anymore. Herpaderp.
If I was getting something for free I wouldn’t want to question it either. On the other hand, if millions are and I was paying an extra $10 a month for the same service I’d be annoyed too. If they don’t want the attention they can stop announcing their supposed “milestones” I they’re going to announce these “milestones” for all to hear then they are open to speculation. Are you paying $1 for 3 years or are you a sap who’s paying $15 a month while people are getting it for free with their gold sub?

"Xbox Game Pass has now hit over 18 million subscribers, while its Xbox Live gaming network now has over 100 million monthly active users."

It's all in MS wording.

FrankWza

Why are you curious? Do you use Gamepass and are worried it will go away if you don't use it enough? You can always support it to ensure it stays around. If you don't use it, it doesn't affect you whether it's profitable for MS or not.
Is there something wrong with being curious? If I take part in the $1 deal am I “supporting” it? Or, am I being Trojan-horsed into paying for gold and upping its profitability or is it the other way around? What am I subsidizing?

FrankWza

"Xbox Game Pass has now hit over 18 million subscribers, while its Xbox Live gaming network now has over 100 million monthly active users."

It's all in MS wording.

Live users aren’t gold users. They say 100 million live users but earlier someone mentioned there’s only 50 million xboxes in the wild. Then there’s the doubling of the gold sub...
Padded stats

scalman

meaning they never game before or they dont played anyt of those games because i dont see anything there that would be worth it it to pay monthly. i allready have all games to this day ... so what else you can give me ... its nothing there.

TBiddy

meaning they never game before or they dont played anyt of those games because i dont see anything there that would be worth it it to pay monthly. i allready have all games to this day ... so what else you can give me ... its nothing there.

Some of us have a life with kids, jobs and other hobbies outside gaming. If you're the kind of guy that buys new games day one, Game Pass is not for you. For the rest of us, it's fantastic value.

scalman

Some of us have a life with kids, jobs and other hobbies outside gaming. If you're the kind of guy that buys new games day one, Game Pass is not for you. For the rest of us, it's fantastic value.
and for that reason you just want to overpay for games you could just get on sale for cheaper ? just pick games that you really need , not play any trash that they will give you there... how could you agree with monthly payment ? did they give us every month AAA games there ? yes then please i will buy it too
again i cant guy all games because i have life , thats because i choose to pay them cheap, on sale or etc, and just solo games not online ones as i dont have time for those, in the end you see that they make only 3-4 games in year for you, or less even , so why overpay ?

Last edited:

TBiddy

and for that reason you just want to overpay for games you could just get on sale for cheaper ? just pick games that you really need , not play any trash that they will give you there... how could you agree with monthly payment ? did they give us every month AAA games there ? yes then please i will buy it too

Overpay? Trash? Yeah, I see where this is going.

Top Bottom